Other Games 21/22

whelk

2 hours ago, whelk said:

What is with this proliferation of pundits with bald head, dark suits and turtle necks? Like something out of a sci-fi movie

Danny Murphy decides to mix it up for the next Match of the Day....

jpeg

Over on BBC2, Donald Pleasence saves Haddenfield, in Halloween 2021, only to find he's killed someone in a Covid mask.

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I don’t get it - didn’t Norwich request their West Ham game get postponed 2 weeks ago?

Are they now trying to say they have another outbreak within their ranks? I’d love to know if it is the same players or something, otherwise it seems they clearly lack the protocols in place to reduce the spread. 

Another team obviously trying to delay where possible just to give Smith more time on the training ground to implement his methods then perhaps, wish the PL would be more open or just put their foot down now.

Edited by nta786

8 hours ago, nta786 said:

I don’t get it - didn’t Norwich request their West Ham game get postponed 2 weeks ago?

Are they now trying to say they have another outbreak within their ranks? I’d love to know if it is the same players or something, otherwise it seems they clearly lack the protocols in place to reduce the spread. 

Another team obviously trying to delay where possible just to give Smith more time on the training ground to implement his methods then perhaps, wish the PL would be more open or just put their foot down now.

More likely that a load of them are unvaccinated and they have to isolate as close contacts. 

8 hours ago, nta786 said:

I'd say in this instance, they simply don't have enough players. They are obviously doomed and I'd imagine Smith is planning for a bounce back. I don't think they gain much from cancelling fixtures.

It really only benefits Newcastle as they have a unique situation. 

Even if they buy Trippier, Ali, and Ake, they'll need time to bed them in. They won't all be in place until after the mid winter break (starts 22 Jan). Before then they face us, Leeds, Watford and probably Everton. Bet those games end in defeat or draws.

Mind you strange things happen down the bottom this time of year, we are are well out of it ... hopefully.

13 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

Arsenal in the ascendancy 1 up, give a way a stupid penalty, almost gifted an own goal, miss the open net on the follow up and then get a man sent off from a elbow in the throat from the resulting goal kick, all in 5 mins. 

That was a particularly amusing few minutes of football there.

Martinelli's miss was hilarious.

• Like 1

As a neutral, I was so fed up with the bias of the BT commentary team, that I was delighted with the penalty and late goal.  All you needed was for McMannaman and Keown to start calling each other blood and it could have been full on Arsenal TV. 

Good game though, Arsenal really caused City problems until Gilberto did his usual .

Edited by redkeith

36 minutes ago, redkeith said:

As a neutral, I was so fed up with the bias of the BT commentary team, that I was delighted with the penalty and late goal.  All you needed was for McMannaman and Keown to start calling each other blood and it could have been full on Arsenal TV. 

Good game though, Arsenal really caused City problems until Gilberto did his usual .

Yeah twats saying Atwell had lost control. They stoke all this bs - thought he had a good game and by no means a fan of his

Edited by whelk
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Yeah twats saying Atwell had lost control. They stoke all this bs - thought he had a good game and by no means a fan of his

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting. Refs have no chance with that sort of coverage. I thought he did a good job keeping control and didn't start overreacting like some refs would.

He got all the major decisions right, with the help of VAR. The City penalty was a shining example of the value of having VAR. His angle didn't allow him to see the shirt pull, but VAR could see it. The Odegaard / Ederson incident could have been called either way in real time but IMO doesn't merit intervention as it's a very tough one to call. The red was absolutely clear.

Arsenal have only their own poor discipline - and missing an open goal - to blame today, not the officials. 

Contrast with the guy reffing the Watford Spurs match, plus fat head Mason on VAR. Those two are genuinely awful.

7 minutes ago, benjii said:

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting. Refs have no chance with that sort of coverage. I thought he did a good job keeping control and didn't start overreacting like some refs would.

He got all the major decisions right, with the help of VAR. The City penalty was a shining example of the value of having VAR. His angle didn't allow him to see the shirt pull, but VAR could see it. The Odegaard / Ederson incident could have been called either way in real time but IMO doesn't merit intervention as it's a very tough one to call. The red was absolutely clear.

Arsenal have only their own poor discipline - and missing an open goal - to blame today, not the officials. 

Contrast with the guy reffing the Watford Spurs match, plus fat head Mason on VAR. Those two are genuinely awful.

I only had it on in background but heard Hutchinson say it was a nailed on pen for Watford. He seems a reasonable co commentator and was referencing our tactics against Spurs, whereas Keown offers insight such as Klopp missing for Liverpool will be an issue as he is a highly visible man on the sidelines.

Edited by whelk

37 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Think Newcastle's next scheduled league game is against Watford. Should be interesting assuming they don't try and get it called off.

They'll definitely want it on as Watford will have quite a few away to the AFCON. Hope it gets postponed to spite them toon wankers given their celebrations over our postponement.

10 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Spurs fans not happy with Hojbjerg and seem to have woken up to the fact that he is far too basic for what they need. We mugged them off by unloading him onto them.

He cost peanuts in premier league money.  Not a bad signing for them, and would rather have him in our squad than not.  Whether he should have been an automatic starter (and skipper), is another matter

Edited by AlexLaw76

4 minutes ago, egg said:

That was a cracking goal from Ings. Superb turn and ball from Buendia. Quality that we lack unfortunately. 

They are one point ahead of us and we beat them just a few weeks ago. Didn't see much 'quality' from them in that game... 

Would definitely say that Broja has been better than Ings and Redmond better than Buendia this season

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tunit said:

They are one point ahead of us and we beat them just a few weeks ago. Didn't see much 'quality' from them in that game... 

Would definitely say that Broja has been better than Ings and Redmond better than Buendia this season

Redmond has more assists than any of their team and JWP more goals (level with Watkins). It was a decent goal but not the sort of one we couldn't pull off.

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Like who? His previous two seasons in the Prem he's finished below us.

Their squad is quite poor though. Very few Brighton players would start for us imo. Bissouma definitely, Dunk as well, Trossard probably, and that's about it. Sanchez started well but has been quite poor this season.

And I think he should have got the spurs job over Nuno (they have Conte now who is obviously better), could also have gotten the united job in the about 15 times Ole should have been sacked over the last two years.

Edited by TWar

6 minutes ago, TWar said:

Their squad is quite poor though. Very few Brighton players would start for us imo. Bissouma definitely, Dunk as well, Trossard probably, and that's about it. Sanchez started well but has been quite poor this season.

And I think he should have got the spurs job over Nuno (they have Conte now who is obviously better), could also have gotten the united job in the about 15 times Ole should have been sacked over the last two years.

i reckon cucurella would get a game at Saints.

11 minutes ago, tunit said:

Redmond hasn't got that turn and ball in him. That's quality that we just don't have in our 10's. Broja, yep, but Armstrong or Adams wouldn't have put that chance away. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

Their squad is very poor though, or atleast was before Potter improved a bunch of them. Very few Brighton players would start for us imo. Bissouma definitely, Dunk maybe.

I'm with you on this. Potter is doing superbly with an average squad. He's got a big future. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TWar said:

Jesus wept. Nuno two 7th place finishes with a newly promoted team. Potter two bottom 5/6 finishes, below us both times.

Nuno deserved a "top top club" more than Potter did.

He's having a decent season now, but it's hardly some great scandal he hasn't moved on yet.

The idea that Graham Potter was ever going to be given the Manchester United job this year just shows the difference between looking at spreadsheets and looking at real life. Give over.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Which one of Guardiola, Klopp, Arteta, Mancini, Tuchel, Moyes or Rangnick should he replace? 🤣🤣

Mancini? As in the Italy manager?

I think he could replace Arteta, I think he could have replaced Jose at Spurs instead of Nuno, I think he could easily replace Rangnick, especially since he is only an interim manager and is going to be stepping aside at the end of the season. Moyes I think he's better than, Moyes is doing well right now but across his career has been pretty shocking at multiple points, I think if Potter had this West ham side he'd do similar. When Klopp and Guardiola leave (seemingly in the next 2 years by the looks) both City and Liverpool could do a lot worse.

Edited by TWar
  • Haha 1