January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

37 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

I really don't think is is Jones' tactic at all but rather a reflection of our squad's defensive fragility and complete lack of confidence

We’ll said. If it was a tactic we would do it early, into the channels, then press the opposition in, ala Big Jacks Ireland.

There’s no doubt he wants us to get it forward quicker, but that’s different than long ball hoof football. Players lacking confidence, a lack of movement & people not wanting to make a mistake leads  to knocking it long. There’s a bit of passing the buck, it takes a brave man to constantly want to play, want the ball, when we’re in the form we’re in and the crowd are edgy. 

4 hours ago, swannymere said:

Anyone remember the last time player from South America ended up being any good for us?

I liked the cut of Sarmiento, he was decent I thought.

To be honest if there is 1 nation in south America I'm confident of recruiting from that fits the EPL it's Argentina, the country where they have to graduate shit house school before they can get on the pitch.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2023 at 15:20, Dman said:

I don’t think he fancies it tbh. Always seems to be getting injured / going down. 

Looked like he couldn’t wait to come off, but hopefully I’m wrong on that account and that was just his playing style rather than attitude 

As with Doswell, you seemed to be suggesting ABK wanted to come off because `he didn't fancy it'. 

Out today and will be having a scan:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/armel-bella-kotchap-injury-update-7995627

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Why are we being linked with wingers and midfielders when Jones tactic 5-3-2 and lump it 70 yards? Surely we should be trying to get a 6ft 4 striker in as a priority. 

didn't play that formation or tactic today. 4-2-3-1 with two wingers, and passed it out from the back. I wonder if we will regress when up against different opposition.

Getting some height up front wouldn't be a bad thing though. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Chez said:

didn't play that formation or tactic today. 4-2-3-1 with two wingers, and passed it out from the back. I wonder if we will regress when up against different opposition.

Getting some height up front wouldn't be a bad thing though. 

Moffi would be ideal. 6'2 but also mobile, used to shouldering goalscoring burden and good underlying stats for the last couple of seasons.

Obviously difficult to persuade targets to join given our league position though.

€30m seems very steep but then again we are totally desperate which every club knows. Good strikers are in very short supply (Weghorst supposedly going on loan to Utd proves that).

Because we fucked up in the summer we will probably need to overpay in January to get what we want.

Orsic should make a big difference but we still badly need a central striker and I am still suprised this hadn't been lined up for 1st Jan. I think in this position it will go deep into January.

6 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Also, he's evidently been unable to play 90 minutes for quite a while now. There's not some sort of conspiracy here, he's just a talented player with fitness concerns. The other night he was grimacing after a short burst and clearly took a booking because he was unable to chase back. Not sure any team able to pay his wages would be particularly interested in him for those reasons. 

Long term Covid effects possibly?

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

30m is too much for me. I still think Beto is our primary target.

Udinese only bought him this summer, all be it they had him on loan last season (they had an obligation to buy). They may be very reluctant to sell so quickly, unless its a phenomenal amount - probably in the realm of €30m. I don't think they are hard up either, as they sold Molina to Athletico for €20m and Udogie to Spurs for something similar. If they did need money, they'd probably manufacture something with Watford (the Udinese owner's son owns Watford) like they did with Kamara. If Watford get promoted, look out for that transfer. Hoe I am wrong, as Beto looks like he has the attributes needed for the prem.

Talksport indicated yesterday that we hoped to make another signing within the next 48 hours. Although it would usually be dismissed, talksport have been fairly accurate this window. Think Fabrizio Romano also made a comment that we were now focusing on other signings. Be good to get another over the line in time for Everton, preferably a striker

• Like 3

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Talksport indicated yesterday that we hoped to make another signing within the next 48 hours. Although it would usually be dismissed, talksport have been fairly accurate this window. Think Fabrizio Romano also made a comment that we were now focusing on other signings. Be good to get another over the line in time for Everton, preferably a striker

Probably end up being that striker from Middlesbrough 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Chez said:

Getting some height up front wouldn't be a bad thing though

Right Chez, I've been writing the same thing since Pelle left.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Odd though that it takes days to give him a scan.

The quote from Jones is 'He'll get scanned and we'll know more in the coming days', which he made straight after the game on Wednesday.  Pretty standard quote from any manager to be fair when they have no idea how serious (or not) an injury is.

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Gotta say he looks amazing from the videos .. absolutely superb dribbling with pace and glides past players.. quite a rare skill set for a central mid riquelme with pace ;)

Looks good on video for sure and would bring some excitement back for us fans.

Certainly someone who could step into JWP shoes if he moves on next season.

• Like 1

Few fans have mentioned getting another goalkeeper

Ralph insisted on keeping McCarthy as first choice for an age before he used FF, but now we have just Bazunu and Willie C

to choose from.  McCarthy is injured and will go ..sooner or later, and although I think Willie would be a valuable asset to keep

- on the  coaching side - longer term we still need another name to give us some choice .... in the worst case scenario.

15 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The quote from Jones is 'He'll get scanned and we'll know more in the coming days', which he made straight after the game on Wednesday.  Pretty standard quote from any manager to be fair when they have no idea how serious (or not) an injury is.

Ok, I couldn’t be bothered to follow the link.

15 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Ralph insisted on keeping McCarthy as first choice for an age before he used FF, but now we have just Bazunu and Willie C

to choose from.  McCarthy is injured and will go ..sooner or later, and although I think Willie would be a valuable asset to keep

- on the  coaching side - longer term we still need another name to give us some choice .... in the worst case scenario.

Doubt we will sign another keeper. Whether you like any of them or not, we have four.

If he wasn't injured, McCarthy would have come in for Bazunu by now.

McCarthy is contracted until 2024. Cabellero will likely depart in the summer, Lis returns from loan. Yes I know, it's ugly.

We have a keeper coach. Unless he departs there is no need for another.

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Looks good on video for sure and would bring some excitement back for us fans.

Certainly someone who could step into JWP shoes if he moves on next season.

His skillset looks more of a number ten really by watching the videos the way he dribbles is almost kaka like … and majority of videos are feints and dribbles ..

is he really a proper cm ?

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

If we are serious about staying up we need to buy a decent keeper. Bazunu is too young and is costing us points and making the defence nervous.

17 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Racing fans seem to think he is massively overrated and would snap our hands off for €10 million. They don't like him at all.

Reminds me of the Torino fans when Lyanco joined us...

Where are you seeing this? All I’ve read is that he’s much sought after.. 

1 minute ago, SaintLondon said:

Where are you seeing this? All I’ve read is that he’s much sought after.. 

It's the general consensus from their fans on twitter. Obviously you can't take it as gospel but it was quite the opposite reaction from Dinamo fans regarding Orsic. 

16 hours ago, Chez said:

As with Doswell, you seemed to be suggesting ABK wanted to come off because `he didn't fancy it'. 

Out today and will be having a scan:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/armel-bella-kotchap-injury-update-7995627

Fair enough, happy to hold my hands up and appologise. 

From where I was, it seemed like nothing, but sometimes they can be the worst. 

Let’s hope it’s not too serious 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ecurnew02 said:

10M Euro offer rejected, apparently Racing Club sent a counteroffer 

This might be the one we were hoping to get over the line next (perhaps the 48 hours report from Talksport?). Looks like the striker situation is going to drag on which is frustrating but expected. We saw haggling over the price for Orsic the day before the ‘here we go’ tweets.

If this is really the guy Benfica were looking at to replace Enzo Fernandez then it would be a coup to sign him. Lots of big clubs have reportedly been tracking him.  His ability to drive forward with the ball at ease is something we are missing (peak Stu is the only one who gave us that and he often gave it away trying).

With him and Orsic in the team we should be getting into dangerous positions for Che to miss more often 😉

• Like 1

Just now, saintant said:

So either your source or Nathan Jones is telling porkies then.

Sure. My source has no reason to lie. 3 - 6 weeks. Medial something or other, no rupture. I posted this on the other thread 2 days ago. If my " source" has lied to me so be it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

sometimes they wait for the swelling to go down etc to get an accurate scan

Yep. I doubt they'd have scanned the same evening, and before the swelling had subsided. 

22 minutes ago, saintant said:

So either your source or Nathan Jones is telling porkies then.

Or maybe he is having a follow up scan, perhaps the first one was inconclusive (it happens, scans don't always work perfectly) or maybe they needed any swelling to reduce before they could get an accurate picture of the damage.

• Like 1