James Ward-Prowse

Roger

37 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Explains why he's literally been no where near the squad if there are two genuine transfer bids hanging around.

Or hes got an injury, hence why he wasn't playing golf with everyone, but was actually there. 

42 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Leicester have made an offer as well? That's new news.

Explains why he's literally been no where near the squad if there are two genuine transfer bids hanging around.

Well that is nonsense. He was at the Swansea, Cardiff and game tonight with the squad. He was also in gym sessions in training galleries. He just may not be ready for contact sessions on the pitch yet.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Aston Villa are expected to pursue a deal for Norwich's English midfielder Todd Cantwell, 23, if Grealish completes his £100m move to Etihad Stadium. (Sky Sports)I know it's Sky Sports but perhaps Villa not 100% after JWP

Completely different players. Cantwell is a winger. JWP is a CM. 

11 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I thought Cantwell is a CM, dont recall him playing as a winger.

Left winger, who’s playing in the 10, I believe. Didn’t watch him last season though, so perhaps he’s been played more centrally? 

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Left winger, who’s playing in the 10, I believe. Didn’t watch him last season though, so perhaps he’s been played more centrally? 

Fair enough, last time I saw him was when they were last in the prem, always thought he was a CM. Certainly no Grealish replacement.

13 hours ago, Chez said:

Maybe. Its worth considering that Ings would probably have had to take a huge cut in wages should we be relegated.  Moving to Villa perhaps reduces that possibility and thus guarantees the full £100k a week wages over the entire contract. Wage security may have been a factor. Maybe not.

I wouldn't bet against Villa going down.

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

“he is our player for another year, there is no reason to sell.”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19450498.amp/

'No reason to sell', 'we'd love him to be here' doesn't really equate to not for sale at any price in my eyes. 

The main thrust of the article from Ralph is sending a message of how unideal the situation is, so would he please sign a deal.

11 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

'No reason to sell', 'we'd love him to be here' doesn't really equate to not for sale at any price in my eyes. 

The main thrust of the article from Ralph is sending a message of how unideal the situation is, so would he please sign a deal.

Exactly.

You have to be as thick as pigshit to think that we ever said that he was definitely staying to the end of contract. Pretty obvious we wouldn't let that happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Exactly.

You have to be as thick as pigshit to think that we ever said that he was definitely staying to the end of contract. Pretty obvious we wouldn't let that happen.

I agree. Clearly that wasn’t going to happen. So yes, despite what Ralph said, we did have a reason to sell. 

51 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Exactly what we were told about ings 🤣

28 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

When did the club commit definitively to let him run down his contract and leave on a free?

25 minutes ago, SKD said:

“he is our player for another year, there is no reason to sell.”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19450498.amp/

I don't think @SKD and @Mr X understand what 'commit definitively' means.

When Ralph said 'he is our player for another year' he was referring to the year left on his contract. At the time there may not have been a reason to sell, but things change, for example a club offering £30m for a 29 year old with 1 year left. It is a struggle to think of any players in the last year of their contract who have been sold for £30m.

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

I agree. Clearly that wasn’t going to happen. So yes, despite what Ralph said, we did have a reason to sell. 

You're the one using that quote as evidence that the club definitively said we were going to let him run his contract down. 

1 minute ago, SKD said:

It is a negotiation, in any potential business transaction it is good practice not to show your hand. I wouldn't believe very much that comes from Ralph's mouth while the transfer window is open and I am fairly relaxed about that. I would be less relaxed about letting JWP go for a unacceptable amount. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

You're the one using that quote as evidence that the club definitively said we were going to let him run his contract down. 

Was more in reference to them giving false hope, probably quoted the wrong post. 

I think we all agree that as soon as he wasn’t going to sign, we needed to Sell and 30m isn’t a bad deal. 

Him going to villa, further demonstrating our lack of ambition and inability to compete in this league, is a very bitter pill to taste. 

The worst thing is, i’m not even shocked. 

5 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

It is a negotiation, in any potential business transaction it is good practice not to show your hand. I wouldn't believe very much that comes from Ralph's mouth while the transfer window is open and I am fairly relaxed about that. I would be less relaxed about letting JWP go for a unacceptable amount. 

I have a bridge to sell and I see many potential buyers on this forum

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Him going to villa, further demonstrating our lack of ambition and inability to compete in this league, is a very bitter pill to taste. 

No it doesn't! 🙄

All it shows is we can't compete with Aston Villa on wages and transfer fees, not the rest of the league. An Aston Villa with rich owners who are investing and about to sell a player for £100m. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I don't think @SKD and @Mr X understand what 'commit definitively' means.

When Ralph said 'he is our player for another year' he was referring to the year left on his contract. At the time there may not have been a reason to sell, but things change, for example a club offering £30m for a 29 year old with 1 year left. It is a struggle to think of any players in the last year of their contract who have been sold for £30m.

So you agree, that if an offer we ‘can’t turn down’ comes in, JWP will Also likely leave? 

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

So you agree, that if an offer we ‘can’t turn down’ comes in, JWP will Also likely leave? 

With respect, Ings had expressed a desire to leave whereas Ward-Prowse has (to the best of our knowledge) not so the situations are not really comparable. 

I kinda think what Villa did was similar to what happened when we asked for Neco Williams back in January. We made the enquiry, and then Pool said "how about Minamino on loan instead", and then we just accepted it.

Villa came to us and said "we bid £25m for JWP", and we must have turned around and said "not for sale, but you can have Ings for £30m if that is your budget", and then just like that the sale went through.

• Like 1

All of our players are for sale if we get the right offer. That's the reality of having a disinterested and/or financially impotent ownership. It's just how it is for Saints at the moment. We don't make money without profit on player sales and we have a large loan we need to pay off or refinance on the books now as well.

We will plan to sell a couple of players each summer to raise money. This summer, I expect we plan to sell Vest and if Ings wouldn't sign a new deal then selling him was the right thing to do.

I doubt we actively plan to sell JWP this summer because his value should continue to rise if he has another good season, and now we've already sold a player for a good amount, plus got rid of some deadwood, but if someone comes in with 50/60/70 million etc. then I've no doubt we will let him speak to them.

14 minutes ago, benjii said:

All of our players are for sale if we get the right offer. That's the reality of having a disinterested and/or financially impotent ownership. It's just how it is for Saints at the moment. We don't make money without profit on player sales and we have a large loan we need to pay off or refinance on the books now as well.

We will plan to sell a couple of players each summer to raise money. This summer, I expect we plan to sell Vest and if Ings wouldn't sign a new deal then selling him was the right thing to do.

I doubt we actively plan to sell JWP this summer because his value should continue to rise if he has another good season, and now we've already sold a player for a good amount, plus got rid of some deadwood,but if someone comes in with 50/60/70 million etc. then I've no doubt we will let him speak to them.

Every teams players are for sale at the right price not sure it has anything to do with owners/ownership.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Every teams players are for sale at the right price not sure it has anything to do with owners/ownership.

OK, put it this way: our "right price " is generally market value for anyone decent, so a buying club just has to make a fair offer. Whereas - to take an extreme example - Man City aren't going to accept a "fair" offer from Man U for their best player, it would have to be an outrageous offer. We have zero clout because everyone knows we actively want/need to sell at least one of our best players every summer. 

4 minutes ago, benjii said:

OK, put it this way: our "right price " is generally market value for anyone decent, so a buying club just has to make a fair offer

Apart from Virgil being a world record fee for a defender, Shaw being a world record fee for a teenager and everyone thinking Ings would probably go for about £20m with only a year left?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, benjii said:

OK, put it this way: our "right price " is generally market value for anyone decent, so a buying club just has to make a fair offer. 

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Apart from Virgil being a world record fee for a defender, Shaw being a world record fee for a teenager and everyone thinking Ings would probably go for about £20m with only a year left?

@Lighthouse knocking on the door of @benjii

knock knock joke GIF

Edited by Matthew Le God

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

I kinda think what Villa did was similar to what happened when we asked for Neco Williams back in January. We made the enquiry, and then Pool said "how about Minamino on loan instead", and then we just accepted it.

Villa came to us and said "we bid £25m for JWP", and we must have turned around and said "not for sale, but you can have Ings for £30m if that is your budget", and then just like that the sale went through.

I’ve actually heard from someone we pushed Ings towards Villa as we knew nobody else was interested.

Since found out that Ings has not been firing on all cylinders during training which probably helped Ralph make a decision to move him on.

Just hope since Sunday we have secured one of our targets.

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

to be fair I wonder if we had Jack Grealish, whether we would have accepted a £70m bid from City as opposed to holding out for £100m, if that is what @benjii is trying to say.

All hypothetical though

In the cold light of day after some contemplation, after an initial shock and horror reaction I have come to the considered opinion that Saints did a piece of good business.

We sold Ings, admittedly a very good striker and our best for a reasonable 25million, but considering he's in his last year of contract and appears injury prone, and probably only has two or three years left 9(perhaps even less) at the highest level it's probably not a bad deal.

It is absolutely pointless trying to keep a player who wants away, if he were unhappy would he have played to his best?

I suspect he is on a very generous wage, as rumour has it that Levy wouldn't meet his demands.

As a bonus we don't have the humiliation of having to sell him to Levy, and can watch the shenaniagans surrounding Kane unfold.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

In the cold light of day after some contemplation, after an initial shock and horror reaction I have come to the considered opinion that Saints did a piece of good business.

We sold Ings, admittedly a very good striker and our best for a reasonable 25million, but considering he's in his last year of contract and appears injury prone, and probably only has two or three years left 9(perhaps even less) at the highest level it's probably not a bad deal.

It is absolutely pointless trying to keep a player who wants away, if he were unhappy would he have played to his best?

I suspect he is on a very generous wage, as rumour has it that Levy wouldn't meet his demands.

As a bonus we don't have the humiliation of having to sell him to Levy, and can watch the shenaniagans surrounding Kane unfold.

Let's look at it this way. If we hadn't taken the offer from Villa, Ings's services for the next season would have cost us over £20m. And that's on top of his wages.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

Exactly this. We've got the best possible outcome from this situation. Thanks for a good three seasons Danny and best of luck against anyone but us. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

Much more likely JWP goes to Leicester as a Madison replacement, if Madison moves to Arsenal IMHO

That's the major threat, Ings has a slim chance of an England place now, his move was all about money and security. Good for him, we'd all do the same in his position, just pull a fetlock against Saints.

JWP is a very different scenario, England actually need him but he needs to show his ability on a higher stage. Leicester are a perfect fit for him and they have a manager who will use him wisely. If Leicester put in a decent bid he'll expect Saints to accept it, my one hope is that with 4 years left on his contact he will be too expensive for everyone except City Utd, and Chelsea and they don't need him.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic