Site issues

iansums

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

This is painful now.

Cant you take the site down until the problems have been sorted? 
At least with one of those Under Maintenance signs everyone knows where they stand. Clicking on a link and just waiting is bloody frustrating

^^This

Just now, stevy777_x said:

This is ridiculous, do something about this or migrate back to the old site. It was working fine

I agree, it's pretty unusable. Might as well just put a holding page up until the fault is fixed - as someone mentioned above.

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

TBH I'd have preferred to stay on the old server and upped the subscription price if that was an option. 

Agreed, if that's what it came to! This is pretty unusable bar a few days a week. Painful again this morning, not as bad, but just about 20-30 seconds to just open a thread.

It's not like it's peak time or anything, I wouldn't even attempt to use this after a match these days.

Edited by S-Clarke

I think it may have helped to know what the problem was with finances etc before the move was made. From memory it was just about updating things whereas the reality seems to be that the old server was too expensive so we've got an updated site but on a less usable platform. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

TBH I'd have preferred to stay on the old server and upped the subscription price if that was an option. 

Lets be straight, if this is not 'new normal' for SaintsWeb, it will die a slow death.  It is horrible accessing now, let alone during/after a game/big game.

All well and good people offering to pay £10, but will that be enough?  I see plenty are no longer paying at all.  I stopped paying because the MODs are fecking cretinous, not because of the aesthetics / speed of the site.  

The main Saints page is zipping along now for me, but I can’t get on the Lounge. As it seems the last post there was 16 hours ago I guess it’s a common problem.

To the concerned posts about all this, I’d just say have a bit of patience and maybe give Steve Grant a bit of a break, while it’s a minor inconvenience I’m sure he’s working hard to resolve it. I use another football site that Steve administers that switched to this format of forum about a month before we did, and it is now really slick.  There were teething troubles initially on that one for a week or two but after that it’s been grand, so hoping for the same here. Personally I much prefer this format to the old one, I thought tapatalk was crap. This one displays better on all devices. Keep the faith; and it’s not as if there’s much footy to talk about right now anyway!

Essentially we have a latency issue, which is confusing as it doesn't necessarily coincide with any sort of spike in traffic (and of course the traffic is relatively low right now - the current setup was coping much better when we had hundreds online at once at full-time in any of the recent games). When the latency levels are low, the site runs very smoothly, and with decent numbers online. Then suddenly the latency jumps to 10+ seconds and it all falls over. It's baffling and there's no trace of what's causing it at the moment.

To answer a few questions/comments from above:

No, we're not going to use Tapatalk. It's a piece of crap that actually makes things worse.

No, we're not rolling back to the old setup. The software was dated both in terms of the forum software and what was installed on the server itself, which was causing issues in itself which would have needed rectifying anyway. The old server has been decommissioned, we don't have access to it anymore.

5 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Essentially we have a latency issue, which is confusing as it doesn't necessarily coincide with any sort of spike in traffic (and of course the traffic is relatively low right now - the current setup was coping much better when we had hundreds online at once at full-time in any of the recent games). When the latency levels are low, the site runs very smoothly, and with decent numbers online. Then suddenly the latency jumps to 10+ seconds and it all falls over. It's baffling and there's no trace of what's causing it at the moment.

To answer a few questions/comments from above:

No, we're not going to use Tapatalk. It's a piece of crap that actually makes things worse.

No, we're not rolling back to the old setup. The software was dated both in terms of the forum software and what was installed on the server itself, which was causing issues in itself which would have needed rectifying anyway. The old server has been decommissioned, we don't have access to it anymore.

I'm sure you'll sort it, Steve.  I quite like this new one.  (Especially when it works).

Maybe latency spikes when MLG is pedantic?

image.thumb.png.cc210573ead999e97ff64abc5963ec4c.png

Take this as an example (time is GMT, not BST, hence the hour difference), most of the time the latency is fine, but then you get this one weird spike that screws everything up for a couple of minutes - and it is a short period each time, it's just the last few days has seen loads of them in a relatively short space of time so it's seemed like it's constant.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Steve do you know why there is a particular issue with the lounge? That seems to be the worst section. 

Not sure. There's a lot of caching being used to reduce the number of database queries, and I guess where the Lounge is lesser-populated than the main forum, there might be fewer cache-saving triggers, but that's a complete stab-in-the-dark theory.

I did notice this afternoon that one of the caching engines we use wasn't - for reasons unknown - actually installed and running on the servers. Having installed and activated it this afternoon, the CPU usage has reduced significantly (although it wasn't high anyway, barely touching over 20%, which makes the latency issue even more infuriating and confusing) and the auto-scaling we have in place has decided that one server is sufficient for our needs at the moment. We'll see how that continues...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevegrant said:

Not sure. There's a lot of caching being used to reduce the number of database queries, and I guess where the Lounge is lesser-populated than the main forum, there might be fewer cache-saving triggers, but that's a complete stab-in-the-dark theory.

I did notice this afternoon that one of the caching engines we use wasn't - for reasons unknown - actually installed and running on the servers. Having installed and activated it this afternoon, the CPU usage has reduced significantly (although it wasn't high anyway, barely touching over 20%, which makes the latency issue even more infuriating and confusing) and the auto-scaling we have in place has decided that one server is sufficient for our needs at the moment. We'll see how that continues...

Do not understand all his but whatever Steve has done, site working admirably this morning. Thanks Steve. Meanwhile agree with some of the others that subs could be increased to £10 on renewal. Less than £1 per month for our daily dose is cheap at the price.

41 minutes ago, rooney said:

Do not understand all his but whatever Steve has done, site working admirably this morning. Thanks Steve. Meanwhile agree with some of the others that subs could be increased to £10 on renewal. Less than £1 per month for our daily dose is cheap at the price.

Yep very quick for me too

Re increase of subscription to £10, ok by me but a maybe those with several years subs behind them could have a loyalty bonus and stay at £5?

Or, if attacting newbies is the priority ,make the first year £5 then when the buggers are hooked double it ;-)

On 05/08/2020 at 08:40, Batman said:

beginning of the end

29 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Much quicker so far today.

Indeed. Beginning of the end of the beginning of the end maybe...? :) 

Edited by trousers

12 hours ago, stevegrant said:

image.thumb.png.cc210573ead999e97ff64abc5963ec4c.png

Take this as an example (time is GMT, not BST, hence the hour difference), most of the time the latency is fine, but then you get this one weird spike that screws everything up for a couple of minutes - and it is a short period each time, it's just the last few days has seen loads of them in a relatively short space of time so it's seemed like it's constant.

Latency of 1000ms is fine? Are you hosted on the moon? :)

Seems a lot better today btw!

Edited by Plastic

1 minute ago, Plastic said:

Lighthouse give you a performance score of 98%, so I dont know what the fuck is going on 😀

Capture.JPG

Lighthouse is about as indicative to true performance as sticking your finger in the air, unfortunately. 

https://www.webpagetest.org/ Is a much better test of page speed and what’s causing issues. 

I haven’t looked into this site at all but if it’s Javascript heavy (especially if it’s client side rendering rather than sever side) it can potentially cause issues. 

1 hour ago, Plastic said:

Latency of 1000ms is fine?

Well I'd take 1000ms over 30,000ms :lol:

So last night I went through the general permissions across the site and turned off search for guests. Turns out that guests seem to do a lot of DB-heavy searching - who knew? 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, stevegrant said:

So last night I went through the general permissions across the site and turned off search for guests. Turns out that guests seem to do a lot of DB-heavy searching - who knew? 🤷‍♂️

Far better today Steve 👏😃

14 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Lightning fast today. Thanks for all your hard work Steve.