James Ward-Prowse

Roger

The trouble with JWP is off the ball really. He lacks physicality, aggression and runs like a toddler. The Portugal midfield went past him like a knife through butter the other night.

The only thing he lacks really is pace. He is very slow. That causes a problem because it prevents him from getting close enough to put opponents under pressure, make interception or get tackles in. He works hard, gets behind the ball, but that is it. You have to force errors from opponents by applying pressure when they have the ball. He doesn't do that, making it far too easy for them.

Wanyama, Morgan and Cork have all been amazing at doing this. We lose a little defensively when JWP plays, but if he can make up for it by doing more WITH the ball then perhaps it will be a price worth paying.

was rested, dont think they will do it again though they where lucky to win the game.. missed JWP a lot during game against Sweden, his composure on the ball, his passing, can go as far as to say he holds the under 21 team together and keeps it ticking over tbh

You live in a dream world...he was shocking against Sweden and there are four ahead of him in the squad

I like JwP. but in the last 3-4 months or so he has been largely awful and now dropped from the U21 team.

he has been managed in the media very well though as many default opinion is that he will go on to be like lampard and such like

Not sure Frank Lampard is the best comparison!

A guy who made a career scoring goals from midfield, to a guy who, despite having some good qualities and being technically excellent, literally cannot stick the ball in the net no matter how easy it seems.

Biggest area of his game to work on for me

Plus, Lampard rarely overhit corners.

I like JwP. but in the last 3-4 months or so he has been largely awful and now dropped from the U21 team.

he has been managed in the media very well though as many default opinion is that he will go on to be like lampard and such like

I fear more Neil Maddison/Matt Oakley than Frank Lampard but sincerely hope I'm wrong !

I fear more Neil Maddison/Matt Oakley than Frank Lampard but sincerely hope I'm wrong !

He's still only 20. He might fade, or falter, but there's also a chance he will yet develop into a full England international regular. One of the papers had an article on him recently, as the future England captain.

He's still only 20. He might fade, or falter, but there's also a chance he will yet develop into a full England international regular. One of the papers had an article on him recently, as the future England captain.

I think that is more to do with how he conducts himself and the exposure he gets to the press through the FA and Saints more than anything else.

He's still only 20. He might fade, or falter, but there's also a chance he will yet develop into a full England international regular.

One of the papers had an article on him recently, as the future England captain.

some of us who are a bit longer in the tooth might say that it's not always the best player who gets to be Captain - it's often the best motivator, or "talker" on the pitch.

......" Future England captain" sounds a long way off, but let's see if he gets the nod after José packs it in .....

The only thing he lacks is the ability to score goals - his goal-scoring record for us is truly shocking.

It really isn't the only thing he lacks. Without coming over all Spanish Inquisition, his weaknesses include pace, tacking ability, goals and defensive positioning. However, on the plus side he is apparently a top class impersonator, a dead ringer for Nige.

It really isn't the only thing he lacks. Without coming over all Spanish Inquisition, his weaknesses include pace, tacking ability, goals and defensive positioning. However, on the plus side he is apparently a top class impersonator, a dead ringer for Nige.

Bearing in mind your staunch defence of another player most of those criticisms can be levelled at, I find your dismissal of JWP rather odd.

Wasnt he dropped from the U21 side last night ?

I saw JWP in the England team hotel in olomouc before the sweden match and he just ignored me as the team walked past to get on the coach. Looked very ****ed off not to be playing to be fair, the rest of the team seemed far more upbeat. Target was a bit shocked I knew who he was when he stopped and had a brief chat with me.

I'm going to be at the Italy game tomorrow night so hopefully JWP will be as nice as target was on Sunday and say hello to a fellow Saint.

• 3 weeks later...

Its always a "big" season for every player, but JWP definitely has something to prove IMO. His 4th PL season, and whilst he is still young, he hasn't improved massively in that time in terms of influence on the game.

Still not in my first choice XI. Personally feel he would be better served if the club reduced the hype around him a little until he has earned it.

Its always a "big" season for every player, but JWP definitely has something to prove IMO. His 4th PL season, and whilst he is still young, he hasn't improved massively in that time in terms of influence on the game.

Still not in my first choice XI. Personally feel he would be better served if the club reduced the hype around him a little until he has earned it.

How many 20 year olds can you name that are regular starters for top half teams in the Premier League?

How many 20 year olds can you name that are regular starters for top half teams in the Premier League?

I think this will be the season that JWPs media managed profile will come under intense scrutiny. It will no longer be enough for him to be young, have potential and "technical skills" with a dead ball.

A great talent imo. I look forward to seeing him realise his potential this year. Although he has another year or two of physical development before we see his full impact.

Interesting to see the photo of a young Morgan Schniederlin and how much he developed physically, and what that did for his game.

A great talent imo. I look forward to seeing him realise his potential this year. Although he has another year or two of physical development before we see his full impact.

Interesting to see the photo of a young Morgan Schniederlin and how much he developed physically, and what that did for his game.

Well, we've been saying that every year since he broke into the team. He has developed a lot physically in terms of bulk but he still lacks aggression and his general pace and athleticism isn't up to much.

His progession and development with England wasn't exactly helped by Southgate only playing him for 45 mins at the Euros, in favour of players which will obviously have no future with England like Chalobah or Hughes.

Well to be fair he was kind of atrocious in the first game and got dropped for the other 2.

Needs to step up to the plate for Saints straightaway this season or be loaned out to gain in leadership and responsibility.

Well to be fair he was kind of atrocious in the first game and got dropped for the other 2.

Needs to step up to the plate for Saints straightaway this season or be loaned out to gain in leadership and responsibility.

And everyone else had a good game ? England never conceded until he was subbed !

Feel like I'm in a parallel universe where for a change we as fans are actually playing down the quality of one of our players, whilst the rest of the country is hyping them up. Usually I'm saying how [...] is good enough to play for England and being laughed at, whereas I find myself saying to people if JWP was called up to the senior England side then I'd be a bit disappointed as I don't think he's really done a lot. I do like him however, and I do think there is a lot more to come, I just find his inability to score from open play a real irritation, especially when him and Steven Davis are playing in the same 11. Hopefully once he gets the first from open play then they will start flowing, to be fair to him I don't see him miss the target all that often, just hit them straight at a keeper or defender instead.

• 2 months later...
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse locked this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic