James Ward-Prowse

Roger

2 hours ago, Verbal said:

Has that ever happened?

35 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Semmens has said numerous times that while Gao doesn't put money into the club, he doesn't take money out and that all transfer fees are ploughed back into the club as it is self-sustaining.

normally the club is very quiet about interest in one of our players which obviously leaves any Gao intervention open without making anyone in the board room look stupid. Do you think the owner of a club that needs to balance the books and who himself loaned lots of money from various sources doesnt intervene when a large offer comes in? In the JWP case i think the fact Semmens has put his neck on the line saying the player is not leaving gives me hope

1 minute ago, Bstokesaint said:

normally the club is very quiet about interest in one of our players which obviously leaves any Gao intervention open without making anyone in the board room look stupid. Do you think the owner of a club that needs to balance the books and who himself loaned lots of money from various sources doesnt intervene when a large offer comes in? In the JWP case i think the fact Semmens has put his neck on the line saying the player is not leaving gives me hope

I suppose that it depends on who you believe. Having been to some of the Fans Forums at SMS and listening to the Solent one, I believe and trust Semmens and Co when he says that Gao doesn't interfere and leaves them alone to run the club and that all transfer monies are ploughed back into the business. You may believe something different of course...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bstokesaint said:

So pure speculation then.

Schneiderlin genuinely wanted to leave, in fact demanded to leave and I think was close to basically going on strike. 

JWP has shown no desire to leave and I don't think he'd do a lot to push for a move even if he did. I think he'll only go if we receive the right bid for him and his family from a much bigger club than Villa or if we get relegated. I could also easily see him staying here for his whole career. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Would you be happy for him to go if it meant we signed Delaney, a starting CB and a new keeper?

It shouldn't have to be like this and a club should be able to evolve, but our position is that we can't do that. We seem programmed to expect that we have to sell the tea lady before we can buy a new tea lady etc.

But in this context, based on us getting 45-50m for him. That would afford us an opportunity to get experience at CB, CM a new goalkeeper and maybe a replacement for Moussa. JWP alone would be a miss but if his fee is put to good use it could add what we miss. 

My fear is that we'd target more young players though, as those are seemingly all we can afford.

Contrast his performance with Doucouré, who cost Everton £20 million. One player dug his side out of a hole, tackled, dropped in to attack goal kicks when the centre half was struggling handling Adams, scored, and gave a proper performance. The other one minced about offering no leadership at all. 

Get rid. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 14/08/2021 at 17:14, Disco Stu said:

The club absolutely must not sale JWP and must absolutely bring in a centre half that can get on the end of his corners. Our team looked tame at corners today and we had so many!

Absolutely, we weren't a threat from any of them

4 hours ago, Scummer said:

Interesting tweet from Saints just now about JWP's career with the club. Didn't look like the kind of thing you'd release of a player was about to leave, in fact it was more like a contract extension piece.

Thought the same thing. Surely Saints aren’t that inept?  

Though we are of course talking about a club which can’t even send out season tickets on time !

2 hours ago, musesaint said:

Thought the same thing. Surely Saints aren’t that inept?  

Though we are of course talking about a club which can’t even send out season tickets on time !

And a club that broke our transfer record on a dud that no-one wanted because he was pals with the current manager...who was then fired about a week or so later...

• Like 1

On 14/08/2021 at 17:14, Disco Stu said:

The club absolutely must not sale JWP and must absolutely bring in a centre half that can get on the end of his corners. Our team looked tame at corners today and we had so many!

Yep - someone who is tall and can get on the end of JWP's set pieces. Someone like.....ummm.....Vestegaard at Leicester.....What?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adriansfc said:

And how many did he score from corners? 1 or 2? Stephens went through a phase of scoring a few. Bednarek has rarely been great. 

Our biggest threat from JWPs set pieces was Ings. It's not all about the tallest it's about movement, positioning and how they attack the ball. 

First and foremost let's just try a centre back who isn't shit. 

Yes I agree. I was being ironic! Always thought Vesty was pretty useless in the air considering his height. Anyway as said, I agree with you.

On 17/08/2021 at 00:58, Saint Keef said:

Yep - someone who is tall and can get on the end of JWP's set pieces. Someone like.....ummm.....Vestegaard at Leicester.....What?

Vestergaard for someone his size was not very good in the air, he lost aerial battles to people shorter than him more often than he should have, imo he was never really that aggressive probably because his height sort of allowed him to win a lot of headers by default and he just relied on that. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Don’t really see how we could let him go at this point. Also don’t really feel 50m is some sky high unturndownable sum for England international with long contract.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s probably our best player currently, but I think that says more about us than him. 

50m would easily replace his qualities and some (other than free kicks) + give us a decent kitty to improve other areas winger, GK for example. 

absolutely no way he’s worth 50m or close to be honest and as things stand, he’s not am England international… he didn’t make the squad. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

Get rid, If we still had players of the quality of Schneiderin or Wanyama, he wouldn’t get a look in.  Use the money to rebuild.

Wanyama was despised on this forum 'not fit to wear the shirt' and all that talk 'faking illness and never fit' but now he is suddenly better than JWP who hasn't missed match for two years. Why don't some fans appreciate players while we have them?

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Wanyama was despised on this forum 'not fit to wear the shirt' and all that talk 'faking illness and never fit' but now he is suddenly better than JWP who hasn't missed match for two years. Why don't some fans appreciate players while we have them?

Think I missed that one... 

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

1. That’s bollocks

2. Wanyama was twice the player Prowsey is, and we never did replace him properly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

As I alluded to earlier in this thread, we have a price. I was told it was £40million but that has obviously increased. Make no mistake, if that asking price is met, he leaves. 

For what it’s worth, I’d be seriously considering a £50million offer to be honest. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, LiberalCommunist said:

Everyone who is so happy for us to sell.......but are you all confident we'd invest properly?

I think we've gone too deep to even consider now. We can't even replace Vesti.......

Why do you feel we can’t replace Vesty? We are getting on with it as we speak. If we sign his replacement will you feel stupid for being reactionary?

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic