Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

3 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

How poor is Bazunu? That was nowhere near in the corner and he got nowhere near it. 

Can’t think of any other way to say nowhere near. 

I thought it was a very good header... Powerful and into the ground thus making it difficult for the keeper to judge. Unlike Salisu's earlier effort which, by contrast, was an easy save for Pickford 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

Then explain what Ely hasn't done that you expect someone playing his role to do, and what he's done wrong. KWP, Adams, Edozie have all been worse. 

Like I said, no point in explaining if you have to ask that question. If he is doing enough for you as part of the 3 then spot on 

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Don't see that at all. Lyanco is definitely playing RB. Elyounessi has just been absymal as a right sided forward. Not as if you can point ot stellar work defensively he has done. He's just been a spectator apart from when he's getting owned by Mykalenko.

He’s man marking Mykalenko who’s playing really high. 

agree to disagree, but I think We can probably all agree that we need to get our wingers higher up the pitch this half. 

As it happens I would bring him off for the Croatian lad, but I’d also hook Edozie and Adams whilst I’m at it 

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm not going to single out Ely, but our entire front line has been completely ineffective so far. They haven't created anything yet, and they make it far too easy for the Everton defenders to play out and set up an attack.

I don't get Jones' thinking. He finally dropped the players that have been underperforming all season on Wednesday and it worked. So why on Earth would he bring them back in again for an even more important game? We've even got two new lads on the bench but he still sticks with the players that should be nowhere near the pitch. Baffling. If we lose this (which we're obviously going to - it's Everton away) it's all on the manager. 

I can understand wanting to freshenthings up given they've had a week to prepare whereas we've had 3 days. It's the MOI one in particular i don't get he's got no attributes to play that role and Djenepo came off after an hour anyway so should be fresher than players who played 90 minutes.

Just now, Saint86 said:

Grim. Everton are shit, and yet they are still far better than us apparently. 

Not on the game, to be fair. They're been pretty shit, but we gave them a free header in the box. Apart from that they've not really caused us many difficulties, the shape has been good and we've kept them at arms length, that's what makes it so frustrating and why there is an inevitable feel about it all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Looking very much like 4 league games 4 defeats to teams around us.
The cup game was special, but Jones is once again showing incapable of making the right decisions.

He is unable to see that a Moi/Adams/Edozie front line is totally ineffective. Yet keeps sending out the same team.

Why did we sign Orsic and not play him? Is he not considered as good as Edozie / Moi?

Fully expect the same team second half. Failure to win today and we'll be starting to drop off the bottom and it's a long way back....

Fair points, but its not all Jones' fault. The players out there simply ain't doing it. Salisu has been shite, the two central midfielders have given the ball away far too often and yes, the front three selected haven't done enough ether.

If we lose, Jone's will certainly deserve some stick for changing a winning side, and he will get it, but some of these players should be slated too. 

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Like I said, no point in explaining if you have to ask that question. If he is doing enough for you as part of the 3 then spot on 

You’re missing the point, from 15/20 mins in he hasn’t been playing as part of the 3. I’m sure a heat map, if anyone can obtain one, would show that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I cannot believe somebody is spending their Saturday afternoon defending Elyounoussi

You miss the point. I'm asking anyone who's watched today to explain what he's done wrong today. Dinlos who can't explain boil my piss. If people have an opinion, explain it, or keep quiet. 

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

You miss the point. I'm asking anyone who's watched today to explain what he's done wrong today. Dinlos who can't explain boil my piss. If people have an opinion, explain it, or keep quiet. 

have you watched us play in the last 18 months? nobody should need to spell this one out for you

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

I think it’s fair to blame him for that, partly. Shouldn’t be facing a free header but his positioning is awful. Most prem keepers get to that IMO

Yep. We should be blaming Bazuna. Drives me crazy. 

that should be a stop for your average PL goalkeeper. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

He’s man marking Mykalenko who’s playing really high. 

agree to disagree, but I think We can probably all agree that we need to get our wingers higher up the pitch this half. 

As it happens I would bring him off for the Croatian lad, but I’d also hook Edozie and Adams whilst I’m at it 

As I said above, I'd replace him with Djenepo to push their LB back and give a bit more going forward. It's a tactical change with a player coming on better suited to that role. I'd bring the Croatian fella on down the left. I'd also like to see Alcaraz for Diallo at some point. There's options if Jones is willing to be braver. 

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Can the Ely knockers who've actually watched explain what they're seeing him do wrong? He's playing just ahead of Lyanco, not just off Che, but getting forward where he can. He's clearly been given a thankless role. 

Trying to be kind but he's on a different wavelength to the better players around him! All good and well having a top class striker but when you have the likes of Elyounossi and Diallo behind you your going to be left shaking your head!!

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

I thought it was a very good header... Powerful and into the ground thus making it difficult for the keeper to judge. Unlike Salisu's earlier effort which, by contrast, was an easy save for Pickford 

I can see why you may have thought that, but upon replay you’ll see it wasn’t that good. He headed it down but nowhere near the corner. Very poor goakeeping, but as others have said it’s going forward which is our biggest problem, not Baz. 

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The shape and approach to the game is correct, having 3 and pushing JWP further up 'works'. Our problem today has been the horrendous quality in that final third. Adams/Edozie are not pressing, winning the ball or doing anything of note.

Elyounoussi has been restricted in his role, but he struggles to then escape further up field as he's so slow, whereas Moussa had the legs to push higher.

So, tactically it's not all wrong, it's the personal that is wrong. Mara may have been tired after the Weds game (he's a young kid Afterall), but it just shows up the lack of quality in the squad. I know Jones speaks about ''we may not get a number 9'', but that is exactly what we need - a competent number 9 who is able to hold the ball up, because without that then we're toast already.

Allied to this, a 9 with the athleticism to play twice in a week. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic