Leeds 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

I don’t get it. Onuachu was the top scorer in Belgium. He obviously knows how to put the ball in the net. I can’t remember him getting a decent chance yet, but the managers think surrounding him with the likes of Elyounoussi, Perraud,Maitlind Niles, Diallo and co is going to be the answer? Elyounoussi In particular is symptomatic of the malaise in our attack over the last couple of season, but he is still starting. I really don’t get it.

• Like 6

Such a shite goal to concede as well.  We just don't look like scoring and haven't done for an age.  Big Paul's hold up play and touches are ok but can he even jump?  Biggest disappointment in the air since the Hindenburg disaster.  Not that he's had a great deal of service in fairness.  

• Like 1

As bad as anything under jones today tbh.. we looked absolutely pathetic offensively, clueless, no out ball no decent link play. This game could have gone 180 mins and we wouldn’t look like scoring. 

how the fuck bazunu still starts is beyond me .. had been a liability all season and again today 

• Like 2

Meh. Going through the motions now, Selles is just a caretaker before we reassess in summer. I hope the agents of all these players have got them convinced that they’re too good for Southampton, so that they all f**k off in summer. The sadistic part of me would love to see Bednarek, Bazunu, Moi, Adams and co. Inflicted on someone like West Ham or Villa.

A really poor display after the hope from last week, we've certainly played worse than that this season, but this wasn't great at all. It was a very scrappy game with minimal quality on show from either side, Leeds have more about them in the final third and looked the most dangerous, but often panicked when they got into that final area.

We just didn't look capable of creating a chance let alone scoring, which has been the problem all season (and probably since we sold Ings to be fair).

Maybe we gave a spark a little flicker last week, but that's been entirely eliminated today and that's it for us. All nails in the coffin and we're done, just need to go down with as much momentum as we can muster and see if we can see anything from Selles that can suggest he can lead us on a promotion push.

Not officially relegated today, but unofficially it's done and dusted from that result. You can't lose games against teams next to you in the position we are in and we've lost 99% of games we've played against teams next to us, bar Everton. Only one outcome sadly.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

We had 3 fucking touches in the Leeds penalty area in the last 30 minutes, Thats pathetic!

It’s not a decent striker you need, it’s passing football that moves the team up the pitch. I had no idea why we played crab and backwards football today against a truly shit Leeds team.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

No chance? the ball literally went through his hand...it was right at him...goalies are supposed to save those, you know

Have you ever actually played in goal? It was about 2 yards away from him before he saw where it was going. 

He couldn't come off his line and narrow down the angle because Bednarek was standing right in his way and just turned his back and let the ball roll past him like he always fucking does,  because he's a useless sack of shit.

If you're looking to scapegoat someone then look no further than Bednarek. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Danny Ings! To think that we didnt think he would be an important signing in Jan

I know someone who knows Danny. We were interested, he was interested in coming back but apparently simply chose to go where was going to offer him most first team football!! Baffling we wern't willing to guarantee that if true.

4 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Danny Ings! To think that we didnt think he would be an important signing in Jan

Not all of us Nick, I’d have loved us to go for him despite what the forum experts thought. Instead we bought the bloke from The Green Mile with the ability to match.

Thats it now, it’s the hope that kills you but I really did think just maybe there was a chance after last week but that’s it, the fat lady really is warming up her pipes. Glad we hired that exciting new Spanish coach to play all the same dogshit players his predecessors did.

• Like 1

Alcaraz clearly not a Selles signing, the only non JWP scorer we have had since what seems like forever, and can’t get near the side now

the combo of Bednarek and Bazunu for that goal just sums up our defending this season

substitutions very odd today I thought

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Micky said:

Goodbye the premiere league. We won't be back for many, many years mark my words. This club needs a complete reset.  Watching that shower of shyte,  I feel for Markus tonight.

I disagree - I think we'll be back fairly swiftly, perhaps on our first or possibly second go, but I have serious doubts about our ability to assemble a squad that can compete sufficiently in the Prem.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

A really poor display after the hope from last week, we've certainly played worse than that this season, but this wasn't great at all. It was a very scrappy game with minimal quality on show from either side, Leeds have more about them in the final third and looked the most dangerous, but often panicked when they got into that final area.

We just didn't look capable of creating a chance let alone scoring, which has been the problem all season (and probably since we sold Ings to be fair).

Maybe we gave a spark a little flicker last week, but that's been entirely eliminated today and that's it for us. All nails in the coffin and we're done, just need to go down with as much momentum as we can muster and see if we can see anything from Selles that can suggest he can lead us on a promotion push.

Not officially relegated today, but unofficially it's done and dusted from that result. You can't lose games against teams next to you in the position we are in and we've lost 99% of games we've played against teams next to us, bar Everton. Only one outcome sadly.

Expect us to win next week just to get everyone's hopes up again.

Just now, sotonjoe said:

Might as well have kept Jones based on that performance. What a shambles . We never stood a chance from the minute whistle blew .

I was impressed with how well we set up and played at Chelsea but that display today was up there with some of our worst in the last 3 years. 

• Like 2

Sad thing is Leeds were the better team today No lack of effort from us and apart from poor goalkeeping we would have escaped with a draw Worryingly though we were never going to score were we.  Enough games left but from today I do not see where a winning streak that we. Eyed  is coming from. We need to invest in a goalkeeper in the close season as we have given Bazunu his chance too early [not his fault] Hope we are planning big time for next season as sadly I do not think we have enough to get out of this.

• Like 1

Watching us fucking around at the back and using Bednarek as the pivot for initiating the transition to attack (🤣) makes me think that Selles might have been one of the problems. Until we play KWP/ABK/Salisu/Perrault, every game will look like this. You could time our transition to attack with a sundial.

• Like 4

Same flat performance with a better press conference. Didn't do anything in the first half, bar the shot from Tall Paul.

2nd half got better,  until the substitutions lost us the midfield. ELY was especially bad today, his pass completion stats must be single figures. 

We need to work out how to get Sulemana on the ball a lot more.

At least we can relax now, that week of hope was quite stressful. 

Ps that goal was just awful

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Expect us to win next week just to get everyone's hopes up again.

Yeah we may well win, we'll win again this season for sure - but we've got way, way, way, too much to do now. It was already a tall order and it's now just not even worth calculating. Battle to finish 19th I guess, between us and Bournemouth.

25 minutes ago, egg said:

Bazunu. Properly shit... standing behind Bednarek. 

Where to we stand on bednarek stand out if the way for the shot.

He wasn’t good enough when we loaned him out. Can’t believe he gets picked now. Yes it winds me up.

if he’s not dropped a bollock he’s the first to tell everyone to calm down, smug picks half the problem (back 4 anyway)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Meh. Going through the motions now, Selles is just a caretaker before we reassess in summer. I hope the agents of all these players have got them convinced that they’re too good for Southampton, so that they all f**k off in summer. The sadistic part of me would love to see Bednarek, Bazunu, Moi, Adams and co. Inflicted on someone like West Ham or Villa.

Bednarek was inflicted on villa and they sent him back. He’s that shite 

• Like 2

That performance was as bad as anything under Ralph or jones. Absolutely toothless up front but to be fair our main striker had no support and nothing to go at.  I think you need to go 442 now. When you persist with elynoussi who has no pace, no trickery, no pokery and can’t pass or beat a player then what is the fecking point. I don’t get the 3 subs as we looked poor, as we did at Chelsea when that change was made. 
let’s face it, we’re gone, no right to stay in this league and we are clearly the worst team in the league. The owner should fire Semmens and ankerson immediately. Shambles.

Edited by madge

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yep. That's it for me now too.  Losing against teams around you leads to only one outcome. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ekelund said:

Where to we stand on bednarek stand out if the way for the shot.

He wasn’t good enough when we loaned him out. Can’t believe he gets picked now. Yes it winds me up.

if he’s not dropped a bollock he’s the first to tell everyone to calm down, smug picks half the problem (back 4 anyway)

Just seen the various typos but you get the point. Bloody phone and not happy…

2 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I'm looking forward to the clear out. Very much.

Who though? They’re not good enough for premier league clubs so no one will want them and they’ll be on premier league contracts so not many championship clubs could afford them. We’re stuck with them. The only ones who will go will be the better players Lavia, KWP, Ward-Prowse maybe Salisu and the ones out of contact, Walcott, Elyanoussi I think. We’re stuck with the rest, having spent years clearing out the deadwood we seem to have acquired just as much in the last year. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

living near Fratton Park knew the final score .................loud cheer went up.......................fuck.

They really are a sad bunch of cunts. Every week they seem to celebrate us losing more than their own team winning. 

They're still singing about sending the scummers down. That was 20 years ago! 

Pricks. 

Well that was pretty crap but not unsurprising really.

Players lose matches, but the manager has to take some responsibility. Bendarek, AMN, and Elyounoussi simply aren't good enough. Not that there is much else to choose from frankly. The team can accommodate one of them but not all three.

I'd imagine we'll see Mccarthy soon. Bazunu is OK, but as Brian Clough said OK isn't enough, it leaves the defense constantly looking over their shoulder.

I've said before points wise there is no issue as it is still very tight down the bottom. Just a win and a draw from safety.

However, performance wise there is a major issue. They simply cannot click as a team.

I'm also worried about the money the club has spent so far on players. Must be north of £100 million. Going to be very exposed if relegated. 2005 vibes anyone.

Just now, Turkish said:

Who though? They’re not good enough for premier league clubs so no one will want them and they’ll be on premier league contracts so not many championship clubs could afford them. We’re stuck with them. The only ones who will go will be the better players Lavia, Ward-Prowse maybe Salisu and the ones out of contact, Walcott, Elyanoussi I think. We’re stuck with the rest, having spent years clearing out the deadwood we seem to have acquired just as much in the last year. 

We will almost certainly struggle to shift the Diallos, Bednareks and Armstrong etc. But there will be takers in Moussa (for some reason) and probably Adams.

Then you've got the inevitable sales of JWP, Lavia, ABK, Salisu, KWP. We're certainly going to have a huge turnover in the summer, lots of money to reinvest as well. Let's hope the people in charge make the right calls this time, although history suggests they won't.

Too many players on the pitch that are there for their defensive work, and predictly led to an extremely blunt attack. Moi hasn't got a goal or an assist for a very long time, and that is clearly not gonna change anytime soon. AMN offers almost nothing going forward and KWP is by far the superior player. A defensive set up makes sense against Chelsea, but we should have been braver today.

• Like 5