Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Media: “14:00 - Interest in Alex McCarthy” 

Staplewood, 14:05:
”Alex, could you empty your locker and leave the premises immediately, you’re now trespassing. Also your car has been towed, please pick it up outside the elsewhere. There are a number of fans outside who will happily drive you to your next destination”.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I don't think we can afford to piss around with McCarthy.  Any slightest interest by any club and he should be driven there immediately and left wrapped in swaddling on their doorstep. 

It could actually end up being really important to our season to have a decent alternative to Bazunu if required. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I loved the idea of Ronnie Edwards but after seeing our set-piece issues, and the fact we only have two starters over 6ft as it is, it may not be wise to go after a 5’11 CB.

Similar to Holgate who is just 6ft, and shit.

I think our fanbase needs to be more realistic with the players that are obtainable to us now.

Holgate and Edwards would be good additions to the team. 

This is also a league where Wesley Hoedt has been part of a defence that has kept two consecutive clean sheets 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It could actually end up being really important to our season to have a decent alternative to Bazunu if required. 

Spot on. Bazunu hasn’t been at fault for any goals this season - granted, but we could still do much better and I think we need that back up to really challenge him in case things do go belly up and we need to change tact mid season.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Spot on. Bazunu hasn’t been at fault for any goals this season - granted, but we could still do much better and I think we need that back up to really challenge him in case things do go belly up and we need to change tact mid season.

Trying to think of good 'sweeper' keepers that will be happy being on the bench most times in the 2nd division.

Just now, the saint in winchester said:

Sorry if this has been said somewhere in the 190 pages, but can't we just play Tall Paul as a CB. His height would be useful back there.

The bloke can’t run and he’s knackered after about 15 minutes on the pitch. 

19 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

I think our fanbase needs to be more realistic with the players that are obtainable to us now.

Holgate and Edwards would be good additions to the team. 

This is also a league where Wesley Hoedt has been part of a defence that has kept two consecutive clean sheets 

This makes footballers obtainable

xrd-exrd.gif

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I would be happy with a good keeper

I think we seen with AM if they are useless with the ball it just adds more pressure. Good keeper or not. I know the old school wont accept they need to be ball playing keepers these days in this system.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He was the willy replacement. If McCarthy goes we will replace him surely. 

Said at the time, why would a guy who just played two seasons as a starter in the Champ, and won Players Player of the Season last season, suddenly accept being a no3 keeper and not even making matchday squads?

Would be more logical that we brought in Lumley knowing that AMc is likely to move.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

”Alex, could you empty your locker and leave the premises immediately, you’re now trespassing. Also your car has been towed, please pick it up outside the elsewhere. There are a number of fans outside who will happily drive you to your next destination”.

You have 20 minute's to move your car

You have 10 minute's

Your car has been impounded

Your car has been crushed into a cube

You have 20 minute's to move your cube

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Not realistic - you know he will be dropping the contents of his locker all over the place so it will take ages. On the plus side, he'll be really good at picking up the dropped objects given he has had so much experience of picking the ball out of the net

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Wow !..this is could be the best window in the club's history, and this would be the icing on the cake. 

Let's not start all this "best window" and 8/10 nonsense again like we had last summer. 

We'll be significantly weaker and time will tell if we invest wisely. Majority of funds raised will clear down some of the overspending from last season. 

• Like 4

I think it is very sad how disrespectful some are to McCarthy. One season some incredible saves gained us points where we stayed up. Making him player of the season. 

Yes he's rubbish at distribution but when he came all the fancy Dan football at the back was not the current fashion. Time has moved on and he does not fit in the current set up, but please give him some respect. Before I get the comeback re his salary, he was not the goon who waved through his massive contract (very quietly)I thought at the time that it was really odd. Forster did look shot as well and he had a little renaissance at the end, that made him popular again, fans forgetting his horror shows eg League cup final and others during that period. 

• Like 23

13 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Wow !..this is could be the best window in the club's history, and this would be the icing on the cake. 

Come on!!! nothing will beat Keegan, Ball or Shilton and the raft of top players Lawrie brought to the club

• Like 2

Just now, OldNick said:

Come on!!! nothing will beat Keegan, Ball or Shilton and the raft of top players Lawrie brought to the club

Pedantic perhaps, but they weren't really signed in a "window" were they ?

Agree with you though, nothing will come close to the signing and announcement of KK. But very different times in how transfers were conducted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I think it is very sad how disrespectful some are to McCarthy. One season some incredible saves gained us points where we stayed up. Making him player of the season. 

Yes he's rubbish at distribution but when he came all the fancy Dan football at the back was not the current fashion. Time has moved on and he does not fit in the current set up, but please give him some respect. Before I get the comeback re his salary, he was not the goon who waved through his massive contract (very quietly)I thought at the time that it was really odd. Forster did look shot as well and he had a little renaissance at the end, that made him popular again, fans forgetting his horror shows eg League cup final and others during that period. 

A problem with McCarthy, and one that Bazuna needs to work on is communication. To be effective, keepers need be loud and communicative to their back line. McCarthy is more like he’s at communion. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JRM said:

Let's not start all this "best window" and 8/10 nonsense again like we had last summer. 

We'll be significantly weaker and time will tell if we invest wisely. Majority of funds raised will clear down some of the overspending from last season. 

Our model is to invest for the future. It's not about paying down last season's investments, they're paying for themselves, now and in the future. Now we find more young players we can flip for a profit

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

It seems a pretty appropriate, rational and natural response for many of our fans to be calling for some height and dominance in central defence, in light of our piss-poor defending of set pieces and crosses.

Is the set piece issue to do with players, or tactics and coaching? Our zonal marking seems particularly suicidal. 

Saw this just as I was going to post something similar. Given the egregiously bad defending in particular from their 1st and third (headed) goals, when players were left completely unmarked, it's not more height we need.. I'm desperately and optimistically trying to convince myself that a bit of coaching and players waking up to reality will improve matters vastly.

I was afraid of Martin's tactics of playing the ball out would lead to goals when our players played themselves into trouble: in the end against Norwich it was plain, straightforward incompetence at defending crosses.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Saw this just as I was going to post something similar. Given the egregiously bad defending in particular from their 1st and third (headed) goals, when players were left completely unmarked, it's not more height we need.. I'm desperately and optimistically trying to convince myself that a bit of coaching and players waking up to reality will improve matters vastly.

I was afraid of Martin's tactics of playing the ball out would lead to goals when our players played themselves into trouble: in the end against Norwich it was plain, straightforward incompetence at defending crosses.

You're absoutely right, ball watching and a lack of concentration together without the ruthless frame of mind to mark tightly. Our defensive coaching is hopeless. A free wheeling passing game WITH the ball is great but if we lose it we need to be ruthlessly tight, passing responsibility doesn't cut it and needs a dose of the hair dryer treatment to those at fault. Our defending is careless and needs a kick in the pants.

38 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

A problem with McCarthy, and one that Bazuna needs to work on is communication. To be effective, keepers need be loud and communicative to their back line. McCarthy is more like he’s at communion. 

That is a fair point. Dont think Forster was loud either. 

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Said at the time, why would a guy who just played two seasons as a starter in the Champ, and won Players Player of the Season last season, suddenly accept being a no3 keeper and not even making matchday squads?

Would be more logical that we brought in Lumley knowing that AMc is likely to move.

Lumley is a dreadful, would be surprised if we want him as second choice

34 minutes ago, derry said:

You're absoutely right, ball watching and a lack of concentration together without the ruthless frame of mind to mark tightly. Our defensive coaching is hopeless. A free wheeling passing game WITH the ball is great but if we lose it we need to be ruthlessly tight, passing responsibility doesn't cut it and needs a dose of the hair dryer treatment to those at fault. Our defending is careless and needs a kick in the pants.

We’ve played two matches. Lost neither our rebuild is work in progress. We have exciting new players coming in. How anyone can seriously judge our performance on two games is beyond belief. Very recently Martin said he was relieved he had a whole week to train with team.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, charliemiller said:

Kasper Schmicheal ?

Are we allowed to be negative with regards to any McCarthy replacements?

Schmeichel was really rubbish the season before last. That's why Leicester were happy to move on from him. Near post goals, letting stuff through him, drops, palming balls straight to strikers, poor decisions...pretty much everything we have been chastising McCarthy for. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

why? we are the financial powerhouse of the league (apparently).

Because he is a professional footballer. If Premier League side bid high enough he's a goner. He'll want the move and so will the Saints accountant.

However I'm becoming increasingly confident that the clubs owners aren't easily pushed around. There may be hope.

20 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

Didn’t think I’d be saying this, but I think losing Smallbone would be a big deal. Watched him against Reading, Wednesday and yesterday and was MOTM in all 3 imo.
He’s been a revelation, seems to always be available for a pass, very calm under pressure, uses it well, tackles, and has been the heartbeat of the team, in those games at least. Fits the new style of play perfectly, would imagine RM would want to keep him so hopefully he stays.
The only thing more concerning for me than our woeful defending yesterday was him limping off. 

Yes, he could be replaced, but would we get anyone better, no guarantees. As for Grimes, gets mentioned a lot on here, but haven’t seen anything linking us to him.

Re Alcaraz, like him too, but don’t think he’s consistent enough. I was very much in the thought he had a poor game camp yesterday, though got going in the last 15 mins. 

Totally agree re Smallbone. A real asset, needs to be given a decent contract.

Tad harsh on Alcaraz, I thought he was really effective. However once S Armstrong went off and Charles allowed him to go forward, he definitely stepped up a gear.

• Like 1

Lavia decides to join Chelsea over Liverpool

Lavia decides to join Chelsea over Liverpool

Getty Images

Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia has decided to join Chelsea.

Relations between the two clubs are good, so no issues are anticipated regarding an agreement.

A fee in the region of £50million plus add-ons is expected to seal the 19-year-old’s transfer.

Chelsea faced competition from Liverpool for the Belgium international, but the Anfield side are aware of Lavia's choice.

Lavia would be joining another Liverpool target, Moises Caicedo, in moving to Stamford Bridge

------

Latest update is that Lavia has made his decision. I'm happy for the lad 💪

Edited by Saint NL

15 minutes ago, manji said:

We’ve played two matches. Lost neither our rebuild is work in progress. We have exciting new players coming in. How anyone can seriously judge our performance on two games is beyond belief. Very recently Martin said he was relieved he had a whole week to train with team.

we let in 3 goals away vs a div 4 side and 4 goals in at home against an average div 2 side.

Entirely reasonable for people to be saying they are concerned over our defensive capabilities.

Problem is, pretty much all sides in this league will score the bulk of their goals from free kicks, corners, crosses, humps into the box. Unfortunately the very things that currently appear to be our biggest weakness at defending. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

we let in 3 goals away vs a div 4 side and 4 goals in at home against an average div 2 side.

Entirely reasonable for people to be saying they are concerned over our defensive capabilities.

Problem is, pretty much all sides in this league will score the bulk of their goals from free kicks, corners, crosses, humps into the box. Unfortunately the very things that currently appear to be our biggest weakness at defending. 

The league cup game wasn't exactly our first choice side though was it.

• Like 1

So...I mentioned this on another thread, but it's all well and good getting excited about the fee's we've managed to make from Tino, JWP, Lavia, Salisu etc (upwards of £100m) and the wages we've saved on McCarthy, Moi, Theo etc but it's all irrelevant unless we ensure this is invested correctly.

This is our last opportunity to generate decent fee's with our current batch, failure to reinvest this correctly will lead to a long time in lower league football.

Jason Willcox has a big job on, but I'm sure they've been planning for this for some time! Flynn Downes in on loan is a positive start, but we need to keep pushing.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Totally agree re Smallbone. A real asset, needs to be given a decent contract.

Tad harsh on Alcaraz, I thought he was really effective. However once S Armstrong went off and Charles allowed him to go forward, he definitely stepped up a gear.

I'm wondering who misses out when Alcaraz, Smallbone, Downes and Charles are all available. We have really good depth in midfield at the moment