Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

We're always going to get good saves from Pickford today, just inevitable. We don't create much as it is, but then he'll save the few opportunities we do.

This has an inevitable feel about it, and sadly if it ends like this the curtain on our PL life is halfway down.

1 minute ago, egg said:

Yep. KWP has been shit. Adams ditto. Give the criticism where it's deserved. 

Moi being played out of position, this is more of a back 5 than 433, hes that deep. 

anyone watching could easily tell that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Yep, poor performance from all of those 3. Edozie has got talents but just not productive anything. Adams has got a job on against those defenders on his own, but he’s not really making a good fist of it.

Dammit JWP, close.

chance set up by Edozie, with a lovely early pass.

• Like 1

Adam Armstrong and mara gave us so much more movement and pace vs city. Both taken off and rested during that game, both benched today. Che Adams should be dropped playing the way we are now, he just doesn't offer the movement or finishing required. Poor from jones really, he chose a the team and its a must win game. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Moi being played out of position, this is more of a back 5 than 433, hes that deep. 

Indeed. If people are watching it beggars belief that they think he's playing on the wing. It's an in/out role deepish on the right. That said, I'd stretch the play with Djenepo on that side playing higher up the pitch. 

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

They have Pickford, we have Bazunu. What a difference a quality keeper makes. Not blaming Bazunu for todays goal but he's not making that save.

I think it’s fair to blame him for that, partly. Shouldn’t be facing a free header but his positioning is awful. Most prem keepers get to that IMO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

The one positive to come out of that half is JWP looks much more effective playing higher up the field. 

Particularly first 30 mins or so he was really far forward, often almost playing off of and beyond Adams. A good position for him if we can get the other bits right.

A reasonable start to the game and some bright spots but the press isn’t as effective as it was against City, giving Everton too much time. Poor goal to concede from but we’ve had chances.

Edited by The Kraken

Frustrating game. Essentially been extremely scrappy. Chances pretty even (us JWP & Salisu) chances, them (goal & bazanu spill) but our weakness from set pieces killing us.

Hopefully we get a HT change getting Elyounessi off or moving him into the centre and taking diallo off. A.Armstrong on.

I'd love Romeu to be around to clatter Onana who has been excellent for them. Maybe Lyanco can drift in and do it.

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ah normal Saturday service resumed.

Onto the next one. (I know there’s still a half left but we know it’s over, they’re way more physical than we ever will be).

Villa is a must win!

it's far from over. Everton are turd. If we can get our game going, we can easily get back in this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

That’s not how it was set out at the start and for the first 10/15 mins, anyone watching could easily tell that 

Looking very much like 4 league games 4 defeats to teams around us.
The cup game was special, but Jones is once again showing incapable of making the right decisions.

He is unable to see that a Moi/Adams/Edozie front line is totally ineffective. Yet keeps sending out the same team.

Why did we sign Orsic and not play him? Is he not considered as good as Edozie / Moi?

Fully expect the same team second half. Failure to win today and we'll be starting to drop off the bottom and it's a long way back....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Because he can't get up and down quickly enough. He seems like a good lad but he's utterly pointless. Half the player of Nathan Redmond, for example.

• Like 2

The shape and approach to the game is correct, having 3 and pushing JWP further up 'works'. Our problem today has been the horrendous quality in that final third. Adams/Edozie are not pressing, winning the ball or doing anything of note.

Elyounoussi has been restricted in his role, but he struggles to then escape further up field as he's so slow, whereas Moussa had the legs to push higher.

So, tactically it's not all wrong, it's the personal that is wrong. Mara may have been tired after the Weds game (he's a young kid Afterall), but it just shows up the lack of quality in the squad. I know Jones speaks about ''we may not get a number 9'', but that is exactly what we need - a competent number 9 who is able to hold the ball up, because without that then we're toast already.

• Like 3

I said this over Xmas, if we didn’t get a striker in at the start of the window, before the Nottm Forest match, we’d probably get nothing from the remaining 4 winnable games before we head into Feb/March and tackle teams in the top half of the table.

I don’t know how a board of so-called football experts couldn’t see we have nobody capable of scoring a goal and couldn’t have an striker and attacking options completed before or within the first few days of the window when we needed them most.

Even the most positive of supporter must see there is no escape from relegation if we end up losing this match, EVEN if we end up bringing in a striker to score us a few goals, our winnable games have been pissed away, just all too reactive when we should have been proactive in the summer or at latest EARLY January. We’ll have gifted all teams we are fighting around us 3pts from our games against us and that is criminal. 7 league losses or is it more potentially in a row, no team survives from that.

Makes me sad and angry at the same time.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

I'm watch and I don't see that at all. Lyanco is playing right back. Its four at the back not five.

• Like 1

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

That’s not how it was set out at the start and for the first 10/15 mins, anyone watching could easily tell that 

Correct, but half way through the first half it changed. 

Coincidently our best chance came from when Moi was playing higher, with a deflected shot which on another day lands on Adams head. 

Blame Moi as much as you want, something has changed, he’s now playing a hybrid wing back role (not very well granted, but that’s not his position), but this is on the manager. 

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Watching the game donut…. You ? 

Then explain what Ely hasn't done that you expect someone playing his role to do, and what he's done wrong. KWP, Adams, Edozie have all been worse. 

I'm not going to single out Ely, but our entire front line has been completely ineffective so far. They haven't created anything yet, and they make it far too easy for the Everton defenders to play out and set up an attack.

I don't get Jones' thinking. He finally dropped the players that have been underperforming all season on Wednesday and it worked. So why on Earth would he bring them back in again for an even more important game? We've even got two new lads on the bench but he still sticks with the players that should be nowhere near the pitch. Baffling. If we lose this (which we're obviously going to - it's Everton away) it's all on the manager. 

Why change a fucking winning team! Drop both goalscorers. Bring back out of form Elyounoussi. Leave out our new forward. I'm so pissed off right now. I was starting to feel some confidence again. What was I thinking?

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

Don't see that at all. Lyanco is definitely playing RB. Elyounessi has just been absymal as a right sided forward. Not as if you can point ot stellar work defensively he has done. He's just been a spectator apart from when he's getting owned by Mykalenko.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

it's far from over. Everton are turd. If we can get our game going, we can easily get back in this.

Agreed. Pretty even half where a mistake seem to cost us, as usual. 

We could, maybe should, be ahead based on the chances. Pickford been the busier of the 2 keepers. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic