Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Thank you, i'm glad someone said this. Never understand why people feel the need to undermine the role of Wellington and the predominately Anglo (and dutch) army at Waterloo. People forget that Blucher was first routed by Napoleon who succeeded in splitting the allied armies before they could join against him, he then turned on Wellington who had held out against the French (i think under Grouchy but CBA to google) whilst the Prussians withdrew, before retreating to waterloo and making his stand against Napoleon (and the bulk of the French army/artillery). He held long enough to allow some of Blucher's forces to get past Grouchy and arrive late in the battle to complete what was an allied rout of Napoleon. Blucher didn't win that battle, the allied forces did, neither of them would have done it alone. And most of wellington's troops were not German/Prussian (although some were) as Badger claimed. The reality is that without Wellington at Waterloo it would have been a very different world history we'd be learning about today - he was arguably the greatest general of that time period, and certainly the best defensive tactician - shame we can't get him on set pieces really.

Wellington also had the foresight to choose the battlefield. He had senn/scouted the site a couple of years before and set up his position based on his prior knowledge...

• Like 2

Tick tock. Reckon there needs to be more outgoings before we see further players in. Risky strategy although with over a week to go, not critical. Yet.  Get the feeling there’s a high probability that we’ll be left (again) with no decent striker when Che goes at the 11th hour on a last minute £15m bid from a desperate Everton. 🫣

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yeah but think how much frigging history you've learned.

It's been well useful and I now understand the strategy behind us playing the transfer long game. Dying to do a wellie pun too.

7 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Please can we keep the history chat away from this thread? If you nerds want to give each other a historic reach around then please do it in DM. I come here to read about transfers. If I wanted to go over shit I learnt, and subsequently forgot about at school, I’d pick up a history book

Well said!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Please can we keep the history chat away from this thread? If you nerds want to give each other a historic reach around then please do it in DM. I come here to read about transfers. If I wanted to go over shit I learnt, and subsequently forgot about at school, I’d pick up a history book

If you’ve come to read about transfers your going to be disappointed, today especially 

• Like 2

Can we siphon off the tedious war related guff on this thread so that those of us who have to catch up after work don't have to wade through it all like we're actually in the Somme.

Also find it weird that all the posts have been left untouched after a load were deleted from the Women's thread that were actually talking about the players and therefore far more relevant than people banging on about battlefields. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Another day down. Just over a week for these signings. 

I think Everton must have spent the day counting the coppers they found after hunting down the back of their sofa. Their need seems quite urgent. You'd think they'd have tried to get the deal done on Monday so there was half a chance Che could be on their bench at least at the weekend. 

11 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Can we siphon off the tedious war related guff on this thread so that those of us who have to catch up after work don't have to wade through it all like we're actually in the Somme.

Also find it weird that all the posts have been left untouched after a load were deleted from the Women's thread that were actually talking about the players and therefore far more relevant than people banging on about battlefields. 

What's your beef with wellington posts? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Where is the transfer news ? 

I have waded through two pages of absolute bollacks from fully grown men acting like a bunch of ice cream sandwiches.... 

Mods is this a transfer thread or  playground zone... sort it out for duck sakes!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Hove and Wood, then replacing anyone of the first team squad who leave I reckon.

I hope that as well as Hove and Wood, that we replace Adams when he goes, and I'm confident that we will. I'm fearful that we'll lose Tella or Sulemana though and not replace whichever one goes. I think we can afford to see Djenepo, Paul, and ABK all leave without replacement, but only if we get Hove and Wood. Lyanco is a shocker, but he's just about adequate as 4th pick.

9 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I have waded through two pages of absolute bollacks from fully grown men acting like a bunch of ice cream sandwiches.... 

Mods is this a transfer thread or  playground zone... sort it out for duck sakes!

There's none.

• Like 1

What are the rules around loans for EFL clubs? I know PL it's two loans max from two different clubs, but every season it seems like there's a promoted team that comes up and has to buy loads of players to replace their loanees.

16 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Fully grown men ? How did you come to that conclusion ? 

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

You normally come wading into this thread with a bunch of random, obscure players you've seen on Football Manager and say, "get it done!" So I couldn't be crowing too loudly about going off topic.

In short, there isn't any, you haven't missed anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Someone needs to put them down and start again, they're in a right old mess.

Apparently they were only offering £5m up front of Che, the remaining 8-10m was spread over a few years (that shows how utterly skint they are). They wanted Gnonto as well, but as Leeds wanted actual money, they couldn't get him.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Appy said:

This Everton news tonight could be good news for us keeping Adams

Leeds United are striving to sign Joel Piroe, who has been targeted by Everton this summer.

Sean Dyche will have to act fast if he still harbours any ambitions of bringing Piroe to Goodison Park. However, it seems that the Merseyside club have opted to set their sights on Southampton forward Che Adams instead. 

Leeds interest to the next level with moves for Swansea striker Joel Piroe, Rangers maestro Glen Kamara and Genk man Joseph Paintsil on the cards.

Looks like Neverton, broke ass FFP dogers are holding up the proceess!

Will RM be the decider if Neverton finally play their hand, last transfer day scamble?  

Will we have the upper hand if PAintsil does move to EFL?

Edited by BERMUDASAINT

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

What is this catch up after work you speak of.

I thought we posted during work so we are paid per post.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Just gotta worry about Fulham now Selling Mitrovic or Wolves soon to be selling Nunes instead I guess.

fulham have alredy signed his replacement - they've brought in Jimenez from Wolves .

My money is still on him going to Bournemouth. I reckon Solanke will move to West Ham and they'll nip in for Adams late in the window. 

Just now, Dman said:

fulham have alredy signed his replacement - they've brought in Jimenez from Wolves .

My money is still on him going to Bournemouth. I reckon Solanke will move to West Ham and they'll nip in for Adams late in the window. 

Derby tax there then. 😉

Just now, SaintsFan86 said:

Derby tax there then. 😉

It'll be just as bad a move for him though. Despite spending a few bob, Bournemouth look terrible from what I've seen of them. They'll stay up as there will be 3 teams worse than them, much like Everton. 

There's probably 5 teams fighting to not be that 3rd team to go down with Sheff Utd and Luton. 

1 minute ago, Viking Saint said:

Just read that talks are underway with Hellas Verona for them to sign Aribo on loan with option to buy

Really? A little surprised with that though not massively bothered. I thought he was someone who was onboard with Martin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Really? A little surprised with that though not massively bothered. I thought he was someone who was onboard with Martin.

We're in a situation where everyone in the squad is available for the right price, I think. £10million for Aribo would probably do it (although loan with option is a little strange, I guess). 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

We're in a situation where everyone in the squad is available for the right price, I think. £10million for Aribo would probably do it (although loan with option is a little strange, I guess). 

£10m for Aribo, for real?

£2m tops I'd have thought, but a loan is the most realistic option. No way we make a profit on him if we sell him, almost certainly a loss.

Edited by S-Clarke

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If 10 million is on the cards it’s a no brainer. He’s not a starter but a useful sub.

Anyway, I’m only seeing these rumours emanate from 2 or 3 days ago, so we’ll see.