Saints 0-2 Leeds - Match Thread

Minsk

A tough game no doubt...Leeds look good at the moment. Whatever the game plan has been for the last two games, let’s see more of that. Interesting that it seems we’re less obsessed with high possession and more about effectiveness when we’re on the ball. I know many are wishing Armstrong will play further forward, however his partnership with JWP is looking good as he offers an attacking option from a deeper position. I definitely want to see Salisu and Tella start too. Pleased that I’ve got one of the 8000 tickets.

If we’re at our best, 2-1 win. Otherwise likely 1-3.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
Typo

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Great memories of games v Leeds 

06C10C8C-8A91-4F2C-8021-B30EE080E6AF.jpeg

I see Saints are producing a special programme for tonight, not see it yet...could Gao possibly? 

Unfortunately a Leeds fan has reminded me of  the  time we were 3-0 up and they managed to come back to win 3-4, could see it being that type of game tonight. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

The form table for the last four home games - scroll down about a third of the way and look who’s top

Last 4 home games form table

That looks good , 3 wins in our last 4 home games....but check the away form table, Leeds have 3 wins in their last 4 away. Perhaps a draw then. 

Suspect they'll look to target the out of position left-back (presumably Salisu) as they did with Bednarek on the opposite flank in the reverse game. Raphinha had him on toast that night. 

Hopefully it's at least a free-flowing game with nothing to lose for both sides. They do play ridiculously open at times in away matches and they're a bit of shambles at defending set-pieces so we should get our chances, it's just whether we'll be clinical enough. 

Only once since Koeman left have we won 3 in a row at home in the PL (WBA, Everton and Newcastle earlier this season) and I can't see us repeating that unfortunately. 1-2. 

In a way today is more about the event and the performance than the result so I'm glad to have a ticket and see the news this morning about the effectiveness of the vaccines!  I'll probably let the train take the strain as getting home from a 6pm K.O. isn't so fraught and there's a few pub gardens should be open.. 

Now when was the last time I saw a win at St. Mary's??

• Like 1

Looking forward to actually going to a game tonight! :) 

Going with a guy that usually shares a season ticket with someone else - his name isn't the name on the ticket. I went to the Sheff Utd game and they weren't checking IDs on the gate that day, hoping they don't bother for most people today also. The guy going tonight has had both jabs - two more than the named guy, so it's not like i'm sneaking in a super spreader.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

I see Saints are producing a special programme for tonight, not see it yet...could Gao possibly? 

Unfortunately a Leeds fan has reminded me of  the  time we were 3-0 up and they managed to come back to win 3-4, could see it being that type of game tonight. 

I remember the Leeds chant after our third goal went it "We're gonna win 4-3." How amusing, we thought.

• Like 1

Just read we've got to wear masks today which didn't realise ugh, why...we're allowed inside pubs etc with friends now, we're sat outside in a Stadium with distancing 
Is this to stop Redmond hearing the abuse and boos maybe 

11 minutes ago, DJ_TOAST said:

Just read we've got to wear masks today which didn't realise ugh, why...we're allowed inside pubs etc with friends now, we're sat outside in a Stadium with distancing 

Watching the Barnsley playoff game last night there was a distinct lack of masks compared to the Bournemouth home fans... hoping our stewards don't jump on anyone slipping the mask down to their chin to boo the taking of the knee ;) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DJ_TOAST said:

Only on the way in and in the concourse, the Code of Conduct issued by the club states:-

"In and Around the Stadium ➢ You must wear a face covering when queuing to enter the stadium, and at all times in the stadium other than when sitting in your seat or while eating and drinking."

So no face covering in your seat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JRM said:

Still have nightmares about that, would be nice to go out on a streak of wins.

I think we'll play well with the fans in, feeling optimistic.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thedandysaint said:

Still have nightmares about that, would be nice to go out on a streak of wins.

I think we'll play well with the fans in, feeling optimistic.

4 hours ago, JRM said:

Agent Redknap's finest hour as I recall, who the hell makes all 3 subs at half time when you are 3 nil up? Instructions from Mandaric for sure.

1 hour ago, billyb333 said:

Only on the way in and in the concourse, the Code of Conduct issued by the club states:-

"In and Around the Stadium ➢ You must wear a face covering when queuing to enter the stadium, and at all times in the stadium other than when sitting in your seat or while eating and drinking."

Ah cheers bud guess my mate got that wrong !! Relieved about that

Che - Ings

Tella - Walcott

Armstrong - JWP

Salisu - Vestergaard - Stephens - KWP

Forster

Subs: McCarthy, Ramsay, Romeu, Diallo, Djenepo, Minamino, Redmond, Obafemi, Nlundulu

This is what I'm expecting for tonight, although I'd rather Romeu in for Walcott and Salisu at CB. No real surprise if Redmond sneaks in over Tella as well.

1 hour ago, billyb333 said:

I can't see stewards asking anyone about masks to be honest, but if they did just keep a bottle of water or a half eaten twix in your pocket and tell them you're eating and drinking, works for me on the train. 

3 hours ago, itchen said:

I remember the Leeds chant after our third goal went it "We're gonna win 4-3." How amusing, we thought.

My memory is of Le Tiss and Strachan sitting on the wall beneath the East Stand during a pause in the game. Have I got the right game?

1 hour ago, JRM said:

I can't see stewards asking anyone about masks to be honest, but if they did just keep a bottle of water or a half eaten twix in your pocket and tell them you're eating and drinking, works for me on the train. 

Or just wear a mask....🙄

• Like 3

3 hours ago, billyb333 said:

Nice to see the club putting out contradictory information.

The return to the stadium info page (https://www.southamptonfc.com/visitor-info/return-to-stadium/rts-leeds) says:

"Facemasks must be worn at all times from arrival at your gate, and for the duration of your visit except when eating or drinking"

9 minutes ago, Cricketphilly said:

That was a horrible second half of football

Took a mate who is a Leeds fanatic. He had a bad knee and asked to be moved at half time to a more comfortable seat. Lost site of him after that. His face was a picture when we met up outside. He has not stopped laughing about it since!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

What's the weather down there on he South coast? Sunny here in  Fife

It was blazing sunshine when I left my house near the sussex border, was in two minds about wearing a coat.

Just got of the train at central and its cold and pissing it down.

1 hour ago, WokingSaint said:

Took a mate who is a Leeds fanatic. He had a bad knee and asked to be moved at half time to a more comfortable seat. Lost site of him after that. His face was a picture when we met up outside. He has not stopped laughing about it since!

I took my youngest boy who was in the early stage of his life as a Saints fan.

It could possibly have been his first (evening?) game.

He was delighted we were 3-0 up at HT and suggested we could win by 5 or 6.

I told him that bitter experience told me it was never that easy being a Saints fan and the next goal would possibly determine the result.

On the way home I wondered whether it was child cruelty indoctrinating a young child into the Saints 'cult'

Fair play to him he remains a faithful Saints fan.

• Like 1

Just now, igsey said:

No Romeu

Bit odd given Ralph seemed to indicate at the pre-match press conference that he was all set for an appearance on the bench. Good to err on the side of caution though, assuming its not a relapse of any kind

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Not sure why ings is on the bench - bit if a strange one that.

Wondering if perhaps Ralph thinks he'll knacker himself out too early in the game if/when attempting to match Leeds' intensity levels?

Just now, Chris cooper said:

Ings on the bench ..why ? Reoccurrence of injury or something more sinister now Kane has come out and wanting to leave ! 

Perhaps Romeu is leaving too given Ralph said he would be on the bench 😉🤣

3 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Ings on the bench ..why ? Reoccurrence of injury or something more sinister now Kane has come out and wanting to leave ! 

If it was a recucurance of an injury then he wouldn't be on the bench. He has only just come back and didn't have long to recover from the weekend. Hasenhuttl mentioned this in the press conference and that the gap to the West Ham game is longer so helps recovery.

Edited by Matthew Le God

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints Vs Leeds - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Leeds - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic