Saints Vs Villa - Match Thread

os862saints

I'd go for this if KWP is out..

McCarthy, Diallo, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand; Romeu, JWP, Armstrong, Redmond; Adams, Ings.

If KWP is back I'd play Diallo instead of Redmond in the No.10 position. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

I hope KWP is back, I don't want to see Valery in the team again. Vokins isn't anywhere near either, so he needs to drop back. Glad Bertrand will be back for this one.

I'm not sure about throwing Diallo at full back, as we take away his clear quality from the midfield. It's a really tough call. How about Ramsay? He may be a shout. Anyone but Valery, basically.

I watch far too much football at the moment, a side effect of the ridiculous lockdown, but because of that I'm able to feel like a scout watching our future opponents. Villa have been excellent last couple of games,  they took the game to Man City and were unlucky to lose there.

Grealish and Watkins look good, lots of confidence throughput the side. 

We'll need to be at our best, good record in recent times against Villa. I'd take a point. 

We need Romeu Back if kwp is still out,I’d put jwp at rb Romeu and diallo in the middle ..Armstrong and redmond out wide and ings Adams up top .. jwp will do better job the valery imo ... hopefully vesty not to far away cos jack at fault again for 1st goal ..he’s never a pass away from a mistake .. but tbf to him he’s had some good games for us of late ..

• Like 1

JWP needs a rest based on today's showing - idiotic decision to play him against Shrewsbury imo. Best opportunity to do so will probably be against United, but just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Diallo should be nowhere near the full back positions, added too much quality through the middle today.

Hopefully our bench can be bolstered over the next few weeks as there is simply nothing positive about the young reinforcements we currently have. 

Redmond should also come in for Walcott, as he offers much more when in form than Theo - so we need him to string a few games together.

On reflection this post probably comes across as negative, so I'm sorry. This life we are all living at the moment tends to make one a little bitter.

Villa are much improved this season, thought they were decent when we put 4 past them earlier this season. Having said that, the way the media and pundits talk about them you'd think they were challenging for the title.

We look tired, and it is worrying. We just don't have the squad depth to be able to rest anyone. Hopefully KwP and Bertrand are back. May even see Vestergaard and Rom

Saints 1-1 Villa

Why do people want to play Diallo all over the place?  Fucking stupid. He's a central midfielder. If we need a makeshift right back then JWP would be a better option anyway, but we should stick with Valery if KWP isn't available.  And why the hell would you play Diallo as "number 10" instead of Redmond, Walcott or Armstrong?  Walcott has been gash lately but Diallo hasn't scored a goal in his career. 

Ralph showed yesterday the folly of weakening numerous positions at once by playing people out of posiiton.

I'd bring Redmond in for Walcott and Long (yeah, I know!) in for Adams.

Obviously if Vestergaard is fit then he comes in for Stephens. If Romeu is fit then I'd probably bring him back for Diallo; not that Diallo hasn't been very good but might as well keep things as fresh as possible.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 1

Has there ever been a more divisive player than Walcott!

Sure he was a decent signing for a club without a pot to piss in, he works hard, he's a club developed player, is happy to be here, and still holds some of his pace, but over the last few games I've seen poor decision making, scuffed shots and him breaking down attacks. Could we get better for the money? Probably not, and he does do some good things, but personally he wouldn't be in my first XI if everyone is fit. If Redmond is fully fit I'd be tempted to give Walcott rest as he's played a lot lately, more out of necessity than choice. I'm not a big Theo fan but we could have done worse... or nothing.

If Romeu is back I'd be inclined to try Diallo further forwards opposite Armstrong. The lad has pace and quality and could do a job there. 

I think with injuries as they have been, we draw this. If even a couple of players return, we can beat them. I thought despite the defeat we played quite well against Arsenal, they were just better at putting the ball in the net.

It would be nice to cross into the 30's points bracket to keep up some hope of a European finish.

• Like 2

Despite many strengths, Romeu's big limitation is a lack of pace. In recent years he has always been partnered in midfield with people who are also lacking in pace (JWP/Hojberg). I'd like to see him paired with Diallo for a few games who has pace to burn as I think that would be two good players with complementary styles. I don't like moving JWP who has performed very well over the past season or two, however I am assuming that KWP will be out for a while (I did what no person should do with a health problem - I googled "quad injury" and full recovery could take up to 6 weeks).  

On that basis, if Romeu is fit and with our next two opponents playing on the left wing probably being Grealish and Rashford, I think that we need as much quality at right back as possible. On that basis, I'd rather JWP went right back than Valery. 

What happens if KWP is back earlier or whenever he returns ?  I don't know, but if it is successful playing JWP at right back and Romeu/Diallo in central mid then it is a great problem to have. 

• Like 1

If an injury to one first XI player causes a key player from another position to move and cover there instead of picking the backup player whose job it is to play in that position then it juat shows the composition of the squad is wrong.

If we have multiple injuries in a position then that is different, but at full back that is not the case.

If Valery and Vokins are not considered good enough to cover a short term absence then neither should be in the first team squad in a role that is essentially to do the above.

Diallo deserves to stay in the team for now, Romeu gives a great option from the bench.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If an injury to one first XI player causes a key player from another position to move and cover there instead of picking the backup player whose job it is to play in that position then it juat shows the composition of the squad is wrong.

If we have multiple injuries in a position then that is different, but at full back that is not the case.

If Valery and Vokins are not considered good enough to cover a short term absence then neither should be in the first team squad in a role that is essentially to do the above.

Diallo deserves to stay in the team for now, Romeu gives a great option from the bench.

Of course the composition is wrong. Everyone, including Ralph, knows we are short at full back. 

I'd rather not move anyone out of their usual position either but do you think we'd be stronger with Diallo/ JWP at right back with the other partnering Romeu or stronger with Valery at right back who has proven he is a liability and cannot defend in the premier league? 

17 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

JWP needs a rest based on today's showing - idiotic decision to play him against Shrewsbury imo. Best opportunity to do so will probably be against United, but just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Diallo should be nowhere near the full back positions, added too much quality through the middle today.

Hopefully our bench can be bolstered over the next few weeks as there is simply nothing positive about the young reinforcements we currently have. 

Redmond should also come in for Walcott, as he offers much more when in form than Theo - so we need him to string a few games together.

On reflection this post probably comes across as negative, so I'm sorry. This life we are all living at the moment tends to make one a little bitter.

JWP won't want a rest and won't be rested.

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Looking v good against Burnley. Just make sure you get that yellow Grealish

Villa were excellent at times tonight, should have been out of sight by half time, not sure how they managed to lose but fair play to Burnley who are pulling away from relegation battle. 

Grealish worries me, he makes so much space for other players with his runs, kept hoping for a booking but not our luck. 

Big mid table 6 pointer this now on Saturday, got to get at Villa, we are desperate for a motivated Ings back to his best. 

16 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Sure he was a decent signing for a club without a pot to piss in, he works hard, he's a club developed player, is happy to be here, and still holds some of his pace, but over the last few games I've seen poor decision making, scuffed shots and him breaking down attacks. Could we get better for the money? Probably not, and he does do some good things, but personally he wouldn't be in my first XI if everyone is fit. If Redmond is fully fit I'd be tempted to give Walcott rest as he's played a lot lately, more out of necessity than choice. I'm not a big Theo fan but we could have done worse... or nothing.

If Romeu is back I'd be inclined to try Diallo further forwards opposite Armstrong. The lad has pace and quality and could do a job there. 

I think with injuries as they have been, we draw this. If even a couple of players return, we can beat them. I thought despite the defeat we played quite well against Arsenal, they were just better at putting the ball in the net.

It would be nice to cross into the 30's points bracket to keep up some hope of a European finish.

To be fair, you’ve summed up Walcott career. 

despite how we are playing, I fancy our chances. As long as KWP is back that is.

Didn't think Vallery was that bad on Tuesday, not in the same class of course, but he was okay but going forward he couldn't get a decent ball in. 

Hopefully Romeu is back and if KWP is unfit, play JWP there. 

The key will be stopping Grealish but not drawing the fouls. 

Win 3 - 1

If we do not win, then that's that for the season I think, mid table pottering.

4 minutes ago, LeG said:

Re the defence...i would go

Diallo at RB

Bertrand at LB

Romeu into CDM

I would play JWP at RB on the basis it's mostly about his delivery so other than set pieces he has more of an opportunity to get some balls into the box from open play at RB. Also diallo is more dynamic and we would miss that in the middle of the field. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

despite how we are playing, I fancy our chances. As long as KWP is back that is.

Didn't think Vallery was that bad on Tuesday, not in the same class of course, but he was okay but going forward he couldn't get a decent ball in. 

Hopefully Romeu is back and if KWP is unfit, play JWP there. 

The key will be stopping Grealish but not drawing the fouls. 

Win 3 - 1

If we do not win, then that's that for the season I think, mid table pottering.

You may not have noticed that we already in the bottom half of the table.

The fact that we are in 11th position should remind us of our limitations. We have frequently seen posts bemoaning our lack of a good defence. We have been fortunate to play teams when they have had an off day. Liverpool for example had enough chances to beat us with ease and if honest there has been a few occasions where we got away with a result.

Right now our frontline is not firing which adds pressure to our defence. For me if Romeu is fit he plays. As should Diallo and JWP.I have seen Diallo and JWP sprint back to win tackles in defence or simply to block a shot. Romeu has less pace but has been excellent as a driving force in the heart of our team. The three of them should play together and  be the heartbeat of our team. 

We need to be able to stop Villa before they reach our backline and to do so need our strongest possible midfield. Then we may be able to pose a bigger threat and make the chances for Ings and Adams.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, LeG said:

I like this as well. Its good that we have options there. Diallo and JWP to double up on Grealish. 

Jwp did an amazing job on zaha last season to the point he took the piss out him..was a class performance getting zaha booked ..owned him that game ..as for diallo I’d have him pinging passes in midfield for us vs Villa ..hopefully Romeu will be fit to allow the above to happen ..give Theo at rest and start redders ..

31 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Let's hope so. He was brilliant yesterday and I admit I was willing him to score after that amazing run.

I think the OP meant that there's a risk Valery could be sent off if he went up against Grealish, not the other way round.  It's happened in the past with Valery.

On 27/01/2021 at 14:18, SNSUN said:

Theo Walcott is a very overrated footballer. His ball retention is pitiful. His finishing is erratic. His pace has mostly gone. But he's about our standard at the moment. Looks to me like one of those 'must play if fit' type of loans, as I would have dropped him or at least subbed him a bit more frequently recently. 

Ho hum.

Very scared about Villa if our defence resembles that of the other night. And we need Diallo in midfield. Eek.

37 minutes ago, DT said:

Theo Walcott is a very overrated footballer. His ball retention is pitiful. His finishing is erratic. His pace has mostly gone. But he's about our standard at the moment. Looks to me like one of those 'must play if fit' type of loans, as I would have dropped him or at least subbed him a bit more frequently recently. 

Cheers for the 'first goalscorer' betting tip ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Ho hum.

Very scared about Villa if our defence resembles that of the other night. And we need Diallo in midfield. Eek.

You mean those fictional ones which no idiot in their right mind would dream of signing.

8 hours ago, saintwbu said:

I think we’re missing Romeu more than people realise, as good as Diallo has been. We looked soft as shit against Arsenal the other night. Romeu has been a wall this season. 

I'd say we're missing Vestergaard more than people realise. That's not something I thought I'd be saying a year ago.

Our key outlet to breaking an opposition press was by having Vestergaard play an accurate ball through the middle (by passing the oppo's midfield) or accurately switching play to the right flank. It was a tactic which was getting us success time and time again, we were breaking through a teams midfield through one Vestergaard pass.

If you watch the way we played, we'd draw the team onto us...and then he'd make the pass, and half the oppositions team would be out of the game and we'd be in their half. We don't have that now.

We have Jack Stephens thinking he is Frank Beckenbauer - and then giving the ball away, that's it. Jan Bedenrak has never been that sort of player (passer) so I don't expect that from him.

And away from that...set pieces. He was a massive threat from a JWP free kick/corner. If he didn't always get on the end of it, his presence would leave another player free.

That's what we've missed in my opinion. That's why we look so poor going forward. A lot of our attacks were started by an accurate piece of distribution from our centre back, Jannik Vestergaard.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd say we're missing Vestergaard more than people realise. That's not something I thought I'd be saying a year ago.

Our key outlet to breaking an opposition press was by having Vestergaard play an accurate ball through the middle (by passing the oppo's midfield) or accurately switching play to the right flank. It was a tactic which was getting us success time and time again, we were breaking through a teams midfield through one Vestergaard pass.

If you watch the way we played, we'd draw the team onto us...and then he'd make the pass, and half the oppositions team would be out of the game and we'd be in their half. We don't have that now.

We have Jack Stephens thinking he is Frank Beckenbauer - and then giving the ball away, that's it. Jan Bedenrak has never been that sort of player (passer) so I don't expect that from him.

And away from that...set pieces. He was a massive threat from a JWP free kick/corner. If he didn't always get on the end of it, his presence would leave another player free.

That's what we've missed in my opinion. That's why we look so poor going forward. A lot of our attacks were started by an accurate piece of distribution from our centre back, Jannik Vestergaard.

Yes and at the other end of the pitch Vestergaard was giving us a genuine threat from corners, don't think we've won a header in the opposition's box since he has been out. At one point Vestergaard was matching VVD in his peak Saints performances , but now he's been out for weeks let's hope he can return to the same form. Terrible timing for this injury. 

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Villa looked very useful midweek despite their loss to Burnley...they’ve got some great players other than grealish capable of causing us headaches.

Think Diallo should be kept at DCM and JWP in at leftback if Romeu is fit.Otherwise unchanged.could go eith

Surely you mean right back as Bertrand returns from suspension ?

Hopefully KWP is fit again and we don't have to shift JWP at all !

Edited by eurosaint

9 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

KWP still out (wonder how long this will go on, with no access to recovery facilities). Presumably Valery will continue at RB. Romeu and Djenepo back.

If Romeu is ready to start then Diallo may move to right back. Hasenhuttl said he is looking for another solution at right back and has already shown he us willing to use Diallo at full back.

“Kyle still needs a little bit of time. I don’t know how long, but he will not be available for this game on the weekend, and therefore we have to find another solution for the right side.”

19 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Spot on!!

43 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If Romeu is ready to start then Diallo may move to right back. Hasenhuttl said he is looking for another solution at right back and has already shown he us willing to use Diallo at full back.

“Kyle still needs a little bit of time. I don’t know how long, but he will not be available for this game on the weekend, and therefore we have to find another solution for the right side.”

JWP to right back, Diallo in the middle with Romeu.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Diallo has the pace and dribbling ability which makes him better suited than Ward-Prowse to be a fullback in our system.

He does but I was just thinking JWP would be able to do his little trick of keeping a threat quiet, ie Grealish in the same way he does with Zaha. Either option is preferable to Valery.

Edited by beatlesaint

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints Vs Villa - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic