Saints 0-1 Aston Villa

whelk

22 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Just did a premier league predictor, thought I was being quite pessimistic but I had us finishing safe on 44 points. As always with those its difficult to predict where the lower sides will pull the shock results so I had West Ham, Everton and Bournemouth going down all with less than 27 points!

Like it. But that puts on the sort of form that teams have to qualify for playing in Europe. Much to be done, but positive signs. Next match against a form team will be a good signifier of progress. 

Personally i'd go with the following:

---------------Bazunu------------------
Lyanco-----DCC---Salisu--------KWP
---------Lavia--------Diallo-----------
-Elyounoussi---JWP--------Armstrong
--------------Adams-------------

Id be relatively happy if any of Edozie, Djenepo or Orsic (if hes ready) start.  Nice to have some options rather than just trying to find 11 that won't be shite. Confidence plays such a big part.

• Like 2

Credit to NJ for the last week. I was at the Everton game and it has been a while since we've come back and ground out a win like that.

It will be interesting long-term to see how we line up in midfield. Alcaraz seems to play in Prowsey's role, but would be a shame to have to move JWP back. I still think Diallo is a complete liability on the ball, so can't see his place lasting forever.

Would be nice to have a new striker to lean on for this game, but realistically I think it will go down to the deadline.

12 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Credit to NJ for the last week. I was at the Everton game and it has been a while since we've come back and ground out a win like that.

It will be interesting long-term to see how we line up in midfield. Alcaraz seems to play in Prowsey's role, but would be a shame to have to move JWP back. I still think Diallo is a complete liability on the ball, so can't see his place lasting forever.

Would be nice to have a new striker to lean on for this game, but realistically I think it will go down to the deadline.

No way can we shift JWP back because a) he is so ineffective there and b) we'd lose what we are getting from playing him further forward. It simply mustn't happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Like it. But that puts on the sort of form that teams have to qualify for playing in Europe. Much to be done, but positive signs. Next match against a form team will be a good signifier of progress. 

Under Ralph didn't we regularly have half the season with relegation form and half the season with top half form? Until last season of course when we were just crap.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Not quite sure why the club persists with prioritising other positions before the striker position when its clear thats whats been needed ever since ings left

Of course i understand that every club wants that proven goal scorer and there is huge competition for them often from clubs that can pay more but it ready should have been sorted way before now... it will be part of the reason why we go down if we cant get one in! 

18 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Not quite sure why the club persists with prioritising other positions before the striker position when its clear thats whats been needed ever since ings left

Of course i understand that every club wants that proven goal scorer and there is huge competition for them often from clubs that can pay more but it ready should have been sorted way before now... it will be part of the reason why we go down if we cant get one in! 

Problem solved, JWP is our new striker! 

Realistically no striker is going to match his tally of goals this season.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Interesting picking out 100% record with Lavia, Diallo and JWP

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/nathan-jones-chelsea-ibrahima-diallo-8035536

Guess Adams likely to be first choice over Mara, but could be either. 

Either side any combination of Djenepo, Orsic, Ely, Edozie, Armstrong. 

With three wins with three starting 11s time for him to use which combination suits fitness and opposition

7 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Get the players doing it before kick off instead of group hug / huddle 🤣

That is actually horrific. I've seen the football versions of it as well and they're so bad its unreal - there are some pretty funny/cringe videos of MLS football chants

Edited by Saint86

7 hours ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

I'm not sure whether we really need that many points to be safe this year. we're 2 points from 14th place (17points), all those teams can't go on stellar runs of form to hit the mid/upper 30's surely? And if they do all manage to take that many points, chances are someone else has done terrible?

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I'm not sure whether we really need that many points to be safe this year. we're 2 points from 14th place (17points), all those teams can't go on stellar runs of form to hit the mid/upper 30's surely? And if they do all manage to take that many points, chances are someone else has done terrible?

I agree. 36 points should do it according to the premier league average. So 7 wins, or a combination of wins and draws to reach the total. Starting with Villa, there 8 matches against teams in the bottom half by the time we play Fulham, Brighton and Liverpool. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

What we lack is 3 teams noticeably weaker than us this season but.... Everton are looking like a broken club, Bournemouth are dropping like a stone and Leicester can't buy a win without Maddison and their fans can't believe Brendan is still there. I'd certainly put Bournemouth in my bottom 3 already. Which leaves 2 spaces. Everton are in real trouble which could mean them finally going down so they're a likely candidate for second spot... which leaves one space. I still think it could be us but recent upturn in form, fight and confidence, new signings and cup runs to come could work in our favour. West Ham have too much quality to go down (but when have we heard that before...) as do Leicester probably and Wolves. Leeds could be in real trouble under Marsch. I also wouldn't put it past Palace (who have horrible fixtures to come) and Forest dropping into it. Villa? Probably OK but it'd be nice to get a win over them to make them nervous. I also think managerial changes could affect things. All to play for. If you offered me the usual safety Prediction of 38 points now, I'd take it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

What we lack is 3 teams noticeably weaker than us this season but.... Everton are looking like a broken club, Bournemouth are dropping like a stone and Leicester can't buy a win without Maddison and their fans can't believe Brendan is still there. I'd certainly put Bournemouth in my bottom 3 already. Which leaves 2 spaces. Everton are in real trouble which could mean them finally going down so they're a likely candidate for second spot... which leaves one space. I still think it could be us but recent upturn in form, fight and confidence, new signings and cup runs to come could work in our favour. West Ham have too much quality to go down (but when have we heard that before...) as do Leicester probably and Wolves. Leeds could be in real trouble under Marsch. I also wouldn't put it past Palace (who have horrible fixtures to come) and Forest dropping into it. Villa? Probably OK but it'd be nice to get a win over them to make them nervous. I also think managerial changes could affect things. All to play for. If you offered me the usual safety Prediction of 38 points now, I'd take it.

I agree with all of that tbh. You'd like to think we've turned the corner - it does feel like Forest was rock bottom for fans and players alike - but anything could happen before ethe season finishes. As a minimum, we've given ourselves a chance with the everton win, had we lost that it would have been grim. 3points against Villa and i have a feeling we would never look bac - especially if we can get a quality striker in. The only thing i would say is that I can't see Villa dropping back in under Emery, already he has them playing much better. And yes i concur, i can't see 38points not being enough this year - There is a lot still to go, but already i could see it being around 33/34points.

Edited by Saint86

Bazunu; Lyanco, DCC, Salisu, KWP; Diallo, Lavia; Orsic, JWP, Edozie; Adams. (4-2-3-1) 

At home to an average side I'd rather play two attacking wide players rather than Elyounoussi who tends to slow attacks down. Leeds got at Villa the other night and were by far the better side (despite losing).

Wouldn't be too fussed if AA played ahead of Edozie or Orsic.  

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Psycrow said:

I'm flying over for this match with my Dad and bringing my daughter for her first game at St. Mary's! Bringing my brother and his nephew as well. Here's hoping for 4 in a row!

Good choice coming after three positive wins. If your daughter's first game was the Forest one she may have been put off for life. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

As someone who was keen for NJ to lose his job after the Forest game, I have been really impressed with how solid we've looked post that game.

I expect the weight of expectation may get to us. Emery has got them looking much more organised. Cagey 1-1.

They really looked poor against Leeds and wouldn't have won but for their keeper. They like to play out from the back so put a press on Mings and he'll make errors. We can beat these as long as we don't concede soft goals.

28 minutes ago, saintant said:

They really looked poor against Leeds and wouldn't have won but for their keeper. They like to play out from the back so put a press on Mings and he'll make errors. We can beat these as long as we don't concede soft goals.

This is the thing. Bar Man City, we still suffer from this habit.

• Like 1

Depending on other results, 3 points could well move us out of the bottom three. Incentive enough one would think......hope.

West Ham v Everton.  Man City v Wolves.  Leeds v Brentford.   Bournemouth v Forest.  Leicester v Brighton.  Palace v Newcastle.  Some difficult ties there for our nearest rivals.

• Like 3

Really important game in the context of our season.   If we can't win it, then don't lose it, important to keep the momentum going and building the confidence.  A  win would be a big step forwards, buy the manager and players a fair amount of credit.

15 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Depending on other results, 3 points could well move us out of the bottom three. Incentive enough one would think......hope.

West Ham v Everton. (D) Man City v Wolves (L),  Leeds (L) v Brentford.   Bournemouth (L or D) v Forest.  Leicester (L) v Brighton.  Palace v Newcastle.  Some difficult ties there for our nearest rivals.

We win against Villa with those results we are in 14th place. Nuts.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 0-1 Aston Villa
  • Jimmy_D unpinned this topic