Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

23 minutes ago, saint lard said:

My big concern about trying to get Broja on a permanent is that Chelsea and Lukaku are going to part ways sooner rather than later. 
He’s shown dissent already and Tuchel will want rid. 
they would be fools not to give Broja an opportunity. 
homegrown talent who at present is their commodity with an abundance of talent now and will only get better. 
I will cling to the hope that Chelsea prove to be foolish. 

Lukaku had a stupid interview, was punished by being dropped by the team, but he apologised and is now starting again. I don't think he'll be gotten rid of just yet.

No one has really mentioned what Broja might want in all of this.

For me ... he'd be mad to sign for the Saints. He's got the best of both worlds by staying here on loan for another season. Continue to excel at a mid table club, increase your value and have an easy route back to the first team at Chelsea in 18 months if their current strikers don't cut the mustard. if they do and there's no route back to Chelsea, then in 18 months with 2 good seasons under the belt, he'd be in a great position for a move to a top 6 club or secure a lucrative deal with the saints. 

What's in it for him to change the status quo?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

For me ... he'd be mad to sign for the Saints. He's got the best of both worlds by staying here on loan for another season. Continue to excel at a mid table club, increase your value and have an easy route back to the first team at Chelsea in 18 months if their current strikers don't cut the mustard. if they do and there's no route back to Chelsea, then in 18 months with 2 good seasons under the belt, he'd be in a great position for a move to a top 6 club or secure a lucrative deal with the saints. 

If he signed for Saints on a permanent deal I think it would be likely he'd get a big wage increase compared to his current Chelsea deal. A first team regular at Saints would earn more than the position Broja was at Chelsea at the time of his new deal in the summer.

I can't see Broja signing permanently and certainly not in January, Tuchel has already said its too soon and he has a contract with Chelsea until 2026 so it's gonna take a big fee in the summer to prise him away. Knowing what a c**t Tuchel is he will probably just keep him for the hell of it as i'm sure there will be many other clubs willing to pay alot more than we will offer even with any new increased takeover transfer kitty money, but if they manage to bag Haaland or another top striker who knows?, It looks like we will be stuck with the dud Championship fodder Adam Armstrong, just hope he comes good in the end like Che did

30 minutes ago, IOWSaintDaz said:

I can't see Broja signing permanently and certainly not in January, Tuchel has already said its too soon and he has a contract with Chelsea until 2026 so it's gonna take a big fee in the summer to prise him away. Knowing what a c**t Tuchel is he will probably just keep him for the hell of it as i'm sure there will be many other clubs willing to pay alot more than we will offer even with any new increased takeover transfer kitty money, but if they manage to bag Haaland or another top striker who knows?, It looks like we will be stuck with the dud Championship fodder Adam Armstrong, just hope he comes good in the end like Che did

i honestly dont think Tuchel has any say on Chelseas transfers, has any Chelsea manager ever? Roman has his own hand picked person to do it, some one called Marina Granovskaia or some thing like tht... She has been in charge of player sales and buys since he took over........

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mosin said:

i honestly dont think Tuchel has any say on Chelseas transfers, has any Chelsea manager ever? Roman has his own hand picked person to do it, some one called Marina Granovskaia or some thing like tht... She has been in charge of player sales and buys since he took over........

i doubt he even cares that much if Chelsea have a player who might be top class in 3-4 years time. He's only lasted more than 2 years in one of his 4 management jobs, plus Chelsea rattle through their managers so he likely wont be here when Broja hits his prime if he stays at Chelsea. He'd rather sign someone as a finished article for £100m than give an young kid a load of games for a couple of years hoping they develop into what he he can buy straight away

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mcbendy said:

Why would the club put out that cryptic tweet? That's pouring petrol on the flames. Surely they would only do that if something had happened, or they were looking to in some way influence someone / something?

I doubt any business would be influenced in a multi million pound transaction by a tweet with a star emoji on it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mcbendy said:

Why would the club put out that cryptic tweet? That's pouring petrol on the flames. Surely they would only do that if something had happened, or they were looking to in some way influence someone / something?

It's hardly cryptic. It's just a post in support of one of "our" players, who's been quite good recently. No need to read too much in to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

where have you seen this?

Looks like most of it stems back to this tweet;

Seems like he might be one of their better ITKs judging by the reaction, but absolutely no idea on that myself.

Guess Saints and Broja’s tweets today have added a bit of fuel to the fire too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Looks like most of it stems back to this tweet;

Seems like he might be one of their better ITKs judging by the reaction, but absolutely no idea on that myself.

Guess Saints and Broja’s tweets today have added a bit of fuel to the fire too.

Okay cheers, had a scroll through a couple of their forums earlier but nothing of note really, the usual view that they want to keep him etc

19 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

gotto say, certainly nothing to gain by making the move right now. May as well wait until the summer. He can consider his route to the first team at Chelsea depending on their transfer dealings, look for another loan, perhaps at a bigger club than us and who knows, the likes of Spurs, West Ham etc. might come in for him, giving Broja a stack of options. 

This as got a `Lukaku-WBA loan-Everton sale' type outcome written all over it. 

Edited by Chez

39 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

Broja isnt going to break through at Chelsea. If Lukaku leaves (sorry when) Chelsea wont rest a significant part of their title and trophy ambitions on him. They would buy one of the world's best. Too much of a risk for them not to.

I agree,

I would also say that the current list of players who've come through their youth ranks to become established members of the first team is a mis-representation of the habitual normal over the last 10+ seasons.

Their transfer ban meant they couldn't spend money on players they otherwise likely would have. Would Mason Mount have been given the opportunity if A) he wasn't at Debry with Lampard the seasons before and B) Chelsea were able to spend the Hazard Money straight away? 

Andreas Christensen
Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Trevoh Chalobah
Mason Mount

Reece James
Callum Hudson-Odoi

I personally feel like we will either secure him on loan until the end of the 22/23 season, he'll then sign for a club who are traditionally challenging for the top 6 (but outside of the top 4) the likes of Arsenal etc OR we sign him, we enter a low buy back fee and he moves back to Chelsea once he's more established.

Outside of Harry Kane, when was the last time a top 6 club trusted a player out of their academy to be their main striker? Rashford/Greenwood maybe?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan Johnson said:

Outside of Harry Kane, when was the last time a top 6 club trusted a player out of their academy to be their main striker? Rashford/Greenwood maybe?

He doesn't need to be their main striker and its an area of their strong squad that has been weak this season.

Not impossible that Lukaku and Werner both leave in the summer and Havertz hasnt really impressed either - he isnt a genuine no9 like Broja.

A club like Chelsea will always sign the best players around but aged 20 I would imagine Broja is a confident lad who would back himself to stay in the first team squad if given a chance to prove himself. Plus Chelsea play so many games, he could be a great 3rd striker for them.

From his point of view surely you would at least want to find out...

56 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

I agree,

I would also say that the current list of players who've come through their youth ranks to become established members of the first team is a mis-representation of the habitual normal over the last 10+ seasons.

Their transfer ban meant they couldn't spend money on players they otherwise likely would have. Would Mason Mount have been given the opportunity if A) he wasn't at Debry with Lampard the seasons before and B) Chelsea were able to spend the Hazard Money straight away? 

Andreas Christensen
Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Trevoh Chalobah
Mason Mount

Reece James
Callum Hudson-Odoi

Surely this means the talent coming through their academy is significantly better than it has been in previous years. From my dealings with their local academies they are superbly run and work to attract and develop the players. 

I think It’s a bit disingenuous to suggest Mount only got his chance because of a transfer ban, he’s clearly from the very top drawer and clearly destined for Champions League football. 

3 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Surely this means the talent coming through their academy is significantly better than it has been in previous years. From my dealings with their local academies they are superbly run and work to attract and develop the players. 

I think It’s a bit disingenuous to suggest Mount only got his chance because of a transfer ban, he’s clearly from the very top drawer and clearly destined for Champions League football. 

I’m not sure Mount would have ever been given a chance at Chelsea if they didn’t get the transfer ban. Similar with James. They sold Abraham, Ake, Tomori,  Guehi in recent years…

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I’m not sure Mount would have ever been given a chance at Chelsea if they didn’t get the transfer ban. Similar with James. They sold Abraham, Ake, Tomori,  Guehi in recent years…

They're not selling Mount or James any time soon.

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

A club like Chelsea will always sign the best players around but aged 20 I would imagine Broja is a confident lad who would back himself to stay in the first team squad if given a chance to prove himself. Plus Chelsea play so many games, he could be a great 3rd striker for them.

From his point of view surely you would at least want to find out...

The counterpoint to that is that he might not find out, and might find himself warming the bench for a season or two, as countless other talented youngsters have already discovered at bigger clubs. The benefits of him staying at a club like ours are that he is pretty much guaranteed first team football every week, which is the fastest/only way to truly develop your game, and puts him on show against premiership opposition. If he's good enough he'll be noticed much more quickly here than in the odd cup game for Chelsea, and he's young enough to have plenty of time ahead playing at a bigger club if he ends up being as good as we think he will. Not to mention, he can do all of that while on double or triple the salary he is currently getting from Chelsea. From Chelsea's point of view, they can insert a buy-back clause (makes very little difference to us in reality, as we'd end up selling in a few years anyway), so they get their player developed and put a few quid in the bank in the mean time.

OK maybe that's wishful thinking from someone who wants him to stay, but you can certainly make a good case for it. Plus apparently he likes it here and his family want him to stay (I think I read that last bit somewhere..).

14 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

That’s not my point. They’re established now, they would never have been given the opportunity IMO if they could have bought players over those years 

This is very valid.  I know Marc Guehi through family, he told me they (his age group and those around him) were delighted that Lampard (and more directly, Jody Morris) were appointed because they had already worked with them and knew they would be in with a chance.  Mount took his chance, but it is possible he might not have got it otherwise.

18 hours ago, jawillwill said:

It's hardly cryptic. It's just a post in support of one of "our" players, who's been quite good recently. No need to read too much in to it.

Yeah of course you are right! I remember all the other players they have highlighted with a random picture and nothing but a star emoji. Don’t be daft. Saints media team full well know that AB is on everyone’s lips at the moment so they are hardly doing this by chance. They want us to read into it and I suspect something has happened, but it may be as simple as Broja making a positive media statement about Saints rather than any advance on a deal.

• Like 1

I would have thought joining us would be a no brainer for AB. He seems a pretty level headed guy who knows where he is at now (ie, still learning the game) and what he could become (which could still range from a lower level PL striker to a top CL performer). He could go back to Chelsea, who almose certainly will at best give him a place on the bench for the next couple of seasons with ther occasional run out, whilst they wait and see if he can develop into that top level player we all hope for (as would probably any current CL side).  Or he could join us, get regular game time for the next couple of seasons whilst still developing, safe in the knowledge that if he develops into a CL quality striker in those couple of years (and we ourselves don't reach those dizzy heights 🤣) then we are unlikely to stand in his way when clubs at that level start sniffing around.

Either way, if he develops as well as we hope over the next couple of years he'll end up at a CL team. But he'll develop a lot quicker, and probably enjoy himself a lot more, playing for us week in week out whilst doing so.

Which to be fair fits entirely with our business model in recent times, which, despite new owners is unlikely to change any time soon.

1 hour ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

What if we sign him and he goes full Saganowski...

That would involved Ralph losing the plot, putting out a truly hopeless team every week, with Romeu at LB, Long starting ahead of Broja most games and sending the latter on for the last 5 minutes when we're 3-0 down. I don't think that's likely to happen.

On 17/01/2022 at 19:16, Dragon_man said:

Based on his tweets, after match interviews etc. he seems very happy here and is enjoying life playing for us. Maybe he just wants to keep that going. Some players just click with a manager and club, and produce their best form, maybe he sees playing regularly here for like 3 seasons or so at a club he likes, with players he likes, in a style that suits him is going to be better for his long term career than just another loan with us and then hoping something happens at Chelsea or he might get a move to another big club.

3 seasons scoring like 15+ for us and a big club will probably step up and want to make him their main man.

Also people worrying about what Tuchel said about him, I wouldn't be too bothered by that, firstly doubt he has much say in that anyway but I reckon he'll be sacked before long if they keep up this crappy form. Yeh he's won them the Champs league and got to two domestic cup finals, but their league form is patchy, saw a stat that said their PL form under Tuchel across a whole season would work out at about 71 points, 1 more than Lampard managed with a transfer ban. Abramovich doesn't have much sentiment for managers, he sacked Mourinho and Conte like less than 9 months after they won the league and ditched Di Matteo pretty quick when he'd steered them to the Champs league. 

Keep this stuttering league form up and not getting the best out of a £100 million pound striker he'll be gone I reckon, definitely think they'll get rid off Tuchel before they get rid of Lukaku. 

33 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Based on his tweets, after match interviews etc. he seems very happy here and is enjoying life playing for us. Maybe he just wants to keep that going. Some players just click with a manager and club, and produce their best form, maybe he sees playing regularly here for like 3 seasons or so at a club he likes, with players he likes, in a style that suits him is going to be better for his long term career than just another loan with us and then hoping something happens at Chelsea or he might get a move to another big club.

3 seasons scoring like 15+ for us and a big club will probably step up and want to make him their main man.

Also people worrying about what Tuchel said about him, I wouldn't be too bothered by that, firstly doubt he has much say in that anyway but I reckon he'll be sacked before long if they keep up this crappy form. Yeh he's won them the Champs league and got to two domestic cup finals, but their league form is patchy, saw a stat that said their PL form under Tuchel across a whole season would work out at about 71 points, 1 more than Lampard managed with a transfer ban. Abramovich doesn't have much sentiment for managers, he sacked Mourinho and Conte like less than 9 months after they won the league and ditched Di Matteo pretty quick when he'd steered them to the Champs league. 

Keep this stuttering league form up and not getting the best out of a £100 million pound striker he'll be gone I reckon, definitely think they'll get rid off Tuchel before they get rid of Lukaku. 

What if Ralph gets the Chelsea job after Tuchel and takes Broja with him ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

That would involved Ralph losing the plot, putting out a truly hopeless team every week, with Romeu at LB, Long starting ahead of Broja most games and sending the latter on for the last 5 minutes when we're 3-0 down. I don't think that's likely to happen.

It has to be said that Saganowski didn't exactly set the world alight when he left us either. I'm still mystified about what happened with him

33 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

It's looking more and more likely that he will be here for at least another season, whether that be on loan or purchased with a buy back clause.  I'd happily take either at this moment.

Loan deal has already excluded?

Personally don t really understand why as it makes moresense from a chelsea perspective

https://theathletic.com/news/fifa-announces-new-loan-rules-to-clamp-down-on-player-hoarding/wuM4m5NzCPic/

I wonder if this might be a factor for players like Broja in the future? If clubs can only loan out 8 players internationally then fewer going forwards, it would see some players not in the team effectively stuck, which is how they are hoping to stop clubs like Chelsea hoarding, I guess. Must surely work in our favour?

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

44 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

https://theathletic.com/news/fifa-announces-new-loan-rules-to-clamp-down-on-player-hoarding/wuM4m5NzCPic/

I wonder if this might be a factor for players like Broja in the future? If clubs can only loan out 8 players internationally then fewer going forwards, it would see some players not in the team effectively stuck, which is how they are hoping to stop clubs like Chelsea hoarding, I guess. Must surely work in our favour?

U-21s exempt though

21 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Social Media, Twitter, FB, etc. See article in the Athletic, Echo, Hampshire Live. If you are not seeing it you must live a very sheltered life. 

Must do - don’t do social media, FB, twitter. Can’t be arsed to pay for the athletic so just here the echo and on occasion HL. And there weren’t daily updates from the club on the last two. So thanks for the condescending attitude.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Doesnt seem to make much of a difference tbh. Especially when it comes to hoarding kids. Especially with the slow roll out of that rule.