January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Just now, Chez said:

thought it was more to do with Reading increasing the `agreed' price and Nik Nak unwilling to pay more.

IIRC they wanted £1million for him, which at the time was the "absurd" amount that we paid for Rickie Lambert in league one which blew any other interested parties out of the water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

At the end of the day like Lavia, City have a great many talents ln the books and the upcoming change in loan rules means that they’ll need to sell instead of loaning these guys out so structuring deals much like Livramento and Lavia is sensible

Good, that will screw Chelsea……

3 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Was talking to a man city supporting mate of mine and apparantly Pep doesn’t massively rate Borges who still doesn’t train with the first team so there moght be legs to this

At the end of the day like Lavia, City have a great many talents ln the books and the upcoming change in loan rules means that they’ll need to sell instead of loaning these guys out so structuring deals much like Livramento and Lavia is sensible

What’s the upcoming change of rule?

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What’s the upcoming change of rule?

I thought it had already come in. You can only have a certain amount of players out on loan. So the days of Chelsea having 40-50 players out on loan are long gone. These structured deals with buy backs seem to be the way forward these days. 

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I thought it had already come in. You can only have a certain amount of players out on loan. So the days of Chelsea having 40-50 players out on loan are long gone. These structured deals with buy backs seem to be the way forward these days. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12520895/transfer-news-fifa-announces-radical-new-loan-plans-that-will-limit-clubs-to-six-loan-exits-per-season

I hadn’t heard about this, good news, as you say Chelsea and other sides having 50 players loaned out was a bit ridiculous.

52 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Apparently that’s to get around FFP rules. They amortise the cost over 8 years. 

They're such a shambles though, what if he flops? They're not immune to spending big sums on players and then wanting shot after a year (Lukaku, Havertz, Werner to name a few).

I just hate seeing clubs run like that. No planning on the squad side of it, no thought. This is the sort of behaviour that FFP needs to cut out for the protection of that club as well as the others in the league, but of course they're using loopholes to get around it.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They're such a shambles though, what if he flops? They're not immune to spending big sums on players and then wanting shot after a year (Lukaku, Havertz, Werner to name a few).

I just hate seeing clubs run like that. No planning on the squad side of it, no thought. This is the sort of behaviour that FFP needs to cut out for the protection of that club as well as the others in the league, but of course they're using loopholes to get around it.

When you say no planning? They are are locking in top young talent on very long contracts.  Bit like us but on a hyper level

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

When you say no planning? They are are locking in top young talent on very long contracts.  Bit like us but on a hyper level

No squad planning, even their fans say he's not really required. They need help in CM and CB.

I just think 8 year contracts are just ludicrous, 5 years yep...maybe 6, but 8 is just stupid and such a risk.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

No squad planning, even their fans say he's not really required. They need help in CM and CB.

I just think 8 year contracts are just ludicrous, 5 years yep...maybe 6, but 8 is just stupid and such a risk.

I am certain players like Pulisic, Zyiech etc will be out in the summer, if not before. Throw in Kante, Thiago Silva

They are literally rebuilding their team with massively expensive players, but there some sort of strategy there....

Whether it works or not......

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I had to laugh at a Facebook post from a chelsea fan I know going on about how tough it is to be a chelsea fan but he’ll always love them and watch all their matches. On TV of course not actually go to any games. 

In our life time they’ve won 5 premier leagues, 7 FA Cups, 4 football league cups,  2 champions leagues, 2 Europa leagues, the cup winners cup, the world club cup, had some of the best players on the world. Yeah really tough. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

In our life time they’ve won 5 premier leagues, 7 FA Cups, 4 football league cups,  2 champions leagues, 2 Europa leagues, the cup winners cup, the world club cup, had some of the best players on the world. Yeah really tough. 

Most of it this century. It makes me laugh when you’ve got Oliver Holt, Henry Winter and other twats constantly running them down the past few years. No stability, sack managers too early etc etc. they’re up with city as the most successful club this century. 

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I had to laugh at a Facebook post from a chelsea fan I know going on about how tough it is to be a chelsea fan but he’ll always love them and watch all their matches. On TV of course not actually go to any games. 

The most successful English club over the last 20 years.  That is binning manager's at a drop of a hat too

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Funny, I was driving in the car around full time yesterday and they had a bit of a phone in on the radio, a Chelsea twat was on bemoaning how breathtakingly terrible it was to support Chelsea, they have no stability with sacking managers willy nilly and now are apparently are paying the price for that. It had to be pointed out to him how successful they had been previously but I don’t think it got through, he was just so hard done by.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Apparently that’s to get around FFP rules. They amortise the cost over 8 years. 

Well used NFL tactic, where effectively they pay players for a few years after the playing contract has ended, void years, which helps them get round the salary cap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The self pro-claimed blue tick, he's about as reliable as that other muppet back in the summer who was raving about how the Svanberg deal was completed. 😂

That’s not true though is it, secret scout has been right on 99% of deals for us

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The self pro-claimed blue tick, he's about as reliable as that other muppet back in the summer who was raving about how the Svanberg deal was completed. 😂

Secret Scout clearly has contacts for Chelsea and City youngsters, not sure why anyone would deny it, it’s pretty clear for all to see. 

• Like 2

I am intrigued by the word “amortise”. Can’t find it in a dictionary but I guess it means use “chicanery to cheat and cover up financial skulduggery”? A bit like what did for Pompey?

Chelsea and the like will kill football in the end. They know the price of everything and the value of nothing. 

1 minute ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I am intrigued by the word “amortise”. Can’t find it in a dictionary but I guess it means use “chicanery to cheat and cover up financial skulduggery”? A bit like what did for Pompey?

Chelsea and the like will kill football in the end. They know the price of everything and the value of nothing. 

Not sure if you are joking or not?

But it is a common word  and relates to spreading the cost of an intangible asset over its useful life.  

Perfectly acceptable and used by every single company in the UK. 

All football clubs are required by UK accounting rules to do it. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

It’s a financial term for spreading the cost over x years

• Like 4

It's mental though, that is where the market is. This is a young promising player, from outside Europe's top 5 league, hasn't really proven himself. He's pretty similar to league/experience to us signing Mane. Yet these players are now jumping straight to the bigger clubs for absurd fees.

And PL clubs buying at massively over inflated prices screws it up for us as well, as any foreign club will see 'PL club' and like double the fee they were happy to sell for. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Secret scout is very reliable, seems like you have some sort of weird personal agenda around a bloke you don’t know

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John D said:

But it is a common word  and relates to spreading the cost of an intangible asset over its useful life.  

Yup… and although Im no financial intelligentsia (Im an Engineer) I imagine that Chelsea’s new ‘offer everyone 7/8 yr contracts, is their way of overcoming FFP rules… its an odd system anyway, its only really calculated after the 3/4 year period I think… not sure whether this amortisation actually reduces any spend they may need towards the end of the period ?

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He's just one level below Romano for credibility, the bloke i think is some sort of scout as he was watching youth level eng in portugal and knows all about the young players.

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Chelsea have signed Mudryk for £89 million, on an 8 1/2 year deal! 

A guy that has just 8 caps for Ukraine and has just 12 senior goals, bonkers amount of money. 

Bazaar. If they wanted an exciting  young winger, why didn't they just sign Kvaratskhelia in the summer? He was available for buttons in comparison.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

What sort of dictionary are you using? Perfectly common word, primarily in accounting but in general in English.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

Bazaar. If they wanted an exciting  young winger, why didn't they just sign Kvaratskhelia in the summer? He was available for buttons in comparison.

Cos they dont research players, they just see who everyone else is trying to buy.

Why do they have a recruitment team

Edited by Convict Colony

1 hour ago, John D said:

Thanks. Genuinely never heard of it. I was never in the corporate world. 

6 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

What sort of dictionary are you using? Perfectly common word, primarily in accounting but in general in English.

You are never too old to be educated I guess. Need to download a better dictionary obviously. Anyway basically it’s Chelsea’s way around FFP. Who would have guessed?

• Like 1

West Ham have tabled a £25m bid for Moffi apparently, that should be enough to do it.

Worryingly Everton have also submitted a loan bid for Atalanta striker Duvan Zapatta - who is an absolute beast.

We need to see some concrete links to strikers soon, bit nervous we're going to be where we were on Aug 31st at this rate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

You are never too old to be educated I guess. Need to download a better dictionary obviously. Anyway basically it’s Chelsea’s way around FFP. Who would have guessed?

Your mortgage is / was an 'amortisation' (amortization if you prefer).

I suspect instead of "cheating" per se, it's the equivalent of tax avoidance Vs tax evasion in that it is perfectly acceptable within the rules....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Thanks. Genuinely never heard of it. I was never in the corporate world. 

There's a related French word - amortisseurs - for car shock absorbers. Makes sense. Cushions the blow, takes the force out of it. Which, if you've spent £90M odd on an unproven kid, is probably quite useful.... 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Ah Duncan, therein lies the end of the world.

• Like 1