Other Games 21/22

whelk

Only saw the last 20 minutes which was end to end. Reminded me of those school games when everyone is knackered near the end, there's no midfield and both teams are just launching it forwards.

Good that Newcastle seem to have picked up a couple of crucial injuries, plus they have another game before they come to St Mary's to hopefully pick up some more.

Edited by The Cat

6 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

We'd better not be the ones to give them an away win. Spirited performance tonight but they have a really shite squad. I'd only take Dubravka, Saint-M and Wilson. 

Joelinton Has been different class since Howe arrived , play like he did today and he’d walk into our side. 

Man Utd were hopeless. Where did they get those two full backs? Rashford very poor as were Fernandes, Fred and McTomminay. Couldn't string two passes together and made Newcastle look like Barcelona at their best. Yet Newcastle still couldn't beat them although you have to say they were unlucky. 

27 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Will Newcastle go down? On the one hand, they're just one win from safety. But then, they need 25+ points from the second half of the season. 

They need an incredibly solid second half of the season - 25 in 19 is lower mid table form - around what Villa and Leicester are doing now.

Difficult but not impossible. If they get some points from those next four they will start to believe and then just hold on and hope for a stunning end of season run.

We need to hope that pressure to win these next few will be too much for a squad that is, right now, not good enough. It's really important that we beat them. Because them staying up could be at the expense of us.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

What is Ralf junior going to moan about post match then? Newcastle only got an eight day break, as opposed to Man United 16 day break, so he should probably stop harping on about that, as Newcastle were playing full of energy, while United looked sluggish with a lack of any cohesion. I suppose he was only able to bring Sancho and Cavani on at half time and wasn't allowed to turn to another three, which includes Shaw, Wan-Bissaka and Van de Beek, who all cost over £20m to sit on the bench, so there's always that.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Newcastle’s next 4 Prem matches…

Everton 
Saints
Watford
Leeds

Not the sort of games you want to be missing your two best players. Not to mention the luck of the draw with covid at the moment could leave them even more depleted. Howe didnt sound overly confident of having enough players for these games.

Think Newcastle might just scrape safety. Norwich and Watford will likely go and can see Brentford being dragged back in, they've looked very poor recently

My money is on our game with Newcastle being postponed. Eddie Howe already saying he is dangerously close to not being able to field a team. I wonder how closely monitored these Covid results are. It would suit them to have a couple go down with Covid now, call it off, buy some time, get a few players fit and buy a few quality players, before they play Everton, Saints, Watford & Leeds. Just saying.

2 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

My money is on our game with Newcastle being postponed. Eddie Howe already saying he is dangerously close to not being able to field a team. I wonder how closely monitored these Covid results are. It would suit them to have a couple go down with Covid now, call it off, buy some time, get a few players fit and buy a few quality players, before they play Everton, Saints, Watford & Leeds. Just saying.

Now here’s the thing, should it be postponed, and they go on to spend shit loads early January, would there not be a legal case to have them having to field a team, using only the players available to them on the original match date. Incoming.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

Now here’s the thing, should it be postponed, and they go on to spend shit loads early January, would there not be a legal case to have them having to field a team, using only the players available to them on the original match date. Incoming.

No that would be crazy. 

Games get postponed occasionally for various reasons, be it weather, public safety, or whatever. You can't arbitrarily make rules about who can play in a team just cause a game takes place later than it was scheduled for.

9 hours ago, The Cat said:

Only saw the last 20 minutes which was end to end. Reminded me of those school games when everyone is knackered near the end, there's no midfield and both teams are just launching it forwards.

Good that Newcastle seem to have picked up a couple of crucial injuries, plus they have another game before they come to St Mary's to hopefully pick up some more.

When I saw those injuries at the time my first thought was great they'll be out for our game, my second thought was just watch Newcastle claim some covid cases and get the games called off for the next week 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

They've got a whole team of u23s they should be able to play, some very convenient postponements going on, shame we didn't get to play Brentford last week 

31 minutes ago, JRM said:

When I saw those injuries at the time my first thought was great they'll be out for our game, my second thought was just watch Newcastle claim some covid cases and get the games called off for the next week 

If they pick up any more injuries from the Everton game then they could well try it on. If that scenario materialised I doubt they'd list any first-teamers as positive, rather back-up players that deplete the squad in case the authorities call their bluff, order them to play and then lose more key players. 

3 hours ago, GarrettIvo said:

No that would be crazy. 

Games get postponed occasionally for various reasons, be it weather, public safety, or whatever. You can't arbitrarily make rules about who can play in a team just cause a game takes place later than it was scheduled for.

But you can arbitrarily get games postponed, apparently.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

They've got a whole team of u23s they should be able to play, some very convenient postponements going on, shame we didn't get to play Brentford last week 

These cunts chop up journalists so don’t think there will be any ethics issues with faking isolations. 

Edited by whelk
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, whelk said:

These cunts chop up journalists so don’t think there will be any ethics issues with faking isolations. 

I know it's different set of circumstances but nobody gave a shit when we were reduced to naming under 23's in the first team and on the bench last year. Fed up with hearing about how the clubs aren't managing it when it was barely mentioned last year when we were struggling for fit players. It will be a real kick in the teeth for the other clubs in the bottom half if Newcastle are allowed to postpone any games this side of the transfer window. Gives them a huge advantage.

• Like 3

Crystal Palace tried to play the system over the weekend, requesting their game be called off against Spurs, despite their entire 11 that started the previous game against us being available and in the matchday squad against Spurs (they made one change with Guehi moving to the bench). Everton/Benitez was also moaning last week that their game was going ahead and that their application for a postponement had been rejected, 24 hours later they pick up some non-COVID related injuries and their match gets called off, while their match on Thursday against Newcastle is so far going ahead after an extended rest period.

It wouldn't surprise me that after the injuries to Saint-Maximin and Wilson last night, Newcastle try to get their next few games postponed before they can then sign players.

3 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

It wouldn't surprise me that after the injuries to Saint-Maximin and Wilson last night, Newcastle try to get their next few games postponed before they can then sign players.

Hayden was suspended vs Man Utd, he is not suspended vs Everton or Saints so that only leaves them one down. Plus covid cases Newcastle have may be out of isolation before Sunday.

18 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

some good results for us today, Watford and Norwich both well beaten. Think we should be ok, 5 wins from 19 games should do the job

We can stop caring about Norwich, they will struggle to get into the mid-high twenties this season. If we end up fighting them in the table, it’ll be over 19th place and nobody will give a sh*t anyway.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

We can stop caring about Norwich, they will struggle to get into the mid-high twenties this season. If we end up fighting them in the table, it’ll be over 19th place and nobody will give a sh*t anyway.

Fuck Norwich.

I'm still concerned that Fulham will catch us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3