Saints Vs Villa - Match Thread

os862saints

39 minutes ago, Chickendippers said:

Valery needs gametime. Square pegs and round holes never ends well. (I've been reading too much 50 shades of Bearsy)

Valery isn’t good enough, regardless of needing game time. 

21 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If you watch the way we played, we'd draw the team onto us...and then he'd make the pass, and half the oppositions team would be out of the game and we'd be in their half. We don't have that now.

We have Jack Stephens thinking he is Frank Beckenbauer - and then giving the ball away, that's it. Jan Bedenrak has never been that sort of player (passer) so I don't expect that from him.

Out of curiosity, do we know if Salisu is more of a Bednarek or Vestergaard type of CB? 

1 hour ago, Minsk said:

If a choice of JWP or Diallo at RB then JWP every time. I thought Diallo looked completely lost when moved to LB the other night and was even (at least partially) at fault for their third goal.

Agreed. He was out of position for the goal, and at other times. Although Diallo has more pace, JWP has shown that he's at home at full back. I have a feeling it'll be Diallo though. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Supposedly more of a ball playing centre half, so in the Vestergaard camp (Plus he's left footed).

Maybe we'll find out one day!

I thought I heard in an interview with Semmens he’s more of a Bednarek type, I could’ve completely made that up. 

3 hours ago, Minsk said:

If a choice of JWP or Diallo at RB then JWP every time. I thought Diallo looked completely lost when moved to LB the other night and was even (at least partially) at fault for their third goal.

That may be true but JWP / Romeu have a fantastic understanding and automatism in midfield and we must recreate and hang onto that. Diallo at RB for me, he has proved that he is a great defender and can win tackles and also has the pace to bomb forwards down the right flank. I'd start with Theo even though he looked a bit jaded the other night - age probably a factor with quick turnover of games - with Redmond on at 60 mins. Armstrong of course

He and Djenepo need to be eased back in rather than chucked straight in the deep end. There's not much to choose between the three of them if we're honest.

I feel better times are returning starting tomorrow; 3-0 to Saints

Forster:  Diallo - Bednerak - Stephens - Bertrand:  Walcott* - Armstrong*: Adams* - Ings

*Subs: Redmond, Djenepo, N'Lundulu

Edited by Charlie Wayman

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Good news on Romeu being back in contention, as well as Moussa - which surprised me.

Could have some attacking options on the bench again with Moussa and Redmond. Squad filling out a bit again.

''Look what you could have had! But I was a senile old fool, so I went for these guys instead''

Only KWP and Vestergaard missing now so running out of excuses.

Pretty clear from the second half of Ralph's presser that Romeu, JWP and Diallo will all start with presumably Diallo or JWP moved to RB.

Talked about how when you have players of quality you must find them a space in the team, even if it isnt their perfect position.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Pretty clear from the second half of Ralph's presser that Romeu, JWP and Diallo will all start with presumably Diallo or JWP moved to RB.

Talked about how when you have players of quality you must find them a space in the team, even if it isnt their perfect position.

I may be mis-remembering things here, but my recall is that Ralph used to eulogise about how important it was to his system not to play players out of position. I guess it's a case of reality trumping idealism. (Or just my poor memory!)

1 minute ago, trousers said:

I may be mis-remembering things here, but my recall is that Ralph used to eulogise about how important it was to his system not to play players out of position. I guess it's a case of reality trumping idealism. (Or just my poor memory!)

If KWP is out and he doesn't consider Valery to be an adequate replacement, then it's moot. 

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hope it’s diallo in midfield and jwp rightback. 

I think it will, JWP did a good job once before, but I think Grealish at the moment is a different challenge , whoever played right back in this game is going to find it tough. Matty Targett seems to get forward a lot down that wing, turned into a good player, fair play to him, they'll also have ex-saint Mings in the line up who Seems to have a chip on his shoulder when it comes to us, he'll be up for it. 

I'm going for 2-2. 

• Like 2

On 29/01/2021 at 08:38, eurosaint said:

Surely you mean right back as Bertrand returns from suspension ?

Hopefully KWP is fit again and we don't have to shift JWP at all !

Yeah, sorry did mean right back. Doesn’t look like KWP will be back so for me JWP fits the bill there over anyone else...even Valery.

As usual, I know mostly nothing about individuals but I'm picking a SFC win becuase, basically, it's time for one. I think (hope) this team now has enough self-belief to  win against another side who does not appear to be demonstrably better than it.

Edited by Jeremy

26 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I don't think Villa are that good tbh, they're just much improved from last season. Before nearly throwing it away, at 4-0 up we were all over them.

Think we'll win this fairly comfortably.

I think we will win this one comfortably too. We will want to bounce back after Tuesday night and we would have had an extra days recovery over Aston Villa. 2-0 to us tonight with Ings and Prowsey scoring :) COYR

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

I don't think Villa are that good tbh, they're just much improved from last season. Before nearly throwing it away, at 4-0 up we were all over them.

Didn't we nearly throw it away after losing Bertrand and Bednarek to injury and re-shuffling our back 4 losing the presence of JWP  in the middle of the park, not changing mid game but feels similar this time. (We owe them for injuring Ings, he's not been quite the same since) 

Think Villa deserve a bit of respect , we think we've had a good season, they are above us with a game in hand. Definitely the most improved team that's for sure. 

14 hours ago, Dusic said:

Ralph makes it up as he goes along.

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I don’t think there is much between the teams, we were going off the boil before the injury crisis. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints Vs Villa - Match Thread
4 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Personally think you are much mistaken it certainly won’t be comfortable - draw for me.

23 hours ago, Appy said:

Valery isn’t good enough, regardless of needing game time. 

Yet he was no worse than ings and theo against arsenal... Give him a go he has something to prove & there is potential of a good player in there

The annoying thing with Walcott and Redmond is they play their way out of the side, rather than one of them playing into the side. Walcott has been poor recently so can't complain if he gets dropped. But I have pretty low expectations of Redmond who could easily have some poor games and then we swap them over in a month. 

WHy would this thread be called the match tread already!!!? I thought I got the timing wrong and missed the fucking start!!!!

I know 5 quid is no big deal, but it took me a lot of effort to sign up with international problems...........OK, I\m just a bit pissed at windmills really, but hey! I had a stressful 10 minutes with phone calls to robots! :(

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

The annoying thing with Walcott and Redmond is they play their way out of the side, rather than one of them playing into the side. Walcott has been poor recently so can't complain if he gets dropped. But I have pretty low expectations of Redmond who could easily have some poor games and then we swap them over in a month. 

Quality over quantity is having JWP, Romeu and Diallo in CM. Our AM options currently are quantity over quality and they are all inconsistent (with Armstrong occasionally being the exception). However bringing in AM-N would give us a further option in the AM position, which may be the way to swaying his decision. 

I still hope to see Redmond tonight though if he is fully fit. Keep Walcott as the impact sub. I suspect Ralph will favour Theo though.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Yet he was no worse than ings and theo against arsenal... Give him a go he has something to prove & there is potential of a good player in there

There isn’t anything there for me. 

The other two are proven premier league players who have done it before, with Ings being our best player, you can’t compare them. 

26 minutes ago, Appy said:

There isn’t anything there for me. 

The other two are proven premier league players who have done it before, with Ings being our best player, you can’t compare them. 

I'm not suggesting he is as good as them full stop I'm just saying in that game he performed no worse than those two... Actually did more on his runs forward.