Site issues

iansums

On 30/08/2020 at 11:17, S-Clarke said:

Makes absolutely no difference. The problem is the platform it's hosted on/forum backend, going in via specific links isn't going to make any difference (as it hasn't for me, at any point). You probably just get lucky at that one second.

I'm getting very luck then.The Google route has worked for me so far every time I've tried it, even when direct link doesn't.

Aww man... don't let this be the end. 

I started out on Saintslist via Yahoo then SaintsForever and then signed up to Saintsweb when that change happened. 

I might actually have to do some work if this place dies out and that isn't good folks. Not good at all. 

#PrayForSaintsWeb 

Just had a quick look the Ugly board and its a bit all over the place. The reddit suggestion could work I guess although that's not dedicated just for us. I don't like the multi-team board format. Its great having ONE forum that is ours. Sad times. 

It would be a help if there was some sort of update on the situation because from looking in it seems like nothing is happening, I am hoping there is work behind the scenes but as every day goes on it seems more and more like a slow death and that soon this forum will be no more, which is very sad as many of us have been on this site for years along with its predecessors.

12 minutes ago, jasonb said:

I started out on Saintslist via Yahoo then SaintsForever and then signed up to Saintsweb when that change happened. 

I might actually have to do some work if this place dies out and that isn't good folks. Not good at all. 

#PrayForSaintsWeb 

Just had a quick look the Ugly board and its a bit all over the place. The reddit suggestion could work I guess although that's not dedicated just for us. I don't like the multi-team board format. Its great having ONE forum that is ours. Sad times. 

reddit.com/r/saintsfc is the Southampton subreddit. /r/soccer is the general football one.

1 hour ago, jasonb said:

#PrayForSaintsWeb 

I followed the same route as you. It would be a shame if it folded but nothing lasts forever. I agree about the Ugly but with an influx of decent posters it does have the potential to be a good site if the worst happens here.

On 31/08/2020 at 11:20, Wurzel said:

I'm getting very luck then.The Google route has worked for me so far every time I've tried it, even when direct link doesn't.

I take it back, looks like I DID get very lucky, that way hasn't worked since I posted it.spacer.png

8 hours ago, jasonb said:

#PrayForSaintsWeb 

Try It Donald Trump GIF

https://www.sotonians.com/

Edited by Matthew Le God

23 minutes ago, st.bangkok said:

Money probably. Cheaper/shared host server option. 

The words 'false' and 'economy' spring to mind. Given £5/mth for most people is relatively peanuts (16 new pence per day) I'd venture there would have been enough people prepared to pay more to retain a quality level of service. (even if it was as much as a fiver a month I'd probably still pitch in....)

Even if it has to be a "Cheaper/shared" solution, surely there is more than one option out there in that category? Appreciate its a PITA moving stuff from one provider to another, but if the first one is no cop, then just try more providers until we find one that isn't shite...? 

23 minutes ago, st.bangkok said:

Money probably. Cheaper/shared host server option. 

The words 'false' and 'economy' spring to mind. Given £5/mth for most people is relatively peanuts (16 new pence per day) I'd venture there would have been enough people prepared to pay more to retain a quality level of service. (even if it was as much as a fiver a month I'd probably still pitch in....)

Even if it has to be a "Cheaper/shared" solution, surely there is more than one option out there in that category? Appreciate its a PITA moving stuff from one provider to another, but if the first one is no cop, then just try more providers until we find one that isn't shite...? 

Just read through this thread for first time. Sending my appreciation to @stevegrant for trying to fix this, but also for looking after the forum, often praiseless, for all these years. I would have liked to have thought that over a decade of holding this forum together and fostering this community would have given you more goodwill. Especially as there is hardly anything going on with Saints at the moment. It's not like we are gunning for the title with two games left. But there are certainly plenty who do appreciate it. And trust you to sort this out (if you don't just pack it in, which, looking through the comments, I wouldn't blame you). 

• Like 5

What ever the reasons, this place is dying on its arse.  Shame really, as it used to be a hive of activity.

No idea what the reasons are but many other Forum's do not shudder like this and have far greater numbers (and no fee).  As said, if the current owners do not have the capacity to look after it (no slight if they do not), then please pass it on.........allow the site to keep going.  Maybe new ideas, freshen the place up and inject something else into it.....

22 minutes ago, Batman said:

and inject something else into it.....

Like a host server company that gives a shit when clients entrust their forums to them you mean?

Would be very interested what other forums they host and if they have these issues.

Its such a shame what’s happened here 

Rather then all the sub forums, maybe something like Brighton’s? 

www.northstandchat.com

mainly all 1 big forum called ‘the big board’ 

and you have sub cats rather then separate pages... seems to work well and handles a lot more traffic then here. 

just a suggestion, sure Steve will come up with something that works. 

16 hours ago, trousers said:

There are forums that charge no fee at all and handle more traffic. This new software seems like it will never be good enough.

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

There are forums that charge no fee at all and handle more traffic. This new software seems like it will never be good enough.

I've used Invison forums before and I've never seen it act like this, it looks like some sort of server backend issue to me, rather than the forum software it's self.

No updates at all anymore though, I think this place is being left to die on it's arse which is a real shame. As someone has said, if Steve doesn't have the time to run this anymore, and he's done a bloody good job for years and years off his own back, then please just see if someone else would like to take it on rather than let it fall away.

16 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Like a host server company that gives a shit when clients entrust their forums to them you mean?

Would be very interested what other forums they host and if they have these issues.

Its such a shame what’s happened here 

I believe that Steve said the forum is now hosted on AWS, so Amazon Web Services, so not a piddly shared server host.

Amazon just provide a very reliable service that you pay for, the customer is responsible for ensuring that their additional installed software operates correctly.

Edit: All DNS points to AWS.

Edited by Fatboy40

Working a treat here now..... hopefully a good sign. 

I have looked at some other sites as have others I see. 

sotonians seems to be ok but a lot of content to ignore (same as here I guess) 

r/saintsfc is ok but not a massive fan of reddit

uglyinside full of ads (Rochdale F.C. news in my case for some reason)

Twitter #saintsfc hashtag - forget it. Twitter died the moment the w*nkers joined from Instagram and FB. 

That just leaves this place with a decent mixture of people wanting to debate and discuss Saints as well as a few WUM's and the history of all the previous versions of the forum. From take-over saga's (our own as well as the blue few's), dodgy statues and all the ITK. 

I hope the site can previal and as alluded to by Sydney_Saint, the work behind the scenes is much appreciated. 

I have to agree with another poster who mentioned the Brighton site; perhaps simplifying the forum could help with all the database stuff? I only ever visit The Saints, I never go anywhere else on the site. Just my 2p. 

On 01/09/2020 at 15:17, trousers said:

By the way, the suggestion someone had previously of tunneling into the site via bookmarking an existing thread does seem to boost one's chances of getting in...

I did that a couple of weeks ago when it started to go rogue. It hasn't helped. This is the first time in like a week I have accessed the site. Bookmarking hasn't seemed to help, from my experience this week.