Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

A lot of reports of other teams coming in for Armstrong recently and then this transfer comes up out of nowhere. I hope I'm wrong, just all seems a little coincidental.

Scratch that then, only just read the Armstrong thread and seen the interview with Mowbray. Fair enough.

Just now, Chapel End said:

Did you really say Pompey were a better proposition than us???

Christ on a bike, the calling people thick after a comment like that 🤣🤣

Yes, I was talking about ownership and potential for return on investment. Wouldn’t expect you to understand. 

1 day without being obsessed with certain posters is all we ask for Always. You wouldn’t want a second account banned now, would you. 

10 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Anyone else get the feeling this guy is signing INSTEAD of Armstrong instead of alongside him? 

Armstrong is the Ings replacement. Broja is the Obafemi replacement seemingly. Then we have Adams and Tella to round it off, and Walcott and Redmond if needed.

Long most likely on his way too. Whether that strike force is enough, we will only know at the end of the season.

IMO The signing of young players from Chelsea echoes the Poortvliet days as we kissed goodbye to the Championship, which is my only concern about it all. However I will take what other people are saying that the likes of Broja and Livramento are of sufficient quality for us and the Premier League and hope for the best.

Welcome Armando. A Slough kid too, like my daughter.

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

I thought I was being accused of being Always (whoever that is) by someone on here a couple of months ago.

I was just getting used to being them.

Always is an old poster, who similar to Chapel end, was unable to engage in a discussion without throwing insults about. 

Always got banned, Chapel emerged. Basically, chapel_end is an old, banned, poster who’s back to his old tricks. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Great bit of business and I thought we  weren't an attractive option for players 

Given we’re currently his only option, let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. 

22 minutes ago, SKD said:

Always is an old poster, who similar to Chapel end, was unable to engage in a discussion without throwing insults about. 

Always got banned, Chapel emerged. Basically, chapel_end is an old, banned, poster who’s back to his old tricks. 

Oh the irony...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Are you saying we didn’t fend off other clubs for Armstrong?

Broja who we beat Brugge to?

Yes I am. As things stand, we’re the only club to have had a bud accepted. 

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

That doesn't mean we didn't beat other clubs to him. 🙄

Just now, Streaky said:

A bid accepted doesn't mean there wasn't other interest. Watford and Palace to name 2 were interested, and made bids

Well clearly it does. He’s not got the option to go to these clubs if they don’t have a bud accepted. Alas, ings to villa. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Well clearly it does. He’s not got the option to go to these clubs if they don’t have a bud accepted. Alas, ings to villa. 

If other clubs have made unaccepted bids for a player and Saints have a bid accepted, that is fending them off to beat them to the signing!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If other clubs have made unaccepted bids for a player and Saints have a bid accepted, that is fending them off to beat them to the signing!

I said we’re currently his only option. Given we’re the only club to have a bud successful, that’s true, no?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Your having a mare on this SKD give it up trolling isn’t for you!

I get you are this forums version of Talkshite but honestly give it up

Has any other club had a bid accepted? No. Does that mean, that currently, we’re his only concrete option..? Yes. 

if palace, who apparently, were his preferred option, match the bid, then it comes down to the players choice.

Edited by SKD

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

I said we’re currently his only option. Given we’re the only club to have a bud successful, that’s true, no?

Why do you keep writing “bud” instead of “bid”?

With your bigging up of Pompey’s organisation and embarrassing yourself in thread after thread. Perhaps you are not ready for the start of the season...

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

With your bogging up of Pompey’s organisation and embarrassing yourself in thread after thread. Perhaps you are not ready for the start of the season...

Fat fingers and predictive text. Nice insult though, really hurt that one. 

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

With your bogging up of Pompey’s organisation and embarrassing yourself in thread after thread. Perhaps you are not ready for the start of the season...

Good moaning,perhaps he is French 

4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’m always! So is my wife 

Wish my wife was always, sadly she's more like little and often.

Back on topic, in just a few short days we seem to have gone from a "what's going on?" window to one where a cohesive plan seems to be taking shape. Actually sarting to get excited for thecoming season now

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This thread has been ruined by the usual sniping.

Back on topic, I think this is a clever signing. We have clearly needed some physicality up top - we haven't had that since Pele left, that's not promoting a constant 'get it in the box approach' but having someone to build around and someone who can hold the ball up to bring others into play is sorely missed in this side. Adams can kinda do it...but that's not really his forte. 

It also gives you the option to throw on a massive striker at the end of games if you're chasing it and actually have a chance to make an impact, rather than bringing on N'Lundulu. A huge upgrade on L'Nlundulu, who in essence he is replacing.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Back on topic, I think this is a clever signing. We have clearly needed some physicality up top - we haven't had that since Pele left, that's not promoting a constant 'get it in the box approach' but having someone to build around and someone who can hold the ball up to bring others into play is sorely missed in this side. Adams can kinda do it...but that's not really his forte. 

It also gives you the option to throw on a massive striker at the end of games if you're chasing it and actually have a chance to make an impact, rather than bringing on N'Lundulu. A huge upgrade on L'Nlundulu, who in essence he is replacing.

Good point replacing N'dululu in the squad (he was in most first team squads 2nd half of the season) , I'll be honest had never heard of this chap before today, but that's the same with Livamento and he looks to have quality, Chelsea talent pool is ridiculous really. Added bonus the three youngsters assume know each other will help them settle / car share to training. 

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Agree this is potentially a very shrewd signing. I believe Broja has the tools to become our number one striker in a very short space of time. He looks a real athlete with pace to burn, a good engine, plenty of skill and a willingness to take on opponents whether on the flanks, through the centre or dropping deep. Will be very interested to see how he develops and how soon Ralph decides to utilise his attributes.

Looks like he can play both through the middle and probably be an option for the wide positions as well, he must scare some fullbacks at 6' 4" and able to run at that sort of speed.

I like in the goal for the Albania U21s, where he bursts through the middle with staggering pace and the defender tries to block him off and just bounces off 😄

Again shame there isn't an option to buy, but his options getting into the Chelsea team are limited so maybe if he has a good time here we can make it permanent. 

4 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Agree this is potentially a very shrewd signing. I believe Broja has the tools to become our number one striker in a very short space of time. He looks a real athlete with pace to burn, a good engine, plenty of skill and a willingness to take on opponents whether on the flanks, through the centre or dropping deep. Will be very interested to see how he develops and how soon Ralph decides to utilise his attributes.

I' also interested to see 

4 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I'm also interested to see how our established players react to our lively, talented young arrivals. I'm expecting positive competition for places. I don't see a sudden transformation in fortunes, so I hope our critical fans will show patience and positivity as it could surely take time for the team to gel. 

I'm optimistic - I wasn't a couple of weeks ago. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yep, I agree - we've missed a presence up top since Pelle left.  Doesn't mean we have to go long ball but does mean we can get some crosses in and shake things up a bit.  It could also free up Adams to play a more natural striker role.  Pretty sure part of replacing Ings will be working out how to get more goals out of Adams and a big man taking the load off him could be part of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

1 hour ago, SKD said:

You 2 had your little Messi, Iniesta, etc nonsense earlier, now this shite. 

We're looking likely to be getting the services of an incredibly talented striker and all you want to do is have a boring as fuck debate about semantics. 

Pair of sad cunts. 

• Like 20
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

You 2 had your little Messi, Iniesta, etc nonsense earlier, now this shite. 

We're looking likely to be getting the services of an incredibly talented striker and all you want to do is have a boring as fuck debate about semantics. 

Pair of sad cunts. 

Careful what you say, I dared to criticise the bickering an hour ago, got lots of 'likes' and the post has mysteriously disappeared!!

Edited by M271

22 minutes ago, eelpie said:

I'm also interested to see how our established players react to our lively, talented young arrivals. I'm expecting positive competition for places. I don't see a sudden transformation in fortunes, so I hope our critical fans will show patience and positivity as it could surely take time for the team to gel. 

I'm optimistic - I wasn't a couple of weeks ago. 

Absolutely. There'll be some rawness with this kid, but his raw ingredients look exceptional. If he just gives us a threat from the bench, that's more than Obafemi and Long give so we'll have an upgrade. From what I've seen and read, I think we'll have much more than that. 

I'm optimistic too. Our club are having a very good window. 

• Like 2

Like the look of this lad.

Considering there is unlikely to be an option to buy and also that he is unlikely to get a huge amount of starts (you would think), its an intriguing move from Saints but also from the player and Chelsea.

Chelsea are probably the best team to be a loan affiliate of, so hopefully it goes well - and even if no option they have a history and of course present reputation of selling good players who just aren't quite good enough or flavour of the month enough for their first team.

Adams, Armstrong, Broja and Tella is a promising and varied group of strikers - but well short on top level goals and that will be the big question mark. At least one of Armstrong and Broja will need to come off or it will be a painful season, but positive signs and signings whose profiles make a lot of sense given our style and existing squad.

Edited by Dusic

Joe Willock practically kept Newcastle in the league in the second half of last season. He was a short-term loan, successful, built a connection with them and now looks to be heading back there permanently from an Arsenal squad that has a lot less depth than Chelsea's. They've just signed Lukaku and already have Werner also. If Lukaku doesn't work out, they will turn to Haaland next summer, not Broja. See how Abraham's now on his way out, who they only played because of their transfer ban. Hopefully a season of playing at England's highest level will instil some hunger into him if he's successful and he'll go back wanting that at Chelsea, or a permanent departure like Livramento and Sancho from City. Then we'll hopefully be first in line (if he's successful).

Edit: KWP another example where there wasn't an option to buy, but the loan meant that he wanted to come here.

Edited by HarvSFC

28 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Joe Willock practically kept Newcastle in the league in the second half of last season. He was a short-term loan, successful, built a connection with them and now looks to be heading back there permanently from an Arsenal squad that has a lot less depth than Chelsea's. They've just signed Lukaku and already have Werner also. If Lukaku doesn't work out, they will turn to Haaland next summer, not Broja. See how Abraham's now on his way out, who they only played because of their transfer ban. Hopefully a season of playing at England's highest level will instil some hunger into him if he's successful and he'll go back wanting that at Chelsea, or a permanent departure like Livramento and Sancho from City. Then we'll hopefully be first in line (if he's successful).

Edit: KWP another example where there wasn't an option to buy, but the loan meant that he wanted to come here.

Yeh it's possible, but there is also the Alderweireld situation where he does well and someone else just jumps in and takes him. 

55 minutes ago, Badger said:

clever bargain basement though this time it would seem. Nothing wrong with that.

Fans need to be realistic.We are  in a bargain basement situation and the Board or Crocker or whoever have done well this window to put right past wrongs

• Like 1

I’m actually feeling quite positive about all this to be honest (normally an optimist anyway). 

I get the impression Ralph is having quite a say in the process and brining in the type of players he actually wants/needs to fit his system. 

And by his own admission, other teams were working us out so maybe we’ll see a plan B, too. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

I get the impression Ralph is having quite a say in the process and brining in the type of players he actually wants/needs to fit his system. 

With the pace and power he has he'll certainly be effective in the high press when he learns the triggers. I can see the odd fullback just kicking the ball out for safety reasons!

We'll then need a long thrower: what's this Delap kid they've talked about like?

39 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

I’m actually feeling quite positive about all this to be honest (normally an optimist anyway). 

And by his own admission, other teams were working us out so maybe we’ll see a plan B, too. 

Agreed. I think we’ve got used to Les and the dicking about in the transfer windows. Those in charge has done well shifting out the crap and getting good money for Ings acting quickly to use it. Still work to do but much more optimistic than at the weekend 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Armando Broja