Saints 1-0 Liverpool — Reaction

Jimmy_D

MotM  

305 members have voted

1. 1. MotM

16 hours ago, Hairlesshero said:

Doesn't appear to be correct though if they are saying seven seasons in a row e.g. in 2017/18 we lost both games against the reigning champions Man City.

Similarly in 2018/19 we lost both games against then reigning champs Chelsea.

I thought the stat was that we're the first club to beat all seven premier league champions a season after they've won it.

30 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

He was dire for us in the league cup final against manure..gave them everything!.. but tbf to him he didn’t fall for the dippers antics last night ! Stood up IMO 👍🏻

I can only really remember the offside call being bad about that final? And tbf to Marriner - he was at the mercy of his lino for that.

I generally think he's a decent referee.

"The guys believed in what they’re doing. It’s a perfect evening"

At The Coaches’ Voice, we work together with the greatest minds in football to provide entertaining, educational and impartial content for all football fans. We also employ a number of professional coaches to carry out tactical analysis and player scouting. A fantastic result for the Saints, read about how the Champions were toppled last night. We hope you enjoy it.

Southampton 1 Liverpool 0: Tactical Analysis - The Coaches' Voice

Thank you,

The Coaches’ Voice

21 minutes ago, The Coaches Voice said:

At The Coaches’ Voice, we work together with the greatest minds in football to provide entertaining, educational and impartial content for all football fans. We also employ a number of professional coaches to carry out tactical analysis and player scouting. A fantastic result for the Saints, read about how the Champions were toppled last night. We hope you enjoy it.

Thank you,

The Coaches’ Voice

Cheers

some nice articles on Nigel Adkins and JWP as well.

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

I also thought that Walcotts tackle may have had a further closer look. There again it was biter bit as that was a classic Milner tackle he had the pleasure of receiving

it was a bad tackle. I've only seen it once, but definitely yellow, possibly red. Just the sort of tackle that Milner has avoided cards somehow his whole career.

3 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Both of Mane's penalty appeals were dives where he threw out his arms before falling over - it is the tell tale sign that refs look for. Watch them both again - clear as day. 

I actually thought there was contact by KWP, but it wasn't enough to fell Mane, but having felt it, he then dived with arms thrown out. There is a slight delay between contact and him falling, a sure sign of a dive. My fear was VAR would just focus on the contact and ignore the fact it didn't cause him to fall over, that was all his own doing. Thankfully they either didn't think there was significant contact, or agreed with me that the only reason he ended up on the ground was because he dived.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Yeh this is the point, in any fair and objective world that is never a pen, that is Mane looking for a pen, I am not even sure JWP touched him at all with his legs it looked like basically a shoulder on shoulder challenge that should have never knocked a strong player like Mane over, but of course he is looking for a pen.

The problem is the biased refs give those things to the big clubs, so their fans see that all the time and think they are getting done out of a pen. 

The Liverpool v Fulham game was a classic example IMO. Fulham completely outplayed Liverpool and deserved to win IMO, Fabinho goes through a player standing foot trying to challenge the ball, Ref doesn't give a pen and VAR doesn't over turn it. 

What does Klopp moan about? The tiniest of hands on the back of Salah in the build up to Liverpool's goal where Salah (as usual) goes down like he has been shot. 

They need to start dishing out yellows for these dives and going down to easily, then when some of these players start getting bans they might change their behaviour. 

He literally tripped over his own feet, it was an absurd penalty. 

The problem is the refs are bad and give the big clubs huge benefit of the doubt and then VAR, likely with another biased ref operating it, so they won't over rule it as an 'obvious mistake'. 

I watched that Fulham game too and totally agree. You didn’t mentioned the pen they did get at the very end to get the undeserved draw - banging a free kick to the middle of a wall which may have touched a hand (not convinced it did and even if it did it would have slammed into the body so didn’t prevent a goal).

seeing them moan about the decisions last night is a total eye opener for me.  I had no idea they were that detached from reality. I felt we were a little hard done by in the Fulham game but reasoned it against the pen we did get against Brighton so it balances out....as it should. Nothing to complain about compared to that handball goal Watford got against us a couple of years ago and other refereeing aberrations.

On top of everything else, their greed in this project big picture makes me ill. Club of the people when they dump the rest of the league at the first sniff of money and all of sudden they would qualify for such a league after winning their first ever premier league (following in the footsteps of bigger teams like Blackburn and Leicester).... Most disgusting team in the league

Edited by tpv01
Edit

Great result tbh didn't think we were going to get a result ,but very pleased we did. They only managed 1 shot on target i think. Nice to see the youngsters given an opportunity ,when i saw Long warming up i feared like most the emptiness of yes he give defenders something to think about runs alot etc......newsflash hes well paid to do just that wouldn't you?.....Valery as we all know just didn't seem to have enough conviction that he was getting to the ball in time to put enough behind his shot,but that said we played well enough to be deserving of 3 priceless European spot points.

27 minutes ago, Chez said:

I actually thought there was contact by KWP, but it wasn't enough to fell Mane, but having felt it, he then dived with arms thrown out. There is a slight delay between contact and him falling, a sure sign of a dive. My fear was VAR would just focus on the contact and ignore the fact it didn't cause him to fall over, that was all his own doing. Thankfully they either didn't think there was significant contact, or agreed with me that the only reason he ended up on the ground was because he dived.

Interestingly the Sky researchers fed Carragher (maybe I am being disingenuous towards him) an interesting point about that challenge by KWP  later in the post match analysis. playing it back KWP as they were side by side and not KWP coming in angled from the side, KWP plants his foot square as if to block any cross rather than try and reach across Mane to touch the ball which would have been grounds for a possible penalty - that said the rough and tumble leading up to Mane taking the dive in many games has seen that as the reason to give one, especially Salah (anf (Rashford) can hit the deck if someone farts within 10 yards of them. 

Think Theo as he got straight up after wiping out Milner was likely viewed not to have been out of control - our senses were probably heightened whilst watching that we instantly thought it was the kind chance a ref would gift a cheap opportunity to our opposition for.

3 hours ago, The Coaches Voice said:

Thank you,

The Coaches’ Voice

Thanks dude, always love to understand our tactics and application so will add this website to my list.

1 hour ago, Saint Billy said:

I thought Bednarek was an unsung hero in the match last night, and others for that matter. He made a last gasp tackle which was a game saver. Gets on with his job quietly and effectively. 

Agree bednarek did well last night he isn't a showy player so often his work goes unnoticed even Stephens made some vital blocks 

5 hours ago, eelpie said:

How good to see Liverhampton flounder without their stolen ex-Saints players (Mane excepted) in the team. 

How good it was that ex Liverpool player Ings scored the winning goal. You're not having him back, suckers!

Most of the ex-Saints have been moved on. Only Mane and a cameo by AOC. Time to put this jibe to bed.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

8 hours ago, manzo said:

I thought the stat was that we're the first club to beat all seven premier league champions a season after they've won it.

Yes.

https://www.espn.in/football/blog-the-toe-poke/story/4280216/how-did-southampton-make-premier-league-history-by-beating-liverpool

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Coaches Voice said:

Thank you,

The Coaches’ Voice

Great Nigel Adkins article link below this too. 

Morning Saints.

It's taken a little while to get registered with you so I can post on here. Just wanted to thank you guys for going out of your way to give the entire country a lift, after the lockdown announcement, by beating that filth of a club. Excellent performance in what has been a season, so far, littered with excellent performances. Whilst we seem to have everyone and his dog banging on about Leeds and their "genius" of a manager, arguably the best footy played this season has been from yourselves.

I do hope you manage to keep Ralph at the club, he's been superb and seems to be a genuinely likeable fella.

Oh and kudos to KWP too for keeping that animal Mane in his pocket. I was disappointed that we sold him to you, but pleased as punch that he's doing so well. Mind you, we've done well with PEH, so win/win for both of us.

All the best for the rest of the season from at least one Yid lol.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Bigeye said:

Morning Saints.

It's taken a little while to get registered with you so I can post on here. Just wanted to thank you guys for going out of your way to give the entire country a lift, after the lockdown announcement, by beating that filth of a club. Excellent performance in what has been a season, so far, littered with excellent performances. Whilst we seem to have everyone and his dog banging on about Leeds and their "genius" of a manager, arguably the best footy played this season has been from yourselves.

I do hope you manage to keep Ralph at the club, he's been superb and seems to be a genuinely likeable fella.

Oh and kudos to KWP too for keeping that animal Mane in his pocket. I was disappointed that we sold him to you, but pleased as punch that he's doing so well. Mind you, we've done well with PEH, so win/win for both of us.

All the best for the rest of the season from at least one Yid lol.

Just for the record, most Saint's supporters like Sadio Mane and loved his time at St Marys.   Calling him an animal seems way out of line to me - KWP did play well and his battle with Mane was one of the highlights of the game.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Just for the record, most Saint's supporters like Sadio Mane and loved his time at St Marys.   Calling him an animal seems way out of line to me - KWP did play well and his battle with Mane was one of the highlights of the game.

Agreed. There seems to be an unpleasant, almost racial (I know, but it is similar) element to the hate for the club. I can't stand them myself, because of the players they have had from us and because of their air of entitlement, but that is evident in a lot of Big Six clubs (and Everton). Clearly there have been disasters that have affected attitudes such as Hillsborough, which of course was not the fault of the fans, but the police. Heysel was different because that was disorder that led to innocent lives lost, however it is claimed that there was a significant far right element from other clubs inciting the violence. I would say that Liverpool could have taken more responsibility for the tragedy and they seem to reflect on it like they do Hillsborough, i think the two were very different. However, every time i go to Liverpool, i generally find their 'proper' supporters decent enough, fair in criticism or praise. So whilst i will be the first to stand up and banter with their fans (when we can again), i won't be singing 'always the victim..." etc. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, fez said:

It is funny because it is probably a handball, Theo should have gone, Armstrong went down at the slightest touch, but don't they all (Mo Salah), thought the JWP foul was outside the box anyway, the one by the line was not a pen.

But surely all we have to do is post the challenge on Ings last season at their's, not given, they go up the end and score their first. And the back pass that was so obvious everyone saw it except the ref.

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

It is funny because it is probably a handball, Theo should have gone, Armstrong went down at the slightest touch, but don't they all (Mo Salah), thought the JWP foul was outside the box anyway, the one by the line was not a pen.

But surely all we have to do is post the challenge on Ings last season at their's, not given, they go up the end and score their first. And the back pass that was so obvious everyone saw it except the ref.

That sort of contact has historically never been considered as handball and only under a short term madness was it penalised as such. Modern penalty interpretations are a scourge on the beautiful game and when a supposedly ‘great team’ like Liverpool have to resort to specious arguments when they can’t even get close to scoring a goal you know that madness has descended upon us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That sort of contact has historically never been considered as handball and only under a short term madness was it penalised as such. Modern penalty interpretations are a scourge on the beautiful game and when a supposedly ‘great team’ like Liverpool have to resort to specious arguments when they can’t even get close to scoring a goal you know that madness has descended upon us.

I agree, there seems to be no clear definition anymore and clearly no consistency. The rule makers are ruining the game, it was fine before. I think anything that is fact or not, such as goal line tech or offside VAR is fine by me, mistaken identity too and even in or out of the box (even that is difficult as was the Brighton one, but that is a rare occurrence), but fouls and handballs, leave it to the ref and his/her assistants please. I don't believe they make any more mistakes than VAR. 

4 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

I don't see how that should ever be a handball, its only recent years such madness has happened, you are talking a ball blasted a player barely a metre away who is making a perfectly natural movement to block the ball and his arms are in a perfectly natural position. 

Zero intent for the ball to be blocked by his hand, zero movement of his hand to the ball and next to no time to react.  It's pretty much text book accidental handball, it happens and you move one.

Luckily the right decision prevailed and the madness from the start of the season stopped, where they were giving pens right left and centre just because the ball happened to brush a shoulder. 

Theo's was not a great tackle but hardly a red IMO and Armstrong was fouled, plus Thiago got away with a few fouls anyway whilst on a yellow. 

Mane's is a pure dive, they go shoulder to shoulder and then because he sees he's in the box and the ball is going out of play he goes to ground whilst trying to leave his leg into WPs, but I don't even think there is any contact on the legs, it's just Mane trying to buy a pen. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I don't see how that should ever be a handball, its only recent years such madness has happened, you are talking a ball blasted a player barely a metre away who is making a perfectly natural movement to block the ball and his arms are in a perfectly natural position. 

Zero intent for the ball to be blocked by his hand, zero movement of his hand to the ball and next to no time to react.  It's pretty much text book accidental handball, it happens and you move one.

Luckily the right decision prevailed and the madness from the start of the season stopped, where they were giving pens right left and centre just because the ball happened to brush a shoulder. 

Theo's was not a great tackle but hardly a red IMO and Armstrong was fouled, plus Thiago got away with a few fouls anyway whilst on a yellow. 

Mane's is a pure dive, they go shoulder to shoulder and then because he sees he's in the box and the ball is going out of play he goes to ground whilst trying to leave his leg into WPs, but I don't even think there is any contact on the legs, it's just Mane trying to buy a pen. 

All subjective but Walcott's challenge, i mean, thats what i do not get with VAR, they can rule offside based on a toe, but like the WH player booting Che the other day, i mean, that was a penalty, all day long. They could not have looked at Walcott's challenge really but is it because the ref did not blow up? Does the referee need to blow for a foul and then they look at it and say 'you might want to look at your card choice?' like Bertrand v Leicester and Dnejpo in Newcastle? So, if the referee doesn't give anything, VAR does not intervene unless its offside or handball?

2 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

All subjective but Walcott's challenge, i mean, thats what i do not get with VAR, they can rule offside based on a toe, but like the WH player booting Che the other day, i mean, that was a penalty, all day long. They could not have looked at Walcott's challenge really but is it because the ref did not blow up? Does the referee need to blow for a foul and then they look at it and say 'you might want to look at your card choice?' like Bertrand v Leicester and Dnejpo in Newcastle? So, if the referee doesn't give anything, VAR does not intervene unless its offside or handball?

There are four things that VAR can check and intervene on:

• Goals.
  • Red Cards.
  • Penalties.
  • Cases of mistaken identity.

The Adams kick to the head would never be looked at as a potential penalty because it was in our own penalty area!

VAR could have intervened with Walcott this week (no dependency on the ref 'blowing up' first), but they will only intervene (by sending the ref to view the challenge on the pitch-side monitor) if they feel the failure to award a straight red card for serious foul play is a clear and obvious error on the part of the referee.

Sorry, bit late to the party here but WELL DONE SAINTS.

Once again, results like this prove we literally have nothing to be scared of in this league. We will get edged out by superior teams here and there but thankfully, gone are the days or ritualistic spankings. It's nice to finally be in a position where you can look at a fixture list with anticipation, rather than foreboding.

Heroic defending, superhuman workrate from most players. It's hard to pick a MOTM. Thankfully Liverpool only registered 2 pea rollers the entire 90 and we done an excellent job of reducing them to that.

Bit annoyed the media banged on about the lack of depth on Liverpool's bench and how they were missing crucial players. Equally, we were depleted but just got on with things, as we always do.

Anyway, nothnig sweeter than a victory over that horrid, horrible lot. Over the absolute moon, especially for big Ralph. Damn, you gotta love him.

• Like 1

I see Capello has questioned why Ralph was crying at the end. Said it was well over the top and I have to agree, a bit embarrassing. Unless there is a real reason behind it that we are not aware of, beating Liverpool FFS is hardly beating the Barca or Real. We beaten them plenty before and will beat them again. I know Ralph hasn’t taken any points off that twat but to show him that much respect, bit much and a bit cringy. 

27 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

I see Capello has questioned why Ralph was crying at the end. Said it was well over the top and I have to agree, a bit embarrassing. Unless there is a real reason behind it that we are not aware of, beating Liverpool FFS is hardly beating the Barca or Real. We beaten them plenty before and will beat them again. I know Ralph hasn’t taken any points off that twat but to show him that much respect, bit much and a bit cringy. 

There is the crux. Nobody knows what is going on in his personal life or in his head. I fail to believe an experienced, top flight manager like Ralph would cry purely because we beat an off-form Liverpool, we're not that crap, so I can only assume he has something else going on in his life that culminated in the victory. 

Brits by tradition have a stiff upper lip (for better or worse, maybe it's why we struggle to open about our mental health...) but Ralph is Austrian so maybe it doesn't apply to him.

49 minutes ago, trousers said:

Good article, didn’t know a lot of that. Okay, so if it was was an outpouring of genuine emotion over a culmination of these things (and to be fair, this article can only speculate on that), maybe Ralph should have said, instead of saying it wa the wind. That, to be fair, would be the strongest message in respect of mental health etc. But by trying to cover it up, arguably sends the wrong message. 

Treated myself to watching the whole match again - this time without the stress but with the ability to look at certain players and watch what they were doing.  The main thing that struck me second time round was the work rate Theo put in defending.  Many times (including the first half when it was a more even match) he sprinted back to provide defensive cover.  We all know he's quick but when that pace is used to defend and get back in shape it's a great asset to have.

I must admit the second half second time round was still stressful - in terms of much of that Liverpool build up play down the left side.  Hard to believe that all of that only led to one shot on target!  😃