The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Absolutely spot on. From the day he left out  JWP certain poster have been making fools of themselves, and they’re now doubling down.

Most normal supporters up and down the country will be extremely proud of the team and think the manager did a really good job. He’s done a better job than Sven did and a far far superior one than national treasure Bobby Robson ever did. 

Considering we was the only team to not score from a dead ball situation and mostly over hit and pretty much failed to create any thing from any set pieces dispite so many players in the line up capable of getting on the end of them, i would say we missed some one who could take a good set piece, jwp must certainly wouldn't have missed a penalty either so seeing as Rashford and Sancho main and only contribution was missing 2 penalties having jwp on the pitch even just for the that one task for them final 2 min, would have paid off in this case no? 

Are reasons alot of none saints fans was unhappy at him not being taken

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Is that allowed?  I've wondered about it in previous shoot outs? We don't get to see a list of takers so wouldn't know if anyone has changed their list mid shoot out before. Is the ref given a list or does he just check that no-one has aready taken one (unless it goes past the 11th). I think if I wa in that situation I'd prefer not to even know what number I was but simply be told I was next (at any stage of the shoot out) and not have time to think about it

Confidence wise letting a 19 year old take the penalty that keeps you in it is a lot different than sending him out thereto take the one that wins it. Or would replacing him have destroyed his confidence even more?

Yep. There doesn't have to be any sort of list but the referee and his assistants will keep a record of who has taken them to make sure that everybody has their turn. There are restrictions of numbers such that if one team has fewer players than the other then certain players will have to be excluded and the referee informed of their names and numbers. Only players on the pitch at the end of the game may take part and there are certain exemptions for goalkeepers who cannot continue during the process.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mosin said:

Considering we was the only team to not score from a dead ball situation and mostly over hit and pretty much failed to create any thing from any set pieces dispite so many players in the line up capable of getting on the end of them, i would say we missed some one who could take a good set piece, jwp must certainly wouldn't have missed a penalty either so seeing as Rashford and Sancho main and only contribution was missing 2 penalties having jwp on the pitch even just for the that one task for them final 2 min, would have paid off in this case no? 

Rice and Phillips were outstanding. JWP would never have been on the pitch to take a set piece. 

7 minutes ago, Mosin said:

??? 

Against Ukraine Maguire and Henderson scored from a free kick and a corner respectively.

Just now, SKD said:

Rice and Phillips were outstanding. JWP would never have been on the pitch to take a set piece. 

Rice didnt finish the game, was subbed for Hendon who got sub off for pens cause he has taken like 60 n missed them all. So he would have been a better option for 2 mins than Rashford  and sancho was obviously... 

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

Exactly. This is the bizarre logic that i dont get. Ward Prowse would have been playing, so it's irrelevant if he can take a good free kick or not

12 minutes ago, Mosin said:

Why are you so confident of this considering he's missed 3 of his last 7?

Edited by Turkish

15 minutes ago, Mosin said:

Rice didnt finish the game, was subbed for Hendon who got sub off for pens cause he has taken like 60 n missed them all. So he would have been a better option for 2 mins than Rashford  and sancho was obviously... 

I'm guessing the Hendon you refer to is Henderson, who has taken 58 less penalties than you claim in his career, scored 1 missed 1.

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Exactly. This is the bizarre logic that i dont get. Ward Prowse would have been playing, so it's irrelevant if he can take a good free kick or not

Why are you so confident of this considering he's missed 3 of his last 7?

I mean, this is totally irrelevant to England's tournament outside of the unknown fairytale realms of JWP getting a magical free kick moment.

But. I would say its widely accepted amongst football fans that he deserve to go over Henderson/white who really shouldn't have been there. Now either you agree with that view or not, but if you go down the line of assuming JWP was in the squad over hendo, then he would have come on when hendo did over rice. And even outside of that, JWP is a designated free kick taker and was southgate's designated 2nd pen taker in the warm up friendlies (so said the man himself) - I.e. given we were bringing on pen takers at the end, he'd have come on had he been in the squad.

Now... would he have scored? Anyone's guess. I sure as hell don't envy those players having to take those kicks under that pressure staring at a wall of england fans and being reminded that the country is watching. I'd like to think that with JWP's dedication/concentration to dead balls and general focus, that he'd fair better than the guys that missed. But we'll never know. But i'd certainly bank on him more than poor saka at the end.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Just now, Saint86 said:

I would say its widely accepted amongst football fans that he deserve to go over Henderson who really shouldn't have been there. 

😂 😂 😂 

Amongst a small band of loons on here, maybe. But to say it’s “widely accepted “ is complete and utter nonsense.

Anyway you were supporting “St Adams & St Stu” rather than England, so your tournament ended a couple of weeks ago. 

There was confusion at the start when JWP missed out, but I will say that Kalvin Phillips vindicated that decision and he added much more than JWP would have. None of the CM's are great and that's the problem, but JWP wouldn't have added anything tbh.

We didn't lose the match because JWP didn't go, we lost because we missed 3 penalties in a row. Italy kept their heads and got what they deserved.

11 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

😂 😂 😂 

Amongst a small band of loons on here, maybe. But to say it’s “widely accepted “ is complete and utter nonsense.

Anyway you were supporting “St Adams & St Stu” rather than England, so your tournament ended a couple of weeks ago. 

Ducky, try not to get so ruffled and Damn right i was cheering them on.

Obviously most pundits, betting agencies, fans were expecting JWP to get the nod after TAA. It didn't happen. Its disappointing and i know it hurts. But its okay mate, you can let it go now alright 😘

Edited by Saint86

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We didn't lose the match because JWP didn't go, we lost because we missed 3 penalties in a row. Italy kept their heads and got what they deserved.

Exactly this, the better side won and fairly comfortably sadly. But at least we got some good memories from the tournament.

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, Mosin said:

right, so your logic is to include a player on, who might I add is just an average penalty taker, on the the basis that they can come on just to take a penalty should we get to the later stages and it goes to pens?

In which case, Why not bring lambert, Beattie or even Le Tiss out of retirement. 

Henderson, with his experience, made totaL sense to bring on at that point of the game. Rashford has taken some massively high pressure penalties and is usually very reliable. He missed, it happens. JWP has missed Pens which have far less pressure. 

Edited by SKD

It's fascinating that on this forum the people moaning that Southgate is not up to it and can't ever win a major tournament and would never get an elite level club job and he's an average manager are the same people moaning that James Ward Prowse wasn't in the squad  and if only he was there he'd be better than Champions League winning Jordan Henderson and Manchester United's Marcus Rashford.

The same JWP who is the dictionary definition of an average, non-elite level run of the mill player. If you could rank him in terms of middling, non elite averageness he would be right up there with, er, Gareth Southgate.

Get your story straight lads.

2 hours ago, Mosin said:

I ll have a bet that JWP will be part of world cup squad now.

Southgate will not have slept well last night and will have replaying all the events in his head over and over again. I think it's fair to say that all his substitutes apart from Grealish let him down to some degree.

Whatever, I'm over it already. Anybody else looking forward to Jamaica v Suriname in the CONCACAF Gold Cup tonight?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I ll have a bet that JWP will be part of world cup squad now.

I'm inclined to lean the opposite way. Given how successful this tournament has been for England I think it'll make it harder for fringe players to break into the squad rather than easier. 

24 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Southgate will not have slept well last night and will have replaying all the events in his head over and over again. I think it's fair to say that all his substitutes apart from Grealish let him down to some degree.

Whatever, I'm over it already. Anybody else looking forward to Jamaica v Suriname in the CONCACAF Gold Cup tonight?

My wife went to the Carribbean...

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, SKD said:

No chance. Unless injury, it’ll be the same midfield as this tournament. And rightly so. 

Midfield is our weak link. Not saying JWP is the answer but Rice, Phillips, Henderson and Mount are average when you compare to other teams midfield options. None of them offer creativity and drive from midfield. 

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Not aiming this specifically at you but Southgate has made brave decisions all through the tournament and it's massively been to our benefit. Yet a couple of decisions don't come off in the final, despite being pretty sound on paper, and people decide to leap on that.

17 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Midfield is our weak link. Not saying JWP is the answer but Rice, Phillips, Henderson and Mount are average when you compare to other teams midfield options. None of them offer creativity and drive from midfield. 

We conceded 2 goals all tournament and none of those ‘from open play’. Phillips abs Rice we’re a fundamental reason for this. That solid base allows the more creative forwards to do their thing up there pitch. 

Agree they need a Foden / mount type in the 10 ahead of them though. 

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

There aren't many, if any, better number 9's in the world. Just look at his stats.

We just didn't paly him right, he was dropping too deep and not getting into the 6 yard box, so he gets very few chances to have a shot. 4 goals at this tournament though and just 1 goal away from being the top goal scorer for England in tournaments.

He's as good as we've had up top since ever, we just need to work out how to get the best out of him in games like today.

I wasn't happy about Kane's diving in the semi, where he went to the ground too easily (tbf, nothing out of the ordinary, but in terms of refereeing this EC has been superb, so it felt like a step in the wrong direction), BUT...even though you say he is played wrong, I think he has been outstanding as a deeper lying playmaker this tournament, and it seems to me that the players around him trust his vision and technique and make the runs that he needs to set up the attack - a bit like Lambert when he had Lallana, Tadic etc. darting around him. I see some laugh at him and compare him to Rooney but come on, seriously, Kane has shown himself to be a class striker in this tournament. Yeah sure, he would probably love to have Lewandowski's job, but as it is, the English team needs Kane to help orchestrate the attack and not just stick the ball in the back of the net... and he is bloody good at it!

Oh and now you all know how the Danes felt after the semi: better team won, but we felt sooooo close, and I guess most Saints fans would agree that it's the hope that kills you 😫

2 minutes ago, Lazlo78 said:

Oh and now you all know how the Danes felt after the semi: better team won, but we felt sooooo close, and I guess most Saints fans would agree that it's the hope that kills you 😫

England fans will have known how the Danes felt.

Unlike his dinosaur predecessors, Southgate at least had the squad practice penalties. That's why I was depressed but not angry by yesterday's pathetic attempts. So what can they do to get up to the German standard? I'm sure Southgate is thinking about this too. Maybe bring in a penalty coach during their daily practice. Someone with a history of hardly ever missing, who could teach them how to do it under pressure. Any suggestions?

11 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Someone with a history of hardly ever missing, who could teach them how to do it under pressure. Any suggestions?

Depends what you define as pressure.

I presume you mean Matt, who never took one in a tournament, never took one for England, never took one in a European competition, in a major final or even a major semi final. 

If you’re going to bring in this penalty coach, I’d get one who has been through what the players are going to face. A foreigner who has done it in international competitions and the unique pressure that brings. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Depends what you define as pressure.

I presume you mean Matt, who never took one in a tournament, never took one for England, never took one in a European competition, in a major final or even a major semi final. 

If you’re going to bring in this penalty coach, I’d get one who has been through what the players are going to face. A foreigner who has done it in international competitions and the unique pressure that brings. 

Sounds like we need a German penalty coach for the pressure part! Matt would be good for technique though.

7 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Unlike his dinosaur predecessors, Southgate at least had the squad practice penalties. That's why I was depressed but not angry by yesterday's pathetic attempts. So what can they do to get up to the German standard? I'm sure Southgate is thinking about this too. Maybe bring in a penalty coach during their daily practice. Someone with a history of hardly ever missing, who could teach them how to do it under pressure. Any suggestions?

Shearer...? Technique through practice isn't that difficult, but you can't factor in the pressure or fatigue (not an excuse for Sancho or Rashford this time though). I do wish players would just put their fucking foot through the ball instead of tip toeing or hopping during the run up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kyle04 said:

Shearer...? Technique through practice isn't that difficult, but you can't factor in the pressure or fatigue (not an excuse for Sancho or Rashford this time though). I do wish players would just put their fucking foot through the ball instead of tip toeing or hopping during the run up

This was one of the more frustrating things. We know they've been practicing but for the love of god, that's what they've been practicing? Stupid stoppy starty dancing about after a stupid tippy tappy run up. You can see them lose confidence in what they were doing halfway through their dance routine.

Yes practice but practice putting your laces through it Shearer style.

At least Waddle leathered it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

This was one of the more frustrating things. We know they've been practicing but for the love of god, that's what they've been practicing? Stupid stoppy starty dancing about after a stupid tippy tappy run up. You can see them lose confidence in what they were doing halfway through their dance routine.

Yes practice but practice putting your laces through it Shearer style.

At least Waddle leathered it. 

I have to agree. That Rashford Penalty was absolutely woeful.  

1 minute ago, kyle04 said:

It backfired on Georginio as well. Give it some welly - save that you bastard!

Both Kane and especially Maguires pens were joyous. Love how he took out the camera. Absolutely hammered it!

Edited by BotleySaint
  • Like 1

Whenever I think of penalties I go here.

A lovely line up of takers you could rely on. So good we didn't even need the best penalty taker the country has ever seen.

Ruddock

Shearer

Horne

Micky Adams

plus our Tim.

Name on the cup, lads.

Edited by CB Fry

24 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Sounds like we need a German penalty coach for the pressure part! Matt would be good for technique though.

Matt’s technique worked for him but he was one of the most naturally gifted players ever seen in this country, would everyone be able to pull it off?

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Not aiming this specifically at you but Southgate has made brave decisions all through the tournament and it's massively been to our benefit. Yet a couple of decisions don't come off in the final, despite being pretty sound on paper, and people decide to leap on that.

To some extent he was let down by the players that he trusted.

2 hours ago, SKD said:

No chance. Unless injury, it’ll be the same midfield as this tournament. And rightly so. 

Then we'll have no chance of doing anything, unless we get another set of easy fixtures. Not saying JWP is the answer but with the same central midfield we will get schooled by anyone decent. You can't have two cloggers in there and just hope Sterling, Kane or a full back pulls something out of the bag. Admittedly, if you rarely concede that can get you fairly far but if you want to excel you need people who can build play properly. It's not a criticism of anyone in particular, just that if we don't find a better class of ball player in central mid then we have no chance.

Spain absolutely murdered Italy in midfield and would have killed us. I also doubt we would get anything against Belgium or France. So we're something like the 5th best team in Europe. If we had Spain's midfield or Italy's midfield, we'd be the best. Sadly, we don't.

1 minute ago, DuncanRG said:

Just came here to say that we should cheer the England players when their names are called at St Mary's next season. I'll be so bummed if I hear 'you let your country down', as fans have sung at past England players.

Cheering players from other teams? No thanks.

Even if people do this, how far down the squad list do you go? Does more minutes on the pitch translate into a bigger cheer? Sancho barely played, how much noise do you make for him as opposed to Stones? What about people in the squad who didn't play like Ramsdale?