Saints 1-0 Liverpool — Reaction

Jimmy_D

MotM  

305 members have voted

1. 1. MotM

Get the fuck in there!! What a win!!! I could lay superlatives at the whole team. Back 4 collectively were magnificent. All minimum 8/10. Don't believe the media or Klopp narrative. They had a tonne of attacking talent out there with Firminho, Salah, Mane, TAA, Robertson, Thiago even. To keep out one of the best attacking sides of the last couple of years needs every single defensive player to be on top. 

JWP was the general. Always in the right place. Always calm when in possession. And got the assist. I dunno how we hold onto him. 

I mentioned it at half time but want to mention it again. This is what happens when you have a ref who doesn't buy all the diving bullshit from the top clubs. A performance like that and we probably would have beaten them last season as well. I'm sure Liverpool will storm about and moan, but this is what a fair refereeing performance looks like. Fans of the top clubs just aren't used to it and so think it is bias. Nah mate. The only decision obviously in our favour was the headlock. 

So proud of the side. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The Ref is bound to be dropped from the next round of fixtures. He forgot to implement the 'top 6 rule' with some of those decisions 😆

Revenge for Kevin Friend's performance for them in 2015 🙂

• Like 4

Fantastic performance. Limited Liverpool to almost nothing in front of goal, despite their possession, and that without Vestergaard and Romeu.

Diallo... could be an absolute gem we've found there!

Credit to Valery who effectively killed most of Liverpool's momentum after he came on.

Happy New Year SWF ^_^

• Like 1

Absolutely brilliant tactics by Ralph, especially putting Valery on to help protect KWP - incredible performances from EVERY single player, but Ings showed his class and KWP was incredible against Mane.  Diallo is a revelation...Romeu may struggle to get his place back...I thought he was fantastic.  Only slight niggle was Tella who I thought looked a little lost at times, but still a 7/10.

I think that was one of the best professional top level performances from Saints since Koeman. Absolutely elated that we beat Liverpool and convincingly too, despite what the supposedly neutral commentators will say. And to see Ralph in tears - oh boy, magical moment.

• Like 1

Put Ings as MoM. Such a clever player for us. Holds up ball, makes spaces for other, always always dangerous in any situation, launches press and works very hard. Good we had the game wrapped up to rest him for big games coming up.

diallo also massive

kwp tired and played a lot of football. Reintegration of Valery may give an option to take him out at times.

Oh shit.  What a fucking shame Danny Ings was injured at Liverpool, what a player he could be for Liverpool.#

Nah, He came to Saints as a shit also ran, and look what the manager did to give him a spark

Ralph deserved the win today, Saints deserved it, we deserved it with a Danny Ings wonder goal.

The taters, they can stick it.

The pundits, they can jack it over the Liver Birds.

Edited by Secret Site Agent
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, hackedoff said:

Off to RAWK for a laugh.

How's this for starters;

3 fucking clear pens not given. Not one. Not two. Three! Red card for Walcott not even given as a foul. Conceding from a free kick that wasn’t a foul. Yellow cards given to us like sweets and nothing for them. Absolutely corrupt bullshit from this c*nt of a ref.

• Like 2
  • Haha 22

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

How's this for starters;

3 fucking clear pens not given. Not one. Not two. Three! Red card for Walcott not even given as a foul. Conceding from a free kick that wasn’t a foul. Yellow cards given to us like sweets and nothing for them. Absolutely corrupt bullshit from this c*nt of a ref.

To be fair the vast majority of posts i saw disagreed regarding individuals claiming potential penalties.

4 minutes ago, Secret Site Agent said:

Oh shit.  What a fucking shame Danny Ings was injured at Liverpool, what a player he could be for Liverpool.#

Nah, He came to Saints as a shit also ran, and look what the manager did to give him a spark

Ralph deserved the win today, Saints deserved it, we deserved it with a Danny Ings wonder goal.

The taters, they can stick it.

The pundits, they can jack it over the Liver pBirds.

Quite. So ridiculously biased

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

How's this for starters;

Really?...none of them were penalties!

What a game and what a win. Couldn’t be more prouder of everyone on that pitch and the staff. 

As for Jamie Carragher- tbf he did say we deserved to win that game and gave some credit to our win before going on about Liverpool’s woes. The majority of the audience will be Liverpool fans and so rightly they’ll focus on Pool more. Not a problem for me- we just got 3 points!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

How's this for starters;

Ho ho, have we a victim here?

Saints brilliant to deny the champions more than one shot on target, and unable to score in the  88 minutes following Ings' goal. This was a team missing three key players; our in-form goalie, our midfield stopper and one of our two main strikers. And by the final whistle, we had added three youngsters as substitutes and still we held fast against a World class team. Before the match on here, some thought that our high pressing play would suit Liverpool down to the ground with their fast breaking attackers, but Aston Villa proved that an attacking team could unsettle Liverpool, and with their makeshift defence, it was worth sticking to our usual high pressing tactics. In fact, we threatened to hit them on the break on several occasions and could have been more comfortable with better finishing. 

With Mc Carthy out, it was at least a blessing that the back four was intact, with Stephens having been reliable in place of Vestergaard. The absence of Adams wasn't too critical because we were able to switch Walcott up top with Ings, and Diallo put in a great shift in place of Romeu. The midfield was also anchored by Armstrong, who showed great energy in winning the ball and breaking up Liverpool attacks, as well as giving good support to Walker-Peters, who kept Mane quiet most of the time. Bertrand and Djenepo gave good width up the left. We were the better team for sure in the first half, closing Liverpool down and winning the 50/50 balls.

In the second half, Liverpool came out much more energetically, put real pressure on us for the first 15 minutes and we were backs against the wall. But their shooting was wayward, and we put in some last ditch blocks and clearances and weathered the storm. We both made substitutions, but it seemed that ours worked themselves into our system smoothly, with fresh legs, and Liverpool's made their play more disjointed. Djenepo had gone off injured to be replaced by Tella, who looked lively. Ings went off to be replaced by L'lundulu on the 77th minute and Walcott went off in the 81st minute to be replaced by Valery, who would have scored a minute later, had his shot been stronger, having nutmegged their keeper.

Great performances throughout the team, and this must have been an embarrassment for Liverpool bearing in mind the makeshift nature of our team. A couple of observations aside; it only took the commentators 30 minutes to mention the 9-0 loss. A defensive clearance by Ings went out clearly for a throw, but Liverpool were awarded a corner. A kick out from Forster went out for a throw virtually at their corner flag, but they took it several yards upfield. Oh, and Forster didn't have much to do, but did it well enough, of course, to get a clean sheet.

• Like 1

Great result and nobody better to beat them the scousers, first half I thought we were total class. But gotta say the second we were very very negative and couldn’t hold the ball at all. Seemed to take to long and were playing in fear and it was inviting wave after wave of Liverpool posession..

walker peters Stephens and bednarek all were great though. Diallo too in the first half 

How bloody long did that second half feel like? I’m bloody exhausted 😂

The defence was immense tonight, once again Walker Peters was class. Diallo was fantastic but every single player, especially second half, worked their arses off. Magnificent stuff.

I’ve surprised myself by not getting annoyed at Carragher. Just watching him try to justify it and knowing there’s fuck all he can do about it is enough for me 🤣

Brilliant! Looking at our position in the league again now after what many believed to be and correctly so, poor weeks and we're outside of the Champions League on goal difference. We might actually be a top team again. Give Ralph a lifetime contract, I don't even care, I cannot imagine the team without him leading it now.

Forster, not as bad as the West Ham match, where he was flapping at everything and just trying to get a fist to the ball. Reminiscent of that match towards the end where he just took a punch, but he did do his job tonight in that he kept a clean sheet. He wasn't really tested and once again, I think that we can say he definitely won't be our long-term option based on his all round play, but for one game, he did his job.

Stephens, faultless. Had a difficult start to the season in the high line and against Villa when playing alongside Vestergaard, but when he's partnered with Bednarek he does very little wrong and puts in some brilliant blocks. Bednarek, again, colossal, so composed and so glad we put him on a new contract. Doesn't get the plaudits from neutrals, a very underrated defender outside of Southampton. Bertrand at his best defensively. Didn't do a lot going forward, but didn't put a foot wrong defensively, which to use a cliché is the priority for a full-back. And then, I cannot praise KWP enough. Brilliant against Mane. I know he wasn't exactly unknown, but still a great find by the recruitment team.

Diallo and JWP played the perfect game in the midfield. Thiago has been and pre-match was being lauded as this unbelievable world class talent, but they dealt with him superbly. Diallo winning the ball for Armstrong right before he won the free-kick for the goal and of course alongside his work rate and defensive work, JWP is the set-piece master and got the assist. Also played a lovely ball to set Ings off in the first half.

Djenepo was having a good game in that he was winning the ball and causing some issues for the Liverpool backline before his injury, shame to see him go off in tears. Had a poor year off the pitch. Armstrong looked back to his best in the first half, wasn't getting forward as much in the second half, but he was breaking up attacks well.

Ings, what a finish! Was noticeably flagging around the 65th minute, but his one moment of quality won us the match, which is all that we needed tonight. Walcott also was flagging late on, not one of his better matches either, but worked well defensively. Good tackle on Milner towards the end of his game.

Tella looked ineffectual, barring his first half shot, but strangely did look better when N'Lundulu came on, maybe it's the youth team cohesion. Additionally, when Valery came on to play right-wing I thought it was just going to be a back to the walls job and that none of these three could hold the ball up the field for us, but they surprised me and proved me wrong professionally. Again, surprisingly, we looked more capable at keeping the ball up the pitch with these three and their fresh legs. Valey could have even killed the game off, but was unlucky.

All in all, what a night! 2021 going to be better than 2020 for the Saints? 

• Like 4