Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

I think he is one of those single minded strikers who is always going to take the shot on and try to add to his goal tally regardless of who is in a better position. I actually like this attitude and maybe he'd lose something if we try to coach it out of him. It's a fine line.

Its not a case of coaching it out of him - its more a case of enhancing what obvious talent he has for the benefit of the team - add that to his abilities and a career back at Chelsea won't be bench warming with what they have on hand in their team. 

13 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

According to the BBC Arsenal are keen on him.
Bigger club than Saints and probably able to offer higher wages to him (and his Agent) but possibly Chelsea would not be keen to see him go to another London club.

It is not 'according to the BBC'. The BBC gossip page merely lists rumours from other websites. It is not the BBC making the claim.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/transfer-news/arsenal-armando-broja-transfer-martinelli-23085209?_ga=2.264847820.276700759.1644786310-2108179463.1643299921

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It is not 'according to the BBC'. The BBC gossip page merely lists rumours from other websites. It is not the BBC making the claim.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/transfer-news/arsenal-armando-broja-transfer-martinelli-23085209?_ga=2.264847820.276700759.1644786310-2108179463.1643299921

It is still what the BBC have published on their Gossip web page. According to the BBC Arsenal are rumoured to be sniffing around is perfectly correct, that is where he read the report. Try stopping being a pedant for a while, you may find it beneficial. We all know what he meant, but you have to be Mr Picky, God knows why or what you get out of it.

• Like 5

One of the things Semmens said is that this takeover will allow us the opportunity to buy a 'Broja' in the future, rather than only going in for a loan.

We were massively handtied in the summer financially and after Armstrong could only go in for a loan for Broja. If we had more finances behind us I reckon we'd have acted quicker and paid a fee for him even before he'd signed his contract, as he hadn't signed that too long before we got him on loan.

Would say our chances of a permanent signing are less than 1% and a second loan probably looking less likely by each game.

Chelsea will surely use him next season and if they were to sell we will have no chance of competing with the big clubs that will want him.

Great loan from a Saints, Chelsea and Broja perspective - just a shame we couldn't have bought him last summer.

Edited by Dusic

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Not sure Chelsea sell to a rival. Although, are Arsenal a rival these days? 

If it wasn't already, I think the cat is well and truly out of the bag about how a good a player he is. 

If Broja signs for arsenal they’d definitely be a direct rival then if they arnt already ..he’s only going to get better and I can’t see chelsea giving arsenal a leg up tbh 

16 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Would say our chances of a permanent signing are less than 1% and a second loan probably looking less likely by each game.

Chelsea will surely use him next season and if they were to sell we will have no chance of competing with the big clubs that will want him.

Great loan from a Saints, Chelsea and Broja perspective - just a shame we couldn't have bought him last summer.

Yeah if the likes of Bayern and Dortmund are now interested then we need to start looking elsewhere 😔.

Regardless if Broja sees us as a great step in his development, theres no chance he will turn down these calibre of clubs if Chelsea even decide to sell.

I'm not quite as negative about our chances of signing him as others are. 

I don't think Chelsea will be in a position to move on from Lukaku so quickly considering the financial outlay they have made on him, so I don't see a scenario where Lukaku isn't first choice striker there next season. Even if they wanted to sell him they'd have to take an enormous loss on him which I just don't think they'd be prepared to do.

I also don't think they will sell Broja without a buy back clause, as they must see his potential and realise in 2 or 3 years time, when they can move on from Lukaku, he would be ready to lead the line for them. Any buy back clause rules out a lot of clubs IMO. Can anyone really see Arsenal or any other big clubs buying a player from Chelsea with a buy back clause included? The optics would be awful for them. The buy back will also help to bring the paying price down for him so I don't think we'll be priced out of it. 20/25 million with a buy back of 60 is realistic I think.

Broja will have had 12 months on loan here playing week in week out, scoring goals and working under one of the best coaches in the league. He can carry that on and will very likely have the opportunity to go back to Chelsea in a few years if that is his ultimate goal. And in the meantime he gets a big pay rise by signing for us permanently. I see that as being a pretty good scenario for him

• Like 3

3 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

I suspect even if we'd signed Broja on a permanent last summer, if Dortmund came in looking for him to replace Haaland, we'd probably be seeing the back of him after a season anyway.

Dortmund don't spend massively big on one player, if we would have paid 20m/30m or so for Broja and he was a success then he would be out their price range. Not that it matters as he ain't our player 😅

• Like 1

If we are positioned as a club to develop promising young players and them sell them to a bigger clubs, then so long as we have taken enough points to secure the premiership next year, we should start develop other players such as AA, instead of developing Broja which will add no value to us.  And we should prefer Livramento type deals rather than a pure loan deals for talented players.  

• Like 1

With every passing week, the more this lad looks to be slipping away. 

I cant say I’m surprised. From the second he stepped onto the pitch, it was obvious this lad was going to be a super star. 

My only hope is that I can’t see Chelsea selling to a European rival and if they sell, will almost certainly want to include a buy back clause. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

By that logic, how are we meant to attract a top class striker when the coaches and players aren’t good enough for our existing top class striker?

Is it no obivious to you that we do not attract top class players to SFC we sometimes manage to attract young players who become top class players but it is rather hit and miss and takes time for them to develop

Without a huge amount of investment that is going to continue but that is OK with me

34 minutes ago, Dman said:

With every passing week, the more this lad looks to be slipping away. 

I cant say I’m surprised. From the second he stepped onto the pitch, it was obvious this lad was going to be a super star. 

My only hope is that I can’t see Chelsea selling to a European rival and if they sell, will almost certainly want to include a buy back clause. 

To be fair, it was obvious that we were never signing him on a permanent deal. He looked like a raw Ibrahimovic clone to me from the off, was scoring for fun at international level with unbelievable finishes, and was on a 6 year contract. He was (and is) always going to be a top top player. Our best hope was (and is) a second year loan but I think he'll be loaned to a top European league next season to gain a different experience to then be Chelsea ready. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Broja won’t be ready for Chelsea next season. Massive waste to see him sat on their bench. I think he’s loaned out again next season, hopefully it will be us. 

I was wondering why you think that

Hopefully he will score about 10 PL goals for us this season so there is the likelihood if he played for Chelsea with better players creating more chances  and having more experience and of course playing against us twice he could score perhaps 15 PL goals which would be pretty good

15 minutes ago, John B said:

Hopefully he will score about 10 PL goals for us this season so there is the likelihood if he played for Chelsea with better players creating more chances  and having more experience and of course playing against us twice he could score perhaps 15 PL goals which would be pretty good

I mean no because if he played for Chelsea he wouldn’t get the game time hence the loan 😉

Enjoy him while you can people, the very best we can hope for is another loan. I cant see Chelsea selling him at all. Whoever identified him at the club deserves a huge pat on the back, no one had heard of him and was on no ones radar 9 months ago so top scouting which is at least some comfort that we are looking in the right places so should be optimistic of finding other gems like him. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, John B said:

Tammy Abraham also scored 15 goals for Chelsea in 2019-20. He also currently has 11 goals in Serie A, but isn't being talked about as coming back for Chelsea in the same vein. 

Really what they are after is that 20+ goalscorer, hence why they spent £97.5m on Lukaku. I'm not sure Broja has that in his locker just yet, but there is certainly potential. 

All the best teams that win the league have had that, I'd argue City last season was an exception. 

If I was Chelsea I wouldn't sell him, after all there is 4 years left on that contract and they'd have to pay over the odds for a player they already have.

Chelsea should loan him one more time with a high loan fee and a potential recall clause.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Enjoy him while you can people, the very best we can hope for is another loan. I cant see Chelsea selling him at all. Whoever identified him at the club deserves a huge pat on the back, no one had heard of him and was on no ones radar 9 months ago so top scouting which is at least some comfort that we are looking in the right places so should be optimistic of finding other gems like him. 

Agree with this. As we are all armchair experts, IMO he either goes back to CFC or out on loan - not sold. Question might be would CFC want to loan him to us, or would they want to loan to an overseas club playing in Euro competitions? Would EU clubs in Euro comps want to have him on loan for a year rather than a permanent? Ball is firmly in Chelsea's court but suspect that they will not want to get rid of him. They were pretty adamant they wouldn't sell to us over the summer, so he is in their plans. But I guess everyone has their price - just can't see CFC selling to Arsenal. 

I guess it also depends on how grounded he is. Far too many young players find themselves attracted to the bright lights of a big club, to end up warming a bench. Of course in this case it is slightly different, as he has a 5 year contract with CFC already and is coming the other way to get experience. As I said earlier he's 20 and got a decande and a half in front of him. A year or two more out on loan becoming much more polished wouldn't do him any harm (and he has that luxury of the long term contract). 

21 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Tammy Abraham also scored 15 goals for Chelsea in 2019-20. He also currently has 11 goals in Serie A, but isn't being talked about as coming back for Chelsea in the same vein. 

Really what they are after is that 20+ goalscorer, hence why they spent £97.5m on Lukaku. I'm not sure Broja has that in his locker just yet, but there is certainly potential. 

All the best teams that win the league have had that, I'd argue City last season was an exception. 

If I was Chelsea I wouldn't sell him, after all there is 4 years left on that contract and they'd have to pay over the odds for a player they already have.

Chelsea should loan him one more time with a high loan fee and a potential recall clause.

They sold Tammy to Roma for £35m 

Whether Broja is better I do not know but I agree I do not think Chelsea will sell him they may loan to another club to gain experience with other players and systems or perhaps play him themselves I would be surprised if he came back here.

Which leaves us with a lack of a reliable consistent striker

See I think they will loan him back to us, regular epl game time will get him to where Chelsea want, what benefit is playing in Holland, France Belgium or Italy. Unless he's playing Champions league he'd learn more in Premier league, they won't sell him to another top 4 side or probably Newcastle and if he can get say 12-15 in a Saints side 2 seasons running then Chelsea will know he's ready, he won't be loaned out to a team who plays same formation as Chelsea as Tuchel probably won't be there in 18mths so there be onto another Manager/formation 

8 hours ago, Verbal Kint said:

I'm not quite as negative about our chances of signing him as others are. 

I don't think Chelsea will be in a position to move on from Lukaku so quickly considering the financial outlay they have made on him, so I don't see a scenario where Lukaku isn't first choice striker there next season. Even if they wanted to sell him they'd have to take an enormous loss on him which I just don't think they'd be prepared to do.

I also don't think they will sell Broja without a buy back clause, as they must see his potential and realise in 2 or 3 years time, when they can move on from Lukaku, he would be ready to lead the line for them. Any buy back clause rules out a lot of clubs IMO. Can anyone really see Arsenal or any other big clubs buying a player from Chelsea with a buy back clause included? The optics would be awful for them. The buy back will also help to bring the paying price down for him so I don't think we'll be priced out of it. 20/25 million with a buy back of 60 is realistic I think.

Broja will have had 12 months on loan here playing week in week out, scoring goals and working under one of the best coaches in the league. He can carry that on and will very likely have the opportunity to go back to Chelsea in a few years if that is his ultimate goal. And in the meantime he gets a big pay rise by signing for us permanently. I see that as being a pretty good scenario for him

I’m going with this because it means he stays permanently and not because I think it will happen. 😉

Our best hope is that Chelsea win the race for Haaland in the summer. Anyone that thinks they won't be in for him - with a "cheap" release clause in place - is naive. He will be the world's top scorer for the next 10+ years, everyone with money to spend will be putting a bid in. And if Chelsea manage it, then Broja will never be anything more than backup staying there.

• Like 1

I refer you to my post about the article on Chelsea's plans in yesterday's Telegraph. Broja does NOT get a mention in their plans for next season. Keep Lukaku and get him firing is the plan and "there could be a change in Chelsea's attack with doubts over the futures of Pulisic, Werner and Havertz".

As others have said, cannot see them selling him at this stage - however, if they do decide another loan is what's needed for his development, I suspect we will be top of the list.

Wouldn't surprise me if we announced an extension of the loan before the end of the season.

If we are lucky enough to have him another year, I hope we also look to sign another striker anyway. With goal machine Shane out of contract, would be good to find another Broja type that we can bring in for succession planning.

Big fan of Broja. I really hope he makes a good choice regarding his career. It would be such a shame to see him go back and get little game time. 

And he is not ready to be a starter for Chelsea, that is clear. They wouldn't have the patience.

One other thing that bumps us up the loan list should be, Chelsea should recognise that we have taken good points off their direct rivals. That is a nice additional incentive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danjosaint said:

See I think they will loan him back to us, regular epl game time will get him to where Chelsea want, what benefit is playing in Holland, France Belgium or Italy. Unless he's playing Champions league he'd learn more in Premier league, they won't sell him to another top 4 side or probably Newcastle and if he can get say 12-15 in a Saints side 2 seasons running then Chelsea will know he's ready, he won't be loaned out to a team who plays same formation as Chelsea as Tuchel probably won't be there in 18mths so there be onto another Manager/formation 

You also have to factor in what Broja wants. He seems happy here so maybe he'd be up for another season on loan to us and that may also suit Chelsea who'll be keen to see him develop further and help take vital points from their close rivals.

I see chelsea fans have produced 2 Youtubes of his form this season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro9qqrfkf30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C84FZzTYuLM

(1) I hope they notice there are NO headers, NO Left Foot shots only RIGHT FOOT shots and dribbles. 

There have been times in Saints games where a LEFT FOOT shot would have been a better option i.e. Leicester (H) (less than 10mins to go, score 2-2) he is played in by Adams 8 yards out on his Left Foot and he choses to try and spin around on his right.

7:37 mins into highlights  https://www.southamptonfc.com/2021/12/02/highlights-southampton-leicester-city-premier-league-2021 

(2) All his good play is when the ball is played up to him EARLY, there are no examples of the arsenal system of the 20 passes just to get the ball to the half way line. Going there would be a backward step for him, no wonder all their strikers want out, they want the ball early as well.   

• Like 1

Broja goes at end of season if Chelsea want him to move immediately into their starting lineup which is unlikely. But I’m sure either way they will want to keep him on their books (why wouldn’t they with his first season progress)

Another loan is a good move for them, costs them very little and they get to watch him continue to develop with a team that is making him a world beater where he is already settled at what is looking like a stable club under Semmens.

if they don’t Want him anytime soon then a development sell with contractual buyback is the option as they did with Tino Livramento. Again Chelsea get to know they have the option to bring him back as first refusal if their outlook is a few years or so.

Despite what the media believe I think we are still in with a hope of another season despite all the other club and media interest but it will rely on Chelsea not being pressured into taking him immediately into their main setup or already having made decision he is not fit for purpose both of which are unlikely. They are also unlikely to loan to a CL rival which takes out quite a few clubs.

At the very least I think Chelsea has also found a new very potentially profitable business partner in Saints and it is going to continue for a few years. There is an element of Chelsea maybe wanting to keep that sweet if the stars align above re:Broja.

Also Semmens has basically just announced to the entire elite clubs of Europe; Send us your brightest talents that aren’t ready yet and we’ll make them into superstars for you instead of buying them off us for 70m a la Liverpool.

So I’m quite confident we will have our pick of the young talent pool that’s in the wings and on the sidelines if Broja moves on.

5 hours ago, John B said:

I feel he still needs space to fully understand his game at the top level. He needs to go through a dip in form and know what it takes to come through that. He needs more composure at those critical moments that a striker faces. 

All of those things and no doubt more, I think, are best learnt away from the hyper critical spotlight you have at English champions league clubs. 

I believe if Armando is given that space over the next 18 months Chelsea will reap the reward. 

All of that could of course be bollocks and possibly wishful thinking on my part. Time will tell. 

4 hours ago, nta786 said:

Abraham started well for Chelsea, but faded a little (or dropped out of favour) and Chelsea must have felt they could do better. Lukaka being the `better'. That perhaps is a good reminder that Chelsea eat at the top table. They are not interested in good, they are interested in CL winner. Will Broja help win them the league and the CL next season. That's the key for them. If not, he can go out on loan until he can.

Note that Abraham has 17 goals already this season in a middling Roma side.

8 hours ago, HKsaint said:

If we are positioned as a club to develop promising young players and them sell them to a bigger clubs, then so long as we have taken enough points to secure the premiership next year, we should start develop other players such as AA, instead of developing Broja which will add no value to us. 

In a 46 game Football League Championship season this makes sense, but in a 38 game Prem season, with serious money for each league place, can a side like us afford to not pick our best side? There us value - millions` of quid in fact.

When it comes to development', players like AA will still be training with the opportunity to improve. Missing some match days doesn't prevent development. It doesn't help, but you have to go with the hot hand. AA (and maybe someone like Tella) will have ample opportunity to both improve and impress the manager in training to force their way back in. But unless they have their confidence back, and looking sharp, they don't get the shirt back this season.  A long summer and preseason and AA can come back a new man and earn that place again.

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

If, he is sent out on loan again, would Chelsea look for an alternative club to Saints, maybe abroad or in Europe, or do you think they will see another season in the Prem making more sense?

I don’t think Europe - the level he would need would be lower end CL. No team would take him in that bracket as he wouldn’t be able to play against CFC. Not sure who else would be better than saints tbh. CFC age not going to loan to a rival either. Now he has attained a level with us it’s not going to be easy for CFC to loan him out to a team better than us imho.

There is absolutely no way Chelsea sell him to any of the other top five teams in the Premier League. Like many others have suggested I think the best we can hope for is a second loan. However,if I was loan manager at Chelsea I would be looking to loan him out to a team that qualified for the Champions League. See what he can do at that level. Guess that would mean a team from Spain,Germany or Italy

8 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

There is absolutely no way Chelsea sell him to any of the other top five teams in the Premier League. Like many others have suggested I think the best we can hope for is a second loan. However,if I was loan manager at Chelsea I would be looking to loan him out to a team that qualified for the Champions League. See what he can do at that level. Guess that would mean a team from Spain,Germany or Italy

Would that really benefit him more than another season in the Premier League? 6 CL group games and may a few other games vs a 38 PL season with 10 games vs the non Chelsea big 6 teams plus further experience in the English top flight.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Would that really benefit him more than another season in the Premier League? 6 CL group games and may a few other games vs a 38 PL season with 10 games vs the non Chelsea big 6 teams plus further experience in the English top flight.

Jesus Christ!

• Like 1