Man City 0-0 Saints - Match Thread

Pilchards

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

So what. A better selection and we win 1-0.

Or lose 3-0 - who knows - our game plan was extremely effective - they didnt have a shot on target until the 90th min.

Im very happy with this, thought we were excellent, and got the team and tactics right.

I get the feeling if we had won 1-0 you’d be saying it could have been 2-0 with a ‘better selection’ and I’m not even sure i know what that means with the how we played, it would literally only be subjective.

• Like 4

How many of us were convinced that extra time VAR decision was going to go against us and rob us?

So glad we got a draw, the effort from everyone deserved a win. 

Only disappointment was we didn't go for goal and the chance to beat them with that free kick on the edge of the box instead of playing for time and pushing it into the corner.

• Like 1

I hope the Etihad was full to bursting with City fans expecting a cushy 3 points and not having to move out of second gear in order to get them. Memo to Pep: The Saints didn't read that script. Neither of the Manchester teams have beaten us so far this season and there won't be a lot of clubs who will be able to say that. Well done lads and Ralph.

8 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That’s a seriously good result and something to build on. When you’re building a team you start from the back and then once you’ve established that platform you try to be more adventurous.

This. 👍. It's only the second time in 40 home games City have been stopped from scoring. That's a result.

Edited by Shroppie
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

On the Walker penalty/red card, just seen this on the Beeb write up

"Armstrong had burst into the box after City had again given the ball away cheaply but, despite being first to the ball he was adjudged to have fouled Walker as the City defender attempted a challenge."

So Armstrong fouled Walker?!?!

I'm going to have to watch this again..

There is absolutely no way Armstrong fouled Walker - that is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Broja got Player of the Match on the BBC, he only came on half way through the second half and I didn't seem to remember seeing him mentioned on here during the match. For those that watched what did he do to deserve such a high player score was he impressive again?

Brilliant defensive performance. Ralph has clearly had a major impact over the summer and we look a well drilled effort, so fair play to him.

The penalty incident - at the time, I didn't think it was a penalty, so was very surprised (but elated) to see it given. The replays showed it wasn't a foul, it was a coming together in my view. The defender has the right to try to compete and I'd have been disappointed had that been given against us. The right decision was made, eventually.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

This. 👍. It's only the second time in 40 home games City have been stopped from scoring. That's a result.

that's quite a stat. Everyone involved should be proud of that. Now we need to refocus, reconfigure and attack the next game with as much vigour.  We also need to start breaking with a little more intent and ruthlessness. Maybe we don't quite have that pace and quality up front, but our forwards need to do a little more. 

Just now, Baird of the land said:

No, he was just ok.

If the BBC seriously gave Broia man of the mach you have to wonder about their football expertise. There were many more deserving of the award not least Romeu who gave the perfect holding midfield play and barely wasted a ball or miscontrolled a pass whilst constantly breaking up City as they attempted to get up a head of steam. That was as good a display as you will see from someone in his position.

7 minutes ago, M271 said:

Broja got Player of the Match on the BBC, he only came on half way through the second half and I didn't seem to remember seeing him mentioned on here during the match. For those that watched what did he do to deserve such a high player score was he impressive again?

nothing.  he didn't hold the ball up terribly well. 

14 minutes ago, M271 said:

He's a Chelsea player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

nothing.  he didn't hold the ball up terribly well. 

I don't know how BBC work out the players scores, seems flawed though as the scores given doesn't coincide with the views on here from people who saw the match. They have Romeu as 6th best for Saints as an example.

My 500th post, it's only taken me 12 and a half years to get there!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

If the BBC seriously gave Broia man of the mach you have to wonder about their football expertise. There were many more deserving of the award not least Romeu who gave the perfect holding midfield play and barely wasted a ball or miscontrolled a pass whilst constantly breaking up City as they attempted to get up a head of steam. That was as good a display as you will see from someone in his position.

I think their MoM is based on viewer voting, not on any "expert" opinion, although having Broja MoM does sound more like something concocted between Lawro and Garth Crooks.

22 minutes ago, M271 said:

15 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Their Motm is based on votes by website users and as he's a Chelsea player they probably skewed it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Romeu was mom

Was close for me between him and Salisu. 

So good though to see him back. He has such a calm assurance about his play, and he's a hard, fearless bastard.

There was moment in the final 10 when he passed it out to (I think) Redders on the wing who was headed for defenders, so probably trouble. Rom moved right out to the touchline to give Redmond a way out (which he needed!), and then threaded the ball through the defenders in front of Redmond, then ran at the area to give Redmond the option to pass back to him again (which he needed!). He thinks ahead and seems to have a really impressive instinct.

Salisu might be from a similar mould. His instinct, combined with athleticism, appears to get him in the right positions. He's also brave - and skilful - enough to dive in with last ditch tackles, interceptions and off the line headers. I said it after his first game in February, and I'll say it again now, we've got ourselves a real bargain there.

I also want to mention how impressed I was with KWP, playing out of position. I think we've got three really good full backs and his versatility means we can play any two of them without much worry.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

that's quite a stat. Everyone involved should be proud of that. Now we need to refocus, reconfigure and attack the next game with as much vigour.  We also need to start breaking with a little more intent and ruthlessness. Maybe we don't quite have that pace and quality up front, but our forwards need to do a little more. 

Also first and only shot on target was 90th minute

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, M271 said:

I never look at those things as Arsenal fans and others rig such stupid polls and they mean absolutely nothing. Sounds like the Broja ratings just backs up why not worth looking.

38 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Brilliant defensive performance. Ralph has clearly had a major impact over the summer and we look a well drilled effort, so fair play to him.

The penalty incident - at the time, I didn't think it was a penalty, so was very surprised (but elated) to see it given. The replays showed it wasn't a foul, it was a coming together in my view. The defender has the right to try to compete and I'd have been disappointed had that been given against us. The right decision was made, eventually.

Most on here seem to think it was more blatant than this one below but boohoo big 6 sob sob, conspiracy, VAR rarara

• Haha 1

Just back from the game, Fantastic performance. Some really good players on show. Did not look like hundreds of millions of pounds between the teams.

Really good down the wings but seeing Armstrong in the flesh is disappointing. Id rather have Brett Ormerod to be honest.

Broja is a unit and when he came on you could tell he is a step up. If he scores goals he’s a £50 million striker.

The real reason City didn’t win is they don’t have a Striker. Lots of side to side when they get into the box but they didn’t have it. They miss Aguero badly.

Thought Stephens looked good and gives a bit to the oppo team. Just the kind of disrespect our players need.

Have to say Ralph is the right man for the job. Got the  team selection just right. Redmond gets a lot of stick but up close you could see his experience and you could tell he is playing the way the manager wants. A really well drilled performance and a lot of compliments from city fans on the way back.

Got fucked off with a bunch of our retarded fans who thought it was more fun to goad opposing fans than watch the game and support the team. Some of the stuff they came out with was embarrassing.

Also in the dying minutes some really good shithousery and time wasting and some of our fans got on the teams back. 

All in all, really good performance and a draw a fair result.

shoutout to the City stewards and staff. Really chilled people and a good laugh. Balti Pie good , not as good as Burnley’s but pretty good anyway and at £4.50 it needed to be.

• Like 8

It seems we've stemmed the goals and chances against which was the priority. The next stage will be to balance that defensive stability against the need to be more offensive, create chances and score more goals. The defence had to be sorted it's now just a question of whether we can get bodies forward in numbers and pick the right passes/options so we score more goals. If we can achieve that we'll have some side.

36 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I was very wrong before the game. Excellent performance. Brilliant defensively and we had a go at them.

Romeu & All if the defence were superb.

Me too. Very surprised to see Salisu left out although he did play a large part in the end. Thought we’d be the next lambs to the slaughter but very pleased with the result and performance. Am I right in saying under the double jeopardy rule Walker wouldn’t have been sent off if we’d got a penalty? Although it appears to be a terrible (again) bit do VAR against us I’m not convinced we’d have held onto a lead against them anyway. 

• Like 1

Who would have thought we'd play 3 sides in Man U, West Ham and City at a time they were banging in goals for fun and let in just one goal and restrict their shots on target to a bare minimum. That's a serious turn around from how our defence was performing so fair play to Ralph, the coaches and the players.

• Like 4

Watched it in the City end as I was given a ticket. Very quiet fans for most of the match- because we kept them quiet. Quick to the ball, tidy with it, just lacked the cutting edge when clean through. And not wanting to add to the Redmond pile-on he was as guilty as any when through in the first half. OR motm, but lots of 8/10 performances  

32 minutes ago, doc oli said:

Watched it in the City end as I was given a ticket. Very quiet fans for most of the match- because we kept them quiet. Quick to the ball, tidy with it, just lacked the cutting edge when clean through. And not wanting to add to the Redmond pile-on he was as guilty as any when through in the first half. OR motm, but lots of 8/10 performances  

Ha the BBC report reckons they were noisy throughout. Maybe you were in their Chapel end. 😉

Didn't hear much from our fans tbh.

13 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Ha the BBC report reckons they were noisy throughout. Maybe you were in their Chapel end. 😉

Didn't hear much from our fans tbh.

Our fans were quite good. Few  young scroats who should really not be allowed by themselves though. 
Mostly good atmosphere helped obviously by the performance.

3 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Our fans were quite good. Few  young scroats who should really not be allowed by themselves though. 
Mostly good atmosphere helped obviously by the performance.

I did at one stage think as fans we were lining ourselves up for a huge fall. But in the end it was good. One fan stood on his seat for most the game and was giving it large. Don’t think he watched any of the game. He gave it all to them though! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Just back from the game, Fantastic performance. Some really good players on show. Did not look like hundreds of millions of pounds between the teams.

Really good down the wings but seeing Armstrong in the flesh is disappointing. Id rather have Brett Ormerod to be honest.

Broja is a unit and when he came on you could tell he is a step up. If he scores goals he’s a £50 million striker.

The real reason City didn’t win is they don’t have a Striker. Lots of side to side when they get into the box but they didn’t have it. They miss Aguero badly.

Thought Stephens looked good and gives a bit to the oppo team. Just the kind of disrespect our players need.

Have to say Ralph is the right man for the job. Got the  team selection just right. Redmond gets a lot of stick but up close you could see his experience and you could tell he is playing the way the manager wants. A really well drilled performance and a lot of compliments from city fans on the way back.

Got fucked off with a bunch of our retarded fans who thought it was more fun to goad opposing fans than watch the game and support the team. Some of the stuff they came out with was embarrassing.

Also in the dying minutes some really good shithousery and time wasting and some of our fans got on the teams back. 

All in all, really good performance and a draw a fair result.

shoutout to the City stewards and staff. Really chilled people and a good laugh. Balti Pie good , not as good as Burnley’s but pretty good anyway and at £4.50 it needed to be.

That’s a proper match report right there 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

City supporting mate sent me this message at full time. 

Mate, that was as bad as we have played since Stuart Pearce days, collectively. Truly abysmal. However, you were excellent, defended very well & with a decent striker would have been easy winner's. Well done Saints.

We're back to opposing teams/fans thinking they just played badly against us when actually we stifled them with our system 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

We're back to opposing teams/fans thinking they just played badly against us when actually we stifled them with our system 

Agree, there is true old saying you have to play what is in front of you, we were excellent and completely disrupted their game, Ralph just might know a bit more about this game than some on here think.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, moonraker said:

Agree, there is true old saying you have to play what is in front of you, we were excellent and completely disrupted their game, Ralph just might know a bit more about this game than some on here think.

It happens every week when we're on one of our good runs. "Credit to Southampton but City/United/other played really poorly". Yes there was a reason that they played poorly, we made them.

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 4

First class team performance and great result, well done Ralph for getting your tactics right and bamboozling Guardiola. Now let's do the same every week.

Romeu excelled today and was a class above. What a star! 

The other big success story was Elyonoussi who brought intelligence and creative insight to our attacking midfield. As he gets more game time the more his underlying qualities emerge. He is not a spectacular high energy player but is quietly efficient, popping up in all the right places and creating chances for others that would be seized upon by half decent strikers. Big shout our for KWP who bossed the defensive left side third and still found time and space to run the line and get in some decent crosses.

On what planet was that not a clear penalty and red card. The ref should have stuck to his guns. Judging by the number of times he had to watch the re-wind the benefit of any doubt should have gone to the attacker. We were cheated out of a win which would have been fully deserved.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

On what planet was that not a clear penalty and red card. The ref should have stuck to his guns. Judging by the number of times he had to watch the re-wind the benefit of any doubt should have gone to the attacker. We were cheated out of a win which would have been fully deserved.

Think it was probably reasonable to rescind the red card. But not the pen. Red card is discretionary these days if I understand correctly.

• Like 2