Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

Has there ever been anything to suggest that the deal agreed with Atletico for Alderweireld was anything beyond a guaranteed price if the player decided he wanted to join? It always seemed quite open and shut to me that the player just didn't want to sign permanently and wasn't contractually obliged to.

11 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Hasn't someone got a bloody builder at the moment, who knows someone, who knows someone else, who is fairly close to the woman (or guy) who walks one of the players dogs (not sure which player) so we can find out exactly what is occurring?

What that rarest of rare things the elusive ITK? 

Ralph Hasenhuttl on signing Armando Broja: “To be honest, it doesn’t affect me massively because we know he is here until the end of the season. We have enough time to talk to them [Chelsea]. Let this guy play football.”

Is this a bit of a u turn after his comments like “sure he loves it here let’s do it”

and broja parents wanting him to stay and all the sfc media tweets ?

Its not a u-turn but its definitely a reality check of the situation and his comments suggest to me that there is still quite a lot of persuading that Broja would need to turn his back on Chelsea at this point.

Quite similar to the comments he often made about Ings. 

Clearly there is a difference between being happy and liking it at Saints and actually pushing to sign permanently.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Ralph Hasenhuttl on signing Armando Broja: “To be honest, it doesn’t affect me massively because we know he is here until the end of the season. We have enough time to talk to them [Chelsea]. Let this guy play football.”

Is this a bit of a u turn after his comments like “sure he loves it here let’s do it”

and broja parents wanting him to stay and all the sfc media tweets ?

No.  Same article quotes him saying:

"I think he definitely enjoys it here and he should see what he has with this club here. I think he sees this because we gave him a big chance to show up."

What will be will be with him. We all want us to sign him, but he’s not our player and we’d understand him going back to Chelsea.

Hopefully we can just enjoy him this season, and the club can see what they can do. It would be best for his career to stay at saints, but players + agents don’t always make the right decision. 

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

Its not a u-turn but its definitely a reality check of the situation and his comments suggest to me that there is still quite a lot of persuading that Broja would need to turn his back on Chelsea at this point.

Quite similar to the comments he often made about Ings. 

Clearly there is a difference between being happy and liking it at Saints and actually pushing to sign permanently.

It just seems to me that all the hype and buzz came from Ralph’s original comments which was followed up by saying his parents want him to stay here.. followed by the saints twitter pouring petrol on the fire..

seems a bit weird to now act like it’s hectic rumours and let the lad play football when it was mostly Ralph and the club that have been blowing the smoke 

• Like 1

He gives us an outlet we didn't have last year, pace and power on the break. He's getting better with his hold up play as well. So many good attributes to his game.

I didn't think he'd end up being the 'Ings' replacement in the summer, but he's streets ahead of Armstrong in everything.

• Like 1

Thought he was poor. Caught offside twice when all he had to do was look across the line, missed two great chances, second was easier to score, city defenders won’t have an easier game this season, miles away from being a player good enough to start for a team like Chelsea with title ambitions. Won’t get anywhere near their side. They should cash in while they can 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1

On 18/01/2022 at 13:04, Turkish said:

i doubt he even cares that much if Chelsea have a player who might be top class in 3-4 years time. He's only lasted more than 2 years in one of his 4 management jobs, plus Chelsea rattle through their managers so he likely wont be here when Broja hits his prime if he stays at Chelsea. He'd rather sign someone as a finished article for £100m than give an young kid a load of games for a couple of years hoping they develop into what he he can buy straight away

Bit of a strange comment re rattling through managers because since the Roman shipped up they have had fewer managers than Saints come to that there are quite a few PL teams that have way more managers . Palace, Leeds, Newcastle, Watford and Leicester to name just a few. Others like Spurs &Everton and Norwich are catching them up at a pace.The days of long term appointments, well what was historically considered long terms, are fast becoming a 5ning of the past

Very very few managers feel safe enough in their job to try and develop a team. From needing to win a trophy to staving off relegation none can afford to fall short of their KPI s

14 minutes ago, terraloon said:

Bit of a strange comment re rattling through managers because since the Roman shipped up they have had fewer managers than Saints come to that there are quite a few PL teams that have way more managers . Palace, Leeds, Newcastle, Watford and Leicester to name just a few. Others like Spurs &Everton and Norwich are catching them up at a pace.The days of long term appointments, well what was historically considered long terms, are fast becoming a 5ning of the past

Very very few managers feel safe enough in their job to try and develop a team. From needing to win a trophy to staving off relegation none can afford to fall short of their KPI s

Your second comment completely agrees with my point though, despite appearing to disagree with it in your first 

Tuchel probably won’t be at Chelsea in 2-3 years so why bother risking his reputation on a youngster who won’t hit his peak until he’s long gone when he can spend £90m on a proven player now

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Thought he was poor. Caught offside twice when all he had to do was look across the line, missed two great chances, second was easier to score, city defenders won’t have an easier game this season, miles away from being a player good enough to start for a team like Chelsea with title ambitions. Won’t get anywhere near their side. They should cash in while they can 

Let's hope the decision makers at Chelsea read your comments, and believe them.  The disallowed goal was a neat package of what makes Broja so scarily promising.  Speed, strength, touch and a cool, clinical finish.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, terraloon said:

Comparing their amount of manager sackings to us is ridiculous though as in that time we've had two relegations and an administration whereas they've had 4 premier leagues, 5 FA cups, 2 champions leagues and 2 Europa leagues. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Agree, watching last night I thought it was Shane Long playing, perhaps he's his mentor at the training ground 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Gone Fishing Holiday GIF by Kev Lavery

57 minutes ago, JRM said:

Agree, watching last night I thought it was Shane Long playing, perhaps he's his mentor at the training ground 

He reminds me of Matt Paterson and he's just having the purple patch that Paterson never had. Chelsea would be well advised to cash in before Broja's inner Paterson is revealed and his form drops off a cliff.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, stknowle said:

He reminds me of Matt Paterson and he's just having the purple patch that Paterson never had. Chelsea would be well advised to cash in before Broja's inner Paterson is revealed and his form drops off a cliff.

Good comparison. I was thinking he was the Albanian Tomaz Pekhart, similar sort of hype around him. I’m not really sure why they keep saying he’s quick, he got outrun and outmuscled by the deceptively slow and weak Dias yesterday. so what he outpaced Potus Jansen for his lucky goal against Brentford, I’m quicker than that useless danish prick there is a reason why Leeds flogged him. He’ll probably go on to have a decent career in the Eastern European leagues which Is probably about his ceiling.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Good comparison. I was thinking he was the Albanian Tomaz Pekhart, similar sort of hype around him. I’m not really sure why they keep saying he’s quick, he got outrun and outmuscled by the deceptively slow and weak Dias yesterday. so what he outpaced Potus Jansen for his lucky goal against Brentford, I’m quicker than that useless danish prick there is a reason why Leeds flogged him. He’ll probably go on to have a decent career in the Eastern European leagues which Is probably about his ceiling.

Agreed. There's also elements of Pericard to his game. I'm starting to convince myself we shouldn't try to sign him. I'm not sure a Paterson-Pekhart-Pericard hybrid is what we should be looking for in the longer term.

On 20/01/2022 at 14:25, Toadhall Saint said:

Must do - don’t do social media, FB, twitter. Can’t be arsed to pay for the athletic so just here the echo and on occasion HL. And there weren’t daily updates from the club on the last two. So thanks for the condescending attitude.

I assure you that was not condescending sonny (but that was if it makes you feel better). It was in the Echo and HL as I said.

12 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Any truth in the rumours that West Ham are sniffing around him?

Who knows? But pretty clear that if he is available to us to buy permanently then half the PL will be interested.

Guessing thats why Semmens has been speaking to Chelsea to sort something, but from Ralph's last comments seems we have been told nothing happens this window.

Thats the problem with loans with no option/obligation unfortunately. 

Even if his form tails off he has shown enough now to generate a lot of interest.

21 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Any truth in the rumours that West Ham are sniffing around him?

The original source seems to be FootyInsider who spent the whole summer saying JWP was off. It's not a good or reliable source.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Armando Broja: The Ronaldo-inspired youngster who is soaring at Southampton - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60018970

Decent article on the Beeb about Broja today. 👍

Yeah, I see Lampard gave him his Chelsea debut. If we stand any chance of signing him, on a buy back or whatever, I feel it has to be done in this transfer window.

If it’s left until the summer and they decide to sell we don’t stand a chance….and if Lampard ends up somewhere you can bet your bottom dollar he’ll be sniffing around as well.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Yeah, I see Lampard gave him his Chelsea debut. If we stand any chance of signing him, on a buy back or whatever, I feel it has to be done in this transfer window.

If it’s left until the summer and they decide to sell we don’t stand a chance….and if Lampard ends up somewhere you can bet your bottom dollar he’ll be sniffing around as well.

Yes, agree. Although realistically I still think the best we are going to get is an extension to the loan for another season with no option to recall/sell to anyone else before the end of that loan. Chelsea have all the cards here as he signed a 5 year contract with them recently and I’m not really sure what’s in it for them to sell to us now for what we would be prepared to pay.

21 hours ago, Dusic said:

Who knows? But pretty clear that if he is available to us to buy permanently then half the PL will be interested.

Guessing thats why Semmens has been speaking to Chelsea to sort something, but from Ralph's last comments seems we have been told nothing happens this window.

Thats the problem with loans with no option/obligation unfortunately. 

Even if his form tails off he has shown enough now to generate a lot of interest.

Not sure Chelsea would want to sell him to a top Eight Club

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Maybe we should just appoint Lampard and Morris as managers and clean up the Chelsea academy each summer….  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

Yes, agree. Although realistically I still think the best we are going to get is an extension to the loan for another season with no option to recall/sell to anyone else before the end of that loan. Chelsea have all the cards here as he signed a 5 year contract with them recently and I’m not really sure what’s in it for them to sell to us now for what we would be prepared to pay.

How do you know what we are prepared to pay? The new owners may surprise us. 

Agree with you on extended loan which would be in everyone's interest except envious clubs. He is certainly not ready for a regular starting slot at Stamford Bridge but could be in a couple of years so Chelsea won't be in a hurry to sell him just yet. 

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Especially after reading the BBC article I think that after the present 1 year loan Broja will go back to Chelsea. He seems to have had a long affinity with the club and will have a chance to be at least on the subs bench there. The loan has let Chelsea see what he can do do in the Prem against top opposition and he has performed well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, M271 said:

Especially after reading the BBC article I think that after the present 1 year loan Broja will go back to Chelsea. He seems to have had a long affinity with the club and will have a chance to be at least on the subs bench there. The loan has let Chelsea see what he can do do in the Prem against top opposition and he has performed well.

Not sure how that fits with his family being keen for him to stay with us, there is also the chance he will get lost in the Chelsea black hole (maybe why his family are keen for him to stay). A couple of years with us going the way he is going maybe the best outcome for all parties.  Having said that I don't like these buy-back / first refusal clauses, feels like a lease deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

Not sure how that fits with his family being keen for him to stay with us, there is also the chance he will get lost in the Chelsea black hole (maybe why his family are keen for him to stay). A couple of years with us going the way he is going maybe the best outcome for all parties.  Having said that I don't like these buy-back / first refusal clauses, feels like a lease deal.

I don't see a problem with the buy-back/first refusal in our model to be honest. We may sell a tiny bit below going rates at the time of the buy back, but we'd still gain money from our initial outlay 2 years prior. (that's if the selling club are interested in having them back)

At the end of the day anyone decent we sign outright is here for 2 seasons max. Mane, VVD etc, so it probably doesn't make a huge difference.

With the buy back approach we put ourselves at the front of the queue in grabbing really good youngsters from the top clubs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Wouldn't want Jodie Morris anywhere near our club.

To be honest, it was said in jest.. I wouldn’t want either of them, but from what I’ve seen, he was the brains behind the organisation of the 2.. especially with the youngsters who he had worked with just before.