Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

It’s run by Pap, wannabe hardman and gangster come Jeremy Cornyn fanboy. Populated by helmets like Verbal, banned from here by his wife, Prone to regular Comedy breakdowns online.  Drunken windbag Franks Cousin, another one prone to ranting although this time after a few too many Sauvignons. Then there was our forum hard man DPS/Unbelievable Jeff and that odd lad who  used to moan a lot about his job On here and started making cheesecakes. It’s certainly a strange gathering of people. 

Del, was that idiot Boris on the Ugly ever over here? 

Edited by egg
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yes that’s Romsey Stu

Cheers. He dominates it and takes every thread down a political route. Shame as there's some half decent posters over there, even after recent departures.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, egg said:

Cheers. He dominates it and takes every thread down a political route. Shame as there's some half decent posters over there, even after recent departures.

To be fair there are worse. Soggy seems to manage to have a dig at the government on every frigging post, then there is the mentalist trying to get the site shut down. That site used to be hilarious, it’s been turned into a political bitchfest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Turkish said:

To be fair there are worse. Soggy seems to manage to have a dig at the government on every frigging post, then there is the mentalist trying to get the site shut down. That site used to be hilarious, it’s been turned into a political bitchfest.

Still sore at getting yourself banned? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Still sore at getting yourself banned? 

I didn’t get myself banned, someone got me banned,  you don’t know what you’re talking about. 
anyway at least I don’t have to read your whining shite all day every day now, as someone posted when you flounced off here and popped up on TUI Typing and typing and typing and typing and typing “he’s their problem now” you and a few others have ruined what used to be a brilliant forum.

Edited by Turkish
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I didn’t get myself banned, someone got me banned,  you don’t know what you’re talking about. 
anyway at least I don’t have to read your whining shite all day every day now, as someone posted when you flounced off here and popped up on TUI Typing and typing and typing and typing and typing “he’s their problem now” you and a few others have ruined what used to be a brilliant forum.

Multiple log ins wasnt it? No one else got you banned. Normal posters don’t get banned. It is a much better place without your strange ITK war with several other posters and your constant wind ups. Sadly Boris is still there to carry on your tradition. Sadly also for this place, you are here.

Edited by sadoldgit
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Multiple log ins wasnt it? No one else got you banned. Normal posters don’t get banned. It is a much better place without your strange ITK war with several other posters and your constant wind ups. Sadly Boris is still there to carry on your tradition. Sadly also for this place, you are here.

No it wasn’t, the multi login thing was a load of bollox made up by someone who has multiple logins to detract away from them.  like I said you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve only ever posted under two logins on there, one I stopped using years ago when I started using TCM and Nick knew who both of them are.  Unlike you I actually know quite a few of the people on there in real life. Still between you lot you’re ruined what was once a great forum. I’m not going to go into why I was banned but it wasn’t for any reason that you’ll find anywhere on that forum that was all bull sh-t. Oh and by the way you only think it’s better without me because there is only one or two who call out your nonsensical dopy whinging left. There are loads of weirdos on there now nodding along with your weird political ranting having turned a football forum into a place to slag off the government endlessly. Very strange but then I guess that’s why you fit in now and like it so much. 
 

Edited by Turkish
Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason for the lack of an update was basically because I was so fucking fed up of just reading a constant stream of whinging from people.

One user who I attempted to help many years ago when he wanted a "fresh start" with a new username (but managed to out himself inside about 6 hours) and has been one of the more constant presences in this thread won't be troubling us again.

The issue appears to be a particular inefficiency within the database (for those that understand this sort of thing, some of the key tables are denormalised and the indexing is a mess) - looking in depth at the structure of it, I'm amazed they've managed to make a viable business out of something that is basically a creaking pile of crap with a shiny skin that makes it look modern. There is a new version due out soon, so I'm hoping they've fixed some of these issues in that release, but it seems at the moment that we basically get three or four days of acceptable performance followed by a week of carnage. I've got some DB experts looking at it at the moment, but the concern is that if we make changes to the database itself (adding indexes, partitions on large tables, etc), that might have negative knock-on effects to other tables and big queries that are run often.

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Appreciate the update - must admit, the last forum I ran myself was run on PhpBB - remember that? Things have probably moved on a fair bit.

Is there any appetite for moving to an entirely new forum platform (again) or is that just way too much pain? I'm guessing one of the selling points for Invision was it's 'ease' of transition from VB?

I must admit though, the last few days have been as good as it's ever been. It's always been painfully slow for a few days, and then 'usable' on the others, but honestly it's just flown over the last 2 days better than it ever has. So any changes you have made have been spot on.

Edited by S-Clarke
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Appreciate the update - must admit, the last forum I ran myself was run on PhpBB - remember that? Things have probably moved on a fair bit.

Is there any appetite for moving to an entirely new forum platform (again) or is that just way too much pain? I'm guessing one of the selling points for Invision was it's 'ease' of transition from VB?

I must admit though, the last few days have been as good as it's ever been. It's always been painfully slow for a few days, and then 'usable' on the others, but honestly it's just flown over the last 2 days better than it ever has.

phpBB still exists, but it's pretty basic these days.

Absolutely zero appetite to move to another new platform, to be honest. We'd identified this one a few years ago but the issue was always having the time to do the migration. Their conversion process is not quick (it took three days running it on my fairly powerful Macbook rather than on a web server), especially as the old database was already around 3GB with more than 2m posts, so I don't really want to have to go through that sort of pain again :lol:

I'm currently running the forum's re-indexing process, to see if something happened at one stage a while ago that screwed up the internal indexing. Worth noting that this is a code-based index rather than the indexing you'd ordinarily apply to the database itself, so god knows whether that'll make any difference or not, but that process was started on Thursday and is currently around 35% of the way through :rolleyes:

I'd say the last few days have been "stable" but not express pace. Looking at the latency numbers on the load balancer, it's averaging around 1 second, which is still too high really. But it's at least usable for now...

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stevegrant said:

phpBB still exists, but it's pretty basic these days.

Absolutely zero appetite to move to another new platform, to be honest. We'd identified this one a few years ago but the issue was always having the time to do the migration. Their conversion process is not quick (it took three days running it on my fairly powerful Macbook rather than on a web server), especially as the old database was already around 3GB with more than 2m posts, so I don't really want to have to go through that sort of pain again :lol:

I'm currently running the forum's re-indexing process, to see if something happened at one stage a while ago that screwed up the internal indexing. Worth noting that this is a code-based index rather than the indexing you'd ordinarily apply to the database itself, so god knows whether that'll make any difference or not, but that process was started on Thursday and is currently around 35% of the way through :rolleyes:

I'd say the last few days have been "stable" but not express pace. Looking at the latency numbers on the load balancer, it's averaging around 1 second, which is still too high really. But it's at least usable for now...

Thanks for the update. It's been frustrating for everyone, and I'm sure for no-one more than you. Thanks for all your efforts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@stevegrant someone mentioned incognito mode / cleared cookies yielded a quicker response and I have to say I’ve seen similar. Although you may have a DB latency issue, I wonder if you may also be caching dynamic load balancer / responding node addresses in-browser which are causing the bad gateway issues.

worth a look anyway as I can’t see any reason why high latency DB queries would resolve to a bad gateway response. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhhh right, high latency on the gateway responder because of unresponsive oversize database tables on the php coding interface.  Can't believe I never thought of that earlier.... all's well that ends well though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Brett from Camden bites the bullet for relentless whining, how apt 😆

That was hilarious wasnt it. He was outed as Dell Days within hours of his new login, then pretended to be Brett from Camden before finally admitting to being Jamie the Navy Chef. 🤣

Edited by Turkish
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Turkish said:

No it wasn’t, the multi login thing was a load of bollox made up by someone who has multiple logins to detract away from them.  like I said you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve only ever posted under two logins on there, one I stopped using years ago when I started using TCM and Nick knew who both of them are.  Unlike you I actually know quite a few of the people on there in real life. Still between you lot you’re ruined what was once a great forum. I’m not going to go into why I was banned but it wasn’t for any reason that you’ll find anywhere on that forum that was all bull sh-t. Oh and by the way you only think it’s better without me because there is only one or two who call out your nonsensical dopy whinging left. There are loads of weirdos on there now nodding along with your weird political ranting having turned a football forum into a place to slag off the government endlessly. Very strange but then I guess that’s why you fit in now and like it so much. 
 

Interesting how you manage to turn a thread about the forum problems into something all about you and posters that you don’t like. Your ego is out of control mush. You are the reason I don’t post here very often nowadays. Congratulations.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Interesting how you manage to turn a thread about the forum problems into something all about you and posters that you don’t like. Your ego is out of control mush. You are the reason I don’t post here very often nowadays. Congratulations.

You're the one who turned the thread into something else pal, i was in a conversation with Egg about TUI after he asked me a question about it. You then started making snidey little digs at me. Dont try and pretend you stopped posting on here because of me, you weren't even on my radar until you started posting your drivel on TUI. It soon became quite clear your relentless cry babying has made you a an insufferable joke across both forums, congratulations, i dont think anyone has ever achieved that before. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have taken the opportunity to take a pop at several people you don’t like. And yes, once you started stalking me here after your digs on another site, I decided to spend less time here. You are exactly like Boris with all this childish “cry baby stuff”. The Ugly is a better place without you and Dune. This place would be a better place without you.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You have taken the opportunity to take a pop at several people you don’t like. And yes, once you started stalking me here after your digs on another site, I decided to spend less time here. You are exactly like Boris with all this childish “cry baby stuff”. The Ugly is a better place without you and Dune. This place would be a better place without you.

What is untrue about saying that you have a dig at the government on pretty much every single post? You do. And there is someone trying to get the site shut down, Nick posted it on there when he had to ban a few people. If you want to cry making out it's me saying nasty things about people i dont like then that's your perogative, just because you dont like it doesn't make it untrue. Sorry about that.  As you for laughable comment about me stalking you, weren't you claiming you dont post on here because of me only an hour ago? Yet here you are reply to me over and over again, jumping on a thread that has nothing to do with you with the sole intention to post about me, you haven't thought this through have you.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's definitely something in this incognito thing. If i try to come in through the home page or a landing page it will hang and not open. If I do the same in incognito, I get in and the navigation is quick. Hopefully there's a simple fix.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Keep posting Turkish. I for one very much enjoy your irreverent style. If it has the effect of making soggy post much less then that's a big fat brucie bonus. 

Funny how certain types stick together. You are another reason I don’t post so often, so you can both congratulate yourselves. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Funny how certain types stick together. You are another reason I don’t post so often, so you can both congratulate yourselves. 

So basically you dont like people who dont agree with you. Odd for someone who is desperate to prove how open minded they are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So basically you dont like people who dont agree with you. Odd for someone who is desperate to prove how open minded they are. 

Come on chaps, this has gone on for long enough. Can't you just agree to disagree and leave it at that and perhaps in future even ignore one another. 

We can all read your points of view and where they differ we can make up our own minds a bout who we believe.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Come on chaps, this has gone on for long enough. Can't you just agree to disagree and leave it at that and perhaps in future even ignore one another. 

We can all read your points of view and where they differ we can make up our own minds a bout who we believe.

Ironic isn't it on a thread titled 'Site Issues'.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2020 at 19:51, Plastic said:

@stevegrant someone mentioned incognito mode / cleared cookies yielded a quicker response and I have to say I’ve seen similar. Although you may have a DB latency issue, I wonder if you may also be caching dynamic load balancer / responding node addresses in-browser which are causing the bad gateway issues.

worth a look anyway as I can’t see any reason why high latency DB queries would resolve to a bad gateway response. 

Must admit I'm not 100% sure where I'd isolate any of those issues, tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})