Saints Kits Season 2022/23

Master Bates

Someone on a FB group commented that he's seen both away kits, none are yellow, the other person asked if it's black or blue and they said no and then the other person said "teal or green?" and the person responded with a smilie face.

18 hours ago, eurosaint said:

In order to rip off the gullible fans they produce three new kits every season !

Because of this, they basically have to change the designs otherwise people would perhaps stick with an old one if it was too similar !

There are certain criteria which are essential (ie. colours - red/white/black, PL badge, sponsors name) but beyond that there are limited possibilities for designers to play around with !

They always come up with something and supporters air their views for better or worse but often 50/50 as it is totally subjective and very much a matter of personal taste !

The club will add an element of bullshit to sell as many as possible (this year it is "bravery') but essentially it's just a marketing excercise to make money and nothing else !

Without giving anything away we both have a degree of inside knowledge of the industry. Do you think a club could make more by announcing a playing shirt would remain unchanged for 5, even 10 years?. Personally I think a lot of adults who never buy one might commit to one knowing it would last that long but probably not enough to offset the loss of those that buy  new shirt every season. Kids grow anyway so would need to replace theirs everry couple of years regardless of design. But in combination with that the club shop/website could offer a much wider range of short run, when it's gone it's gone club badged leisurewear with new stocks arriving seasonally 2-4 times a year (or more), similar to a normal clothing fashion label. If they got the range right I reckon they could increase overall sales considerably, but then I guess you'd have to factor in the loss of however much the kit manufcturers pay the club every year to sell the ever changing deisigns.

I think 3 kits is taking the piss but don’t have a problem with the club changing the look regularly. They need to raise revenue and this is an obvious way to do it. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. If you think it is a rip off, don’t buy it. I was talking to an 18 year old Chelsea supporter the other day, not only does he buy the complete full kits every year but he also buys the training kits and leisure wear. You’d think he would have better things to spend his money on at that age, but it is his choice.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Someone on a FB group commented that he's seen both away kits, none are yellow, the other person asked if it's black or blue and they said no and then the other person said "teal or green?" and the person responded with a smilie face.

Don’t we already know one is green/brown and the other is blue with links to waves in the design? 
these were mock-ups based on the info. 

AE17698B-E40F-4B8A-9407-990707B0AECD.jpeg

0C74605F-62E6-422C-8193-CBD2A0409E2B.jpeg

Edited by Saint Garrett

17 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Don’t we already know one is green/brown and the other is blue with links to waves in the design? 

Hope they are wrong.

The green/ army fatigues shirt is awful. The contrast stripes look as if its a tribute to the groundsman paying tribute to the 1976/7 Admiral stripes.

The blue is hideous and puke ! Wonder what inspired that ffs: Is  it designed on a 1960's psychedelic experience, or a Paisley wallpaper ?  Or perhaps it's a puzzle book, just hope the players don't spend 90 minutes looking for something in the design. 

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

The blue is hideous and puke ! Wonder what inspired that ffs: Is  it designed on a 1960's psychedelic experience, or a Paisley wallpaper ?  Or perhaps it's a puzzle book, just hope the players don't spend 90 minutes looking for something in the design. 

The closest Saints have had to it in the past is this...

SOUTHAMPTON 1991-1993 AWAY Original Admiral Signed Football Shirt - Adult  Xl £140.00 - PicClick UK

Edited by Matthew Le God

On 19/05/2022 at 19:33, hypochondriac said:

big-blue-wave-twirl-background-260nw-460815028.jpg

On 19/05/2022 at 19:35, hypochondriac said:

Screenshot_20220519-193446_Amazon Shopping.jpg

On 06/05/2022 at 14:17, craigthesaint said:

This is the one that I found that i meant

This is the recently launched Brøndby IF 2020-21 Away kit by Hummel.The  Danish Superliga giants' 2020-21 Away shirt is in “army g… | Mens tops,  Hummel, Mens tshirts

On 29/06/2022 at 09:41, Justin C said:

This was my first ever bit of inside info. As this bit was correct our other two kits will be,

One based on a design with Waves. Designed by a Japanese artist.

One will have some sort of reference to the Spitfire.

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Facebook is full of the sort of lunatic who claims there is no new kit being released this year. I believe the answers are already on this thread.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Let’s hope it’s neither of them, the green one in particular is vile. 

When does the kit actually become available to buy? It’s on preorder at the moment, had to buy one for my lad but seen nothing so far on when it’s going to be delivered. £93 for a kids kit FFS

Edited by Turkish

2 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Facebook is full of the sort of lunatic who claims there is no new kit being released this year. I believe the answers are already on this thread.

Spitfire reference, shirt is airforce blue with red white and blue touches on sleeves

7 hours ago, nta786 said:

Our whole merchandise range is pretty crap. My lad wants his bedroom done out in saints stuff but can find anything decent. He’d love a saints duvet and curtains, lamp shade etc but can’t find it anywhere. Anyone find anything like this?

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

the blue kit is tremendous, except for the tacked badges, which look terrible. Thats what I call `bold', and in the same mould as their (hummel's) goalkeeping shirts, 

49 minutes ago, Chez said:

the blue kit is tremendous, except for the tacked badges, which look terrible. Thats what I call `bold', and in the same mould as their (hummel's) goalkeeping shirts, 

Just goes to show we all have different tastes.  I completely hate that, it's messy and looks tacky.  

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Norwich, probably one of the dullest clubs out there seem to have nailed it this year. Very popular 

17ABD732-C1C1-484E-9369-6DC558C5E09D.jpeg

Like our umbro pinstripe kit in 2012/23. Simple retro classic. I eeally liked our white away kit that season. One of my favourite ever kits. 

As a rule, I think home kits should be like this. Classic, simple, not over fussy. Maybe away kits too. Third kits should be bold unorthodox creations. 

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Our whole merchandise range is pretty crap. My lad wants his bedroom done out in saints stuff but can find anything decent. He’d love a saints duvet and curtains, lamp shade etc but can’t find it anywhere. Anyone find anything like this?

We definitely used to sell all that stuff in the club shop. Had it all last time I went in there, maybe a year ago or so.

Would imagine there will be a whole new range of merchandise for the new season so maybe that stuff will be available then?

17 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Without giving anything away we both have a degree of inside knowledge of the industry. Do you think a club could make more by announcing a playing shirt would remain unchanged for 5, even 10 years?. Personally I think a lot of adults who never buy one might commit to one knowing it would last that long but probably not enough to offset the loss of those that buy  new shirt every season. Kids grow anyway so would need to replace theirs everry couple of years regardless of design. But in combination with that the club shop/website could offer a much wider range of short run, when it's gone it's gone club badged leisurewear with new stocks arriving seasonally 2-4 times a year (or more), similar to a normal clothing fashion label. If they got the range right I reckon they could increase overall sales considerably, but then I guess you'd have to factor in the loss of however much the kit manufcturers pay the club every year to sell the ever changing deisigns.

The critical question for the club is : "do you only want to make money or would we like to provide a reasonable deal for the supporters" ?

The answer is undoubtedly the former, but for me, a two year cycle with only home+away kits (the 3rd kit is a nonsense anyway) would be ideal !

The big unknown (to me at least!) is the kit manufacturer's contribution but I do feel that the whole system throughout all leagues has been driven by the greedy top 6 and Man U in particular 🥲 !

Anyway, it ain't gonna change so we all have to suck it up ☹️ !

Hope you're well AG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

The critical question for the club is : "do you only want to make money or would we like to provide a reasonable deal for the supporters" ?

The answer is undoubtedly the former, but for me, a two year cycle with only home+away kits (the 3rd kit is a nonsense anyway) would be ideal !

The big unknown (to me at least!) is the kit manufacturer's contribution but I do feel that the whole system throughout all leagues has been driven by the greedy top 6 and Man U in particular 🥲 !

Anyway, it ain't gonna change so we all have to suck it up ☹️ !

Hope you're well AG

Also would never happen as the sponsor would change in that time. So once that changes you wouldn’t have the latest kit. 

On 29/06/2022 at 09:41, Justin C said:

One will have some sort of reference to the Spitfire.

The squad get to try out the new third kit before general release...

a-group-of-men-in-homemade-fancy-dress-o

Note the protective headgear with Saints, bravely and boldly, at the forefront of preventing concussion injuries.

Note also the small midriff fighter plane: celebrating our nation's brave and bold heritage, while also keeping grabby opponents at bay during corners.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
autocarrots

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Have to agree with you on this. On attending away games we often kill a bit of time pre-match looking at a club's shop. I wouldn't compare us with the larger clubs where it is geared for tourists but by comparison with clubs of our status at the time of the match (Middlesbrough, WBA, Brighton) I've found them to be a bit more imaginative in the range available in particular retro shirts etc.

Did think of you and wonder what you'd make of Brighton on our visit in April, where they has an area set aside for rainbow merchandise ! At leasT, with the exception of the shirt, we haven't gone down that route. 

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Have to agree with you on this. On attending away games we often kill a bit of time pre-match looking at a club's shop. I wouldn't compare us with the larger clubs where it is geared for tourists but by comparison with clubs of our status at the time of the match (Middlesbrough, WBA, Brighton) I've found them to be a bit more imaginative in the range available in particular retro shirts etc.

Did think of you and wonder what you'd make of Brighton on our visit in April, where they has an area set aside for rainbow merchandise ! At leasT, with the exception of the shirt, we haven't gone down that route. 

It wont be long before we tap into this market huegly growing market, Rainbow saints is exloding with growth of over 1000%, they now have 40 members!

16 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

That is a beautiful shirt. I also like the blue mock up and would buy both.

With your user name I respectively suggest your eyesight may have been impaired by too much time under strobe lighting.

(Only joking I realise it's a matter of taste, and the 'flame effect' from the 80's is much better than the new 'wave' pattern).

Edited by Badger
  • Haha 1

How long is our contract with Hummel?

Home kit is questionable, I actually think it looks half done. Almost like someone shouting across an office going "Do they have white in their kit normally?", "Yeah...", "Cool thanks, I'll go with that". No real research or interest in it.
I'm fascinated to know who signs off on these or designs them. If someone came up to me after six months of drawing this concept up etc I'd bloody sack them.

If the away kit rumoured colours (khaki/black), I hope their contract is bloody cancelled.

The concept kits created by DBS Media are exceptional.

Also sick of the bloody betting sponsor, pretty much goes against everything the club was trying to do five or six years ago. Original style kits, colours, local sponsors etc.

If you're one of the mugs that shells out £50+ on this then have a word with yourself. The kits are (will be) pretty abysmal this season.

Put that £50 towards a loaf of bread, and depending on which supermarket you shop at maybe a half pint of milk too. 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

How long is our contract with Hummel?

Home kit is questionable, I actually think it looks half done. Almost like someone shouting across an office going "Do they have white in their kit normally?", "Yeah...", "Cool thanks, I'll go with that". No real research or interest in it.
I'm fascinated to know who signs off on these or designs them. If someone came up to me after six months of drawing this concept up etc I'd bloody sack them.

If the away kit rumoured colours (khaki/black), I hope their contract is bloody cancelled.

The concept kits created by DBS Media are exceptional.

Also sick of the bloody betting sponsor, pretty much goes against everything the club was trying to do five or six years ago. Original style kits, colours, local sponsors etc.

If you're one of the mugs that shells out £50+ on this then have a word with yourself. The kits are (will be) pretty abysmal this season.

Put that £50 towards a loaf of bread, and depending on which supermarket you shop at maybe a half pint of milk too. 👍

This is where the blame lies in my view. 

On 30/06/2022 at 16:12, Wurzel said:

Haven't Hummell already hinted at the 76 style candy stripes are due for a revival?
I'm with you, really like mixing it up, evenly sized stripes are my probably my least favourite (and isn't there a stat about no-one in stripes having won the league or cup for ages?

Liking the Barcelona variations, my favourite is #24, pretty much what we have now without the fading, would love us in a red and white#9 &  #20 as well. Just no hoops - ever!

Haven't seen or heard that, the only one I'm aware they might trot out again was the 'Danish pyjama' shirt, in red and what appears pink halves. 

1 hour ago, JCBSaint said:

WEST BROM NEW KIT 👍🏻….. someone managed to remember the extra stripes … did we run out of red felt tip pen when drawing ours?

A friend and former colleague is Head of Marketing at WBA and their 22/23 kit was designed "by the fans for the fans" with the Cyrille Regis era in mind. To be honest a red and white version of this would have been spot on in my opinion just that tad more red needed.

1 hour ago, westmidlandsaint said:

A friend and former colleague is Head of Marketing at WBA and their 22/23 kit was designed "by the fans for the fans" with the Cyrille Regis era in mind. To be honest a red and white version of this would have been spot on in my opinion just that tad more red needed.

If it’s so blindingly obvious to the likes of you and I you have to wonder how our Commercial Dept / Directors missed it.

WBA also managed a stripe down the back to make it seem complete rather than the designer running out of time in completing the effort.

That WBA design in r/w, whilst not being the ideal is much better than our piss poor effort. 

22 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Both hideous, I refuse to believe anyone would sign off that green thing.

I listened to a podcast recently and one of the questions raised was about why often “concept kits” are better than the actual kits.

Basically the reason is concept kits to actually make would be a lot more expensive than the actual kits, due to patterns and designs. To keep the same profit margins they would have to make them more expensive to the supporters to buy. 

37 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

I listened to a podcast recently and one of the questions raised was about why often “concept kits” are better than the actual kits.

Basically the reason is concept kits to actually make would be a lot more expensive than the actual kits, due to patterns and designs. To keep the same profit margins they would have to make them more expensive to the supporters to buy. 

Interesting. There are a number of actual kits with a lot of detailing, beyond most concept kits. Our own has those lines over it. The technology seems able to allow that, and maintain the profit.

4 hours ago, Piran said:

Can I just say that I am amazed by the amount of correspondence on this topic?

I guess we're not all the same. Thankfully.

4 hours ago, Piran said:

Can I just say that I am amazed by the amount of correspondence on this topic?

I guess we're not all the same. Thankfully.

Amazed? Really? It’s because our new kit is rubbish. That’s why. 🤷🏼‍♂️

4 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

Some of the more zany or complex concept kits might be expensive, but why more than the ludicrous grey lines on our kit ?

Generally seems bollocks to me, why should the WBA kit be more than ours to manufacture? Think it was established years ago that they’re all made for a pittance. 

Any additional cost is probably negligible compared to the retail price

Edited by Badger

52 minutes ago, Badger said:

Some of the more zany or complex concept kits might be expensive, but why more than the ludicrous grey lines on our kit ?

Generally seems bollocks to me, why should the WBA kit be more than ours to manufacture? Think it was established years ago that they’re all made for a pittance. 

Any additional cost is probably negligible compared to the retail price

I dunno, don’t shirts tend to fit to an existing template to save costs? Teams who use the same brand often have similar styles, I expect when something needs to be mass produced an off the shelf pattern is much cheaper than something custom designed even if it is just as complex.