Saints 1-3 Brighton - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Hopefully Adam Armstrong and A-MN out of the squad. If we’re going to do the three CB disaster, then please god bring in Caleta-Carr instead of Lyanco.  He needs to find room for Aribo, S Armstrong and Edozie. 

Expecting absolutely nothing. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

4-4-2

Mara - Adams

Aribo - Lavia - JWP -Armstrong

Peraud - DCC- ABK - KWP

McCarthy

Fast passing, no crab football, shoot when inside 20 yards 

Bazunu in goal for me, and Salisu rather than ABK who looked unfit last night. Otherwise your team. Although there's a case for Edozie over Aribo,  I'd have him off the bench. 

34 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I’d probably go 451 just because I can’t countenance starting a.armstrong/Mara or Walcott.

hopefully we recall tella and sign someone new quickly.

Bazanu

Kwp abk salisu perraud

edozie jwp Lavia Armstrong djenepo

adams

Would be my team as well. We dont have the depth in quality with our strikers to go with two up top. Would rather we packed the midfield and gave Edozie and Djenepo some freedom. Maybe DCC for Salisu but not bothered either way

Edited by woodsaint1

I wonder if we’ll see the diamond/433.

Bazunu

KWP    ABK     Salisu.  Perraud

Lavia

JWP          Armstrong

Elyo

Adams      Aribo

Who knows though. Jones doesn’t seem shy of changing and adapting so will be interesting to see. 

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Im sure the meltdown on their forum hasnt reached SWF levels

I've often wondered this  - does anyone ever look at other teams' boards? Particularly in-match threads? Are other teams subject to the same hysteria and criticism that Saints players are blessed with, often within minutes of the kick-off and before any sort of pattern of play has developed, by their own 'supporters'?

I know I'm old, and not really au fait with the real meaning behind this social media stuff - perhaps they're all just trying to wind me up - but is it a general trait amongst football fans on forums everywhere?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piran said:

I've often wondered this  - does anyone ever look at other teams' boards? Particularly in-match threads? Are other teams subject to the same hysteria and criticism that Saints players are blessed with, often within minutes of the kick-off and before any sort of pattern of play has developed, by their own 'supporters'?

I know I'm old, and not really au fait with the real meaning behind this social media stuff - perhaps they're all just trying to wind me up - but is it a general trait amongst football fans on forums everywhere?

I can’t imagine any reason why we’d be any different to any other set of fans, given our consistently poor results, overall, since 2016.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piran said:

Just had a look: https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/charlton-athletic-vs-brighton-hove-albion-official-match-thread.398266/page-24

"Ah well, hopefully a good warm up for the real stuff on Monday.

I would take getting knocked out of the Micky Mouse cup first round every season if it means we then stuff the scummers."

🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Piran said:

Go on grand old team Everton forum or spurs forum .. it’s far far worse 

• Like 2

Everyone putting Lavia in when it seems pretty obvious he isn't going to be fit for the next run of games.

Imagine he will start with 3CBs and then change to a back four once it inevitably doesn't work.

This is a massive one really, simply have to start winning or its going to look bleak.

It maybe a sell out in principal but don't be surprised if more than a few fans succumb to turkey lunch in front of the telly, with a glass of port in one hand and the cranberry sauce jar in the other. Cold turkey might feel a whole lot more attractive than watching free-ranging headless chickens running around a field come Boxing Day.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

11 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Just had a look: https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/charlton-athletic-vs-brighton-hove-albion-official-match-thread.398266/page-24

"Ah well, hopefully a good warm up for the real stuff on Monday.

I would take getting knocked out of the Micky Mouse cup first round every season if it means we then stuff the scummers."

🤣

Am I missing something? Since when was there a rivalry between us? Surely they're not still bent out of shape about Nigel Adkins?

Gav

kwp         Cc.          Sali            Perraud

Diallo             Jwp

s Armstrong         Moi               Edoize 

Adams 

I think they will swarm all over us, take an early lead and we will just huff and puff with little to no imaginative football. 

Really hope I am wrong. I also hope the long balls from the back we deployed against Lincoln are at a minimum. 3-1 Brighton I reckon.

Edited by Mr Nimbus

38 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Gav

kwp         Cc.          Sali            Perraud

Diallo             Jwp

s Armstrong         Moi               Edoize 

Adams 

Please no. Diallo has repeatedly shown he is incapable of playing that role.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Am I missing something? Since when was there a rivalry between us? Surely they're not still bent out of shape about Nigel Adkins?

I used to work with a Brighton season ticket holder, would bang on all the time they were biggest team on South Coast, bigger crowds than us, better ground, he hated Pompey as well to be fair but called us Scummers and clearly thought there was a rivalry. His son supported Brighton and West Ham as grew up during their era in lower leagues, sums them up. 

7 minutes ago, Rut said:

Brighton are pretty shit. Def in a fake position in the table. They'll drop just as quickly as <insert what you think drops quickly here>.

Saints 3 Brighton 0.

Early goal and an easy win.

Fraser Forster diving down to stop a shot at...  oh wait no, sorry I've got that joke wrong. 

45 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

God we could use some of the players out of that team at the moment. 

Yep. 2012 Jack Cork would be straight in for me, Lallana and lambert too. 2012 Fonte probably gets a game too though he was a bit error prone, his first season in the PL was a massive breakthrough in terms of quality and consistency. Interesting that Schneiderlin wasn’t in the starting team, IIRC he had quite a few games from the bench that season as we had Hammond as skipper and Jack Cork very much a favourite. 

Guly would obviously get minutes due to his contract agreement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Please no. Diallo has repeatedly shown he is incapable of playing that role.

Lavia is not available and Amn should be no where near the 1st 11 after the imps horror show !.  so Diallo gets another chance! If he gets his foot in and hoovers up 2nd balls he’ll be fine. 

We were dire against Lincoln absolutely dire but we ground out the result including an offside goal and a clear hand ball that the ref never gave against us, so maybe lady luck is starting to find us attractive! What the heck let's go 3-0 saints! they owe us a boxing day bargain 

Please Jones no Elyonoussi dejenepo or Adam Armstrong! 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-3 Brighton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic