Saints 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

Another important game, this time in the league.

You'd expect Wolves to revert to their usual side with Traore, Neto, Coady etc coming back in. 

Hopefully the win tonight puts us on the front foot and we must've gained a lot of confidence from the all round performance.

I'd stick with the same back 5 personally, especially after a rare clean sheet. I suppose the main arguments are does Vestergaard come back in for Salisu and does Forster keep his place?

Forster; KWP, Bednarek, Salisu, Bertrand; Romeu, JWP; Armstrong, Minamino; Adams, Ings.

Subs: McCarthy, Stephens, Vestergaard, Chauke, Finnigan, Djenepo, Redmond, Tella, N'Lundulu.

Go strong, it is an important game. They will throw the kitchen sink at us.

McCarthy

(I'd prefer Forster but McCarthy is no 1 for Ralph)

KWP, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand

Romeu, JWP, Armstrong, Minamino

Adams, Ings

Looks a strong side,  Tella and Salisu to get game time if the game goes our way.

The only caveat is whether Redmond plays, usual poor finishing tonight but he worked hard and occupied their defence. He's a Ralph style player.

Things look brighter than a few days ago.

Edited by macca155
  • Like 2

I don't think Ralph will start with Salisu in this one and pretty sure he'll keep McCarthy in goal for PL games, so probably this:

McCarthy

KWP - Bednarek - Vestergaard - Bertrand

JWP - Romeu

Armstrong - Takumi

Ings - Adams

Very strong team on paper...

P.s. do we know how long Diallo is out for?

Edited by trousers

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Another important game, this time in the league.

You'd expect Wolves to revert to their usual side with Traore, Neto, Coady etc coming back in. 

Hopefully the win tonight puts us on the front foot and we must've gained a lot of confidence from the all round performance.

I'd stick with the same back 5 personally, especially after a rare clean sheet. I suppose the only argument is does Vestergaard come back in for Salisu?

Forster; KWP, Bednarek, Salisu, Bertrand; Romeu, JWP; Armstrong, Minamino; Adams, Ings.

Subs: McCarthy, Stephens, Vestergaard, Chauke, Finnigan, Djenepo, Redmond, Tella, N'Lundulu.

What is important about it? Pretty routine and no one outside the two clubs will give a fck about it.

And those ‘rare’ clean sheets we had against Fulham, West Ham, Liverpool  Shrewsbury , Arsenal and now Wolves in last 10 games which is pretty bloody decent. Obviously losing last 5 PL games isn’t great.

• Like 2

Id definitely be inclined to start tella on Sunday if i was Ralph .. thought his cameo was excellent he looked sharp and very quick liked the look of him  .. bring Redmond  on as an impact sub ..and Minamino for djenepo .. Keep Fraser in he’s earnt it ..another 2-0 saints 💪🏻

5 hours ago, whelk said:

What is important about it? Pretty routine and no one outside the two clubs will give a fck about it.

It's important for us, you silly sausage. It's a Premier League game in which we're involved in. Who gives a f**k about what anyone else will think about it? 

Now that Europe looks unlikely does that mean we don't care where we finish in the league or what results we get in our remaining games? Football fans in this day and age, honestly. Desperate for social media likes and attention from "the big clubs" and pundits. As the song goes, We are Southampton, we don't care about you.

5 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Got to get Minamino and Adams in from the start. Redmond and Djenepo I'm afraid not cut out for it. Djenepo in particular, I really want him to come good but it's just not gonna happen.

Totally agree. Redmond needs to drop out of the squad not just the starting 11. Djenepo at least tries to beat people and take on his man, but he often runs past the ball and doesn't do anything with it. Scored 3 goals (2 great, 1 good) but very little else in all this appearances. 

8 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Forster needs to start, Vestergaard in for Salisu, other than that, same team. 

Absolutely Forster needs to start. Yet another good performance from him last night but I get the horrible feeling Ralph will start with the out of form McCarthy. Forster has been great off his line recently and gives the defence a lot of confidence. McCarthy mustn't start.

Vestergaard/Salisu/Bednarek I'm not so sure about. Ralph now has a real decision to make. I think Vester and Salisu will be our future CB pairing but Bednarek played well last night and was brilliant up until fairly recently when he had a slump. Tough one. Will probably be Salisu on the bench to slowly get him up to speed which is fair enough.

Personally I'd go:

Forster, KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand, Romeu JWP Armstrong, Minamino Adams Ings

Edited by niceandfriendly

57 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

It's important for us, you silly sausage. It's a Premier League game in which we're involved in. Who gives a f**k about what anyone else will think about it? 

Now that Europe looks unlikely does that mean we don't care where we finish in the league or what results we get in our remaining games? Football fans in this day and age, honestly. Desperate for social media likes and attention from "the big clubs" and pundits. As the song goes, We are Southampton, we don't care about you.

God knows what you're babbling about. 

Tomorrow's match is pretty inconsequential whatever you say.

Obviously it doesn't mean that people here don't want us to win, thats just a fiction you've constructed in your own head.

But for people to describe tomorrow's match as important is wrong. It's not important.

I've been following Saints for 30plus years and we've played lots of games and guess what? A handful were "important".

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

Totally agree. Redmond needs to drop out of the squad not just the starting 11. Djenepo at least tries to beat people and take on his man, but he often runs past the ball and doesn't do anything with it. Scored 3 goals (2 great, 1 good) but very little else in all this appearances. 

Absolutely Forster needs to start. Yet another good performance from him last night but I get the horrible feeling Ralph will start with the out of form McCarthy. Forster has been great off his line recently and gives the defence a lot of confidence. McCarthy mustn't start.

Vestergaard/Salisu/Bednarek I'm not so sure about. Ralph now has a real decision to make. I think Vester and Salisu will be our future CB pairing but Bednarek played well last night and was brilliant up until fairly recently when he had a slump. Tough one. Will probably be Salisu on the bench to slowly get him up to speed which is fair enough.

Personally I'd go:

Forster, KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand, Romeu JWP Armstrong, Minamino Adams Ings

😂😂😂 is the CBeebies forum 

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Obviously it doesn't mean that people here don't want us to win, thats just a fiction you've constructed in your own head.

But for people to describe tomorrow's match as important is wrong. It's not important.

I've been following Saints for 30plus years and we've played lots of games and guess what? A handful were "important".

I don’t think the season is done just yet. There’s no reason why we can’t rediscover our previous form and the way the league is this year, we could start sniffing around for a Euro spot again. I think it’s unlikely but it is possible, think we’re only 7 points off 7th. Of course they’ll be some on here that hope we lose to Bournemouth so we can concentrate on finishing 7th. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, whelk said:

And those ‘rare’ clean sheets we had against Fulham, West Ham, Liverpool  Shrewsbury , Arsenal and now Wolves in last 10 games which is pretty bloody decent. Obviously losing last 5 PL games isn’t great.

No it's not and we've conceded 17 goals and scored 3 in the process.

Although the cup should be the priority, I still think it's important that we try and beat last season's points tally and finish as high as possible for income reasons. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

I don’t think the season is done just yet. There’s no reason why we can’t rediscover our previous form and the way the league is this year, we could start sniffing around for a Euro spot again. I think it’s unlikely but it is possible, think we’re only 7 points off 7th. Of course they’ll be some on here that hope we lose to Bournemouth so we can concentrate on finishing 7th. 

Don't see it now, I'm afraid. I'm sure we will have another nice little run but we're just too inconsistent and squad to thin to do enough to finish seventh (which isn't guaranteed Europe anyway).

We're 8 points off seventh (which is quite a lot to overhaul) but more importantly there are too many other clubs in the mix. I don't think we are going to overhaul all of them.

36 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Only Saints Web could have an argument over the word 'important'.

Stopping the PL slide, beating a peer team at home and rebuilding some confidence would be lovely.

Totally agree. And money available for each place we finish, along with general ability to attract better players and keep Ralph. And avoid getting sucked into dreary relegation talk. People giving up and saying ‘mid-table finish so what’s the point’ are a bit weird to be honest. 

• Like 1

I’d keep Forster in. . Stand Redmond down,Bring in Vest and Mina and let Adams start to give Danny a rest. Djenepo needs the rough edges knocking off before I’d give him a start. Bench him by all means but he hasn’t really performed to his best by any means yet.Ensure young Tella is given a little more time,say 20 minutes and I can honestly see another win and a breakthrough into the ‘30s’ at last. 

51 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Only Saints Web could have an argument over the word 'important'.

Stopping the PL slide, beating a peer team at home and rebuilding some confidence would be lovely.

Yep, it's not complicated. It's important to win any match, for confidence if nothing else. Moreover, we're also skint and every league place is worth nearly £2m.

There's 18 million reasons why it's important to finish 8th rather than 17th. That's another player. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DT said:

Totally agree. And money available for each place we finish, along with general ability to attract better players and keep Ralph. And avoid getting sucked into dreary relegation talk. People giving up and saying ‘mid-table finish so what’s the point’ are a bit weird to be honest. 

Yeah everyone is exactly saying that. All these weird fans who don’t care about the league. Mad huh?

To describe something as important that should be in contrast to something less important. 
What is banal is those Saints fans who hold those controversial views that they hope we win on Sunday. True supporters.

McCarthy 

KWP Bednarek Vest Bertrand 

Armstrong JWP Romeu Minamino 

Ings Adams 

Surprised at so many people wanting Salisu to start. He was OK last night, but still raw and should be eased in slowly. Let's not over-hype him after one 6/10 performance. Don't get me wrong I think he showed glimpses, but not enough to take the shirt from Vestegaard just yet.

There's an argument for Forster to start, but otherwise the team pretty much picks itself. KWP and Armstrong have to start if fit, they're our most direct and creative players at the moment. And having Djenepo, Redmond and Tella on the bench finally gives us some decent impact options.

We've got 16games left and we're 7points off 8th.

We're nearly back up to full strength and have had our bad patch (form/injuries/refs) - no one wants to play a full strength saints!

We should be giving everything we can for the league, i'd expect us to be challenging for top 8 as a minimum.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, CWD said:

McCarthy 

Ings Adams 

Surprised at so many people wanting Salisu to start. He was OK last night, but still raw and should be eased in slowly. Let's not over-hype him after one 6/10 performance. Don't get me wrong I think he showed glimpses, but not enough to take the shirt from Vestegaard just yet.

There's an argument for Forster to start, but otherwise the team pretty much picks itself. KWP and Armstrong have to start if fit, they're our most direct and creative players at the moment. And having Djenepo, Redmond and Tella on the bench finally gives us some decent impact options.

Completely agree with this. For me, the praise for Salisu is a bit excessive. He showed some good signs but could easily have cost us two goals. He may become a first choice but is behind Bednarek and Vestergaard for now. He needs easing in.

I don't think there's any way Forster will keep his place either, despite him having a good game.

Hope Armstrong is ok to start again. He's tended to need longer recovery. My alternative would be Djenepo

35 minutes ago, CWD said:

McCarthy 

Ings Adams 

Agreed. Salisu showed huge promise but I'd start Vest ahead of him. The rest of the team pretty much picks itself imo. 

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

MLG note:

Today is Friday.

Tomorrow is Saturday.

This game is being played on Sunday.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Don't see it now, I'm afraid. I'm sure we will have another nice little run but we're just too inconsistent and squad to thin to do enough to finish seventh (which isn't guaranteed Europe anyway).

We're 8 points off seventh (which is quite a lot to overhaul) but more importantly there are too many other clubs in the mix. I don't think we are going to overhaul all of them.

WTF?  Subs!!

4 hours ago, DT said:

Why would we get "sucked into dreary relegation talk"?

We are not going to be relegated.

I can pretty much guarantee that if we lose on Sunday it will be the likes of you twatting on about how we are still in the relegation mix. There's some weirdos on this forum with you being one of the main ones.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, whelk said:

This game is important ...

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Forster; KWP Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand; JWP Romeu; Armstrong Adams Ings Minamino.

Lovely to have some options for the bench too...Macca Bednarek Stephens Tella Djenepo Redmond NLundulu

I would go for this, other than Bednarek for Salisu.  But I think Ralph will revert to Alex

13 hours ago, Saint86 said:

We've got 16games left and we're 7points off 8th.

We're nearly back up to full strength and have had our bad patch (form/injuries/refs) - no one wants to play a full strength saints!

We should be giving everything we can for the league, i'd expect us to be challenging for top 8 as a minimum.

100% this, whilst a European spot might be tricky, if we put together a run who knows with the inconsistency in the league, hardly like those team above us are all going to keep wining, plus are last 10 or so games a lot are against bottom half teams IIRC and we could put together a really strong finish.

At the very least we need to stop the run of poor form in the league anyway. 

• Like 2

If Wolves were to win then they go above us. For a team having a supposedly poor season, it just shows how close the league is (except for the bottom 3). We're only 4 points ahead of Newcastle who have been absolutely dreadful. We need a win to halt the league slide otherwise we'll be sitting 15/16th in no time. Would be some fall for a team playing really well and sitting top less than 3 months ago.

Need to be positive though. 2-1 Saints

• Like 2

On 12/02/2021 at 02:35, Chris cooper said:

Id definitely be inclined to start tella on Sunday if i was Ralph .. thought his cameo was excellent he looked sharp and very quick liked the look of him  .. bring Redmond  on as an impact sub ..and Minamino for djenepo .. Keep Fraser in he’s earnt it ..another 2-0 saints 💪🏻

Redmond and impact are two words that are incompatible 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Redmond and impact are two words that are incompatible 

Yeah he’s shit but so is letting players leave on loan wen we need them so have to play the useless cunt !.. tella is the kiddie for me at the moment ..saw glimpses of a player on the cusp of something special in the wolves cameo .. watch this space ! Best of our young crop !

Just now, Chris cooper said:

Yeah he’s shit but so is letting players leave on loan wen we need them so have to play the useless cunt !.. tella is the kiddie for me at the moment ..saw glimpses of a player on the cusp of something special in the wolves cameo .. watch this space ! Best of our young crop !

Should have signed demarari gray wen had the chance for a mere 1.8m ..already pulling up trees in the bundesliga!

7 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Do  you have to cancel the free one month subscription when expires or does Amazon take the money at the end of the free period if you do not cancel?

If you don't cancel it then Amazon would just take £7.99 for another month and so on. However, it asks if you'd like a reminder a few days before it's due where you can then cancel before payment comes out, you'd get an email. Alternatively, there's nothing to stop you signing up and then cancelling almost straight away, you'll still get it free for the remainder of the month.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Wolves - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic