Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

31 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

I think the strategy is clear.

They are trying to bank the money raised to spend on players when promoted. If we spent £100m on players now, we would just end up with a squad full of Championship players. Top players aren't going to sign for us. If we spend that £100m next summer (along with the extra Premier League promotion cash) we could build a midtable Premier League squad fairly easily. That's why the loans are useful, so that we don't have to hold onto the likes of Downes, Fraser and Holgate who have not proved themselves as established Premier League players and are on high wages.

The only players they have looked interested in buying for a fee (Charles and Wood) are young, on cheap wages and have the potential to develop into Premier League players. I'm confident that we would have been interested in signing them had we not been relegated.

Martin said that there will be players that are here to help us get promoted, but won't be with us for the journey beyond that. This is clearly a reference to the loan players, but having cost nothing I suspect it could include Manning too and perhaps other low cost signings.

Obviously there is an element of risk that we might not get promoted this season. Leicester have gone all-in on this season with a massive wage bill and will be in serious trouble if they don't get promoted, whereas we are in a strong position to push for promotion for the next 3 seasons with our funds and young squad. It depends on what you classify as risk.

Well written piece and I totally agree.

My only concern is when reaching the premiership I don’t want to rebuild the team again. 
When we got promoted last time we had a settled squad of players who knew each others game really well. I think we finished 10th that season with some fine team performances.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

My only concern is when reaching the premiership I don’t want to rebuild the team again. 
When we got promoted last time we had a settled squad of players who knew each others game really well. I think we finished 10th that season with some fine team performances.

We brought in:

- Gaston

- J Rod

- Clyne

Yoshida

- Davis

- Boruc

We also had Luke Shaw and JWP come through the youth team, and then we brought in Pochettino half way through. We also released loads of players who had helped us up on free transfers or on loans (Harding, Sharp, Hammond, Barnard, Chaplow, Butterfield etc). We finished 14th on 41 points with 9 wins.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

The game has changed massively now to be honest. 

Any promoted club needs to immediately rebuild and spend a shit load of money as the gap is so big. 

The fact we look like prime Barcelona against these championship teams says it all. There is a huge gap now. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

I think the strategy is clear.

They are trying to bank the money raised to spend on players when promoted. If we spent £100m on players now, we would just end up with a squad full of Championship players. Top players aren't going to sign for us. If we spend that £100m next summer (along with the extra Premier League promotion cash) we could build a midtable Premier League squad fairly easily. That's why the loans are useful, so that we don't have to hold onto the likes of Downes, Fraser and Holgate who have not proved themselves as established Premier League players and are on high wages.

The only players they have looked interested in buying for a fee (Charles and Wood) are young, on cheap wages and have the potential to develop into Premier League players. I'm confident that we would have been interested in signing them had we not been relegated.

Martin said that there will be players that are here to help us get promoted, but won't be with us for the journey beyond that. This is clearly a reference to the loan players, but having cost nothing I suspect it could include Manning too and perhaps other low cost signings.

Obviously there is an element of risk that we might not get promoted this season. Leicester have gone all-in on this season with a massive wage bill and will be in serious trouble if they don't get promoted, whereas we are in a strong position to push for promotion for the next 3 seasons with our funds and young squad. It depends on what you classify as risk.

It is not at all easy to build a mid table premier league squad. Look at the amount of money and players Forest had to spend/accumulate just to scrape survival.

I'd personally prefer not to be sell all our premier league capable players such as KWP.

History has shown not getting promoted again immediately is a very risky strategy, hence why it is very understandable why Leicester are committing to immediate promotion. I fully get not spending 100M but I certainly don't want saints hedging too much for getting promoted in 3 years time when we should be committing to an immediate return whilst we've got a massive finciancial advantage over the rest of the championship.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

It is not at all easy to build a mid table premier league squad. Look at the amount of money and players Forest had to spend/accumulate just to scrape survival.

I'd personally prefer not to be sell all our premier league capable players such as KWP.

History has shown not getting promoted again immediately is a very risky strategy, hence why it is very understandable why Leicester are committing to immediate promotion. I fully get not spending 100M but I certainly don't want saints hedging too much for getting promoted in 3 years time when we should be committing to an immediate return whilst we've got a massive finciancial advantage over the rest of the championship.

Interested as to why you think Leicester are committing to promotion but we’re not?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

See that the 'Aberdeen guy' is a starter today.

Duk isn’t who is the other one we’ve been linked with there 

he is actually I didn’t realise his real name is Luís Henriques de Barros Lopes 🤣🤣

Edited by Turkish

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Interested as to why you think Leicester are committing to promotion but we’re not?

We'll see what commitment we've shown in a week's time. i was responding to 'Luke Sky-walker peters' belief that we were setting up to be in 'strong position for promotion in 3 years time', which i think is not fully committing to promotion now. Leicester have won all their games, kept a number of premier league calibre players(i don't think that'll change at this point but i could be wrong), which i think Luke Sky-walkers peters described as being 'all in'

40 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Careful, that's far too sensible for this forum.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Duk isn’t who is the other one we’ve been linked with there 

he is actually I didn’t realise his real name is Luís Henriques de Barros Lopes 🤣🤣

Dujan Miovski, played 90, didn't score. Duk started as well. Thierry Small on the bench for St.Mirren, winning 2-1. Ended 2-2, Dujan scored penalty.

Edited by VectisSaint
Miovski scored late equalising pen.

19 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Dujan Miovski, played 90, didn't score. Duk started as well. Thierry Small on the bench for St.Mirren, winning 2-1.

Heads already at St Mary’s. 

Edited by Badger
  • Haha 2

Squad as it stands (using the senior squad list on Wikipedia so excluding youngsters unless they are on there...) and my thoughts in brackets. (Work is quiet)

GK: Bazunu, Lumley, McCarthy, Bycroft (Surely one out, loan or sale)

RB: KWP, Bree (Fine if it stays the same)

LB: Manning, Perraud, Larios, Meghoma (Again fine, although I wonder if Perraud is happy on the bench. Still possible loans out for the youngsters?)

CB: Bednarek, Stephens, Lyanco, Holgate, ABK (With one more CB being sought and probably coming in, and Lyanco probably off to Celtic, we should be fine unless ABK goes). 

CM: Charles, Downes, Smallbone, Doyle, Alcaraz (Again looks OK. Maybe one more in? I haven't seen much of Kami Doyle to know if he's ready.)

AM/Wing: SArmstrong, Edozie, SAA, Fraser, Sulemana, Djenepo, Aribo (IMO we are stocked here, surely we will be seeing one or two out? And then there is the Tella replacement and the fact AA can play in these positions better than his own...)

Str: AA, Adams, Mara, Onuachu, Ballard (Definitely need one in - I'd even say as much if Adams stayed as Mara and Onuachu have so far not contributed much, Ballard is raw and AA is better deeper or wider. Getting the striker right is the key to promotion IMO).

It's pretty easy to see where we are overloaded right now, more so if you consider AA is better in the AM/Wing category, EVEN more so if you consider Alcaraz an AM. I'm glad to see Martin thinks Tella will be replaced but I do think we'll see a few 'outs yet'.

Ins? CB, a CM/AM, a right winger and a striker. 4 in I reckon.

4 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Squad as it stands (using the senior squad list on Wikipedia so excluding youngsters unless they are on there...) and my thoughts in brackets. (Work is quiet)

GK: Bazunu, Lumley, McCarthy, Bycroft (Surely one out, loan or sale)

RB: KWP, Bree (Fine if it stays the same)

LB: Manning, Perraud, Larios, Meghoma (Again fine, although I wonder if Perraud is happy on the bench. Still possible loans out for the youngsters?)

CB: Bednarek, Stephens, Lyanco, Holgate, ABK (With one more CB being sought and probably coming in, and Lyanco probably off to Celtic, we should be fine unless ABK goes). 

CM: Charles, Downes, Smallbone, Doyle, Alcaraz (Again looks OK. Maybe one more in? I haven't seen much of Kami Doyle to know if he's ready.)

AM/Wing: SArmstrong, Edozie, SAA, Fraser, Sulemana, Djenepo, Aribo (IMO we are stocked here, surely we will be seeing one or two out? And then there is the Tella replacement and the fact AA can play in these positions better than his own...)

Str: AA, Adams, Mara, Onuachu, Ballard (Definitely need one in - I'd even say as much if Adams stayed as Mara and Onuachu have so far not contributed much, Ballard is raw and AA is better deeper or wider. Getting the striker right is the key to promotion IMO).

It's pretty easy to see where we are overloaded right now, more so if you consider AA is better in the AM/Wing category, EVEN more so if you consider Alcaraz an AM. I'm glad to see Martin thinks Tella will be replaced but I do think we'll see a few 'outs yet'.

Ins? CB, a CM/AM, a right winger and a striker. 4 in I reckon.

I'd say S.Armstrong should be in CM list

10 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I'd say S.Armstrong should be in CM list

One thing we do have at the moment is good versatility within the squad - players that can play in different positions if needed. KWP can play left back, Manning apparently can play CM, Holgate can play right back, Larios can play right back, Charles can play CB, SA, Smallbone and Alcaraz can all play CM or AM, Aribo and Djenepo can play in a couple of positions, Edozie right or left wing, AA obviously either AM or wing.

If we do get an injury crisis this season I think we are in a strong position to cover it - but we will see what this week brings with the window still open.

Edited by SNSUN
  • Like 2

RM is saying what the fans want to hear, there's no way we spend to replace Tella after seeing RF's cameo on sat, behind the scenes they will know RF will do a good job in the championship,  just like the 4 players patiently waiting to come here, yeah right we'll see, I maybe think RM thought he'd get a bit to spend but instead told to do on the cheap, I do get it, I wouldn't want to spend £myself but when we were told at the start we didn't need to sell anyone then subsequently sell £150m of talent does make you wonder conversations above 

Edited by danjosaint

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Fool

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

In what way are they committing to immediate promotion? I don’t know how good their squad is, only like us have played ok, haven’t been tested - although we’ve played a good Norwich side - and have still got the results. 

One issue Martin is addressing is replacing the losing mentality to always pushing and striving to play better and win. Hopefully the remaining squad work well together. I think that counts for a lot rather than having a star player(s) to rely on. If we can get a good CF in if Adams is going there is no reason to think Saints cannot push for promotion. No guarantees but Saints should be up there with Leicester and Leeds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

So not Celtic then. Well that's one player we didn't need off the books.

Shame. I was hoping after Brendan had done his raids on us for £15m, that Lyanco would go on and be as successful for him as Vestergaard and Bertrand had been.

I watched the St Mirren v Aberdeen game today. My first reaction the standard was poor and slow. Miovski was pretty anonymous certainly not a physical threat, scored penalty in injury time. Duk looked nippy but again not much action. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Excellent news. Now if ABK goes I wonder if we will get another one in or stick with Holgate abd Woods? 

We need four senior CBs, plus we have Charles who could cover as a 5th.

I would say we expect ABK to go (maybe a loan would suit all, as long as he plays and retains/increases in value) so then if Woods were to come in then thats a strong four.

Whether Stephens' injury may change things then who knows, but with Charles I think we can cover it.

I keep reading this thread and am mystified how little patience people have for young players nowadays.

People writing off 19/20 yr olds who have been dropped into a shit show last year and are learning both the game and this new system this season but laud Tella who only had a good season when he was 22/23 yrs old.

Fuck me remember the finished article bergkamp signed from inter didn't score a goal for arsenal until his Nov hatrick v us.

Calm Down Season 5 GIF by Outlander

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I keep reading this thread and am mystified how little patience people have for young players nowadays.

People writing off 19/20 yr olds who have been dropped into a shit show last year and are learning both the game and this new system this season but laud Tella who only had a good season when he was 22/23 yrs old.

Fuck me remember the finished article bergkamp signed from inter didn't score a goal for arsenal until his Nov hatrick v us.

Calm Down Season 5 GIF by Outlander

The problem is none of our players have the luxury of playing against us to end their poor form