Saints 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

2 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Much as expected, Ralph had hinted that Redmond was going to play in the striker role. I know he got some stick for the Cup game in midweek, but if you just watched the highlights you would actually think (mistakenly) that he had a good game. Would still prefer Adams, I think left sided midfield is somewhere we really need to improve in the summer, we can do better than Redmond/Djenepo. 

But that's the point. I don't think he had a bad game, he did the job asked of him. Had he scored it he probably would have been named MOTM. Big if of course but strikers walk that line 

He's being used in the Walcott position, I presume Ralph has a system and players have to play within it. For Ralph Redmond is the best fit. He defends well from his position and when on form droves forward.

However he needs to up his game in final third, he can't keep killing attacks. Minimano will hopefully show him the way.

4 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Get off Redmonds back, he had a good game on Thursday evening and I'm glad Ralph has shown faith in him.

Couldn`t agree more.  I`m all for constructive criticism where it`s appropriate but as we`re supposed to be supporters I refrain from joining in with the anti-Redmond brigade.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Snopper said:

Couldn`t agree more.  I`m all for constructive criticism where it`s appropriate but as we`re supposed to be supporters I refrain from joining in with the anti-Redmond brigade.

Yep. I don't think he was being asked to run at players on the week. It looked like he had a very different role, more of a link man. His performance wasn't eye caching, but it helped the team. 

He’s clearly not garbage is he. He was one of our most important players a few seasons ago. He’s just been out for quite a long time, and will always take players a few games to settle back in. 

Ive got no problem with him being given another chance today. He was decent if not spectacular on Thursday night. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Get off Redmonds back, he had a good game on Thursday evening and I'm glad Ralph has shown faith in him.

I’ve been critical of him but he looked better up front than in midfield, is worth giving another go free of any defensive responsibility IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He’s clearly not garbage is he. He was one of our most important players a few seasons ago. He’s just been out for quite a long time, and will always take players a few games to settle back in. 

Ive got no problem with him being given another chance today. He was decent if not spectacular on Thursday night. 

yep that clear chance on goal that he missed was pretty spectacular 

Going to be a totally different wolves today compared to the cup! Will be a tough tough test, their attackers are very dangerous, really hope we can contain them & somehow sneak a lucky winner i dont care how even if we play bad & win!  We just need to not lose six in a row! 

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Karen Carney there with a decent knowledge of our tactics. More clued up on us than most male pundits. 

Yep very good pundit and does her research. Compared to likesof Savage is quite embarrassing for all the dinosaurs who need to see men

Edited by whelk

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Going to be a totally different wolves today compared to the cup! Will be a tough tough test, their attackers are very dangerous, really hope we can contain them & somehow sneak a lucky winner i dont care how even if we play bad & win!  We just need to not lose six in a row! 

6 goals in 8 games one of which was against Chorley. Doesn't sound as though they have too many dangerous attackers.

5 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Karen Carney there with a decent knowledge of our tactics. More clued up on us than most male pundits. 

Wasn't she the one who annoyed Leeds when she said she thought they benefitted from project restart? I think that is 100% right. Same for us, that reset allowed us to come out at 100mph and have a cracking end to the season. 

3 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Wasn't she the one who annoyed Leeds when she said she thought they benefitted from project restart? I think that is 100% right. Same for us, that reset allowed us to come out at 100mph and have a cracking end to the season. 

They gave her a load of abuse on Twitter and she ended up deleting her account. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

He tried to do a few decent things and got through on goal however his shooting was abysmal and he did give the ball away a lot, and pass backwards a lot, he has the skills but no football brain that's what's frustrating

I was watching the highlights of the second leg league cup final at Anfield the other day. Redmond was absolutely brilliant over both legs, tore them apart. It’s clearly in there, but he often seems scared and lacking confidence. Really hope he can find it again. 

1 minute ago, saintwbu said:

I was watching the highlights of the second leg league cup final at Anfield the other day. Redmond was absolutely brilliant over both legs, tore them apart. It’s clearly in there, but he often seems scared and lacking confidence. Really hope he can find it again. 

Spends too much of his career turning backwards rather than doing what he's actually very good at and running at the defence at pace. 

I'm going to deliberately count how many times he gives the ball away today Vs keeps hold of it, I'm convinced he gives it to the oppo more than he does something useful.

Decent team, I'd prefer Adams over Redmond for work rate alone but I'm not a Redmond hater, I just think he plays too safe sometimes when he should be more adventurous. I rate him slightly higher than Walcott which is probably controversial on here and I prefer him in a more attacking role too. I can see him and Minamino being more flexible behind Ings which should add to our unpredictability.

If fit, Diallo is the only one that would be first choice... but God knows for who.

We can win here. Win this and our Leeds game in hand for example and we're still very close to the Champions League places! It would be nice to get into the top half again or at least hit the 30+ points mark.

UTS

45 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Wouldn’t call it a particularly good game, given what his main job is. But, I’m not averse to him being given the opportunity to play his way back into fitness and form.

6 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Wouldn’t call it a particularly good game, given what his main job is. But, I’m not averse to him being given the opportunity to play his way back into fitness and form.

That shouldn't be how it goes. Redmond has had so many chances in this side (and over 200 EPL appearances) and apart from one purple patch hasn't done enough. He should be coming off the bench with some excellent performances and earn his way back into the side. I can't remember the last time he earned his way back in. 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 1-2 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic