Man City 4-0 Saints - Match Thread

Turkish

1 hour ago, berkshiresaint said:

I'd go with the following:

AM, Bazunu  & Willy

ABK DCC lyanco Salisu 

AMM  JWP  Diallo

Che 

with this team we may be able to stop Haaland from scoring more than 6 against us. 

Is that Che playing in goal there? Interesting..very interesting. Putting the 3 keepers up front🤔

• Haha 3

I'd go with:

Bazunu

ABK           Caleta-Car           Salisu

KWP              JWP              AMN           Perraud

S.Armstrong         Aribo

Che

• Like 3

In all seriousness, we have got to just go there with a plan and hope that it could pay off, Ralph hasn't done too badly when we've played against teams we know we just need to focus on defending against. Got two points off this lot last season, and although we're probably a worse side this season, we are "capable" of spoiling their afternoon, although incredibly unlikely. (yes I am aware they didnt have Haaland last season!)

----------------Bazunu

-----DCC-------ABK-------Salisu-------

KWP-------JWP---AMN---Diallo-------Larios

--------------Elyounoussi---

-------------- Armstrong----------

You could probably swap a few of these in and out, but maybe sticking in the City kids might make them go easy on us....

Armstrong up top on his own to do the "Long" job. Elyounoussi to try and be the link man if we can get hold of the ball at all.  It's a 1 off game, we're all expecting us to lose a minimum of 5-0 probably...one to keep the goal diff down and hope for the best.

I may be wrong but fairly sure some of our better results against them have come with a 4-2-2-2, theory being that if you play loads of defensive players and sit back with no counter threat it is just inevitable that they score.

53 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

We are between 18 and 22-1 with various bookies to win Saturday if anyone feels so inclined 😇🤣

Ever hopeful Saints fan: "...so if I put £10 on at 22-1, that means I could win £220?!"

Realist: "...no, it means you'll win nothing." 🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

In all seriousness, we have got to just go there with a plan and hope that it could pay off, Ralph hasn't done too badly when we've played against teams we know we just need to focus on defending against. Got two points off this lot last season, and although we're probably a worse side this season, we are "capable" of spoiling their afternoon, although incredibly unlikely. (yes I am aware they didnt have Haaland last season!)

----------------Bazunu

-----DCC-------ABK-------Salisu-------

KWP-------JWP---AMN---Diallo-------Larios

--------------Elyounoussi---

-------------- Armstrong----------

You could probably swap a few of these in and out, but maybe sticking in the City kids might make them go easy on us....

Armstrong up top on his own to do the "Long" job. Elyounoussi to try and be the link man if we can get hold of the ball at all.  It's a 1 off game, we're all expecting us to lose a minimum of 5-0 probably...one to keep the goal diff down and hope for the best.

Interesting last season 0-0 draw we had Bednarek and Stephens centre back pairing and I think McCarthy in goal ....

35 minutes ago, Appy said:

Haaland subbed off at half time. 

He’ll be well rested 

lets hope they don't have the luxury of subbing him at half time against us. Wouldn't be surprised if they did. If they start with Álvarez I'll still be worried.

Famous last words, but I’m hopeful that we’ll put in a reasonable defensive account if Ralph sets us up right and chooses our best defence.

You’d think that Salisu, CC and BK have enough about them to keep things respectable. 

Would feel more confident if we still had Romeu though.

• Like 3

I'm not expecting anything except a defeat, and hope we keep the score down. However, there is the fact that they didn't beat us last season either home or away, so there is a straw to cling to ... for a few minutes at least.

Other straws include that we got thumped by Chelsea at home last season and beat them this season ...

55 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/06/manchester-city-erling-haalands-mind-blowing-weekly-salary-revealed-17518743/

So Haaland is on 900,000 per week. I appreciate he is a generational talent but football is sick and broken. I’m not sure what you do as a club in this environment to stand a chance against the super clubs.

I remember the days when we were on an unstoppable March to the champions league with our team of academy graduates who would never leave us as they’d want to be part of our special journey. What went wrong?

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/06/manchester-city-erling-haalands-mind-blowing-weekly-salary-revealed-17518743/

So Haaland is on 900,000 per week. I appreciate he is a generational talent but football is sick and broken. I’m not sure what you do as a club in this environment to stand a chance against the super clubs.

The finances in football have been going out of control for many years, the nonsense of FFP has just gone to serve the clubs who were at the top of the table when it came in. 

When you are owned by states, such as Man City, PSG, Newcastle, money doesn't matter. They just print more money back home when they want some extra fun. This is the first season where it looks like Man City are creating a bit of a mini league. They may have a dip, but to be honest no one seems to be able to touch them.

But saying that, they haven't played us yet. That'll be their biggest test.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man City 4-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic