Saints 1-0 Leicester - Match Thread

Saint Garrett

24 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

And to all the Bednarek haters... there were plenty of moments today where he was impressive. I think we have really good options now at centre back. I would go Salisu + ABK, but CC and Bednarek can get the job done too.   Great to see Walcott back in form. He's exciting to watch.  Meanwhile, I predict by the end of the season we'll be raving about Sulemana and Alcaraz.

Bro the view from new york must be hazy cos impressive is not the world I would use to describe anyone on the pitch today.

We have put up with bednarek for like 4yrs now, how many errors, own goals, throwing his hands up in the air and blaming others, having the coordination of a 16yr old whose grom from 5ft to 6ft 6 in 4 weeks.

He's the best of a bad bunch at the moment.

As soon as salisu is fit i expect it to be ABK - Salisu then whoever isnt in shit mode for that week.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, derry said:

I thought Elyonoussi opened us up with his awful play almost as much as Madisson. A Armstrong ?????, As for those criticising Bazunu, If he hadn't done that at the end, put off Souttar with his hand at the vital moment. Redknapp and Heskey thought Souttar would have scored if Bazunu hadn't put him off. I'm not sure about Selles, those two substitutions were poor. Towards the end our game management was poor. It was crying out to keep putting the ball into the corners and trapping it there.

At one point moi did an awesome chest layoff for a Leicester player, if i was the opposition manager i'd be telling everyone let moi get the ball and be ready for the pass. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Great that we won but if someone can give me a good reason what A.Armstrong, Moi and having Benderak as our ball playing CB offer then i've got some magic beans to sell you

Some passing thoughts...

AA offers work rate and closing down. He's often the best in any press, harrasses like Long did, and tracks back.

Moi is a link between a midfield that can;t string apsses togetehr and an attack that has already dropped back almost behind him, and isn;t very effective. Agian, it's workrate and positioning the opponents to stop their momentum.

Bedders offers international standard pointing, while not taking up any of the vulnerable poistions he's pointing out himself. Possibly keeps Baz's flapping down to what we saw. There were others shanking the ball and losing possession a lot more than he was today. He wasn't put under to much personal pressure and we had dropped deep enough where pace was brought into play. They ahd lots of free headers, so would need to rewatch them to see where he, and others, should have been. But generally looked a fairly solid performance by his standards (such as they are)

It's not a tactic I like to watch, and all of them have limitations (fairly noticable ones), some of which that tactic helps shine a light on. But they are better than a lot of the other options in our squad. Not in all situations, but across more areas than the others. For example, you could play Edozie. He will look to attack his opponent. But that's not going to work often, we don't have attackers waiting often on him getting apst anyone, and if he loses it, we're under pressure. Ely offers a bit more solidity, if less flair there. Sulemana offers pace and width, but in a narrow tactic and he tired and didn;t press as effectivly as the game went on. Ely again offers a broader range of things. SDo, he might not start, but is useful. Like AA. Bella-Kotchap and Salisu's form waver a bit, and I'm not sure what's going on with DCC. I can see why the manager would prefer Bednerak to Lyanco.

• Like 1

Brilliant from Alcaraz, the perfect run from that position and honestly something I don’t see anyone else in the team capable of producing.

Hated the subs again. Constantly leaving ourselves in a position where an equaliser only leads to one team winning (i.e. Wolves). Too many players not good enough getting minutes for us.

I’d just love to win a game by 2 goals, and I’d love the Northam to get some fucking belief.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Really, Is that a real technique come out and deliberately vacate the goal with the hope that it will put the opposition player off putting the ball in the empty net.

He was obviously trying to get a touch on but the ball was just out of reach. If he had stayed on his line I'm pretty sure Souttar could have got a better look at the ball and put in a better header, It must have caused him a problem judging the header with a hand flashing across his vision at the last second. I think Bazunu saved two points for us with that decision because yet again nobody picked Souttar up.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

If you think that's going to keep us in the PL  - enjoy your dream.

The table doesn’t lie at this stage, every team from 12th down has problems, it’s a proper scrap this season.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

At one point moi did an awesome chest layoff for a Leicester player, if i was the opposition manager i'd be telling everyone let moi get the ball and be ready for the pass. 

Yeah, I watched Moi a bit more closely than usual cos, you know, he works hard cuts off passing lanes etc etc.  He was shite.  I think he got a couple of interceptions but gave the ball away virtually every time.  I don't think he's ever going to be the answer.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, derry said:

I thought Elyonoussi opened us up with his awful play almost as much as Madisson. A Armstrong ?????, As for those criticising Bazunu, If he hadn't done that at the end, put off Souttar with his hand at the vital moment. Redknapp and Heskey thought Souttar would have scored if Bazunu hadn't put him off. I'm not sure about Selles, those two substitutions were poor. Towards the end our game management was poor. It was crying out to keep putting the ball into the corners and trapping it there.

Yup, my thoughts on baz. And the passback was a shocking pass back to him, skimming and bouncing accross the turf 3-4 times with pace, and when he was already under pressure. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

Wow - 2 league wins from 3, I’ll take that, no matter how they come. 

(If Ihenacho keeps that up he has the makings our our new no.9, 3 golden, golden chances.)

Lavia very solid but tired badly in second half, not sure why he started mid-week. ABK also good but him and Bednarek need to sort out positioning on crosses. If Maitland-Niles could get the application right he’d be a very decent footballer, that run early on was class.

Good effort from Theo even if he’s lost that electric pace, used his experience well and justified the start.

Adam Armstrong was so poor again, has lost all confidence.

At times our press looked back to the good old days, at times completely disjointed.

I think we just about have a Prem standard 11, just not a 16, aka Ely/AA/Mara…

Final thought, if we have the ball they can’t score. Got lucky with the hoofball and were basically time wasting from 50 mins on. Leicester were wide open at the back with their high line, we really should have exploited it better with our pace up front.

A win!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, derry said:

He was obviously trying to get a touch on but the ball was just out of reach. If he had stayed on his line I'm pretty sure Souttar could have got a better look at the ball and put in a better header, It must have caused him a problem judging the header with a hand flashing across his vision at the last second. I think Bazunu saved two points for us with that decision because yet again nobody picked Souttar up.

On the line he has better odds of saving it than a failed superman audition. There's no way Mccarthy gets that same credit for missing a cross.

The entire bottom 8 is crap, so I think people are being too critical. This is a team that has been awful most of the year, lost 7 out of 8 in the league under a crazy manager, is on their third manager of the season, confidence, form, fluidity, better football etc. will only come with some more results on the board, they are getting some results on the board.

We only have to be slightly less crap than 3 other teams and if we can put some results together, even if we have to grind them out and a get a bit lucky, then we have a chance.

I mean hell Spurs have looked crap a lot of times this season but are somehow fourth so again think people over estimating how good the other teams are, whilst being down on ours. Plus how many times have a Wolves or Burnley or similar come to SMS in recent seasons, played like crap, we've missed a few chances, they score one lucky goal or get some lucky refereeing and we lose? feel like we deserve a win like that today. 

Plus we also missed a penalty today and still won, so could have been more comfortable. and if Leicester can't get their shots on target that is on them

As Selles said, performance could be better but the fight and commitment was there, they were trying to play on the front foot and we produced some moments of quality. Get the confidence up and we will improve. 

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Some passing thoughts...

AA offers work rate and closing down. He's often the best in any press, harrasses like Long did, and tracks back.

Moi is a link between a midfield that can;t string apsses togetehr and an attack that has already dropped back almost behind him, and isn;t very effective. Agian, it's workrate and positioning the opponents to stop their momentum.

Bedders offers international standard pointing, while not taking up any of the vulnerable poistions he's pointing out himself. Possibly keeps Baz's flapping down to what we saw. There were others shanking the ball and losing possession a lot more than he was today. He wasn't put under to much personal pressure and we had dropped deep enough where pace was brought into play. They ahd lots of free headers, so would need to rewatch them to see where he, and others, should have been. But generally looked a fairly solid performance by his standards (such as they are)

It's not a tactic I like to watch, and all of them have limitations (fairly noticable ones), some of which that tactic helps shine a light on. But they are better than a lot of the other options in our squad. Not in all situations, but across more areas than the others. For example, you could play Edozie. He will look to attack his opponent. But that's not going to work often, we don't have attackers waiting often on him getting apst anyone, and if he loses it, we're under pressure. Ely offers a bit more solidity, if less flair there. Sulemana offers pace and width, but in a narrow tactic and he tired and didn;t press as effectivly as the game went on. Ely again offers a broader range of things. SDo, he might not start, but is useful. Like AA. Bella-Kotchap and Salisu's form waver a bit, and I'm not sure what's going on with DCC. I can see why the manager would prefer Bednerak to Lyanco.

That's a really good post. If you watch the City game, Armstrong was good at the press. That game needs to be looked at for the Utd game. Utd start slow, but will generally dominate the last 60 minutes. They will boss midfield, and they are strong on the wings. The narrower game could possibly work. Force the game early on, then play on the break after 20, 30 minutes. Need to force set plays, but also press well for the last 60 minutes

28 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

On the line he has better odds of saving it than a failed superman audition. There's no way Mccarthy gets that same credit for missing a cross.

On the basis he doesn’t actually save anything I would have to disagree.

• Like 1

My view for what it is worth..... Saints couldn't be faulted for effort today......they looked like they were determined to get a result. However, there was a fair bit of "headless chicken" syndrome, and our passing was lackadaisical most of the time. Leicester seemed to know where the spaces were and used them to their advantage.....their passing to each other much more direct and clinical......they were finding their own players a lot more often that we were. Luckily, their finishing was worse than ours. Still...a wins a win and who knows how the rest of the game would have turned out if the pen had gone in.

• Like 5

I said this in another thread but teams like Leicester west ham and palace are in a lot of danger, they’ve left it way too late to sack the manager and there’s no one available that is decent who would want the job, I still think we’re most likely to go down baring a miracle but they just lost four on the trot and west ham are dreadful, something to look out for at least 

One day we're going to get a comfortable victory.

When we missed the penalty and VAR popped up after our goal, I thought it wasn't going to be our day. But, because we sacked Nathan Jones, God was surely looking down on us today as we really rode our luck. On the penalty, we haven't had a good penalty kick taker since Lambert left. Tadic, Ings and now Ward-Prowse who has missed his last two have all missed their fair share of them from what I can remember. Let somebody else take the next one, please.

Maitland-Niles gave their attackers the freedom of the city and Bazunu did his best to give Leicester a goal, but other than that I thought the rest did their jobs okay. We didn't test Danny Ward in the second half and I'd have personally brought on Onuachu instead of Mara to give us an out ball and some hold up play, but we'll take the three points however we can. Alcaraz has been our best January signing by some distance, so weird he was the one that was dropped after he scored against Wolves. Hopefully his injury isn't too bad and we need to keep him in the team now.

Leicester fans can keep singing about the 9-0 all they want. They only get 3 points for that. Our two results this season have generated more points than they got against us in 19-20. As I've always said, losing 9-0 once is better than losing 1-0 nine times.

The table looks a lot healthier now. A Forest 3-0 win tomorrow would be fantastic. Two points from safety due to GD, no more cup distractions, so lets turn Wednesday's tragedy into a positive.

Up the Saints!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crab Lungs said:

Bazunu, yuk.

Alacaraz, awesome. 

Moi, horrid ‘option’ to have.

Delighted with the win, it’s the hope that kills though. Roll on next weeks easy 3 points.

That's Man U. Take a point there. Don't get the AA is good at pressing stuff quoted on this thread. He strolls then runs the last 3 yards and when he's on the ball, he craps himself. Useless. Moi is also a waste of a shirt. That said, we've done the double against Chelsea and Leicester and the hope is back.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Some passing thoughts...

Sorry but Moi offers ‘positioning’ ! 
That made me lol …

He clearly is crap at that and a whole list of other basic skills… Very good at telling team mates what to do when he doesn’t have the foggiest himself though …. 

Edited by captainchris
  • Like 2

We’ve got more points from Leicester and Chelsea this season than we have from the other 17 teams combined. Crazy.

I refuse to believe we’re back in this fight but for now, tonight, I’m enjoying the result.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Sorry but Moi offers ‘positioning’ ! 
That made me lol …

He clearly is crap at that a whole list of other basic skills… Very good at telling team mates what to when he doesn’t have the foggiest himself though …. 

I did go on to qualify that as being better than other options for the same place in the team, with a couple of examples. 🙂 It's not as though I'm offering Moi up as being a secret Saints weapon and underrated genius. 🙂  Just that for the tactic Selles (and predecessors play) he offers more across the game than others in the squad, making him more useful than them for a lot of situations. Which is why we see him play so often.

59 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Really, Is that a real technique come out and deliberately vacate the goal with the hope that it will put the opposition player off putting the ball in the empty net.

Well he was trying to get a finger tip on the ball but got lucky and put him off. It was probably better than letting him have a free header from 6 yards. Why ABK was not trying to mark him is anyone's guess.

• Like 2

We are not a complete basket case of a team.

We play some really good attacking football. I didn’t think I would say this Che has again played some great through balls knowing where his teams mates should be.

He deserved a MOTM performance. (Still isn’t  a finisher imo). 

Tajjuk  makes the valid point, we just need 3 teams that are worse than us, which this season probably is going to be that difficult. 

The last couple of seasons I’ve been happy before a ball has been kicked to  take 17th if offered. 

This season even more so. 

55 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, I watched Moi a bit more closely than usual cos, you know, he works hard cuts off passing lanes etc etc.  He was shite.  I think he got a couple of interceptions but gave the ball away virtually every time.  I don't think he's ever going to be the answer.

And that us no matter what the question - waste of space 

• Like 1

Selles comments on Lavia resonated with me during that second half showing. Probably should/could have called out JWP as well. In games like that, especially the second half, you absolutely need one of your midfielders to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and get you some possession. Not helped by the attacking players obviously but both of those so sloppy on the ball and if you want to play for a top team then you need to show you can wrestle control of games back. 

A few observations.

• Alcaraz is exciting, but apparently as thick as a box of rocks. If I were a manager the first thing I'd do when coming in is tell my players they'd lose a week's salary if they do that f*cking knee slide goal celebration. Ings infuriatingly used to do that as well.
  • I can't believe I'm saying it, but Theo is impressing me. Keep it up young lad.
  • Ditto AMN, a good solid performance after all the (deserved) stick he's had.
  • Janny B. wasn't great, but was ok I thought.
  • Not true of Bazunu, appalling. A clean sheet thanks to Leicester (Iheanacho in particular) not being able score in a brothel. Bring in Big Willy or McCarthy FFS.
  • Che is a dodgy finisher, but holds play up well and is a good up front with the right partner. Great pass for the goal assist.
  • Moi and AArmstrong: absolute waste of spaces.
  • JWP, for penalties don't always go to the keeper's right. They know it, and will dive that way every time. Yes a great strike will beat them, but anything less than perfect and it's saved. Guide it to their left about 40% of the time FFS.
  • Like 8

Piss poor fanbase by the way. Booing Bednarek at the start, the whistling of Bazunu, screaming "kick it" at the lad despite the obvious fact they've been told not to do that straight away and kicking it at two massive CB's means it's only coming back anyway, the booing of Moi when he's subbed on, so embarrassing. 

• Like 6

That was a good game at st Mary's today. Still some way to go. Very strange goal kick technique. Still feel players need to give each options when passing and not stand almost holding hands. I also feel the the players some times should take the shot at goal rather than look for that perfect cross. Fantastic game for Alcaraz shame he got a knock and had to come off. At last VAR goes our way.

Support in the stadium was great today at points I just wish it was more than 50% singing. Lets make st marys the fortress that was the Dell.

Red and white Army

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Piss poor fanbase by the way. Booing Bednarek at the start, the whistling of Bazunu, screaming "kick it" at the lad despite the obvious fact they've been told not to do that straight away and kicking it at two massive CB's means it's only coming back anyway, the booing of Moi when he's subbed on, so embarrassing. 

Some prick near me was booing Bednarek at the start. Soon shut up though and became a little mouse.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Couldn’t hear shit on the Tele, first 25 mins was all Leicester fans then a good 5 min of OWTSGMI later on.

I always wonder if they turn the away fans up a bit 

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I think our fans have the right to do as they please given the absolute shite they have paid to watch over the last 3 years. I’m not one for booing anyone but moi is not the answer to any question. Is your real name Semmens?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Brissysaint said:

Couldn’t hear shit on the Tele, first 25 mins was all Leicester fans then a good 5 min of OWTSGMI later on.

I always wonder if they turn the away fans up a bit 

If ever you have been an away fan you spend the whole game singing. Away fans are more noticable at st Mary's as majority of the stadium is quiet

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I think our fans have the right to do as they please given the absolute shite they have paid to watch over the last 3 years. I’m not one for booing anyone but moi is not the answer to any question. Is your real name Semmens?

They've got every right to do what they please of course but what are they gaining from it? Who does it benefit? It's classless and can only frustrate and add further pressure to everyone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

McCarthy would have got nowhere near it. Coming outwith a flying fist is going to put off anybody. Otherwise it would have been a free header.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James G said:

And plaudits again for Alcaraz, needs to play every week, he's that goalscoring midfielder that'll be in behind the strikers. Hopefully he's not too injured. He really is a good player

Having done my knee in school days football I wince everytime players do a knee slide , he looked like his technique was wrong and got some twist on his knee . I just think why do they do that ? My knee has never been 100% since

22 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

This totally. Can anyone explain to me how it helps to boo our players when their name is announced or they come on as sub? All it can do is unnerve the player and rattle the others. All of which makes the job of winning harder. 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Well our ‘fans’ have been doing stuff like this for years so it’s clearly not that they’ve decided 3 years of shite is the tipping point. It’s fucking embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Today made me realise how much of an upgrade Alcaraz is on Moi. I like Moi’s work rate and he knows he’s obviously versatile but his quality just isn’t premier league. I’ve never thought he’s quite been good enough to play for us and hopefully Alcaraz can stay fit and keep him out of the team. 

Alcaraz today played in that role that Jwp was playing in in those couple of good games under Jones - very nice 👍 

• Like 3

Subs were fecking ridiculous and could have cost us the game and again on the 60 minute mark. Elynoussi on, is like playing with 10 men and Adam Armstrong really doesn’t have a football brain.  
We got lucky but 3 points was more than than the majority expected so least we move on. But Selles doesn’t fill me with confidence in terms of game management. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, madge said:

Subs were fecking ridiculous and could have cost us the game and again on the 60 minute mark. Elynoussi on, is like playing with 10 men and Adam Armstrong really doesn’t have a football brain.  
We got lucky but 3 points was more than than the majority expected so least we move on. But Selles doesn’t fill me with confidence in terms of game management. 

He needs to figure it out for sure. Making us 20x worse every game at the minute.

• Like 1