Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

as mentioned, the club are concerned about what gets into the public domain, which is why despite the criticism we have received we are adhering to the clubs guidelines by not saying too much until we can. Those sharper ones amongst you will have noticed on of our senior members posted last week where they said they hoped the next Stewart that joins us was a bigger success than the last, Stuart Ripley. A clear nod to the current transfer situation.

Can't be blamed for leaks if you post it after it's already out in the media, very smart. All hail COT.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

as mentioned, the club are concerned about what gets into the public domain, which is why despite the criticism we have received we are adhering to the clubs guidelines by not saying too much until we can. Those sharper ones amongst you will have noticed on of our senior members posted last week where they said they hoped the next Stewart that joins us was a bigger success than the last, Stuart Ripley. A clear nod to the current transfer situation.

Be amazing how you will be able to give us a clue when we are in for Blerim Džemaili

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not much happening today then. Looks like tomorrow will be busy. What was the name of the supposed itk twitter source that said we had a medical booked today? That's one to cross off the list. 

Strap in hypo, the next couple of days are going to CRAZY. Keep refreshing this forum for all the latest clues, rumours, catchphrases and world class banter.

• Like 2

Nothing of note happened today then with regards to outgoings. I wouldn't entertain any bids after tomorrow. The last thing we need are players leaving on deadline day. If KWP, Adams, Sulemana are here by the end of the day tomorrow then the club should say that's that.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Nothing of note happened today then with regards to outgoings. I wouldn't entertain any bids after tomorrow. The last thing we need are players leaving on deadline day. If KWP, Adams, Sulemana are here by the end of the day tomorrow then the club should say that's that.

Would that be the cut off point for mattress moistening ?

If we can't shift Tall Paul, Sulemana and ABK before the end of the week does this mean we are going to be stuck with them playing in the reserves - if at all - and eating up money we could use elsewhere?

And going down in value?

I think I'd have taken any offer for Sulemana and ABK that got us our money back to get them off the wage bill.  And with Tall Paul I would have accepted a short term loss to avoid a longer term loss.

Edited by Rebel

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Any likelihood of that ?

Very little. If they had it, they'd of used it by now. A Painsil transfer would bring in some money but he doesn't seem to be moving, certainly not quickly. They will want a risk and relatively cost free loan. We might blink at last minute and grant them that. Strikers are hard to come by, so I imagine we will hold out until tomorrow and then take whatever is on offer on Friday.

Just now, Rebel said:

If we can't shift Tall Paul, Sulemana and ABK before the end of the week does this mean we are going to stuck with them playing in the reserves - if at all - and eating up money we could use elsewhere?

I think I'd have taken any offer for Sulemana and ABK that got us our money back to get them off the wage bill.  And with Tall Paul I would have accepted a short term loss to avoid a longer term loss.

Not sure anyone has bid for Tall Paul, which is not surprising.

Dortmund supposedly only have £10m to spend, so both they and Bayern just seem to want to take ABK on loan. That doesn't meet your criteria. If clubs like them want him, he must be decent, so they come up with the money or fuck off.

Wanting £30m for Sulemena is a lot, but many on here have been saying we should not allow these guys to go cheaply. Whether Everton really offered £21m is debatable. How much Nice offered earlier in the summer I don't know, but I am guessing £15m max. Neither offer gets our money back. Do we accept a lower figure and then cry about it when he flashes brilliance at Everton and becomes a £50m player? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not that it would happen, but imagine if we still have (and committed) Adams, KwP, AbK & Sully

I don't think anybody would've expected Gnonto to be playing & scoring for Leeds a week ago but it proves players can get their head down even if they were desperate for the move.

I'd be happy if we kept 50% of those players because I'm still expecting 0 at this point.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Not sure anyone has bid for Tall Paul, which is not surprising.

Dortmund supposedly only have £10m to spend, so both they and Bayern just seem to want to take ABK on loan. That doesn't meet your criteria. If clubs like them want him, he must be decent, so they come up with the money or fuck off.

Wanting £30m for Sulemena is a lot, but many on here have been saying we should not allow these guys to go cheaply. Whether Everton really offered £21m is debatable. How much Nice offered earlier in the summer I don't know, but I am guessing £15m max. Neither offer gets our money back. Do we accept a lower figure and then cry about it when he flashes brilliance at Everton and becomes a £50m player? 

true we don't know what was offered for ABK or Sulemana - maybe the offers were so lowball they weren't even worth contemplating.

But I think holding out for £25M and £30M is probably a bit too  hardline.

I still think Sulemana will be another Djenepo - I don't see him as a £50M player.  But I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd accept bids for Onuachu and Sulemena right up to 11pm. ABK, KWP and Adams would be dependant on us being able to do a deal to bring in a replacement. IMO:

Wood will come in. ABK will be sold.

Stewart will come in, Che will be sold. 

Sulemena will go out on loan and so will Onuachu.

KWP...I don't want to hear his name mentioned until Saturday, but I fear his transfer will just come out of nowhere. He's too good a player for the Championship. I think West Ham will sign him, with Ben Johnson coming here, on loan, maybe. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rebel said:

true we don't know what was offered for ABK or Sulemana - maybe the offers were so lowball they weren't even worth contemplating.

I still think Sulemana will be another Djenepo - I don't see him as a £50M player.  But I could be wrong. 

It would be suicide to take a huge loss on a player we only bought 6 months ago and is young enough to improve and was signed with sell-on in mind, I don't think we can even contemplate a loss. A loan, with a loan fee, and an option to buy which breaks even would be passable - but anything around the £15m mark, even if that is genuinely what he's worth right now, just isn't going to float.

Onuachu is another kettle of fish, he was bought with no eye on re-sale. We just panicked and Rasmus picked a player who he knew from a previous club. Totally not fit for our style last season and even less suited to it this season. I think this is one the club will have to admit defeat on and take a loss. (probably a 50% loss). Selling back to Genk makes sense because we could potentially just give him to them for free, in exchange for us not paying a future instalment. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I think Sulemana is a much better (more refined) prospect than Djenepo. I can understand the club's thinking. They really rate him, which is why they spent so much on him. I've no problem with them holding out for that. It may backfire though, which is why I think they choose to loan him rather than have him upset the apple cart. Very intriguing situation. 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'd accept bids for Onuachu and Sulemena right up to 11pm. ABK, KWP and Adams would be dependant on us being able to do a deal to bring in a replacement. IMO:

Wood will come in. ABK will be sold.

Stewart will come in, Che will be sold. 

Sulemena will go out on loan and so will Onuachu.

KWP...I don't want to hear his name mentioned until Saturday, but I fear his transfer will just come out of nowhere. He's too good a player for the Championship. I think West Ham will sign him, with Ben Johnson coming here, on loan, maybe. 

I agree, we can probably lose those two without panicking too much - they're not offering anything today, so losing them for 'tomorrow' will make little difference. Like you say, the other 3 are dependant on us getting people in - first. We can't be in a situation where we sell Che on Friday lunchtime, and are then flapping around trying to complete a deal at 8pm.

I like to think we're sensible now, people in charge who are a little more clued up and less prone to panic. However if there are no signs of any replacements being done by late Thursday, then we have to close the door on those 3 sales IMO.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

ABK probably should be playing in a top league even a top team, so I can't blame him for wanting to leave especially with the Euros next summer and in Germany. But we must get the right value. If that ends up being a big loan fee and big obligation to buy price then sobeit.

Sulemana has done nothing to demand a move so putting in a request for a transfer (if in fact true) is unwarranted other than self interest and probably ego. I would hope though that once the opportunity to move disappears after Friday then maybe he can get his head back in the club without distraction because I do think he could be an asset for us. But I do not think we should just let him go because he's unhappy playing the Championship. Pathetic attitude.

• Like 1

'City's Palmer says yes to Chelsea'

Man City forward Cole Palmer has accepted Chelsea's proposal for a permanent transfer to Stamford Bridge, according to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano. 

The report claims £45m would be enough for Chelsea to satisfy City's demands, with the clubs yet to agree a fee at this stage.

Why? What's the point? What in gods name is Chelsea's strategy here?

Palmer came out bleating that he wanted to play, so the last place you go is Chelsea - surely.  £££££££ speaks I guess.

• Haha 1

I think we're all a bit burnt by VVD downing tools and sulking all those years ago.  In reality most players don't act like that if they are refused a move and instead knuckle down and do their best. 

I hope we hold firm on Sulemana.  Tell him to show his worth on the pitch and we'll review in January

• Like 2

Just now, Barsiem said:

I think we're all a bit burnt by VVD downing tools and sulking all those years ago.  In reality most players don't act like that if they are refused a move and instead knuckle down and do their best. 

I hope we hold firm on Sulemana.  Tell him to show his worth on the pitch and we'll review in January

The thing with Sulemana is that he hasn't even proven himself to justify those personal demands. At least Gnonto had proven himself in the PL over a decent period, we've literally just got 1 game to go on with Sulemana - and prior to that, a patchy involvement at Rennes. 

If I was him, I'd knuckle down and make himself a key player in a side that is winning - then he can be in a position to start 'demanding' moves, but as of today he's proven nothing so I find it rather odd.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree, we can probably lose those two without panicking too much - they're not offering anything today, so losing them for 'tomorrow' will make little difference. Like you say, the other 3 are dependant on us getting people in - first. We can't be in a situation where we sell Che on Friday lunchtime, and are then flapping around trying to complete a deal at 8pm.

I like to think we're sensible now, people in charge who are a little more clued up and less prone to panic. However if there are no signs of any replacements being done by late Thursday, then we have to close the door on those 3 sales IMO.

Stewart signs on the dotted line, we sanction the Che move. Sounds simple, but it relies on two deals being done in two days, including very important medicals. We could do with Sunderland agreeing to our offer this evening...but they seem to be waiting for their own striker deal for Nazariy Rusyn to be completed. We have a domino rally in the offing.

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Dortmund probably

I was going to say the same thing. They want him. The deal isn't dead.

I know they have struggled to sell players this summer, but they are still £50m to the good transfer fee wise, so there could still be money there. That said, they usually overspend on wages big style and recoup their losses through player sales - so the £50m may not exist.

2 hours ago, Fozzybear said:

This is what drives me up the wall about the modern footballer and their inflated sense of entitlement. He is 8 months into a contract with us, with at least 3 1/2 years left on it, we are paying his damn wages (earning more in a week than I do in a year), and he's barely kicked a ball! Relegation should not have come as a surprise, given that he joined us when we were rock bottom of the EPL, so why doesn't get his head down, play some football and earn a move out of the club? 

We'd all love to see what he can do playing in the Championship, and was, along with Tella, one of those I was really looking forward to seeing what they could do for the team this season.

We should 100% stick to our guns and refuse any deal below the release clause fee - after all , Kamaldeen signed the contract which included that figure.

Agreed 100%. Fuck him. 

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The thing with Sulemana is that he hasn't even proven himself to justify those personal demands. At least Gnonto had proven himself in the PL over a decent period, we've literally just got 1 game to go on with Sulemana - and prior to that, a patchy involvement at Rennes. 

If I was him, I'd knuckle down and make himself a key player in a side that is winning - then he can be in a position to start 'demanding' moves, but as of today he's proven nothing so I find it rather odd.

if I was him I'd do my best to get a move to a prem side, paying me a shit load more than I will be at Saints and giving me 38 Prem games in which to look the nuts and get a mega money move to Chelsea. 

Just now, Granite_City_Saint said:

If I could only pick one, I would go for the train driver every time - best strikers by far, perhaps why they are the highest paid 🤣

train drivers are usually at the right place at the right time (although not always), but a postman always delivers...that's the kind of striker you want.

So, I've trawled all today's posts and basically not much to much to report except some vague stuff. Nevertheless, a summary of all the snippets and vague hints and no mentions which may hint at where we are at (if rumours are to be believed) seems to be this:

• Hoping to sign a striker - looking likely to Stewart, for whom we have launched another bid.
  • Signing another striker would be independent of whether or not Che leaves.
  • Other rumours about strikers (presumably the players from the Scotttish Premiership) may be simply untrue.
  • Che may or may not leave - RM hopes he stays. If he does leave we will definitely be signing a replacement.
  • We will find out on Saturday who is going to be captain in the absence of JS. This seems to hint it may depend on whether Che stays or leaves as he has been promised the vice captaincy if he stays and signs a new contract.
  • ABK's transfer seems to have fallen through - no further news on him going anywhere else.
  • No further news on ther potential purchase of Nathan Wood.
  • Sulemana is wanted by Everton but they and others refuse to pay £30m, so he is not going anywhere. He is sulking and reportedly has handed in a transfer request.
  • No news on KWP except to say he has been training with the first team which suggests he is not going anywhere.
  • Larios is back in training and fits better with RM's style than Perraud.
  • Tall Paul is possibly refusing to even train but no other club seem ready to pay what is required to take him off our hands.
  • RM and the club are annoyed at news leaks from the club.Some suggest this is why we are hearing less news at the moment despite being so close to the closure of the window.
  • No mention anywhere about any GK transfers in or out.
  • No mention anywhere about signing Johnson or other FB.
  • Nothing mentioned about signing a replacement for Tella.
  • No further mentions about signing Johan Hove.
  • New rumours suggest we may be interested in signing Celtic midfielder Matt O'Riley, who was previously managed by RM at MK Dons.
  • Some vague discussion that we may still be intersted in Taylor Harwood-Bellis from Man City.

Other than these vague snippets, you will find a blazing row that seems to have started around accounting terminology like 'amortised' and the subseqwuent meaning of the word 'profit' and theerfore what level of profit Saints may or may not have made from selling certain players. The row has deepened into a slanging match around whether or not someone should be allowed to disagree with someone else - sorry I haven't read many of those later posts with any focus to get to the bottom of the exact details of their row!

Finally, you will find the usual expression and debate of opinions about what may or may not happen in the next few days.

For those that want to save themselves an hour of trawling the days comments, I hope this is useful! :)

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

train drivers are usually at the right place at the right time (although not always), but a postman always delivers...that's the kind of striker you want.

What about the teachers? No one reads the game like a teacher. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1