Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

50 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

It’s really annoying because you know the teams with the extra financial muscle: Villa / Newcastle / West Ham / Everton are going to sniff around this.

It's jot that annoying really. Enjoy him while he is here and if he goes elsewhere, hopefully we can pull another good one out of the bag for next year. 

• Like 2

This is a vague post so bear with me. I am sure Ralph mentioned recently that Semmens has a good relationship with the woman that oversees Chelsea transfers. I particularly noticed Ralph called her by her first name and they were in constant contact 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, manji said:

This is a vague post so bear with me. I am sure Ralph mentioned recently that Semmens has a good relationship with the woman that oversees Chelsea transfers. I particularly noticed Ralph called her by her first name and they were in constant contact 

Marina Granovskaia - she's basically Martin Semmens equivalent at Chelsea.

9 hours ago, Mr X said:

Does anyone think In time AA can get to his level for us? 

To Brojas higher limit, no. 

Do I think Armstrong could be a 10 goal a season striker - which will always be a decent return for a striker at a side like us - absolutely. The lad can clearly finish he just needs to be smarter about what he's doing. He looks like his brain is frozen every time he receives the ball. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

To Brojas higher limit, no. 

Do I think Armstrong could be a 10 goal a season striker - which will always be a decent return for a striker at a side like us - absolutely. The lad can clearly finish he just needs to be smarter about what he's doing. He looks like his brain is frozen every time he receives the ball. 

This is the main question with Armstrong. Is he lacking composure or awareness? If the former, then an increase in confidence might elevate him, but if it's the latter then he may have been flattered by the pace and space of a lower league, and never translate it to the PL. 

He can clearly hit a ball well under the right circumstances, but he'll need to start doing that reliably soon, as he'd not got outstanding strength, control or straightline speed. 

This argument still going then.

Horses for courses, Broja came in and made the place his.

He will fall out of form and Armstrong will come back in, whose to say he doesn't score a few goals more himself as well.

There doesn't always have to be a winner and a loser in discussions even on here. 

Both are better players than everyone on this forum and have forgotten more about playing In a premier league than we will ever learn.

First season in epl requires some adjustments for both in different ways, expect some improvements this 2nd half of the season now.

• Like 4

Once Crook had finally taken himself off mute (its always him) in the presser yesterday he asled about Broja and Hasenhuttl's response appeared to me to hint that a second loan was maybe more likely than a permanent move.

Perhaps that does really represent out best chance of keeping him a bit longer as no way Chelsea would loan him to more of a perceived direct rival like West Ham or Arsenal and as RH said Chelsea must be impressed with how he has developed on loan so if they go down that path again there is really no reason for him to go anywhere else, certainly not if he stays in the PL.

Hypothetically if you were Saints and could sign up him up right now to a 2nd season on loan would you take it, or risk going to the open market in the summer?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Once Crook had finally taken himself off mute (its always him) in the presser yesterday he asled about Broja and Hasenhuttl's response appeared to me to hint that a second loan was maybe more likely than a permanent move.

Perhaps that does really represent out best chance of keeping him a bit longer as no way Chelsea would loan him to more of a perceived direct rival like West Ham or Arsenal and as RH said Chelsea must be impressed with how he has developed on loan so if they go down that path again there is really no reason for him to go anywhere else, certainly not if he stays in the PL.

Hypothetically if you were Saints and could sign up him up right now to a 2nd season on loan would you take it, or risk going to the open market in the summer?

A loan is as good as a transfer with a buyback clause to be fair.  

In reality Tino's transfer is no more than a loan due to this in any case.

On 30/01/2022 at 21:30, manji said:

Naughty old Ralph, I hope he hasn't sent her any pictures that are going to come back to haunt him!

7 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

Not really. We make £33m from selling Tino if Chelsea want him back whereas with a loan we'd make nothing and may even have to pay a loan fee. That is a huge sum of money to reinvest.

1 hour ago, once_bitterne said:

Both of those statements are not true.

There is no obligation for Chelsea to buy him back, plus even if they do it sees Saints making a huge profit on him which would not be the case if it was a loan.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Both of those statements are not true.

There is no obligation for Chelsea to buy him back, plus even if they do it sees Saints making a huge profit on him which would not be the case if it was a loan.

I believe the original poster is reflecting on the impact to the team not the bank balance. 

22 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I believe the original poster is reflecting on the impact to the team not the bank balance. 

My point still stands even if he meant it that way. The Livramento deal is not the same as a loan as there is no obligation for him to return to Chelsea as there would be if he was loaned to us.

54 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Except it's not clear what once_bitterne is getting at if that is the case.

Is the impact positive (he's working hard to get in the Chelsea team) or negative (he's not fussed about Saints)?

I think you might need to accept the guy doesn't really understand how buy-back works and how our deal is structured.

Edited by CB Fry

26 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Except it's not clear what once_bitterne is getting at if that is the case.

Is the impact positive (he's working hard to get in the Chelsea team) or negative (he's not fussed about Saints)?

I think you might need to accept the guy doesn't really understand how buy-back works and how our deal is structured.

Maybe the impact is as simple as available, part of the squad, wearing the red and white - all positive as far as his team mates are concerned.  To suggest he's not fussed about Saints is lacking a tad of depth and human intelligence whilst also disregarding the pissibolity that Chelsea won't buy back (Tino) or sell (Broja)

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Maybe the impact is as simple as available, part of the squad, wearing the red and white - all positive as far as his team mates are concerned.  To suggest he's not fussed about Saints is lacking a tad of depth and human intelligence whilst also disregarding the pissibolity that Chelsea won't buy back (Tino) or sell (Broja)

What the f**k are you on about now?

3 hours ago, notnowcato said:

All I am saying us there is nothing in this reply that justifies your explanation of it:

4 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

The simple fact is the deal we have with Tino is significantly better than a loan. Because we own the player and can get money if we sell him on. On every single level it is not "no more than a loan". Bank balance, squad, whatever. All levels.

That's it. It's clear neither you or Once_bitterne can actually grasp that, so spare me the "lack of human intelligence" routine.

Edited by CB Fry

31 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

What the f**k are you on about now?

All I am saying us there is nothing in this reply that justifies your explanation of it:

The simple fact is the deal we have with Tino is significantly better than a loan. Because we own the player and can get money if we sell him on. On every single level it is not "no more than a loan". Bank balance, squad, whatever. All levels.

That's it. It's clear neither you or Once_bitterne can actually grasp that, so spare me the "lack of human intelligence" routine.

All fluff and bluster as per usual. Unable to answer any points raised at a dignified level. 
Some jobs going at no.10 as of the last couple of days, suspect you’re over qualified though. 

7 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

All fluff and bluster as per usual. Unable to answer any points raised at a dignified level. 
Some jobs going at no.10 as of the last couple of days, suspect you’re over qualified though. 

What points have you raised to me that I am supposed to answer?

All I can see is you completely misunderstanding what I've written.

I could tell immediately it was bad. Shouldn't have made him play on he looked in a lot of pain. I reckon his knee will swell like a balloon now. It was a very cynical foul but I feel Ralph has to take some of the blame for his initial selection. I also felt Adams should have come on instead given that Broja is the star striker for us this season and we can't afford to lose him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

It didn't look good for him. It's unfortunate, but I'd have fancied Broja, on current form, and in the way Coventry playes, to have more of an impact on the game. And impact was needed.

There is the question on there being too many starting changes prompting the need to bring him into the game.

But then, he was one of those changes. Had he started and got crocked, I'm sure the manager would be getting questioned too.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I could tell immediately it was bad. Shouldn't have made him play on he looked in a lot of pain. I reckon his knee will swell like a balloon now. It was a very cynical foul but I feel Ralph has to take some of the blame for his initial selection. I also felt Adams should have come on instead given that Broja is the star striker for us this season and we can't afford to lose him.

Kick on the knee according to Ralph and hopefully not serious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Agreed on this. The initial selection was poor. Left us exposed to a long slog with extra time and not being able to protect key players through substitutions!

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

If he'd have got that injury as a starter there'd be pelters because we didn't rest him etc.

In an ideal world Broja wasn't going to be used at all today, but sadly the replacements were so bad we had no choice. And even worse is that he got an injury in the mix of it all, right in the final min of 120. The difference he made to our attack was frightening though, it shone a poor light on the players on before him as this is a young kid.

• Like 6

Yeah i was sat pretty close and it was pretty clumsy tackle although it was cynical because AB was away but at 1st it did look like a dead leg, didn't look knee related at all, since then a few mentions and pics of the knee

Edited by danjosaint

On 04/02/2022 at 10:57, once_bitterne said:

No it isnt 😅

But its a reasonable backup option. He's fairly key for our side, and it would allow us to properly scout and get the finances for a replacement once Broja has gone for good.

If it was the only way to retain him, i would take a second loan. The only caveat to that is that I wouldn't if in some way Broja's loan was preventing the signing/development of a long term option - which i'd say is unlikely.

The only thing i would say, is that Che Adams is a solid option for us and the way we play, he's still young and improving, and if he had a dangerous second striker alongside him (or 2 good No.10s) he would be more than adequate.

Edited by Saint86

24 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Ahhhh....the old "magic" sponge. I remember it well!

Yeah and if that didnt work stick a cortisone injection in 'em, he'll be running around like Billy Whizz before you can say ruptured cruciate ligament