Saints Vs Villa - Match Thread

os862saints

Dermo Gallagher saying ball hit cash’s thigh. Saying it wouldn’t have hit his hand. 

So if it deflects off you it’s fair game to save a goal bound shot? His hand moved to the ball to save it, it didn’t hit thigh and then cannon off a static arm, he moved his arm to the ball. Game’s gone mad. 

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

As much as it was a pen, I'm not blaming us losing on anyhting other than our ineptness at getting the ball in and around the box and getting shots on target. If we could just do that we'd be winning games. 80 odd percent possession first half no shot on target. Villa look more dangerous than we do and they've barely seen the ball FFS.

• Like 1

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Dermo Gallagher saying ball hit cash’s thigh. Saying it would have hit his hand and it wouldn’t have hit his hand. 

So if it deflects off you it’s fair game to save a goal bound shot? His hand moved to the ball to save it, it didn’t hit thigh and then cannon off a staunch arm, he moved his arm to the ball. Game’s gone mad. 

Old Boys club unfortunately 

1 minute ago, Nordic Saint said:

McCarthy's reflexes were appallingly slow for a Premier League goalkeeper. Any other goalkeeper would have just stuck his right arm out and saved that like the Villa defender did at the other end.  It came at a perfect height for him to save. 

his reflexes look pretty good when he made that one handed save low to his left that kept it 0-0. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

Agree with the posts above. Worrying as to how we have gone backwards and struggling to even get shots on target at the moment. 

Isn't this just our usual mid season blip though? Can't remember us never having a poor run of games in the winter, even in the Koeman hay days

Edited by trousers

1 minute ago, Ekelund said:

Clearly its a pen. Robbed. Any money its given with a full SMS screaming for it. Ffs

So many of the contentious penalty calls are 50/50 but the Cash handball looked blatant and obvious.    JWP needs to be shifted off Grealish - swap with Diallo perhaps.   

We're looking like we've been found out for what we really are... Average. 

Good job we accumulated some points early on as we seem to be in free fall at the moment. Based on this form we'll do well to finish above 15th. I honestly can't see where the next points are going to come from at the moment. 

We're getting nothing tonight. Utter shite. 😡

2 minutes ago, obelisk said:

I'm starting to wonder how long it'll take to reach 40 points. As an attacking force Saints are as blunt as a very blunt thing.

Don't reckon we'll need 40, 35-38 will probably do it this season. 

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Isn't this just our usual mid season blip though? Can't remember us never having a poor run of games in the winter, even in the Koeman hay days

Yeah last season was the only exception with 4 wins out of 5 I think

Another day (with a different ref/var) we get a deserved early penalty and it's a different game. About time refs were answerable for their decisions - he's been appauling throughout.

From a team perspective you could argue that Romeu should have tracked Barkley's run, but other than Walcott again being anonymous again I'd keep going as we are.

6 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

McCarthy's reflexes were appallingly slow for a Premier League goalkeeper. Any other goalkeeper would have just stuck his right arm out and saved that like the Villa defender did at the other end.  It came at a perfect height for him to save. 

His weight was going the other way which meant there was no chance he could have dived to his right. It was a clever header by Barkley.

7 minutes ago, obelisk said:

I'm starting to wonder how long it'll take to reach 40 points. As an attacking force Saints are as blunt as a very blunt thing.

At least we have one day of the transfer window to sort it out!

Hate to say it but would take a draw from here...

Consolation prize is Martinez is my Fantasy team keeper.

10 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Dermo Gallagher saying ball hit cash’s thigh. Saying it wouldn’t have hit his hand. 

So if it deflects off you it’s fair game to save a goal bound shot? His hand moved to the ball to save it, it didn’t hit thigh and then cannon off a static arm, he moved his arm to the ball. Game’s gone mad. 

I understand refs sticking together but surely he can’t really believe what he’s saying there 🤣 what an absolute farce.

If, and it’s a big fucking if, it did hit his thigh it caused a hairs breadth of a deflection and it was going to hit his hand regardless. 

The thing with VAR in the league is it still comes down to the decision of one man in front of a screen, it shouldn’t come down to their opinion, especially a cunt like Dean.

• Like 1

Just now, Saint_clark said:

How the fuck have they given that throw in to them as well. Something dodgy going on with these officials today.

And then booked JWP for, rightly, trying to stop it after the Villa player took the throw before the lino raised his flag either way.

It's corruption. There's no other explanation for such blatant incompetence.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Consolation prize is Martinez is my Fantasy team keeper.

Not aimed at you as a person SNSUN, but there’s nothing worse than people that think having something go their way in their fantasy team at the expense of Saints is any kind of “consolation”