Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Just read that article, sounds like they're trying to setup a second year loan to me. I don't think Chelsea will want to sell as there's no rush, even after the end of a 2nd year loan he'll still have huge value, potentially worth even more than he is today. I could see him as a Lukaku replacement at that point or still a huge source of income if they decide to still sell. Chelsea are in the driving seat really, shame he had to sign that 5 year deal!

To be honest, another years loan and us getting two years out of him overall is pretty much the time anyone very good spends here anyway, so that would work for me.

I’ve always viewed buy back clauses as glorified loan deals anyway - can’t see us getting as good a margin as we did with Tino in that circumstance, as Chelsea hold more of the cards.

Think it will all come down to what Broja wants to do and how much he then wants to force that.

44 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Sounds quite feasible 😂

I think the family side is reasonably important. There is a large(ish) Albanian contingent in Southampton (might be relatives). What exactly are Chelsea offering by way of first team football? If it’s just a “come back and fight for first team football” that might sway things a little in our favour as he is guaranteed that with us. He maybe regretting signing that 5 year contract so recently as his trajectory is probably now rising quicker than he imagined and that in no small part is down to SFC (and obviously himself with the work he puts in).

anyway just my early sat morning musings.

14 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

No it isn't.

Livramento only had 1 year left of his Chelsea contract and didn't want to sign a new one. That left Saints in a strong position to get him relatively cheap with a big buy back clause.

Broja signed a 5 year contract a few weeks before he joined Saints on loan. That reduces the pressure on Chelsea to sell him cheaply.

You do know that there are ways of responding to peoples posts without sounding like an obnoxious fucking bellend right? 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Talker_CFC said:

I always liked Southampton, so I hope you will not be offended, but I am CFC fan and my perspective on the topic:

The situation is completely different from Tino - his contract was ending, so Chelsea was forced to sell, Broja has 4.5 more years of contract. This alone is completely changing the picture here, as Chelsea is not forced to do anything. Best case scenario - one more year on loan, becomes superstar and fights for position in team. Worst case scenario - he will be loaned for 3 more years and will be still sold for decent money.

So yeah, there is no reason to sell, unless there comes completely insane deal in a way of 25m to buy and 35m buyback. There is just no other reason to sell now, as the contract is so long. Other option is that Broja would decide one year after signing new contract to completely change his mind and decide he will not go back - hard to do with long-term contract here.

Thanks for your contribution.  I would view a purchase of Broja for 25m and a buy back of 35m after a stipulated length of time as tidy business for SFC.

52 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I think the family side is reasonably important. There is a large(ish) Albanian contingent in Southampton (might be relatives). What exactly are Chelsea offering by way of first team football? If it’s just a “come back and fight for first team football” that might sway things a little in our favour as he is guaranteed that with us. He maybe regretting signing that 5 year contract so recently as his trajectory is probably now rising quicker than he imagined and that in no small part is down to SFC (and obviously himself with the work he puts in).

anyway just my early sat morning musings.

Whilst it may not work out for us here, I think generally the big clubs youngster hoovering and in particular Chelsea's loan farming is coming back to bite them, it only took a few trail blazers like Sancho and more recently Tino to show pretty much every young player playing U23s football and getting the odd cup appearance that the grass is actual greener and their careers are better off moving to lower clubs than doing nothing at these big clubs. 

Whereas back in the years we had Ox, Bale, Walcott, Shaw etc. it seemed any youngster who came through wanted to move with barely a season under their belt, nice to see the players wanting to play not just take the biggest wage they can get. 

Plus it's very hard for a club like Chelsea to show they are going to give chances to these players when they spend £100 million, £50 million, etc. on players every year. I mean half the Chelsea youngsters they are using now are only in the team because they got their chance when they had a transfer ban or are getting chances now because they have covid/injury issues. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Talker_CFC said:

I always liked Southampton, so I hope you will not be offended, but I am CFC fan and my perspective on the topic:

The situation is completely different from Tino - his contract was ending, so Chelsea was forced to sell, Broja has 4.5 more years of contract. This alone is completely changing the picture here, as Chelsea is not forced to do anything. Best case scenario - one more year on loan, becomes superstar and fights for position in team. Worst case scenario - he will be loaned for 3 more years and will be still sold for decent money.

So yeah, there is no reason to sell, unless there comes completely insane deal in a way of 25m to buy and 35m buyback. There is just no other reason to sell now, as the contract is so long. Other option is that Broja would decide one year after signing new contract to completely change his mind and decide he will not go back - hard to do with long-term contract here.

Yes this is it in a nutshell, obviously with the long contract Chelsea hold all the cards and I can see no reason why they would want to sell now (or in the summer). Also as much as Broja might be enjoying it here I'm sure he fancies a crack at the Chelsea first team. I think the best we can hope for is a second season on loan. That said I would hope Saints are exploring every avenue to at least try and secure a permanent deal however unlikely it may seem, as if you don't ask you don't get!

2 hours ago, Maggie May said:

You must at least be a bit rattled by the rumours to then come onto a Saints forum 😉

Cheers for your input!

I am coming here more to check what is happening, I started mainly because of Tino, whom I liked a lot in youth team which I ocassionally watch, so I look out for interesting players on loan and who we sold just to be happy for them. :) Wasnt sure about Broja that much in youth team, but he keeps surprising me. 

Edited by Talker_CFC

if Broja came to us on a permanent deal, he'd get a new contract. I've no idea what his current deal is like, Chelsea pay massive wages, but maybe he could get a pay rise, which I'm sure he'd be happy with. Probably not a factor. 

1 hour ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Yes this is it in a nutshell, obviously with the long contract Chelsea hold all the cards and I can see no reason why they would want to sell now (or in the summer). Also as much as Broja might be enjoying it here I'm sure he fancies a crack at the Chelsea first team. I think the best we can hope for is a second season on loan. That said I would hope Saints are exploring every avenue to at least try and secure a permanent deal however unlikely it may seem, as if you don't ask you don't get!

Back to Chelsea next season, gets fuck all games and then we come back the following summer with an offer. We'll have to rely on Che and Armstrong for a season though (gulp).

23 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Since when was Broja possibly heading back to Chelsea a thing (snippet from Sky transfer feed)? I'm hoping they mean at the end of the season not in January!!

It was brought up weeks ago when Chelsea were bemoaning their lack of strikers and their "fans" were telling Tuchel that he ought to recall Broja. It is nothing new. As far as I understand it they cannot recall a loan without the permission of Saints (and Broja). I am just getting a bit concerned that we may have shown our hand too early this season and affected our chances of getting him long term or for another season without a significant impact on the price.

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Whilst it may not work out for us here, I think generally the big clubs youngster hoovering and in particular Chelsea's loan farming is coming back to bite them, it only took a few trail blazers like Sancho and more recently Tino to show pretty much every young player playing U23s football and getting the odd cup appearance that the grass is actual greener and their careers are better off moving to lower clubs than doing nothing at these big clubs. 

Whereas back in the years we had Ox, Bale, Walcott, Shaw etc. it seemed any youngster who came through wanted to move with barely a season under their belt, nice to see the players wanting to play not just take the biggest wage they can get. 

Plus it's very hard for a club like Chelsea to show they are going to give chances to these players when they spend £100 million, £50 million, etc. on players every year. I mean half the Chelsea youngsters they are using now are only in the team because they got their chance when they had a transfer ban or are getting chances now because they have covid/injury issues. 

This is something, that is happening, not just with Tino, but as well with other players - we lost Guehi (for decent price) to CP, Bate (who I rate a lot) to Leeds. I am a bit worried this might continue as there are quite a few talented players in youth team who did not sign new contracts and they might do the same move as Tino, Bate or Guehi. 

We keep players like Barkley on the bench and giving them playing time instead of promoting some youngster, who might do better job and might force their way into lineup. So yeah, a lot of opportunities, look out for Vale, Webster, Hall or maybe Soonsup-Bell, they are quite interesting players, who might impress similarly to those who you see. 

What I feel is that Hassenhutl is hurting a bit relationships with Chelsea with his talking and that might make you miss on some of these talents coming over, as no team really likes when somebody is trying hard to poach your talent on the loan after criticising him at the start of the season. 

1 minute ago, Talker_CFC said:

So yeah, a lot of opportunities, look out for Vale, Webster, Hall or maybe Soonsup-Bell, they are quite interesting players, who might impress similarly to those who you see. 

Webster is a family friend, who grew up north of Romsey.  A brilliant lad who I would love to see do a Tino and join us next season.

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Totally agree. 

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Plus it's very hard for a club like Chelsea to show they are going to give chances to these players 

whilst they routine have James, Mount and Chalobah in their starting line up? 

Edited by AlexLaw76

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

But as tajjuk states, their places in the side evolved because of the transfer ban they were under (Notably Mount, James, Abraham etc). Lampard gave them a chance as he couldn't buy anyone else.

Mount and james have taken their opportunities, but you could argue that their opportunity to stake a claim was because of an extreme situation in regards to their transfer ban.

I agree with the general point tajjuk makes re: the hoovering of talent, it's making players think twice and they can see options outside of waiting for an opportunity at a Chelsea etc. There are so many players at Chelsea who have wasted their careers just waiting for a chance, if they'd have moved earlier and played they may well have hit their potential.

Fakayo Tamori is another one who has moved on, clearly had the talent as he's at Milan. Things are shifting I think.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, southamptonfc said:

Not a chance that we'll sign Broja. I wish it wasn't true but he's too good. I think he would score goals, probably lots of goals at every level in any of the top 6 clubs.

We can't afford the transfer fee or the wages.

That's the spirit old chap, ever the optimist!

44 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

James and Mount got their opportunities because of Lampard and the transfer ban. 

Chalabah has broken through, but mainly because of injuries and covid etc. Plus he's 22, he's been there for like 6 years and has only got an opportunity this year. 

Tomori was home grown and doing well, he got shoved out on loan and they got a 36 year old in. Gimour had some great performances and they shoved him out on loan. Connor Gallacher has proven himself a good player but got shoved out on loan, so two good young centre-mids they decided to not use but than got Saul in on loan, who plays centre-mid.

They were forced to use young players because of the transfer ban, when they have had good players knocking on the door most of the time they have gone out and bought someone and sent those players on loan. 

• Like 2

Smart move from Ralph before today's game...

RH: "Hey, Armando, come here a sec... look, we need you to put in a few average peformances between now and the end of the month so that we can avoid your price tag going up on almost a daily basis before we sort out a deal with Chelsea"

AB: "No worries boss, leave it with me..."

;)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

RH: "Hey, Armando, come here a sec... look, we need you to put in a few average peformances between now and the end of the month so that we can avoid your price tag going up on almost a daily basis before we sort out a deal with Chelsea"

;)

Well he sure did a great job doing that today. Maybe he was asked to play like AA.

46 minutes ago, trousers said:

;)

You Know It Good Job GIF by Curious Pavel

• Haha 1

On 15/01/2022 at 11:18, Chez said:

if Broja came to us on a permanent deal, he'd get a new contract. I've no idea what his current deal is like, Chelsea pay massive wages, but maybe he could get a pay rise, which I'm sure he'd be happy with. Probably not a factor. 

Yeah that’s what I was saying.. as a youngster he’s probably not on huge amounts yet whilst we could make him close to a top earner 

its looking to me like there is something in this,, we usually go about our business quietly but seem to be pumping broja stories to the media on a daily basis..talking to his family etc ..

it’s starting to get exciting 😃

• Like 1

I think we'll get him on a permanent. Maybe wishful thinking maybe but a lot of the reports from our journos seem like the sort of things one wouldn't release unless you were fairly confident you had a chance. Chelsea don't need him imo with Lukaku, Havertz, and Werner and if they were to decide one of those wasnt up to it they'd probably look a bit higher than Broja to replace them.

Also I think a lot of those who think we won't are overrating him a bit. He is a firm £20-25m signing and I think with our current owners that might be doable. He isn't a £40m player, a CL player, or on the level of Werner, Havertz or Lukaku so I think we could probably get him.

At the very least I think extending the loan is very feasible.

38 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think we'll get him on a permanent. Maybe wishful thinking maybe but a lot of the reports from our journos seem like the sort of things one wouldn't release unless you were fairly confident you had a chance. Chelsea don't need him imo with Lukaku, Havertz, and Werner and if they were to decide one of those wasnt up to it they'd probably look a bit higher than Broja to replace them.

Also I think a lot of those who think we won't are overrating him a bit. He is a firm £20-25m signing and I think with our current owners that might be doable. He isn't a £40m player, a CL player, or on the level of Werner, Havertz or Lukaku so I think we could probably get him.

I think I'm on the level of Werner

34 minutes ago, maysie said:

I think I'm on the level of Werner

Werner is a strange one, I think another case of Chelsea buying a player who has done very well in a team playing a certain way and then not using him in the same role. (similar to Lukaku failing to live up to expectations)

I mean he was better than 1 in 2 in the Bundesliga for Leipzig and is close to 1 in 2 for Germany so there is a very good player there, but just hasn't worked out at Chelsea. 

I mean if Chelsea wanted to get rid of him and cut their losses, a player I think would do really well in our system and excelled under Ralph previously but wages/fee might be prohibitive. 

1 hour ago, TWar said:

My worry is Lukaku being out of sorts.

Hope your right though.

3 hours ago, TWar said:

A lot (all) of the reports from 'our journos' are based on Ralph's quotes from the press conferences.

I think its pretty obvious Saints would like to keep him longer, and in order to do that we would need to speak to Chelsea. Both of those are things Ralph has confirmed and what the journos have reported.

The things nobody has reported which are largely unknown yet extremely important:

- do Chelsea have any intention of selling him?

- for what price/terms?

- does Broja want to leave Chelsea when he probably has a great shot of being in their squad next season? Find his interview from 2yrs ago when he signed his first pro deal and he says he has suported and played for Chelsea since he was a kid and loves the club. Why throw away a chance at playing for them when you finally get close to it?

- which other teams would match Saints offer (probably at least 4 or 5 PL clubs) and would Broja want to join Saints over others?

As I have said before, from Broja's perspective and Chelsea's perspective I don't see why they would rush to a permanent move at this point, it doesnt really make sense for either party.

Ralph's continual comments about Ings being happy and wanting to stay also spring to mind when seemingly he had no intention to. Not saying he lies but wouldn't particularly trust manager comments in the press as they are always working to an agenda even if its not always obvious what that is. 

Entirely possible Broja is very happy here and his family are no doubt pleased he is doing well. But that doesn't necessarily equal him wanting to join on a permanent deal right now.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

A lot (all) of the reports from 'our journos' are based on Ralph's quotes from the press conferences.

I think its pretty obvious Saints would like to keep him longer, and in order to do that we would need to speak to Chelsea. Both of those are things Ralph has confirmed and what the journos have reported.

The things nobody has reported which are largely unknown yet extremely important:

- do Chelsea have any intention of selling him?

- for what price/terms?

- does Broja want to leave Chelsea when he probably has a great shot of being in their squad next season? Find his interview from 2yrs ago when he signed his first pro deal and he says he has suported and played for Chelsea since he was a kid and loves the club. Why throw away a chance at playing for them when you finally get close to it?

- which other teams would match Saints offer (probably at least 4 or 5 PL clubs) and would Broja want to join Saints over others?

As I have said before, from Broja's perspective and Chelsea's perspective I don't see why they would rush to a permanent move at this point, it doesnt really make sense for either party.

Ralph's continual comments about Ings being happy and wanting to stay also spring to mind when seemingly he had no intention to. Not saying he lies but wouldn't particularly trust manager comments in the press as they are always working to an agenda even if its not always obvious what that is. 

Entirely possible Broja is very happy here and his family are no doubt pleased he is doing well. But that doesn't necessarily equal him wanting to join on a permanent deal right now.

Could quite easily be sat thinking,  I like the manager and I’m happy playing here for a couple of years plus I get to double my money at saints. Also if I continue to develop then I’m 2 years I choose any of the top 6 clubs.

the alternativE is go back to chelsea next season to fight for a chance. It may not work out as he is young and there would be more pressure to perform plus lack of game time may slow his development etc etc. 

just as easy to soin that type of scenario and he maybe tempted by guaranteed football at the top level.

1 minute ago, wild-saint said:

Could quite easily be sat thinking,  I like the manager and I’m happy playing here for a couple of years plus I get to double my money at saints. Also if I continue to develop then I’m 2 years I choose any of the top 6 clubs.

the alternativE is go back to chelsea next season to fight for a chance. It may not work out as he is young and there would be more pressure to perform plus lack of game time may slow his development etc etc. 

just as easy to soin that type of scenario and he maybe tempted by guaranteed football at the top level.

Problem is if Chelsea promise him a loan to a europa league club on the continent he might feel it a better place to prove himself further while also raising his value which helps Chelsea.

Another loan spell at Southampton unlikely for Broja beyond the summer

Armando Broja has established himself as one of Southampton’s most important players since he joined on a season-long loan from Chelsea in the summer, writes Dan Sheldon.

The striker has scored five Premier League goals in 17 appearances, of which only nine have been starts, making him Ralph Hasenhuttl’s second top league scorer behind James Ward-Prowse (six goals).

Hasenhuttl said on Thursday that talks are taking place between Martin Semmens, Southampton’s club’s chief executive, and Marina Granovskaia at Chelsea over Broja’s future.

Although Southampton’s supporters are desperate for the 20-year-old to stay beyond the end of this season, The Athletic is led to believe that another loan move is unlikely. As it stands, the most probable outcome is Broja leaves on a permanent transfer in the summer or fights for a starting spot at Chelsea.

Broja is thought to be enjoying his time at Southampton and has developed a good relationship with Hasenhuttl, which puts them in a good position if they are willing to jump over the required hurdles and push hard to prise him away from Chelsea.

Edited by SuperSAINT

27 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Another loan spell at Southampton unlikely for Broja beyond the summer

Armando Broja has established himself as one of Southampton’s most important players since he joined on a season-long loan from Chelsea in the summer, writes Dan Sheldon.

The striker has scored five Premier League goals in 17 appearances, of which only nine have been starts, making him Ralph Hasenhuttl’s second top league scorer behind James Ward-Prowse (six goals).

Hasenhuttl said on Thursday that talks are taking place between Martin Semmens, Southampton’s club’s chief executive, and Marina Granovskaia at Chelsea over Broja’s future.

Although Southampton’s supporters are desperate for the 20-year-old to stay beyond the end of this season, The Athletic is led to believe that another loan move is unlikely. As it stands, the most probable outcome is Broja leaves on a permanent transfer in the summer or fights for a starting spot at Chelsea.

Broja is thought to be enjoying his time at Southampton and has developed a good relationship with Hasenhuttl, which puts them in a good position if they are willing to jump over the required hurdles and push hard to prise him away from Chelsea.

Sounds promising. I don't think fighting for a chance at Chelsea would be good for him when he'd be like 5th in the pecking order behind Lukaku, havertz, werner, and pulisic who has also played up top at times.

Sounds like Chelsea smell the immediate $$ to be honest. That's probably us out of the equation if they won't re-loan him, I think Chelsea would demand way more than we can get to. We might try, but I'm not sure it's realistic. A loan was the most realistic shout for us.

• Like 2

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Sounds like Chelsea smell the immediate $$ to be honest. That's probably us out of the equation if they won't re-loan him, I think Chelsea would demand way more than we can get to. We might try, but I'm not sure it's realistic. A loan was the most realistic shout for us.

Chelsea will sit with their cigar out until the summer.  It’s the smart thing to do.

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we just don't know what the new ownership plan in terms of cash investment for players. Its clear that our situation has altered / improved but to what extent we are yet to find out. It's too soon to judge either way. I would imagine Brojas sale price will be 20-25m, although Chelsea might start higher, and I would expect us to meet that. If not, nothing will of changed significantly. Not that I am expecting 3 or 4 players in that price bracket every window but one, yes. The better we get at getting the Livramento type deals the more there should be for one or two like Broja, more expensive but still young with bags of potential.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Chelsea will sit with their cigar out until the summer.  It’s the smart thing to do.

Depends if Broja keeps going. He is in the form of his life right now, if he dips a bit in the second half of the season then our thirst for him might decrease and value might drop.

His values only going to go up going off what we’re seeing now, if we spend 20-25 million on him now then we’ll be better off then spending 30 million in the summer. We can’t keep scrimping on our forwards because it’ll catch up with us and if the new owners are willing we should splash out imo.

On 15/01/2022 at 14:18, tajjuk said:

James and Mount got their opportunities because of Lampard and the transfer ban. 

Chalabah has broken through, but mainly because of injuries and covid etc. Plus he's 22, he's been there for like 6 years and has only got an opportunity this year. 

Tomori was home grown and doing well, he got shoved out on loan and they got a 36 year old in. Gimour had some great performances and they shoved him out on loan. Connor Gallacher has proven himself a good player but got shoved out on loan, so two good young centre-mids they decided to not use but than got Saul in on loan, who plays centre-mid.

They were forced to use young players because of the transfer ban, when they have had good players knocking on the door most of the time they have gone out and bought someone and sent those players on loan. 

I personally think this massively mis reads the situation because it’s the here and now that’s important and sadly it about clubs expectations

Currently in Chelsea’s squad there  are probably as many if not more academy products than at most clubs.

Christensen, Chalbaoh, James,  Hudson Odi,  Loftus Cheek, Mount, are regular starters that’s six.  Historically they had one Terry.

For whatever reason their players have now a pathway and that won’t have gone un noticed by youngsters many of who are happy to sign  long term contracts probably because they know what their clubs plans are for them. Others won’t sign long term contracts and will look elsewhere to try and kick start their careers.Sadly  many won’t have a long term commitment at clubs they go to and if you look at Brighton with Lamptey he will be off as soon as he gets an offer as sadly I suspect will Tino continues with his upward trajectory  if that happens a significant wedge will end back at Chelsea.

If you look at it objectively Chelsea have two loan models.
Firstly it’s the players that they paid money for but those, usually big money signings, have bombed. So Chelsea happily loan them to other reasonably high ranked team often they very cleverly sell at a later date  often for a value that is equal to or close to their amortised value.So in accounting terms no loss

Then you have their academy players.

Just like every academy the vast majority of Chelsea academy youngsters  won’t get a senior contract so they simply are cast adrift. I read the other day that the average number at PL academies  that fall into this is 97%

There are others that the clubs see progress but they aren’t at a decent level so they will start off getting a lower league loan and progressively stepping up the standard .

Ironically Gallagher falls into that category. He has been on loan at Charlton, Swansea and now at the Palace he like Broja wont be sold until that have now been tested back at Chelsea.

I suspect the powers that be at Southampton know that anything other than a stupid stupid offer probably north of £40 million won’t convince them to sale and to be honest I would be staggered if a bid north of £15 million would be sanctioned

Then you have the gems who they know have stardust in their boots. Broja and I suspect Gilmour fall into this category.

The maddest part in all this that going forward the supposed changes to the numbers and  type of players you can send out on loan won’t massively impact in terms of loaning academy players but some mid to lower ranked clubs won’t be borrowing senior players from the real 

On 15/01/2022 at 08:08, Talker_CFC said:

So yeah, there is no reason to sell, unless there comes completely insane deal in a way of 25m to buy and 35m buyback. 

Something like that will probably be a decent deal for both clubs. If he realises his potential Saints get a top striker for a few years, Chelsea get the finished product for peanuts.

Also, though Chelsea obviously don't have to sell, don't they have financial fair play rules to stick to?  

Edited by aintforever

19 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Werner is a strange one, I think another case of Chelsea buying a player who has done very well in a team playing a certain way and then not using him in the same role. (similar to Lukaku failing to live up to expectations)

I mean he was better than 1 in 2 in the Bundesliga for Leipzig and is close to 1 in 2 for Germany so there is a very good player there, but just hasn't worked out at Chelsea. 

I mean if Chelsea wanted to get rid of him and cut their losses, a player I think would do really well in our system and excelled under Ralph previously but wages/fee might be prohibitive. 

I am not saying you are wrong about how they have used him, he was certainly pushed out wide far too quickly, but the long and short of it is, when he has had decent goalscoring opportunities, and there have been quite a lot, on the whole, he just has not taken them.  A lot of that is down confidence, which seemed to go pretty quickly. There have been a few spells when he looked like he was back on his game, but not many. Get the fully confident Werner and you'll get that one in two striker. 

That might require a move as he wasn't exactly given a second chance, in the form of a long run of games down the middle when Lukaku was injured. However, someone that signs for Chelsea for £48m won't be on wages that we could afford, probably even if they paid half!

Edited by Chez

I could see us spending £25m now we have the new owners. Not because they're going to splash the cash generally but because there looks like a good chance we'd get our money back from Broja with interest in a few years. 

It's about finding value in the transfer market. There may be value in an expensive player if we feel they are likely to see their price increase in the future

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

My big concern about trying to get Broja on a permanent is that Chelsea and Lukaku are going to part ways sooner rather than later. 
He’s shown dissent already and Tuchel will want rid. 
they would be fools not to give Broja an opportunity. 
homegrown talent who at present is their commodity with an abundance of talent now and will only get better. 
I will cling to the hope that Chelsea prove to be foolish. 

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

My big concern about trying to get Broja on a permanent is that Chelsea and Lukaku are going to part ways sooner rather than later. 
homegrown talent who at present is their commodity with an abundance of talent now and will only get better. 

I suspect Chelsea will just spend £75 on the next striker.  

Not sure someone who has scored 7 goals will cut it for them

Just now, saint lard said:

That's the only hope I have, and to be fair they have exceptional form at being foolish with players.

De Bruyne and Salah being two that stick out like a sore thumb. They were daft with Lukaku first time round too.

• Like 1