Saints 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

For Gawd’s sake. He was at his near post for a shot close to his near post. 

You’re writing pony. Where he was stood, to the left of him was near post, to the right far post. Had it gone to the left of him, would you have said he was beaten on his far post? Of course you wouldn’t. You’re embarrassing yourself, give it up. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You don't lose 6 games on the bounce and have two 9-0's over two seasons because of bad luck. You do that because you have a bad team. Let's not focus on the 'decisions'. It's gone beyond that.

I'm amazed we have never lost 6 in a row before given what utter turd we were for years battling relegation. I definitely think we are better than some of those shit sides and whilst bad officiating doesn't excuse what have been some cr@p displays we should absolutely have had a penalty against Villa, and today if the pen against us is right (just about was imho) then we have to be given the Dendoncker one. So that's 2 of the 6 defeats that wouldn't have been (assuming we didn't fuck the penalties we should have been given up). None of this disguises the fact that though we look good in parts of games - usually in the first half - we look shit in other parts and our biggest issue for me is our utter cluelessness in breaking teams that sit back down. At no stage today after going behind did we really look like turning it around. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

For Gawd’s sake. He was at his near post for a shot close to his near post. 

That was a near post goal. Always has been and always will be.

Beaten at the near post is when the ball goes between the keeper and the near post. Always has been, always will be.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Some of you wrist slitters should just give up supporting Saints and go and support P*mpey. All it takes is one Skate in our midst to criticise Hassenhuttl and you are jumping in bed with them and joining in.

LET'S BE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR: at a time of poor investment in the club, following on from a period of bad investment and mismanagement of transfer policy, Ralph Hassenhuttl has steadied the ship and got us playing decent football. If he leaves, we are stuffed!

I would far rather the wrist slitters take their fishiness down the road and let real Saints supporters get behind the club. To put it simply: if you don't like it, get lost!

So you're a skate and...something intelligible about fish if you dare to be critical of a bloke that has overseen the worst run in Southampton history. 

Get fucked mate.

• Like 4

That was poor from Ralph. Tactically we were completely undone. Second half we did nothing to chase the game, no plan B. Bizarrely we had Djenepo and Redmond both down the right. 

We can moan all we want about VAR and decisions, but they're just excuses.

We've got big problems. 

• Like 1

The problem is the lack of investment.

We have the likes of McCarthy, Bertrand, Stephens, Redmond, Walcott, Adams and Djenepo getting into the starting XI. 

That’s going to weaken any team. These are all borderline EPL players. Yes some of them show a flash of brilliance once in a while but at this level it’s not good enough. 

We are an accident waiting to happen. Whether it is by our own doing or by the ref/VAR we have players with a non-EPL mentality who capitulate so easily and let their heads drop.

We badly need good investment. I’m already worried for next season if we don’t (which we won’t).

• Like 2

Decisions have cost us massively this season.

Like the way we play so don’t want Ralph to go but when we concede, he loses his head. Can’t Continue managing from touch line. That is reflected in the laboured, blunt way we chase games whether we are 9-0 down or 1-0 down. No urgency. No plan B.

6 losses in a row is unacceptable in any job.

I will admit this for the first time today. I have half an eye on Graham Potter.

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, obelisk said:

I've given up counting the number of points dropped from winning positions. Is there something wrong in the players' heads?

And yet again I have to say Saints failed to apply any sort of pressure after going behind. Wolves finished that game very comfortably. I think it's safe to say that opposing teams know exactly how to handle Ralph's tactics now.

This we have no answer to teams who know how to counter our style, the high press is good to watch when it works but it's a high risk strategy and clearing isn't working at the moment, I like RH but he's showing no signs of being able to mix it up just persisting with the same old thing and his second half performances are terrible 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You don't lose 6 games on the bounce and have two 9-0's over two seasons because of bad luck. You do that because you have a bad team. Let's not focus on the 'decisions'. It's gone beyond that.

The same bad team that was top of the league after 12/13 games and into the quarters of the FA Cup? We're in a bad spell, but we're not a bad team

• Like 1

Well!!!

The pen at Villa not given, hand way out to left ???????? This one was and RB was trying to keep his hands out of the way... make your own minds up, i have 🤬

Moussa on and contributed nothing....our best player off, needs explaining 😧

Redmond did pretty well...

Season over as we wont win the cup..

And i bloody hope KWP is not out again.

Oh and last lastly, some of the shyte written on here... incredible :mcinnes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This losing leads every week thing is so deflating. The inconsistent officiating that seems to always go in the oppositions favour. The 9-0 defeats that we'll now be reminded of for the rest of time. The record for most league losses in a row. Our favourite players always leaving. It's enough to make you start to question whether its really worth it.

Take a chill pill mate.  We are Southampton FC, we have won nothing for years, we win the occasional battle against a big club, but ultimately the fan experience is going to be negative unfortunately.  I fully expect us to be relegated this season,  we can do it, believe me. Anything else is a bonus.  Hold tight. 

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’re writing pony. Where he was stood, to the left of him was near post, to the right far post. Had it gone to the left of him, would you have said he was beaten on his far post? Of course you wouldn’t. You’re embarrassing yourself, give it up. 

Don’t try to be codescending to me, you’re not very good at it. Your understanding is very limited.

He was beaten and he was standing at his near post. It’s called his near post because that’s where the shot came from.

Come back when you’ve played in, watched or refereed over 2500 games. Until then keep your snide comments to yourself.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, LeG said:

I can take it when we deserve to lose, but the decisions going against us are actually a joke now? What the hell is going on? Do other teams feel like we do at the moment? In any other business, this would be seriously looked at. Not angry at Saints, angry at the sport. Its just not enjoyable any more. 

The decisions are weird, but now we've had a pop at Dean we're not likely to get the decisions. 

Regardless, you've got to control what you can control. Ralph hasn't got a plan to chase games. If he has I can't see it, and it isn't working. 

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

The same bad team that was top of the league after 12/13 games and into the quarters of the FA Cup? We're in a bad spell, but we're not a bad team

We overachieved, riding on the crest of a wave.

Our default position is where we are now and losing leads like we always do.

Always find when we're chasing the game in the final minutes, its comfortable for the other team. We don't throw the kitchen sink at it, we continue with this dull sideways passing despite time not being our friend. 

When the roles are reversed, we are always hanging on. Its infuriating to watch. 

The rot is set in deep. This isn't a good team, the finances of the club are horrific. Something needs to change at the top for us to go back to being the decent side we were for 3 years under Poch/Koeman. I just cannot see that happening, we are stuck at being an irrelevant PL club until we're relegated under the current ownership. 

4 minutes ago, LeG said:

I can take it when we deserve to lose, but the decisions going against us are actually a joke now? What the hell is going on? Do other teams feel like we do at the moment? In any other business, this would be seriously looked at. Not angry at Saints, angry at the sport. Its just not enjoyable any more. 

This

• Like 1

Just now, Avenue_Saint said:

Forster saves that shot at his near post

Got the winning lottery numbers for next week as well have you? 

As a keeper in that situation you cover the near post which is what he did. Sometimes it hits you, sometimes it doesn't. He would have barely seen the ball. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Norm said:

Wolves deserved the points.

No they didn't, not over the whole of that game, they only got back into the game through a terrible refereeing decision (in fact two as we should have had a pen as well), from that point on how the game goes its unknown.

A competent ref we are 2-0 up with like 30 mins or something left. 

Goals change games, especially for teams a little low on confidence which is what both teams are as neither is in great form.

At key moments this team is consistently being let down by the officiating. 

Could we play better? Yeh sure, but loads of teams win and draw games when they don't play well, especially against other teams not playing well, but at the moment we are on of those teams who is playing decently to average and are losing games not because we are massively outplayed, but because the referees are gifting our opponents free goals or taking goals away from us. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 3

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Don’t try to be codescending to me, you’re not very good at it. Your understanding is very limited.

He was beaten and he was standing at his near post. It’s called his near post because that’s where the shot came from.

Come back when you’ve played in, watched or refereed over 2500 games. Until then keep your snide comments to yourself.

Oh you’re a referee, it all makes sense now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Micky said:

Take a chill pill mate.  We are Southampton FC, we have won nothing for years, we win the occasional battle against a big club, but ultimately the fan experience is going to be negative unfortunately.  I fully expect us to be relegated this season,  we can do it, believe me. Anything else is a bonus.  Hold tight. 

I'm not expecting us to win anything. Footballs far too unbalanced for us to ever do that. However, we've broken all the wrong records this last two years and it must stop.

1 minute ago, davefizzy14 said:

The fact the main talking point on amazon prime is about the bad penalty decisions in this game says it all!!

I agree with what shearer is saying zero consistency in handball decisions! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

The problem is the lack of investment.

We have the likes of McCarthy, Bertrand, Stephens, Redmond, Walcott, Adams and Djenepo getting into the starting XI. 

That’s going to weaken any team. These are all borderline EPL players. Yes some of them show a flash of brilliance once in a while but at this level it’s not good enough. 

We are an accident waiting to happen. Whether it is by our own doing or by the ref/VAR we have players with a non-EPL mentality who capitulate so easily and let their heads drop.

We badly need good investment. I’m already worried for next season if we don’t (which we won’t).

That’s the nuts and bolts of it really. When you pose the question how many of our team would get in for example Leicester’s (an example of the next step), none of those you have named would. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Near post, far post, middle of the goal, what's the point?! He was beaten with a good finish and arguably should have done better. Details don't matter. 

Being beaten at the near post as KD had a penchant for is when the ball goes between the post and the goalkeeper when he is stood next to the post,

not smashed across him into opposite side netting ,i does`nt matter how many games you have watched or ref`d, the above is fact

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LeG said:

• Like 1

Putting aside today's second half dross and poor decisions by the ref and frankly our own players the real problems with our club is investment and ownership, there's absolutely no point in banging on about Ralph who can't freshen it up with no transfer money, and frankly the players who give less than 100% each game know there's no threat to their place because no one new is coming in to challenge them. We I'm afraid will be in this very position until we are sold, and it's a big if when that will ever happen. 

6 minutes ago, LeG said:

I'd argue and say we deserved too lose today. It was a shocking performance in second half even before the penalty we was all at sea. No plan B from Ralph when chasing game or to react to opposition change in game plan. Players are weak mentally. Romeu was knackered and on yellow which put us at disadvantage but no alternative on bench. Zero urgency or intensity in 2nd half which is not acceptable.

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Yes, he was standing at his near post but the shot beat McCarthy on his right hand side towards the far post.     Have to laugh at those saying Forster would have saved it!    Totally frustrating 2nd half set in motion by that absurd penalty call against Bertrand.  Very disappointed in Minamino and Djenepo.  Thought Redmond did ok and that volley from Ings deserved to earn something for Saints.

We may not be relegated, but in this form, 17th is looking a possibility!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You're on your own with this one Whitey. 

Literally everyone else knows that saying "beaten at the near post" means the ball going between the keeper and the near post. 

I will acknowledge, though, that Forster would probably have saved that. 

Just watched the two handball incidents again. Why do we bother watching this choreographed nonsense?

Maybe they could just let me know they won’t be calling the game correctly and I can have a nice lie in after a busy tiring week?

Who was on the VAR today? Mitch McConnell?

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm not expecting us to win anything. Footballs far too unbalanced for us to ever do that. However, we've broken all the wrong records this last two years and it must stop.

Exactly my point, those are the only kind of records that we will ever break or be associated with.  I really wouldn't put it past us to go down this season. 

• Haha 1

Just now, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I'd argue and say we deserved too lose today. It was a shocking performance in second half even before the penalty we was all at sea. No plan B from Ralph when chasing game or to react to opposition change in game plan. Players are weak mentally. Romeu was knackered and on yellow which put us at disadvantage but no alternative on bench. Zero urgency or intensity in 2nd half which is not acceptable.

No question we deserved to lose. No fight at all in that second half. You could see it straight away, Wolves upped the tempo and yet again we couldn't live with it. 

• Like 2

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic