Russell Martin

LegalEagle

2 hours ago, egg said:

That's contrary to something I heard (from someone to be trusted) a wee while ago which essentially was that there were concerns about him if we made it up. 

There are concerns about him if we don’t go up!  

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Turkish said:

how does conceding a goal in a game you lose by one goal not contribute to losing a game? You're going to have to explain that one

The third goal, Player almost on the penalty spot is allowed all day to fall over whilst 4 players stood watching not reacting, nothing to do with dis-organisation. You need to watch the game again as i did notice the other day you said we conceded the 2nd and 3rd goals after Bree got sent off. 

I know, I got that wrong, realised when I watched the highlights, but didn't have any posts to correct it.

I don't think I really need to explain about their first, if you don't understand then that's your problem not mine.

14 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I know, I got that wrong, realised when I watched the highlights, but didn't have any posts to correct it.

I don't think I really need to explain about their first, if you don't understand then that's your problem not mine.

If you lose a game 3-2 how does conceding one of those three goals not contribute to you losing the game? Anyone else not get what you’re on about?

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If you lose a game 3-2 how does conceding one of those three goals not contribute to you losing the game? Anyone else not get what you’re on about?

I'm not sure what the original comments were (too depressing to go back and try and find it) but when we equalised I thought - great, we've effectively reset the match now that we're level.  Even better then to go 2-1 up fairly soon after.   So for me their 2nd and 3rd goals were key.  if we'd gone 0-2 up then of course their subsequent 1st goal would have greater significance because it could be seen as the one that started the comeback.   That might have been what was meant....??

Anyway - on to Blackburn!

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Yep we will get absolutely murdered if we go up. Conceding 51 goals with players like THB and KWP in the back 4 is unbelievable. We’d concede over 100 if we went up 

That's their concern as i was told. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go whatever happens this season. He's just not been good enough with the squad that he has. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

There are concerns about him if we don’t go up!  

I've no doubt about that, although I haven't been told that's how the club feel. My info was a few months ago before the wheels fell off and rolled down the road. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

That's their concern as i was told. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go whatever happens this season. He's just not been good enough with the squad that he has. 

I’m surprised they’re surprised though. His track record was there for all to see before we went and got him. His teams concede a lot of goals, always have. As things stand he doesn’t look like the man to get us up and he certainly ain’t the man to keep us up. 

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I heard a quote from the commentators for the Ipswich game that we don't bother to analyse our opponents.

I read or heard somewhere that we analyse their set plays, but not their style of play/formations etc. 

Liverpool under the boot room were the same, only they had Alan Hanson, Graham Souness & Kenny Dalglish, not Ryan Manning, Will fucking Smallbone & Che Adams. 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, egg said:

Who's calling the shots and making that decision now though, with Wilcox out of the picture? Presumably it's back to Rasmus again for decisions like that, identifying and hiring the new DOF etc. 

Christ. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Didn't he have a purple patch last season at Swansea, like a pound-shop version of our 25 game thing? 

I wonder if his time at MK witnessed the same?

I think they had a strong finish to the season where they narrowly missed out on the play offs. I believe this was put down to Russball finally clicking with the team. The exactly opposite of what’s happened to us so wonder what’ll be the excuse this season.

50 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I read or heard somewhere that we analyse their set plays, but not their style of play/formations etc. 

Liverpool under the boot room were the same, only they had Alan Hanson, Graham Souness & Kenny Dalglish, not Ryan Manning, Will fucking Smallbone & Che Adams. 

The "analyst" job at Saints must be a piece of piss these days!

Sign up any old keeper, fuck analysing the opposition - alright maybe see what they do for corners and the odd free kick - fuck off to the pub at lunch time and don't come back.

56 minutes ago, Challenger said:

It's so easy to slag off the manager on here for his failings but has anybody actually tried his snake oil ?

I did, but the bottle had a hole in the bottom and it leaked faster than I could drink it!

• Haha 1

On 04/04/2024 at 10:29, Weston Super Saint said:

I heard a quote from the commentators for the Ipswich game that we don't bother to analyse our opponents.

Basically, we are too arrogant (or lazy) to let that bother us. Apparently we'll look at a few of their set pieces and then practice passing in triangles. 

Is this fucking serious?

I coach U16s and knowing the style of play, formation, tendencies etc. of the oppo is paramount in our preparation for the game. 

U16s! But apparently not at pro level. Staggering! 

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

Is this fucking serious?

I coach U16s and knowing the style of play, formation, tendencies etc. of the oppo is paramount in our preparation for the game. 

U16s! But apparently not at pro level. Staggering! 

Of course not. We have a tactical analysis department and full time positions dedicated to opponent analysis.

9 hours ago, LGTL said:

We will just become Swansea from his time there. Floating around mid-table playing his failed brand of football with a load of shite on the pitch. Can’t wait. 

A defence that has consisted of KWP, Bednarek and THB on a consistent basis with Downes in front shouldn’t have conceded 51 fucking goals, the same as QPR. It’s been a horror show by Martin defensively. 

Swansea in the Prem or Swansea in the Championship? 😉

11 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

You have to factor in the Ankersen factor, that in all probability he hasn’t the faintest idea what he’s doing. Could be Wilcox wanted Maresca and when that fell through Rasmus had already identified a lower league Pep lite to sate his Man City on sea fetish. Wilcox was ‘sod it’ let’s try it. 

That's exactly the way I see it. He was (rightly) crucified for his Jones disaster, so went 180 degrees with a "Pep lite". He's desperate to be hailed as the genius who thinks outside the box by bringing in a manager that nobody else would seriously consider.

The only box associated with deluded Rasmus is a box of frogs.

• Like 1

I find it funny the amount of rumours that appear when we suddenly go through a dodgy spell. 

Russell Martin was or wasn’t Jason Wilcox’s pick. Rasmus Ankersen was involved all along. We don’t watch opposition tactics or how they play. He’s throwing players under the bus. He was never the clubs number one target.

Might as well throw in that he strangles kittens and stubs his cigarettes out on the homeless.

The amount of bollocks that gets written.

RM has not helped himself a number of times. But he is clearly half decent and has something about him. Him and his team have clearly brought the club and fans together. He’s let himself down with team selections these past couple of months, but teams don’t go 25 games unbeaten with poor management.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 03/04/2024 at 09:07, Jack said:

I detest this talk of how the points total would’ve been good enough in previous seasons. The standard outside the top 6 is really poor, and it was last season which is why Burnley and Sheffield Utd pissed it. The pissed it and have still hugely struggled in the Prem. 

There’s loads of dross in this league that we should’ve beaten but haven’t, and that’s why we’re out of the autos race 

But, and it may not be helpful to your argument, Sheffield United went up in second place with less than two points per game last season.  This season is materially different, it’s just a fact.  Detestable or otherwise….

On 03/04/2024 at 11:22, saintant said:

Who would be your two holding midfielders?

Downes and either Charles or Smallbone, with the latter forced to be deeper.  But in truth I don’t think the squad this season has been built for the system of two holders.  It would need to be addressed in summer window

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I find it funny the amount of rumours that appear when we suddenly go through a dodgy spell. 

Russell Martin was or wasn’t Jason Wilcox’s pick. Rasmus Ankersen was involved all along. We don’t watch opposition tactics or how they play. He’s throwing players under the bus. He was never the clubs number one target.

Might as well throw in that he strangles kittens and stubs his cigarettes out on the homeless.

The amount of bollocks that gets written.

RM has not helped himself a number of times. But he is clearly half decent and has something about him. Him and his team have clearly brought the club and fans together. He’s let himself down with team selections these past couple of months, but teams don’t go 25 games unbeaten with poor management.

Well said.

• Like 1

Results are all that matters in this football business. What RM has proved is that there are at least three managers in this league who are better than him. If SR are content to have the 4th best manager in this league then so be it but it isn't an obvious recipe for success. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Results are all that matters in this football business. What RM has proved is that there are at least three managers in this league who are better than him. If SR are content to have the 4th best manager in this league then so be it but it isn't an obvious recipe for success. 

If only it was as simple as that.  The best manager in this league could be Mark Robins or Russell himself.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I wish he would just fuck off.  

I wish he hadn’t come here in the first place. I never felt he was the right fit after the shit we have been through and what we needed to achieve this season. 

• Like 3

His inconsistent selection policy must cause some disharmony amongst the squad plus the fact we have a bloated squad in midfield and attacking positions. To drop Adams today was senseless. He could have dropped him after Boro game and no one would have questioned it. For me his two biggest failings are his blind faith in Bazuna and his obsession with shoehorning Stephens into the side. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

His inconsistent selection policy must cause some disharmony amongst the squad plus the fact we have a bloated squad in midfield and attacking positions. To drop Adams today was senseless. He could have dropped him after Boro game and no one would have questioned it. For me his two biggest failings are his blind faith in Bazuna and his obsession with shoehorning Stephens into the side. 

Can someone do a 'since Stephens has been shoehorned back in' type of analysis as I can't be arsed and I've a feeling it coincides with our shite performances.