Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Is it just me or is anyone else having issues with the site over the past couple of days? Running very slow and often timing out when moving between pages, every other site is working ok for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iansums said:

Is it just me or is anyone else having issues with the site over the past couple of days? Running very slow and often timing out when moving between pages, every other site is working ok for me.

^^Latest update from @stevegrant on server issues on this 'Welcome Back" thread 

Edited by trousers
Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on a few things to try to improve the performance but while minimising the cost too - essentially we've now got multiple servers running which can scale up and down depending on the load at the time. The key is tuning the threshold at which new servers are made available... bit of a trial-and-error thing, unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/07/2020 at 14:57, stevegrant said:

Working on a few things to try to improve the performance but while minimising the cost too - essentially we've now got multiple servers running which can scale up and down depending on the load at the time. The key is tuning the threshold at which new servers are made available... bit of a trial-and-error thing, unfortunately.

Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again? Seriously though, whatever it is that's been done sure as hell ain't working as things stand. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

very hit and miss over the last few days, a bit frustrating but no big deal as long as it's not an ongoing issue!

Site overall though is a massive improvement from previous 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/07/2020 at 14:57, stevegrant said:

Working on a few things to try to improve the performance but while minimising the cost too - essentially we've now got multiple servers running which can scale up and down depending on the load at the time. The key is tuning the threshold at which new servers are made available... bit of a trial-and-error thing, unfortunately.

The traffic on this site is surely minimal and hardly needs a raft of servers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  •  
12 minutes ago, whelk said:

The traffic on this site is surely minimal and hardly needs a raft of servers?

They are virtual rather than physical, and a new one will take at most a couple of seconds to 'spin up'.

Edited by badgerx16
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whelk said:

The traffic on this site is surely minimal and hardly needs a raft of servers?

To put the situation in simpler terms, the old server cost £300 per month and I wasn't willing/able to continue to subsidise at least half of that cost myself, so another more flexible solution had to be found.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevegrant said:

To put the situation in simpler terms, the old server cost £300 per month and I wasn't willing/able to continue to subsidise at least half of that cost myself, so another more flexible solution had to be found.

Have you considered increasing the membership fee? Seems to be the way of the world at the moment. £5/year isn't much, maybe up to £1/month would be acceptable to most without causing everyone to leave.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, whelk said:

I think we should run our own sex industry. Should more than cover it.

Should be easy to pimp out some of the posters to sexually frustrated housewives. There's a load of massive cocks on here. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, igsey said:

Have you considered increasing the membership fee? Seems to be the way of the world at the moment. £5/year isn't much, maybe up to £1/month would be acceptable to most without causing everyone to leave.

Well, i'd pay £10 per yr.

If you don't want to increase the fee then what about having some way of giving donations (if there isn't already), i'm sure some would throw a few extra quid in!

Maybe have it as an option when membership fees are paid (additional donation £1, £5, £10 or other).

What about a poll on fees/donations?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Crikey I thought you'd be on a profit Steve not losing money!!! That's not right.

A previous ad partner went under around two years ago owing us more than £5k, so that's basically where the shortfall lies. Once we've got something reliable in place to replace that, it should be fine, but I don't want to just put any old ad platform in place because some are horrendous in terms of taking over the page, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

A previous ad partner went under around two years ago owing us more than £5k, so that's basically where the shortfall lies. Once we've got something reliable in place to replace that, it should be fine, but I don't want to just put any old ad platform in place because some are horrendous in terms of taking over the page, etc.

I know this really great media company. Loads of top content, great website, really breaking down barriers in new markets and building a global presence.

LD Sports. Look them up.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be another happy to pay £10 pa for access.

I did send a cheque off for the £5 annual subscription last year/year before but it has never been cashed so I have existed on restricted access since then

Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally un-usable for a while now for me. Constant time outs. As you are on AWS and you mentioned auto-scaling I'm assuming kubernetes containers? Or is the backend managed by a 3rd party?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having a 'mare getting on most of the time on both phone and laptop. I keep getting an error message, or more often than not, "bad gateway". The "potential downtime today - server changes" notice seem to gave been there for a week or more....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume you're still tweaking stuff Steve?

It was fine Sunday/Monday, but today it has been absolutely unusable for me. Sometimes it will fly to life again, but then when i go to reply to a post it'll just sit there.

I hope this isn't by design...!

Edited by S-Clarke
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})