Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Perhaps the Mara deal isn't as cut and dried as it appears.

Doesn't look to me like he meets the WP requirements - only 12 points of the needed 15, according to those websites that calculate these things. 

Maybe it was Mara instead of Delap? I doubt we’ve announced a deal if we didn’t think we could complete it

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Athletic reported we had a bid for Delap turned down last month so this is either a rehash of that, or it’s a second bid. If it’s a second bid then we must feel it’s feasible to do a deal and I guess having Shields in place is informing that decision.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Still seems to me that Mara is the second option after Delap. Man City don't seem to want to sell Delap and presumably contract situations means they can hold onto him more easily? 

They must rate him highly if they are turning down £16 million for a lad who has basically no significant Prem League time under his belt.

It does worry me that we are going with 2 untried strikers + Adams.

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Maybe it was Mara instead of Delap? I doubt we’ve announced a deal if we didn’t think we could complete it

12 points (if that's the actual number - big if) puts Mara in a bracket (10-14) where we can appeal to an Exceptions Panel. The outcome of that could go either way, I suppose 

We definitely announced him before we were ready to - Bordeaux jumped the gun and we had to follow.

Looks like it will take around 20m then to get Delap. That's a good amount on a kid, it is usually us who sells the kids for that amount. I get why some are "concerned" by potentially not signing an "experienced" striker but actually it feels very exciting, even if the negative potential is perhaps higher. But on tbe basis they are as good as expected it could turn into a very exciting period for the club. 

With all these rumours flying around there's a very tiny and extremely optimistic part if me that is wondering if we ate going for Mara Delap AND Broja 🤣🤣 (I know it's mad!!)

Need to shift quite a few soon to increase the buying power. 

I think we'll get two strikers, one who is more of a natural number 9/target man type, and another who can play across the front and out wide if required.

Mara fits the bill for the later, Delap fits the bill for the number 9 type. My argument is that I don't think the club will sign two kids for this position, I'd imagine one of the strikers will be someone in the 22/23 mould with a bit of league experience behind them.

. I think '1' untried kid is fine, but two untried kids in the position which will make or break our season is a bit risky to say the least. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we'll get two strikers, one who is more of a natural number 9/target man type, and another who can play across the front and out wide if required.

Mara fits the bill for the later, Delap fits the bill for the number 9 type. My argument is that I don't think the club will sign two kids for this position, I'd imagine one of the strikers will be someone in the 22/23 mould with a bit of league experience behind them.

. I think '1' untried kid is fine, but two untried kids in the position which will make or break our season is a bit risky to say the least. 

Who do you think we will target to get alongside Mara?

1 minute ago, davefizzy14 said:

Who do you think we will target to get alongside Mara?

Honestly, I'd hope it would be someone like the guy from Sttuggart (Kalajdizc). Martin Terrier from Rennes. Dolberg from Nice. - Those sorts of players, not 'old', but with a few league seasons behind them and coming up to their mid 20's. 

I do have a somewhat uncomfortable feeling that we are going to risk it with a kid who hasn't ever played pro football though, as we have form for those transfers with Lavia, Tino etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Honestly, I'd hope it would be someone like the guy from Sttuggart (Kalajdizc). Martin Terrier from Rennes. Dolberg from Nice. - Those sorts of players, not 'old', but with a few league seasons behind them and coming up to their mid 20's. 

I do have a somewhat uncomfortable feeling that we are going to risk it with a kid who hasn't ever played pro football though, as we have form for those transfers with Lavia, Tino etc.

Yes Dolberg would be quality. Kalajdzic would be awesome. What about Dembele?

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It doesn’t look like PL experience is overly desirable to the current Saints leadership. With Delap, maybe the board are more able to deal/learn from the Broja situation, where we might have been able to buy him last year for £20m. If we get Delap, that might be it as it completes a strengthening of key areas, however untested.   

2 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

It doesn’t look like PL experience is overly desirable to the current Saints leadership. With Delap, maybe the board are more able to deal/learn from the Broja situation, where we might have been able to buy him last year for £20m. If we get Delap, that might be it as it completes a strengthening of key areas, however untested.   

It doesn't look like any real league experience in any country is desirable 😄

I don't have a problem with signing talent like this, it's exciting, but when you're working from an 'experienced' base of Adam Armstrong, Moussa, Elyonoussi it makes me somewhat nervous as we'd need these kids to hit the ground pretty quickly.

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

My argument is that I don't think the club will sign two kids for this position, I'd imagine one of the strikers will be someone in the 22/23 mould with a bit of league experience behind them.

Nothing we've seen from SR thus far suggests this will be the case. I'm positive they're aiming for Delap as our main option with Mara to come on from the bench - whether that's alongside Che or instead of remains to be seen.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Nothing we've seen from SR thus far suggests this will be the case. I'm positive they're aiming for Delap as our main option with Mara to come on from the bench - whether that's alongside Che or instead of remains to be seen.

Rightly or wrongly (and only time will tell on that) I agree with you.

As Smallbone is gone for the season, I d love us to try and get Houssem Aouar, was linked to top clubs over last few season and has gone down the pecking order, with Real Betis trying to sign him last week.

more of an 8 as a midfielder and a type of technical profile we don t have 

5 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

As Smallbone is gone for the season, I d love us to try and get Houssem Aouar, was linked to top clubs over last few season and has gone down the pecking order, with Real Betis trying to sign him last week.

more of an 8 as a midfielder and a type of technical profile we don t have 

I'm sure you've done your research and he may or may not be a decent prospect, but I sometimes wonder if posters compete on here to find the most obscure name and player no one else has heard of.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'm sure you've done your research and he may or may not be a decent prospect, but I sometimes wonder if posters compete on here to find the most obscure name and player no one else has heard of.

Funny you should mention that as I've been watching Samu Moses Phiri who is top scorer with the green buffalo's in the Zambian super league, great player could be a useful addition.

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think he could have done a job for us this season but the gametime he'll get a Stoke will probably be more beneficial.

Think he'd have been a League Cup player, and occasional being shoehorned into the team - possibly out of position - for a run out. Not sure even what his position is meant to be, or if he knows it yet.

From the youtube clips and his Eire appearance he seems to have a bit more to offer this season than his performance last season (was it Watford ?) suggests. Totally agree that Stoke is a better option.

• Like 1

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Funny you should mention that as I've been watching Samu Moses Phiri who is top scorer with the green buffalo's in the Zambian super league, great player could be a useful addition.

You need to add a # if you want that to be taken seriously...

And can I be first to question if he's just Mayuka MK II ?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Eh? Player no one has heard of? 
plays for Lyon, was linked to Arsenal, french international. Either this is a wind up or you have no knowledge of football outside england whatsoever 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Why were you watching the Zambian league?!!🤣

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Absolutely convinced your right. I fairly confident we have a slot for a more experienced striker if we dont get Broja.

I’m really happy with either broja or delap..

re delap I’m not too bothered by the lack of experience he looks as top class as broja and livremento did. And is goal a game striker at youth level .. joe shields will also know all about him and he might even consider him superior to broja which would make him top value. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I’m really happy with either broja or delap..

re delap I’m not too bothered by the lack of experience he looks as top class as broja and livremento did. And is goal a game striker at youth level .. joe shields will also know all about him and he might even consider him superior to broja which would make him top value. 

Can I ask....what makes you say this?

28 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Can I ask....what makes you say this?

Sure 

as a youth striker delap looks the best youth talent striker on the market Imo. You don’t score 32 goals in 32 games by accident, his goal record was above broja’s in youth football.

when he got on fringes of city team he scored a great goal in cup , he’s big, not slow for a big man packs a shot and great movement.

Joe shields also knows all about him if he’s convinced delap is say as good as broja or even close to this looks a mint signing..

im not the type that gets happy over every signing mara looks kinda meh for me but I think delap can be a absolute superb signing 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Aouar is pretty well known to be fair, IIRC the guy was in the last few years being linked with big moves to the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal. Seems to have not quite lived up to his early promise and had issues with his coaches. He's in the last year of his contract as well. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Why were you watching the Zambian league?!!🤣

You laugh but i've got a stream for the seychelles v madagascar game, huge Indian ocean derby.

I've been to both places but have to back the Pirates (seychelles) for this game although down 1-0

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Sure 

as a youth striker delap looks the best youth talent striker on the market Imo. You don’t score 32 goals in 32 games by accident, his goal record was above broja’s in youth football.

when he got on fringes of city team he scored a great goal in cup , he’s big, not slow for a big man packs a shot and great movement.

Joe shields also knows all about him if he’s convinced delap is say as good as broja or even close to this looks a mint signing..

im not the type that gets happy over every signing mara looks kinda meh for me but I think delap can be a absolute superb signing 

Some good stuff on the vid. Like the fact he is more than willing to bring players around him in.

2 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

This. I think the only risk with Delap is over his injury record as he was out for quite a while.

From the player perspective he doesn't really have a path into the City team with Haaland and Alvarez arriving but finds himself tied to a long term contract. I'd have thought it would be in City's and our interests to sell him to us for decent money with sell on clauses and buy back. 

• Like 1

Sure 

Looks like he scores quite a few goals there against Kelleher there doesn't he? Who Klopp raves about and has made a fair few appearances for Liverpools first team. 

Sure 

In those clips he reminds me a bit of Kevin Davies as a youngster for us, a real powerhouse and very direct, genuine goalscorer.  Could be exactly what we've been crying out for.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Sure 

he looks pretty slow. That doesn't mean he won't be effective. He certainly hits a decent ball. But Broja's combined pace and power brought something very different to the party, and something that opposing defenders struggled with.

A big slow centre forward can be brilliant - we know that better than most - but the likes of Sir Ricky developed their technique over a number of years. Playing with your back to goal doesn't seem to be what he does best. Is he really a target man?

Scoring 32 goals in that City youth team (that no doubt completely dominates other teams) is not the same as scoring goals for Saints in the Prem.

Redmond trained today but Ralph wanted a "smaller squad". 

Writing is on the wall for him, methinks. I think he's got a lot more about him than Elyonoussi, so that's a shame. Maybe he's a more saleable asset.

Edited by SambaMaverick
  • Like 3

As much as it wasn’t a “must-win” I think the 0-0 has made me rethink what we need: 
A winger or two. Another midfielder. A striker.

Urgently. We need players that can create and make a difference.

A CB for when Bednarek leaves too. 

Realistically I only see a few more signings at most.