Saints Kits Season 2022/23

Master Bates

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Nice to see the club dragging out the kit launch until they've finished editing some pointless two minute video for its release; rather than actually releasing it early and trying to capitalise on some sales.

It's also a World Cup year, will a lot of fans be buying internationals shirts this year? In all truth probably not. But then again I haven't bought a football shirt for maybe twenty years. Waste of money.

Then again maybe I'm just old. 🙂 I've never understood why clubs take ages to drag out kit launches. Just do it once the season ends. Presumably kit manufacturers have been on this for the past year? Just seems the Southampton Way to delay it until July and then not actually make them available to buy until mid-October once all the faults have been ironed out 🤣

Really winds me up how they make us wait months.  Given it's a new shirt every year, the prime time for wearing a new football shirt is the summer before the season starts.  The following summer, the shirt is old hat.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, bender said:

Really winds me up how they make us wait months.  Given it's a new shirt every year, the prime time for wearing a new football shirt is the summer before the season starts.  The following summer, the shirt is old hat.

I understand the hype as kids love the new shirts. I know I used to love the waiting and the build up. I remember getting the iconic Pony top in the 90’s, when on a holiday on the Isle of Wight from a popular sports shop at the time. I think it was the only shop that sold the Saints top outside the club store at the time. 

perhaps they are delaying so supports forget the terrible end to the season we had. They seem to be waiting for something for the fans to get excited about. 

29 minutes ago, bender said:

I reckon it will definitely be available to buy during "the summer before the season starts". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

I reckon it will definitely be available to buy during "the summer before the season starts". 

That would be really poor marketing if not. 😂 look what you fans could be wearing! 

Edited by Dr Who?

42 minutes ago, bender said:

Official first day of Summer is June 21st, Summer Soltice. Then it starts getting darker in the evenings.

Edited by Master Bates
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

That would be really poor marketing if not. 😂 look what you fans could be wearing! 

I may be remembering incorrectly but that may have happened (or nearly) under Cortese, IIRC he dithered and dallied so much on kit selection that we ran out of choice and in the end had to have an awful generic teamwear shirt just to get something out in time.

I remember the days when next season’s kit was worn in the final home game of the season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Nice to see the club dragging out the kit launch until they've finished editing some pointless two minute video for its release; rather than actually releasing it early and trying to capitalise on some sales.

It's also a World Cup year, will a lot of fans be buying internationals shirts this year? In all truth probably not. But then again I haven't bought a football shirt for maybe twenty years. Waste of money.

Then again maybe I'm just old. 🙂 I've never understood why clubs take ages to drag out kit launches. Just do it once the season ends. Presumably kit manufacturers have been on this for the past year? Just seems the Southampton Way to delay it until July and then not actually make them available to buy until mid-October once all the faults have been ironed out 🤣

Conversely, we had such a terrible end to the season that perhaps the last thing people want to do is waste £50 to be laughed at by Southampton based Liverpool fans.  The club are probably hoping that we'll all be suffering from amnesia by the time it eventually comes out.  

And so the vicious circle begins again... 😃

The last shirt I got was free from a wholesaler's promotion, and I'm certainly not the demographic who wears them to games or out and about, although might wear one when out jogging etc. I was thinking about getting the current goalkeeper's orange shirt in a sale for added visibility when out cycling!

They do seem to make a bit of a meal of it though. Can't see it being delayed for any signing or they'd have to wait another couple of months...

12 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I may be remembering incorrectly but that may have happened (or nearly) under Cortese, IIRC he dithered and dallied so much on kit selection that we ran out of choice and in the end had to have an awful generic teamwear shirt just to get something out in time.

I remember the days when next season’s kit was worn in the final home game of the season.

Yes he did, ended up with a ahirt that you could buy for about £15 without saints badge on. Think that might have been the season colinjb on here was so outraged he was going to protest against the new kit by buying it anyway.

Edited by Turkish

7 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

Let's be fair Semmens can't organise a piss up in a brewery.  It was only a few seasons ago that, never mind the fans, even the first team didn't have the new strip until a couple of days before the season started...

Wasn't that because they all fell off a container in the atlantic or something?!! 🤣

21 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

Let's be fair Semmens can't organise a piss up in a brewery.  It was only a few seasons ago that, never mind the fans, even the first team didn't have the new strip until a couple of days before the season started...

Wasn’t that under Cortese ? 

13 hours ago, bender said:

Wouldn’t be so bad if it was worthwhile when it is revealed.

The kit is often released to be met with thought of a ‘hope for something better next season’ .

Seems like a lot of teams are late releasing kits this year because contracts with sponsors and/or kit manufacturers don't end until 30th June. STORY HERE

However, unless there are more deals ending this year than usual surely  that applies every year? And also I don't think either situation applies to us does it? Certainly same manufacturer, not heard any mention of sponsor change (although can't even remember who sleeve sponsor is - Virgin?) . Maybe we are still waiting for Gareth Bale to make his mind up. 🤣

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

Wouldn’t be so bad if it was worthwhile when it is revealed.

The kit is often released to be met with thought of a ‘hope for something better next season’ .

Anyone over the age of 14 who wears a football kit when they're not playing football is a bit odd anyway to be honest.

• Like 4

Just now, Turkish said:

Anyone over the age of 14 who wears a football kit when they're not playing football is a bit odd anyway to be honest.

Agree it’s naff. 

But doesn’t mean I want to see Saints taking to the field with a ‘dog’s breakfast’ of a design. 

Just now, Badger said:

Agree it’s naff. 

But doesn’t mean I want to see Saints taking to the field with a ‘dog’s breakfast’ of a design. 

You're generally pretty limited with football shirts anyway. I mean what can you do with red and white stripes? Make them thicker or thinner, change the collar, that's about it. Always much preffered plain shirts, or something unique like the keegan kit or sash, red and white stripes are just a bit naff.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Any bloke over the age of 14 who wears a football kit when they're not playing football is a bit odd anyway to be honest.

I've corrected that for you. You've clearly never googled hot girls in football shirts 😜

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I've corrected that for you. You've clearly never googled hot girls in football shirts 😜

Can you share some of your research on here? 

47 minutes ago, Badger said:

Wasn’t that under Cortese ? 

2019. 9th August that year and we didn't even have a new kit for the players much less the fans.

@Turkish It was "issues encountered during the logo embellishment process"  🤣

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-08-09/southampton-football-club-new-kit-update-9th-august-2019

Edited by once_bitterne

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Can you share some of your research on here? 

I only get 3 posts a day, this one is the bottom of the pile, (to be fair I shouldn't pre-juge you ot your taste in women) you can find the rest yourself 🤣

spacer.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, nta786 said:

https://preorder.castore.com/products/mens-home-pro-shirt

Newcastle have black and white stripes on the front and the back.

So for anyone who said that it was a PL ruling for back to be plain or something, why can Newcastle do it?

I suppose they can also house away fans up in the Gods, Saints are too nice as a team. 

I think it was a UEFA rule and we adopted it when we got into Europa League? And I suppose we live in hope after that?

I remember a couple of years ago United and Spurs had a shirt that faded into their shorts but UEFA rules said they had to have the same colour shorts and tops. They looked very silly.

8 hours ago, Wurzel said:

I only get 3 posts a day, this one is the bottom of the pile, (to be fair I shouldn't pre-juge you ot your taste in women) you can find the rest yourself 🤣

spacer.png

Liverpool game was cancelled as the two match balls went missing. 

Edited by Saint Billy
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, nta786 said:

So for anyone who said that it was a PL ruling for back to be plain or something, why can Newcastle do it?

I suppose they can also house away fans up in the Gods, Saints are too nice as a team. 

£65 for a replica Newcastle shirt fml. 

On 07/06/2022 at 20:32, bender said:

To be fair there aren’t many clubs who have launched theirs yet.

Arsenal / Newcastle / Liverpool / West Ham / Tottenham/ Man City I think and 3 of those were yesterday or today.

22 hours ago, nta786 said:

Brentford too

On 08/06/2022 at 10:15, Turkish said:

You're generally pretty limited with football shirts anyway. I mean what can you do with red and white stripes? Make them thicker or thinner, change the collar, that's about it. Always much preffered plain shirts, or something unique like the keegan kit or sash, red and white stripes are just a bit naff.

What can you do with any coloured shirts? One suspects that most clubs have run out of ideas on how to make their new shirts sufficiently different to last year's while sticking to their traditional colours.

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What can you do with any coloured shirts? One suspects that most clubs have run out of ideas on how to make their new shirts sufficiently different to last year's while sticking to their traditional colours.

Do the clubs even get much input into the design anyway?  With the biggest manufacturers working with 3 or 4 templates a year for most it's more likely to be you can have X, Y or Z and fitting in the team colours in accordingly. At least Hummel seem prepared to come with designs that are a bit different (although that doesn't always turn out to be a good thing)

On 08/06/2022 at 14:23, nta786 said:

Ridiculous to have stripes on one side only.

We need to have them on neither.

3 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Do the clubs even get much input into the design anyway?  With the biggest manufacturers working with 3 or 4 templates a year for most it's more likely to be you can have X, Y or Z and fitting in the team colours in accordingly. At least Hummel seem prepared to come with designs that are a bit different (although that doesn't always turn out to be a good thing)

I was listening to the price of football podcast the other day and they had a guy from hummer on and he confirmed all the teams they supply to in the UK get a bespoke kit and for each of the 3 kits they submit about 15 - 20 designs to the club. Also said that next year is hummers 100 year anniversary and said the teams they supply kits to are in for a treat.  Really good podcast and worth a listen.

1 hour ago, negium said:

I was listening to the price of football podcast the other day and they had a guy from hummer on and he confirmed all the teams they supply to in the UK get a bespoke kit and for each of the 3 kits they submit about 15 - 20 designs to the club. Also said that next year is hummers 100 year anniversary and said the teams they supply kits to are in for a treat.  Really good podcast and worth a listen.

Cheers I'll have to find that one sounds interesting.  You're right it's a great podcast, really good take on the "business" of football as opposed to the usual tactics/transfer gossip etc.  It's my regular commute listen but I've missed a few lately. When they do at least 2 a week I never get round to catching up on the ones I miss. 

4 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Cheers I'll have to find that one sounds interesting.  You're right it's a great podcast, really good take on the "business" of football as opposed to the usual tactics/transfer gossip etc.  It's my regular commute listen but I've missed a few lately. When they do at least 2 a week I never get round to catching up on the ones I miss. 

Yeah it can be hard to keep up. Luckily I have a job where I can listen to them as I work. The kit one us from the weekend so not the latest but the one before. Was a really good listen.

• Like 1