Saints 1-0 Leicester - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

Thought we looked alright in parts, and woeful in others.

They had 3 free headers on/round the 6 yard line, Bazunu is still the worst keeper ever in the Premier League (absolute clown)

Yet we won

We are still going down, probably quite comfortably.

Adams, Walcott, Alcaraz decent.  JwP and Lavia covered a hell of a lot of ground.

Mo, Bazunu, Bednarek and Arma are not very good

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Well that was fucking agony. Wouldn't have flattered Leicester to have scored four or five. Their finishing was woeful.

Still can't see another five - at a minimum - wins from this bunch to give themselves a chance of staying up, but at least they had a positive reaction from the midweek debacle.

Charlie seems a good lad. Bit stupid - as we were warned by those that watched him in Argentina - but absolutely giving his all. Hopefully his knock responds well in the week. Midfield alternatives are thin on the ground if Elyounoussi's all we've got in reserve.

Two PL wins for Selles. Already a better record than Jones. Football's just as ugly, mind. But it's wins we need, so fair play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

6 points from Leeds, wolves, forest, Villa, Brentford and Fulham and we'd be in 14th now. 

This. For me we’ve already spunked too many easy points away, not least the 6 pointer against Leeds. Last two matches of the season are Brighton and Liverpool. 😳This result gives us a chance but IMO we’ve probably been “down” for a while. 

Mind you stranger things have happened.

And to all the Bednarek haters... there were plenty of moments today where he was impressive. I think we have really good options now at centre back. I would go Salisu + ABK, but CC and Bednarek can get the job done too.   Great to see Walcott back in form. He's exciting to watch.  Meanwhile, I predict by the end of the season we'll be raving about Sulemana and Alcaraz.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, NewYorkSaint said:

And to all the Bednarek haters... there were plenty of moments today where he was impressive. I think we have really good options now at centre back. I would go Salisu + ABK, but CC and Bednarek can get the job done too.   Great to see Walcott back in form. He's exciting to watch.  Meanwhile, I predict by the end of the season we'll be raving about Sulemana and Alcaraz.

Bednarek does put in regular good performances. Trouble is he's good for one big cock up every game and it's a flip of a coin as to whether the opposition take advantage of not.

6 points from 3 games 2 of which were away represents a very good return for Selles. It wasn't pretty but they all battled for him. A long way to go but at least we're giving it a go. The football is still poor but results are more important than performances so well done for today. Couldn't really pick out any individuals it was just a gutsy team effort.

RalphBall 2.5 gets us a win. It's not an entertaining watch. We contain and stop without imposing or controlling. If it goes well, we get some chances in the space and get the points. We rely on mistakes not costing us, or the opposition just not being clinical. Today, it was Baz's turn to have 2 very dodgy moments, and Iheanacho not taking advantage of chances.

We didn;t create too much, and that win came from a  good bit of work from Che and a strong finish by Alcaraz, who promtly crocked himself to rob us even of full enjoyment of that. We ended up dropping back deeper than we started, to keep that narrow lead. The pen going in would have helped for sure.

We have missed Che. He, and Walcott, was involved in a lot of our best stuff.  It would have been nice if we'd had more than a passing spell in charge of the game. But at this stage, the points are really all that matter. If we were to somehow stay up, it can be looked at in the summer. Lots of unforced errors to look at, where we need to hold the ball and pass it better to take the sting out of the opposition.

• Like 1

Overall the feeling coming away was relief that Ineacho missed so many presentable chances

Keeps us in the hunt at least i suppose

Bazanu: 5 sorry(superman misses the ball at the end and the fluff kick)

AMN: 8, excellent, looks he may be a Fb not the CM he wants to be

KWP: 8; standard KWP fare

ABK: 8, once got caught out and still recovered

Bedanrek: 6, reasonably solid, there were still dodgy moments though

Lavia: 7 better in first half i thought but still good

JWP; 7, despite missed penalty thought be had a decent game. Showed common sense taking Maddison down late whilst Moi mucked about

Alcaraz: 7. One of the few players i actually feel confident about when they have a chance

Walcott: 6, ok put himself about. When the moment came to shoot was awful though

Sulemena: 6, everytime i look at him i think we spent 22M on a guy with a bit of pace who can't shoot rather than recall nathan tella.

Adams: 7, a solid adams game. He's an excellent link up player despite his other falws as evidenced by the goal

Subs:

A.Armstrong, 1. Played worse than wednesday. How he was called upon after wednesday was bizarre. Only half decent thing i saw him do was hack maddison

Mara: 6, like always mara has flashes where you go there is a player in there. Still surprised we didn't use Onachu's aerial ability instead

Moi; 6, Reminds me of me. All discipline and hard work and no talent. Worked today because we were 1-0 up but wont work most times

S.Armstrong: 6, A experienced head to calm things down

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Chelsea and Leicester results mask how poor we are. Yes it’s fantastic that we’ve won but please let’s not get carried away

I blame that Selles fella whose been the problem for us for the last 18 months. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

Sulemana has a lot to learn about the correct time to press. He generally sat ten yards off his man and didn't press until the ball was at the players feet. He needs to learn to be on the move to close down before that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

There were moments today he was solid. There were also moments where he was very poor.

Good to see they have started opening the doors at half time down the Chapel/Kingsland corner so people can go outside. 

The outside bars were open and a food stall or 2. They are trialing it for the rest of the season and hope to move the bike sheds eventually so it can be extended further.

Selles:-

Lots to improve on.

Work on the performance.

Lucky with that last one.

Working as a unit and a group.

Will be putting it to him, regarding Alcaraz celebrations.

Looking for the penetration in that central position, on Alcaraz.

Adams managign the game and calmness pluses and great for us.

expect to continue working,a dn to be better in some aspects.

Will look to win at Old Trafford.

I'm just glad we won....but.....the commentator said on sky that this will give us something to build on.....I've heard that alot this season....3 points though. Can't argue with that. But when 90% of our team can't even pass a ball to a team mate then we have major problems. Adam Armstrong....he's a reincarnation of Ali Dia.

I thought Elyonoussi opened us up with his awful play almost as much as Madisson. A Armstrong ?????, As for those criticising Bazunu, If he hadn't done that at the end, put off Souttar with his hand at the vital moment. Redknapp and Heskey thought Souttar would have scored if Bazunu hadn't put him off. I'm not sure about Selles, those two substitutions were poor. Towards the end our game management was poor. It was crying out to keep putting the ball into the corners and trapping it there.

• Like 2

In the moment, after the penalty miss, the adrenaline rush made Southampton look ok, and they scored. That is what they need to lock into, that urgency.

The press was laboured at times, but over time, it worked against Leicester. Glad to see they did that part, but positioning nearer the player needs to be better. The entrapment of two, three players around the Leicester players worked and put them off.

Defending during corners needs to be better, the back post was abandoned sometimes, basic play.

It's still looking muddled in the middle with 4222 and congested. They were dominating out wide early on.

Bazanu needs space, stop with the pass to the side on goal kicks players need to push forward. Give space in behind. He did some ok stuff, but is still awkward. 

1 minute ago, derry said:

I thought Elyonoussi opened us up with his awful play almost as much as Madisson. A Armstrong ?????, As for those criticising Bazunu, If he hadn't done that at the end, put off Souttar with his hand at the vital moment. Redknapp and Heskey thought Souttar would have scored if Bazunu hadn't put him off. I'm not sure about Selles, those two substitutions were poor. Towards the end our game management was poor. It was crying out to keep putting the ball into the corners and trapping it there.

Really, Is that a real technique come out and deliberately vacate the goal with the hope that it will put the opposition player off putting the ball in the empty net.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Haivng seen Baz come out and flap at that last chance again. Does he put their player off? Had he not at least come out for a flap, would they have had another free header that could have gone right in. Should he have always got something on it, when coming out, or is that harsh?

1 minute ago, derry said:

That’s how I saw that chance too. The centre halves lost Souttar, it was too far out for Baz but if he hadn’t come out and thrown himself at it, they would have had an unchallenged, free header. Of all the things you can criticise Baz for (his skewed clearance for E.g.) this wasn’t one of them.

• Confused 1