Saints 2-2 Leeds - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

32 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Jwp has been quite poor today. He always seems to start the season slowly

Playing further forward and has an automatic understanding with Romeu.

Will take time for him to work that with Lavia but if he rotates that jwp and Lavia/ Romeu axis thats a  lovely midfield to have.

21 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

😂 touche! I do get a lot of fun out of schuadenfraud

You misunderstand schadenfreude - you cannot take pleasure from somebody else's misfortune when you are in exactly the same situation, you end up laughing at yourself.

20 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And make sure Bednarek isn't one of the two who do play.

OK we did very well to get a point out of that, because we were looking so bad at 0-2 down. It begs the question though, why did RH stick with the dreadful 352 for so long when it obviously doesn't work with the players we have?

All of the new signings have shown some decent quality so far.

ABK is quite obviously a better CB than JB (and Valery), and Mara is a massive upgrade on Long. That through ball for the second goal was exquisite.

But please Ralph, pleeeeeeease, just stick with what you know works and has served us so well in the past. None of this fannying around with the formation. Find your best 11 in a 4222 and play them consistently.

But who plays at Lb if Perraud is not fit

Few positives to note though...

1. Bazunu looks really good. Made some good solid saves, good with the ball at his feet and strong today at his near post. Hopefully he's the fulltime #1 now. 

2. Aribo looks a quality little player. Not affraid to run forward and can be quick tricky. 

3. Lavia. My god this lad looks class. I can honestly see him going on to have a top career in the Pl and probably for City when they buy him back in a couple of years. 

All the new signings looked good tbf and so did Djenpo but only when we switched formation. 

Edited by Shance

Just now, badgerx16 said:

You misunderstand schadenfreude - you cannot take pleasure from somebody else's misfortune when you are in exactly the same situation, you end up laughing at yourself.

Fair point! However Im a european citizen so the point stands. Anyway thats for another thread.

This one is for celebrating a fine comeback and cheering our boys to the rafters 🥳

3 minutes ago, John B said:

But who plays at Lb if Perraud is not fit

We shouldn't have to change our entire system because one player (who wasn't even a regular starter last season) is injured.

We've clearly been trying to bring in a FB during the summer, along with a striker. We should start to see some movement now as the window draws to a close and the dominoes start falling. If we sign a RB on loan who is good enough to start, we can shift KWP over to the left until Perraud is ready. Although, it's a little alarming that he didn't even make the matchday squad today. I hope he hasn't had a major setback in his recovery.

• Like 3

It was a amazing point considering how we were looking I thought no chance! But to see this as anything over than a point despite Ralph not because of him is papering over the cracks as it needed his own assistants to point out his own stupidity! 

• Like 7

On the face of it a good result given we looked poop for most of the game until Ralph decided to listen to good advice. Lavia and BJK were really good and deserved of starts every match. Bazunu showed why he is our new no.1.

Found it very interesting to see Bednarek get withdrawn and sitting on the bench with his head in his hands. I wonder what’s going on there - it seemed a very strange thing to do…a nod to his unhappy position with Ralph perhaps?

I tuned in just in time to see us conced a soft second goal.

Some animated discussions on the Saints bench. - good to see something there rather than just Ralph pacing up and down.

Subs worked well, allowing us to change the shape (not seen the first part to see how horrid 3 at the back was)

I don't know if Leeds dropped back a little, but Djenepo and Adam Armstrong looked lively down that flank, with the former tiring before being subbed. Surprised not to see Perraud in the squad.

Surprised not to see Redmond in there either. I get that the club are trying to move players on, but it seems like there's a rotation where one week they're dropped and the next they get game time. Not healthy for anyone concerned.  I'd like to think that things will settle down towards the end of the window. But it probably won't with no one seeming to want any of them, or waiting as we seem to be to get some financial leverage in the deals.

Lavia continued to impress.

Bednarek looked very unhappy to be the one subbed. One of them had to be. I can see that it might be his turn in the naughty, dropped corner for the next game. As much form ,as him being one that we might get some pennies for.

We look so much better in a formation that allows KWP to attack with enough bodies around him to support. Aribo, Adams (we could have really done with that holding up ability last week. What was going on there?) and then Mara with a lovely pass for the assist.

From the bit I saw, we worked hard against a team with a 2-0 lead. How it got to that stage will be interesting to see/read.

I can get why he thinks 3 at the back works. But I've not seen our players to be able to defend it, and give us any attacking threat. We looked comfortable with the shift. But was that because Leeds had shifted after going 2-0? Would we have been able to do that from the start?

So the bit I saw was nearly all a positive Saints. looking to score goals. But if that was following an utter train wreck of 60minutes there will have to be some long hard looks at the manager. I optimistically went for a 2-0 win for us. But it was a game we needed to win, and should have. Had we not fought back from 2-0 down, and Leeds had sauntered to a win, it would have been hard to see how RH could have continued. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I tuned in just in time to see us conced a soft second goal.

Some animated discussions on the Saints bench. - good to see something there rather than just Ralph pacing up and down.

Subs worked well, allowing us to change the shape (not seen the first part to see how horrid 3 at the back was)

I don't know if Leeds dropped back a little, but Djenepo and Adam Armstrong looked lively down that flank, with the former tiring before being subbed. Surprised not to see Perraud in the squad.

Surprised not to see Redmond in there either. I get that the club are trying to move players on, but it seems like there's a rotation where one week they're dropped and the next they get game time. Not healthy for anyone concerned.  I'd like to think that things will settle down towards the end of the window. But it probably won't with no one seeming to want any of them, or waiting as we seem to be to get some financial leverage in the deals.

Lavia continued to impress.

Bednarek looked very unhappy to be the one subbed. One of them had to be. I can see that it might be his turn in the naughty, dropped corner for the next game. As much form ,as him being one that we might get some pennies for.

We look so much better in a formation that allows KWP to attack with enough bodies around him to support. Aribo, Adams (we could have really done with that holding up ability last week. What was going on there?) and then Mara with a lovely pass for the assist.

From the bit I saw, we worked hard against a team with a 2-0 lead. How it got to that stage will be interesting to see/read.

I can get why he thinks 3 at the back works. But I've not seen our players to be able to defend it, and give us any attacking threat. We looked comfortable with the shift. But was that because Leeds had shifted after going 2-0? Would we have been able to do that from the start?

So the bit I saw was nearly all a positive Saints. looking to score goals. But if that was following an utter train wreck of 60minutes there will have to be some long hard looks at the manager. I optimistically went for a 2-0 win for us. But it was a game we needed to win, and should have. Had we not fought back from 2-0 down, and Leeds had sauntered to a win, it would have been hard to see how RH could have continued. 

Bro I said 5-0 so you need to up your optimism game

• Haha 1

Clearly super happy to get a point - Leeds were by far the better team for 60 minutes - high energy, dynamic, all over us...then a great - and let's admit it - unexpected turnaround.

Yes with 4 at the back of course but what a difference a goal and a bit of confidence brings.

Credit to A Armstrong for a strong run and decent delivery for Aribo who was very composed to finish.

Commentators went from writing us off for the season to praising our determination and pitching us as most likely to win at the end.

New players look good investments. Still need to fix basic defensive issues - like defending from corners and closing wide men down to stop crosses coming in. Still feel we need an out and out striker...perhaps Mara is the man?

Hopefully that will give us some confidence to play with a bit more attacking flair and confidence away at Leicester next week.

53 minutes ago, saintant said:

A decent manager with these players picks the right formation from the start and we win that game comfortably. Our clever clown outsmarts himself and very nearly throws away all 3 points instead of just the 2. Get him gone now and, if anything, this game only goes to reinforce how clueless he has become. Good fightback to earn a battling point, should have been 3 and signs of what we can do if the set up is right.

I agree with this. I am a level headed, non-reactionary poster - you only have to look at my in match comments to see that - but in a way coming back to get a point today reinforces how badly our man has lost the plot, and the kindest thing for everyone is if he were to be relieved of his duties asap.
I will say though that that 2nd half offers some real hope if and when he does go.

• Like 3

Djenepro had great game second half . Lavia looks quality and Aribo just gives us strength and ability on ball and him and KWP linked so well.

Enough has been said about formation let’s just hope he learns.

Che battling performance showed what we missed and get players around him we look so much better 

united 4 down!!!

• Like 1

Just back and posting without looking at the rest of the thread.

Happy with that comeback, and I hope that Ralph realises now he needs to ditch the 5 at the back, we actually put ourselves about and put some attacks together when we went back to the 4222. 

Lavia is quality and we need to enjoy him whilst we can!

Bella-Kotchap looked assured. 

Mara’s pass 🤌🏼

As long as Ralph goes back to what we are good at, system wise - we should be ok! Still need to get wing / full back cover ASAP!

• Like 2

Let this match be a learning curve. Every man and his dog could see that the five at the back formation was poor and there wasn't any reason to be stubborn with it. Hopefully, the two goals with the new formation has shown Hasenhuttl that we do have the players to be more expressive and take the game to the opposition again. Additionally, we do not need to keep being reminded that Bednarek and Elyounoussi are piss poor at this level and shouldn't be starting any Premier League fixture. How the latter started ahead of Aribo, the lord only knows. Credit to all of Aribo, A. Armstrong and Mara (And I guess the manager, although 70 minutes late) on changing the game. All need to start next week against a poor Leicester side and that includes A. Armstrong, who looked a bit hopeless last week, but with players around him, he could certainly be a nuisance as he was today.

Positives were obviously Aribo, who gave us that Premier League quality in attack that we were completely missing and Bella-Kotchap. He has the same characteristics as Lyanco, but obviously a bit better and I don't think he celebrates making a tackle, but he does let his teammates know when they've made a mistake and urges them to play positively and quickly when they aren't. 

But, yeah, Hasenhuttl needs to learn from this and if the same mistakes that were made today are made next week then I'll be firmly in the out camp, as you can't start playing after 70 minutes and 2-0 down.

• Like 2

Just now, Saint-Reece said:

Also, there were some fucking idiots around us in Block 3 singing “sacked in the morning” after JWP (I think) slicing the ball out of play… as if it was Ralph’s fault. I despair of our fans sometimes 🤦🏻‍♂️

dispair?  Despite the spirited comeback, it was so evident that the formation is a dud, yet we kept going with it for so long.

That was a well earned point (given the circumstances), but clearly 2 dropped and 6 points from the last 45.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Listening to solent, annoyed that timid blackmore didn't bother asking ralph about changing away from 3 Cb's. Thought Ralph seemed rather low (given normally the manager who comes back from nowhere) would be more enthused.

Adam is so far up their arses, it is embarrassing.  His tearful-like intro to the fans forum brought this to light

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

On the face of it a good result given we looked poop for most of the game until Ralph decided to listen to good advice. Lavia and BJK were really good and deserved of starts every match. Bazunu showed why he is our new no.1.

Found it very interesting to see Bednarek get withdrawn and sitting on the bench with his head in his hands. I wonder what’s going on there - it seemed a very strange thing to do…a nod to his unhappy position with Ralph perhaps?

Maybe it was the heat.

19 minutes ago, Reggie Rodway said:

Thoughts on “Sacked in the morning” being bellowed out by saints fans after Leeds scored the 2nd?

Fair enough and hope they are correct.

I thank him for his service, but I’m done with this bloke and would like to see a fresh pair of hands in charge of what look like a decent set of new players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Listening to solent, annoyed that timid blackmore didn't bother asking ralph about changing away from 3 Cb's. Thought Ralph seemed rather low (given normally the manager who comes back from nowhere) would be more enthused.

Maybe he's smart enough to know it was a lucky escape that may or may not have been forced on him by his staff. I stopped watching after the second Leeds goal because I thought we were absolutely abysmal. For the first time I was saying Ralph out. There seemed no way on Earth we could get anything out of the game. I don't take it as a huge positive that we did unless he learns from it. If he reverts to his 4-2-2-2 preference and we start watching some decent football again, I'll be happy. If he carries on with the 5 at the back next week he doesn't deserve to keep the job.

• Like 2

Good comeback and credit to the players and management for changing things.

Leeds need to work on their fitness,they were struggling at the end and it was good to see Saints going after them.

However the team that started just wasn't good enough, or set up correctly.

I'm left with mixed feelings. Hopefully we can build on that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Reggie Rodway said:

Thoughts on “Sacked in the morning” being bellowed out by saints fans after Leeds scored the 2nd?

No problem...We were absolutely abysmal for 70 mins of the game. Maybe it's a turning point. If so, great. It doesn't take much for fans and media to turn 180 degrees. If we win the next 2 games it will be all about Ralph taking over from Ten Haag.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-2 Leeds - Match Thread
1 hour ago, Mr X said:

It was a amazing point considering how we were looking I thought no chance! But to see this as anything over than a point despite Ralph not because of him is papering over the cracks as it needed his own assistants to point out his own stupidity! 

Perhaps his coaching team advised him to start that way? Leeds ran themselves out and would could have won it at the end thanks to fresh legs and some decent subs. Perhaps Ralph made the final decisions? We don’t know but just to assume that everything Ralph decides is shit is nonsensical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1