Saints Vs Villa - Match Thread

os862saints

14 minutes ago, trousers said:

In all seriousness, if they're going to include the arbitrary length of a piece of cloth in their decision making then players should roll their sleeves up to their shoulder. If Ings wasnt wearing a black arm band he may have been onside. Utterly bonkers 

To be honest it's just fucking boring talking about this VAR crap week after week. It was supposed to be for ridiculous oversights and thats it. We've all been sold a pup and I'd rather just go back to how it was. At least then we could all get enraged about bad decisions without being subjected to interminable replays with coloured lines all over them that can be adjusted to 'prove' whatever you want to prove. Night all.

Edited by stknowle

If even Roy Keane thinks we should have had a pen and a goal in injury time, that says it all. Dean and Mason were predictably shamefully atrocious and everything possible went against us. 

Just have to move on, accept it’s a mid-table season, and hope we keep the cup run going. 

Bollocks, really. COYR

1 minute ago, John Boy Saint said:

Just watching the analysis the ball has already left the foot when the line is drawn. Jeez 

And in this instance, Roy Keane is absolutely right. If it's so unclear, the benefit of the doubt MUST go to the attacking team.

We watch football to see goals, not officials using every possible excuse they can to disallow them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

You seem to be confusing us with the officials. We won that match 3-1. Not just the penalty and offside, also Romeu didn't foul their GK when he dropped it and it ended up in the net.

Yep, can’t believe the players  didn’t give Mason more grief, that was never a foul.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Boy Saint said:

Just watching the analysis the ball has already left the foot when the line is drawn. Jeez 

exactly what I have been saying on this thread. They give the line drawing so much attention, but spend about two seconds deciding when the foot has connected with the ball.  VAR is so inaccurate. It's pointless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

That’s why it’s pointless drawing these lines at such minute detail, they can’t stop the frame at the exact moment contact is made on the ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Tonights definitely the most fuming I’ve been in a while

I’m not sure I can think of worse decisions in years against us or for us since we have come up

This 100% more upset with this than the gabbi offside at Wembley. Strangely 

I thought we looked pretty good tonight. Sure we didn't make anywhere near enough of our chances count, but we were creating them all through the game. We prevented Villa from having a shot for over 45 minutes in the middle of the game. We completely dominated them for most of it.

They had Grealish who was excellent, their keeper who was outstanding, and the officials who were the worst I've seen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

That’s why it’s pointless drawing these lines at such minute detail, they can’t stop the frame at the exact moment contact is made on the ball.

Exactly. The lines need to be thick to show the huge allowance for error. It's just a load of bollocks. 

...  i foresee the emergence of the PL tank top shirt...

So down the table we go, good job we are still 15 pts from the bottom 3 on our current form.

Good display 2nd half and a thoroughly undeserved defeat overall.

As for VAR, it's a lottery at the moment

Seething after that.

Almost burst a blood vessel screaming at the telly after that last VAR ridiculous call...what's happened to the level is onside? Anything that close to call should err in side of the attacking side. 

Game decided by ref and VAR. Not how it should be.

Wish I could calm down as fast as some on here. Can only hope we get the breaks we might well need later.

Shows just how much we miss Walker-Peters.

This bloody 29 points mark has been a pain - need to get anything to move into the 30's.

1 minute ago, CWD said:

VAR shitshow aside, I'm concerned by how toothless we are. The amount of times we are running forward in a promising looking attack, only for the ball to end up with Stephens is infuriating.

I know what you're saying, we often recycle the ball too much with the GK and two CBs playing between themselves for a while. Cant complain about being toothless tonight. We had a goal ruled out (somehow), a shot blocked by a hand, a couple of great saves from Martinez and a few cleared off the line. Just no luck tonight unfortunately

13 minutes ago, trousers said:

So, let me get this handball law straight...

If the ball is heading towards the back of the net, a defender is allowed to punch the ball off the line as long as it grazes his thigh first...?

Yep. If the ball is heading towards the net, go for it with your thigh but cover it by stretching your arm out just above it.

• Like 2

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

I know what you're saying, we often recycle the ball too much with the GK and two CBs playing between themselves for a while. Cant complain about being toothless tonight. We had a goal ruled out (somehow), a shot blocked by a hand, a couple of great saves from Martinez and a few cleared off the line. Just no luck tonight unfortunately

the move that led to Redmond shooting over was good too. Poor first half though.

19 minutes ago, trousers said:

If the ball is heading towards the back of the net, a defender is allowed to punch the ball off the line as long as it grazes his thigh first...?

Deleted... multiple posts.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

I know what you're saying, we often recycle the ball too much with the GK and two CBs playing between themselves for a while. 

You know we do that on purpose yeh, its an attempt to draw the opposition out to create space and then quickly get the ball forward between the lines. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep. If the ball is heading towards the net, go for it with your thigh but cover it by stretching your arm out just above it.

17 minutes ago, trousers said:

It might be even clearer than that. Flick the ball up with your foot and catch it with your hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VictiAbNonem said:

I thought we looked pretty good tonight. Sure we didn't make anywhere near enough of our chances count, but we were creating them all through the game. We prevented Villa from having a shot for over 45 minutes in the middle of the game. We completely dominated them for most of it.

They had Grealish who was excellent, their keeper who was outstanding, and the officials who were the worst I've seen. 

Really good summary - amidst the bad luck, shocking officiating and Grealish brilliance, Saints second half performance was pretty damn good and on just about any other night would have been rewarded with a point or three.   Diallo was strangely off the pace and we looked better when JWP returned to midfield.  Romeu was great, especially in the first 60 minutes.   Redmond was frustrating, while Ings showed class and commitment, and clearly should have been on the score sheet.   Really liked the cameo of Jankewitz and lets hope there are more opportunities to come.  Really missed KWP tonight.

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Ralph looks pissed off said he'd like to bring in players but no money available, I can see him eventually saying fuck it 

we have a sizeable debt. Do you really want the club adding to that? No one has any money.

If he goes, he goes. 

14 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And in this instance, Roy Keane is absolutely right. If it's so unclear, the benefit of the doubt MUST go to the attacking team.

We watch football to see goals, not officials using every possible excuse they can to disallow them.

This. Exactly. Commonsense 'tennis' rules should apply - if it's too close to call it's in (i.e. benefit of the doubt is given to the attacker). Think the linesman screwed it for us by looking so assertive in his certainty - when clearly he was wrong to be that sure.

1 minute ago, LVSaint said:

He certainly was. Undeniably nice man is Ralph....he needs to be a bit more of a coont though.

What's the point though? He'd only end up getting himself a 20k fine as 'officials are never wrong'. 

Seems a bit pointless arguing as you know you'll never win against the officials army.

2 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

I agree to a point about being unlucky tonight, but in that first half we were dominant in terms of possession etc. but never tested the keeper. Everything seems to slow when we get to the edge of the box.

I don't think this is a new thing either. We've scored a high percentage of low xG goals this season, and a high proportion of goals from outside the box for a while. These were all naturally going to dry up and even out. In terms of clear cut chances, they're few and far between.

I feel pretty livid tonight, shocking decisions and more injuries doesn't help. Just need to get a bit of momentum back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Ralph looks pissed off said he'd like to bring in players but no money available, I can see him eventually saying fuck it 

Have word with yourself - if someone is crossing his palm with a wheelbarrow full of gold - then he is walking - if no one is tempting or in for him you stay exactly where you are and wait to get sacked and have your contract paid up.

AvB sacked by Chelsea £16m pay off of contract - got the Spurs gig not long after, got binned £16m pay of of contract. 
Ralph signed 4 years? In June he ain’t just walking because no money to spend unless he has rocks in his head!

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

What's the point though? He'd only end up getting himself a 20k fine as 'officials are never wrong'. 

Seems a bit pointless arguing as you know you'll never win against the officials army.

Why do the likes of Mourhino, Klopp and Nuno do it then?