Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

59 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

That's a clever remark, but WG has a point - how do you know anyone we have signed is going to be better than we have? None of them have even played in the prem let alone proven themselves

Not proven in the PL but more than proven at the level they have played at. Not sure what else they can do until they get the opportunity to play in the PL?

13 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

My reply wasn't meant as a compliment as I'm sure you're aware. I'm aware of the arguments you set out (even if you take far too many words to make them). I was pointing out that Wade has a point and your remark was unnecessarily dismissive. 

Oh well. 

I think what marks out the players we have bought is not just how young they are but also their pace and physicality. One thing the top sides buy is experience, a high level of skill allied to pace, and it seems we are getting some of those elements in our purchases, although obviously not the experience and accompanying decision making!

My cautious optimism is partly because it's better for you than the Eeyore negativity some display on forums such as these. None of the players will be the finished article and we have to accept that. Broja had a physicality which beat CBs on the ground but curiously not so well in the air, Livramento's positional play was sometimes lacking and so it goes, but I was happy to have both of them last season.

Some people express opinions like insurance bets: they don't want to win them but they ease the pain of losing, so let's not take opinions expressed on here too seriously!

• Like 4

Like many here I initially completely dismissed the idea of us moving for Broja at a price of £35m-£40m, but thinking about it a little more I'm not so sure.

SR's ethos is to buy young, develop, sell at a profit. If they forked out £35m for Broja and he becomes the player many of us think he has the potential to be, we could realistically be looking at anything from £50m-£75m in two or three years time. Which is a perfect fit for the model, no? It's a bigger gamble, of course, but having already forked out over £50m this window, SR is clearly not afraid to spend and gamble on returns.

I dunno, perhaps I'm being daft?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

I suspect we will be probably starting off the season with more or less the team that finished last season, I can't see Ralph risking a wholesale change straight away. 

Why would it be a risk to change the starting XI that was in terrible form at the end of the season?

I'd be surprised if Bazunu and Aribo didn't start vs Spurs. Also wouldn't rule out Bella-Kotchap and Lavia either.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why would it be a risk to change the starting XI that was in terrible form at the end of the season?

I'd be surprised if Bazunu and Aribo didn't start vs Spurs. Also wouldn't rule out Bella-Kotchap and Lavia either.

Why do most of your posts start with the word” why”?

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I agree, but not sure Ralph will.

56 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Like many here I initially completely dismissed the idea of us moving for Broja at a price of £35m-£40m, but thinking about it a little more I'm not so sure.

SR's ethos is to buy young, develop, sell at a profit. If they forked out £35m for Broja and he becomes the player many of us think he has the potential to be, we could realistically be looking at anything from £50m-£75m in two or three years time. Which is a perfect fit for the model, no? It's a bigger gamble, of course, but having already forked out over £50m this window, SR is clearly not afraid to spend and gamble on returns.

I dunno, perhaps I'm being daft?

If a player like Scamacca is going for 30m plus add ons, Broja should be significantly cheaper than that. I'd go no higher than 20m before looking elsewhere. For 30m+ you should've had at least one season in double figures in a top-tier league.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

If a player like Scamacca is going for 30m plus add ons, Broja should be significantly cheaper than that. I'd go no higher than 20m before looking elsewhere. For 30m+ you should've had at least one season in double figures in a top-tier league.

But then the flip side is that if the likes of Carillo was going for 20 million or whatever he cost then you'd expect Broja to be significantly more expensive. 

2 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Scamacca looks annoyingly good. Some great finishes last season and a bit of a beast physically.

He'll be like most Italians who come over here - in six months he'll be sulking about the weather, the physicality of the league, and pining for his mum's cooking. 

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

But then the flip side is that if the likes of Carillo was going for 20 million or whatever he cost then you'd expect Broja to be significantly more expensive. 

Carillo was a 5m player all day long. How we ended up paying 4x that is still among the biggest mysteries of my thirty+ years following saints. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

He'll be like most Italians who come over here - in six months he'll be sulking about the weather, the physicality of the league, and pining for his mum's cooking. 

Not many have been successes you’re right. Pound for pound Pelle probably has to be one of the most successful Italian strikers in the PL 

26 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Carillo was a 5m player all day long. How we ended up paying 4x that is still among the biggest mysteries of my thirty+ years following saints. 

Right and if this West Ham striker is as good as claimed then he's probably worth a lot more than they are paying. 

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Right and if this West Ham striker is as good as claimed then he's probably worth a lot more than they are paying. 

It’s worth remembering that prices for players are based on the potential value of the player, the length of contract remaining and also  the finances of the selling club as well as the desperation of the buying club. 
In that context it’s hard to compare the differences between what players go for. Carillo was obviously over priced but we bought him in January when we were staring at relegation. Basically Monaco saw us coming and Les Read got mugged off. I would say using Carillo as a comparison for any other transfer is flawed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

It’s worth remembering that prices for players are based on the potential value of the player, the length of contract remaining and also  the finances of the selling club as well as the desperation of the buying club. 
In that context it’s hard to compare the differences between what players go for. Carillo was obviously over priced but we bought him in January when we were staring at relegation. Basically Monaco saw us coming and Les Read got mugged off. I would say using Carillo as a comparison for any other transfer is flawed.

And West Ham is currently a much more attractive proposition for a player so we would likely have to pay a higher premium to attract players of a similar pedigree. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

And West Ham is currently a much more attractive proposition for a player so we would likely have to pay a higher premium to attract players of a similar pedigree. 

Well you might have to pay the player more but the selling club wouldn’t give a toss.

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Well you might have to pay the player more but the selling club wouldn’t give a toss.

The point is you can find cheap and expensive players for the same position all over the place. Using one transfer to West Ham and then saying that proves that Broja would be too much is pretty silly really. All a bit moot though as we won't be signing him anyway imo. 

8 hours ago, suewhistle said:

I think what marks out the players we have bought is not just how young they are but also their pace and physicality. One thing the top sides buy is experience, a high level of skill allied to pace, and it seems we are getting some of those elements in our purchases, although obviously not the experience and accompanying decision making!

My cautious optimism is partly because it's better for you than the Eeyore negativity some display on forums such as these. None of the players will be the finished article and we have to accept that. Broja had a physicality which beat CBs on the ground but curiously not so well in the air, Livramento's positional play was sometimes lacking and so it goes, but I was happy to have both of them last season.

Some people express opinions like insurance bets: they don't want to win them but they ease the pain of losing, so let's not take opinions expressed on here too seriously!

The main point I make from experience I am 76 years old is that experience does count especially with footballers.

Take JWP he is now our best player but 5 years ago he probably was not but he has improved year by year which hopefully will happen to the young players we have just bought

But there is no guarantee for that 

Getting a team with lots of young players is a risk which the club wants to take but I have no idea of what they want for the club next season and whether that meets the fans needs 

I do not go to games now but when I did go regularly and was a season ticket holder we had some top class attacking  players and I watched some great games and there was little continual moaning about the club

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Could be right about goalkeeper.  A few Pompey lads I know reckon he’s brilliant.  Forster was good last season as well though.

Not sure about anywhere else though.

Forster had a couple great games, but he was still capable of a howler (wolves, Burnley).

I think we will look back at Bazanu being a steal in years to come.

Edited by SaintBitterne
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

I suspect we will be probably starting off the season with more or less the team that finished last season, I can't see Ralph risking a wholesale change straight away. 

Tbf he chucked Livramento in first game last year with no senior appearances behind him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Scamacca looks annoyingly good. Some great finishes last season and a bit of a beast physically.

Sure does. Big strong lad, with good feet and can finish. Exactly what you need leading the line.

30 minutes ago, SaintBitterne said:

Forster had a couple great games, but he was still capable of a howler (wolves, Burnley).

I think we will look back at Bazanu being a still in years to come.

If the only change to the starting eleven is in goal, I will be concerned. Bazanu would likely have made no difference to the result of any of the games in the run in. Nearly all the goals conceded were 'unsavable'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me:

4 more in apparently. FB cover + Striker, and then CB and #10 depending on whether we can shift a few.  3-6 have been told they can go. Allegedly, Bednarek and Diallo have been told they're wanted by Saints. Valery also likely to stay as cover.

My guess would be Smallbone & Simeu (loan).  Walcott, Stephens, and one or two of Redmond/Djenepo/Elyounoussi. 

Broja not dead, but Chelsea dicking Saints around, and have been all summer. Broja + family still want him to come to Saints.  Time for us to move on I think.

So have we been in a lot of talks re broja..??

all you hear in the media was West Ham and they were quite aggressive ..

if we are in for him West Ham out of The race is fantastic news seems broja definitely wants minutes so he may ramp up the pressure on Chelsea

40 minutes ago, Chez said:

If the only change to the starting eleven is in goal, I will be concerned. Bazanu would likely have made no difference to the result of any of the games in the run in. Nearly all the goals conceded were 'unsavable'.

What I'm looking for with the keeper change is a huge improvement with distribution.  So often last season we encouraged teams to pressure us with poor keeper passes. 

I also hope the new coaching set up will help, we showed our players can be OK at times last season. 

Romeo Lavia looks to add in CDM, when Romeu lost form we were awful, so although it would be optimistic to expect a consistent full season from such a young player, I hope we see better options for rotation, substitutions, formation. 

Our AM were weak, so Aribo, hopefully plus another surely is an improvement. 

Also I don't think the signings are finished yet. 

I think we will be an improvement on last season. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Not many have been successes you’re right. Pound for pound Pelle probably has to be one of the most successful Italian strikers in the PL 

I loved Pelle, but these article's are all big club biased

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1662546

https://ftblcult.com/england/best-italian-players-in-premier-league-history/

https://www.colossusbets.com/blog/best-italian-players-in-premier-league-history/

last link has 5 worst and we obviously get a mention - Taibi / Le Tiss

heres the full list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Premier_League_players#Italy

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Please no ffs

Relying on two kids with next to no first team games is suicidal. And before MLG brings up Broja and Tino, I'll just ask how the second half of their seasons went...

Edited by SambaMaverick
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

Unbelievably forgot about Di Canio and Vialli as well. Balotelli is only there because he played for two big clubs and Maccarone is a joke, he cost £8m, big money at the time and was hailed as being a the next star of Italian football and he was rubbish. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

This guy is so well connected that this is very likely to be true, which would suggest we're not looking to buy an 'experienced' striker. If we were to land Delap, I wonder if there would be any attempt to loan out AA and loan in an experienced striker?

My thought would be to loan Pukki from Norwich, with AA going the other way. Pukki has done well in his two PL seasons and, at 32, would probably relish the chance at not waiting another year to see if Norwich go up again. Meanwhile Norwich get a Championship-proven striker and AA gets the chance to regain confidence & the scoring habit. Not that much risk to Saints in terms of either loan, and if Mara and/or Delap develop well this year, we would start next season with 2 more established strikers who are ours, plus a returning AA with hopefully more confidence. 

Of course, this is a complete flight of fancy on my behalf!