Saints 0-2 Brentford - Match Thread

Whitey Grandad

If any game summed up our season it was that. Absolutley zero end product, nada. 

Lots of effort, lots of possession but absolutely no guile. Brentford defended well to be fair to them, but we made it somewhat easy as there was nothing different from us. We don't seem to know how to get the most out of either Sulemana or Ounachu yet, so the goals haven't been injected from those guys.

That's us done now anyway, we couldn't afford to lose another game like this at home and we have. So there's no way out now.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Fucking hell folks. We’re a win away from being 15th, we’ve definitely had the better of the second half and we’re absolutely an improvement on the shit we’ve been subjected to throughout the earlier part of the season. Brentford are a good side and the game played into their hands. Sneak one, sit deep, break. All isn’t lost. Some of you need to get a grip.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Oh man, Diallo and Ely in the starting line-up and no Edozie on the bench even (our best bet against their man-mountain defenders is to run around them) for a must-win game - when will we learn?

Was optimistic. Now think we'll lose 0-2. Hope I'm wrong and we play a blinder.

Called it.

This one entirely on Selles. Why on earth would we not play our best eleven to start with? We're a different team with Lavia in.

Well, at least that's it for me now. We're down and deserve to go down.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Hardly a suprise, I think we all knew this was coming when we saw the lineups.

not as though Lavia and Theo made us better. 

I'm not gonna blame Selles. These players are simply not good enough.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, The Juice said:

Please explain what, in particular, he does wrong here? 

Whilst we might question Moi or Diallo, Saints had a ridiculous amount of possession, crossing opportunities, possession in the final third. What did Selles fail to do? 

I like selles, but we have been outplayed in every game under him bar maybe united, which was fairly even but we did have an extra man. That maybe down to just how shite our attack is I don't know... But whilst we may have more possession under reunen, on the stats that really count (chance creation and xG) we are losing out in every game under him. And we all know we were very lucky to get the 3 points vs Chelsea and Leicester re absolute profligacy from their strikers. United as well really should have scored (as should we). We have absolutely zero chance of survival without carrying an attacking threat. And we're also far to easy to play against as a direct result of our bluntness. Teams don't really need to attack us, if they just defend we'll simply gift them chances... That's the reality. 

Looking more and more likely that it's all too little too late now anyway. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

not as though Lavia and Theo made us better. 

I'm not gonna blame Selles. These players are simply not good enough.

I think that's fair. I notice the usual mentalists are pointing at the manager, but he is still trying to get goals out of the same bunch who seem incapable of scoring goals. Not sure who could make Adams, Armstrong or Ely pose a threat from open play.

That's why we've been relegated, no goals in the team. Obviously the Jones blot in the middle removed any chance of a decent fight, but it was always a tough ask with this squad imo.

• Like 4

Tonight was a display of Southampton with too much of the ball equals our demise. We just cannot break teams down. Crossing we are awful at, how many of these crosses either hit the first man, or go out of play. Disgraceful. Then we get to making that final pass, time and time again it leads to nothing when it almost harder for it to. Also we are awful from corners and throw in’s.. just awful, never feel like we can ever get anything from them. 

• Like 3

Just now, S-Clarke said:

If any game summed up our season it was that. Absolutley zero end product, nada. 

Lots of effort, lots of possession but absolutely no guile. Brentford defended well to be fair to them, but we made it somewhat easy as there was nothing different from us. We don't seem to know how to get the most out of either Sulemana or Ounachu yet, so the goals haven't been injected from those guys.

That's us done now anyway, we couldn't afford to lose another game like this at home. 

At least the die hard season ticket holders can content themselves in the knowledge that there's an extra four home games on offer for season 2023-2024.

• Sad 1

God that was poor, we never laid a glove on them. We look so toothless up front and while we’re more solid these days if you can’t score it doesn’t matter.

Adams was so isolated and we couldn’t get any quality delivery into the box even with Tall Paul to aim at.

And of course our best chance fell to Ely as it always seems to.

Felt sorry for Selles moving deckchairs around up front of this Titanic heading down!

• Like 1

Players are not anywhere near good enough for the Premiership, many are not good enough for the Championship. 

Are recruitment department is the worse performing department in a club failing in every department.  

4 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Meanwhile Tella scores a hat trick for Burnley away at Hull. Top Spread sheeting Saints ! 

I can't believe we picked such a negative team against a side that is crap if they concede first! 

It will need a miracle after that to keep us up. And If we have to play Bree again, it will take a double miracle ! Bree Chatterly should be printed on his shirt.  

More like Lady Chatterley - regularly fucked on the grass! 

• Like 1

What sticks out for me is that no attacking player is switched on at all.

None of them willing to bust a gut to make a run or throw themselves at a cross or do a anthing different from just jogging next to their oppo, safe in the knowledge they won't get muddy and wet.

Fucking frauds, the lot of them. Gutless, lazy, unimaginative, waster, clueless, thick cunts!

I hope we fucking clean house when we go down. They can all fuck off. 

• Like 5

Yet another narrow defeat.

We can't create. Whether it's when we are dominating possession, trying to use width, with a counterattacking through ball or pretty much anything. We've not got the talent, understanding or plan in place to do it.

We concede a soft goal, again.

As above, we can't get ourselves back into the game. Our brighter attacking options go off. The replacements offer nothing more agaisnt a team that know they can just sit back, and fend us off with a minimal amount of effort.

They get a second chance at the death, when we're all pushing up for a last effort. They score easily.

Another massive game where we've not grabbed a chance to dig ourselves out of the relegation mire.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

We don't seem to know how to get the most out of either Sulemana or Ounachu yet, so the goals haven't been injected from those guys.

Sulemana has had every opportunity, but he simply does not deliver. It's little wonder Rennes didn't play him.

Onuachu is a tap in merchant and we create fuck all, so he's a waste of a shirt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Called it.

This one entirely on Selles. Why on earth would we not play our best eleven to start with? We're a different team with Lavia in.

Well, at least that's it for me now. We're down and deserve to go down.

🦸 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Brentford - Match Thread
2 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

Fucking hell folks. We’re a win away from being 15th, we’ve definitely had the better of the second half and we’re absolutely an improvement on the shit we’ve been subjected to throughout the earlier part of the season. Brentford are a good side and the game played into their hands. Sneak one, sit deep, break. All isn’t lost. Some of you need to get a grip.

Where and when do you think our next win will be?  Isn't it obvious to you that our problem is that we do not score goals.  We have just played Brentford at home and their keeper has not made a single save, not one. We are, deservedly, down. 

• Like 4

Just now, SaintJakko said:

Tonight was a display of Southampton with too much of the ball equals our demise. We just cannot break teams down. Crossing we are awful at, how many of these crosses either hit the first man, or go out of play. Disgraceful. Then we get to making that final pass, time and time again it leads to nothing when it almost harder for it to. Also we are awful from corners and throw in’s.. just awful, never feel like we can ever get anything from them. 

It's almost a skill to be able to hit any target but the massive target man you've brought on.

While we may have slightly improved under Selles, his spell in charge has been one step forward, three steps back. So frustrating, so inconsistent and ultimately we're facing the inevitable (although we have been since Jan). Two PL goals during his 5 games, one from open play. Pathetic doesnt even describe it.

What a wasted opportunity to build on the result at the weekend. But then again what a waste of a fucking season. 

• Like 3

First half we were far too slow getting the ball forward, which was inevitable as soon as he inexplicably started Diallo and Elyanoussi. Fucking madness.

With those two gone we were much quicker, but then the problem was delivery into the box. And there's no sense putting Tall Paul out there if you're not going to play to his strengths.

In the cold light of day the result is going to overshadow the fact that we actually did a fair bit right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

It's almost a skill to be able to hit any target but the massive target man you've brought on.

Knowing you had a target man, and developing a way of taking advantage of his strengths would be a bit like having some sort of attacking plan. Alien to our squad, so they remove it from their thoughts on the pitch. 🙂

Absolutely fucking abysmal.  Elyounossi and Diallo hooked off for being shit, what a surprise.  
We are the worst side in the league and the laziest.  We tip tap it around backwards and sideways because none of the lazy cunts are moving and they’re too scared to do anything on the ball.

We deserve to go down.  And this after spending a fortune in the transfer market.  What a sad fucking joke of a club we are.

• Like 2

It's not just finishing. We have no flair, no attacking movement, no pace, slow build up and we just don't create anything. There was no excitement or nervousness watching us tonight because after went one down we never looked like scoring in a million years. 

Abysmal.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CanadaSaint said:

In the cold light of day the result is going to overshadow the fact that we actually did a fair bit right.

That's the key comment for me, there was a lot of good stuff but sadly a lot of the same as well. I don't know how you can get us scoring goals from open play, it's like a mental block at this stage.

I guess it's frustrating to see us do what we do at Utd and Chelsea etc, but the difference in those games are that the teams come out and leave space. Brentford closed every gap and every avenue, in those situations you need that extra tiny bit of quality, intelligence and guile (And quick play) in order to break them down. We don't have that, we rely on the space being given to us. 

Do you know what sums this team up? A bunch of nice but dim guys.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The relegation battles of old were fought by players whom may have lacked ability, but they made up for it with heart. This bunch of useless cunts have got neither.

The only thing I’m looking forward to with relegation is that hopefully I won’t have to watch most of these pricks dishonour our shirt anymore.

What a shite fucking season. To think some of the clowns on here have got the nerve to criticise the fans in the ground that still turn up to watch this complete and utter shite, just because they can’t muster the effort to “roar” the team on to victory, like it would do any good.

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 5

On 12/03/2023 at 21:16, Maggie May said:

Brentford have been a bit of a bogey side for us in the past three years. I can see us stumbling again on Wednesday. 2-0 loss.

I posted this on Sunday. Far too predictable unfortunately. We are so easy to play against, it’s unreal.

I think that’s it now. I’ve resigned myself we are heading for the drop.

Those who think it’s a good opportunity for us to clear out the deadwood to bounce back up again are going to be in for a reality check.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Juice said:

Please explain what, in particular, he does wrong here? 

Whilst we might question Moi or Diallo, Saints had a ridiculous amount of possession, crossing opportunities, possession in the final third. What did Selles fail to do? 

well he picked Moi and Diallo for starters................................................not a fucking hope that either can turn in a game worthy performance. Walcott...ffs hes so beyond his prime ,those sitters he missed at Old Trafford. Its endless streams of patience with this team a glimmer of hope followed by complete and utter shambles of slow forward to the halfway line, a few sideways passes let your opponent get back into shape then pass it all the way back to the keeper for the long punt and hope for a quick turnover.Rinse and repeat until the opposition score with any meaningful attack, then we are completely fucked ,what we have to now score at least once,no chance. Rant over but im showing a fans passion for the club that Ive supported for over57 years and this is just not acceptable ,but reality of it is, this is as good as we are.

• Like 1

Last 8 in the league: 1 goal from open play. 3 in total.

Last 10 in the league: 0 goalscorers who aren't midfielders Ward-Prowse or Alcaraz.

Just appalling attackers. Worst in the league. Added Mara, Edozie, Sulemana, Onuachu to Adams, Armstrong, Walcott and Elyounoussi, at a cost of around £70m and have gotten worse.

About £100m we've spent on that shite all in. 

Edit: I forgot we also signed Croatia's number three Mislav Orsic impersonator. 

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 3

Just now, Maggie May said:

Those who think it’s a good opportunity for us to clear out the deadwood to bounce back up again are going to be in for a reality check.

Why do you think that? Sure, we'll sell Adams, JWP, Lavia for decent money.

We've got Tella and Smallbone performing in the league below.

A drop down may help the likes of Ballard, Dibling etc to break into the team.

The biggest thing we have against us is that Sports Republic will still be calling the shots.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Got to look to the future for some hope. 

We are going down. But next year, we've got some good prospects for returning.

Certainly the way to look at it! We will have some money behind us, so there is no excuse financially and we will be able to properly compete in a league for once. Just need to make sure we get the recruitment right and the coaching setup right. A chance for a reset for sure, but there's still some good elements to build from.

You would have to say it's next season or bust though, you don't want to mess up the first attempt. Stoke, Swansea and co are lessons in that one.

Edited by S-Clarke

Poor team selection, losing KWP and crappy subs have cost us tonight. Just play the best players you have available and keep them on the park as long as you can. It’s not rocket science. 

We are shit though! 🤣

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

We are down, come on!

• Like 1

Like what has already been stated here. Tonight was a display of why we are where we are. Good possession football with no real intent or threat. Completely tepid. Like a real boring handjob, it’s nice and that.. but it’s not really going to lead to anything is it? 

You need individuals that are switched on, wanting to make those toward passes that catch the opposition off guard, bust a gut, show real intent. Even just having the balls and talent to have a go. Our players just do not have that quality. You look at our squad and you just cannot see where the goals come from. 

Yes sometimes we will pinch a goal or two and fight out for that 1-0 win. It’s rare, usually well deserved. But you need goals and threat to consistently do this. We just do not have this. 

Selles has improved us, the rest from what I can see is a player issue. 

• Like 1

Brentford have never lost a game in the premiership when scoring first.

Okay let’s put our two good players on the bench and play with 9 first half.

Why not start with Walcott and Latvia and take them off to defend a lead if we attacked Brentford from the off.

Fucking amateurs our club! 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

263850A5-B47A-44F3-A57C-978A83C60D4E.jpeg