The Championship Thread - 2023/24

CSA96

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I’ll bet he still takes the money though.

I'm amazed there aren't clauses in these contracts preventing pay for refusing to play.

Contracts work both ways, and if you expect to be paid after refusing to play even though you were happy enough to sign a lengthy contract, then you're an arsebasket. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Ohh Leeds, 1 point from 2 games. Definitely shows that despite the imperfections, we can be thankful we've actually had a reasonably positive league start.

Thought all along they’d struggle, but they’ll bounce around January

Im not convinced Farke is all that, outside of the Norwich bubble and the clubs in a bit of a mess, post takeover, much like us last year

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Thought all along they’d struggle, but they’ll bounce around January

Im not convinced Farke is all that, outside of the Norwich bubble and the clubs in a bit of a mess, post takeover, much like us last year

I think we can be thankful, thus far at least, that none of our better players have refused to play for us. Che, KWP, Charly, JWP, Tella - they’ve all started the season playing despite links away from the club and showed their professionalism. Even Lavia hasn’t spoken out about leaving albeit we’ve not played him. Really only Salisu has come close and that was last season. Leeds have now had Gnoto and Sinisterra act up, and from Farke’s comments some of their younger players are not training well. I like Farke, I do think he’s a decent manager and he does know the Leeds job is going to be a tough one but I do think he’s bitten off more than he can chew.

• Like 1

The EFL highlights on ITV were, umm, interesting !

An 8 goal thriller doesn’t get top billing cos some American footballer taking over Birmingham is apparently more interesting to probably absolutely nobody who doesn’t support Birmingham.

Then we get a diabolical Scottish commentator who, presumably cos they are Scottish bangs on about Armstrong and Adams whilst making comments like “he’s almost taken the net off it’s hinges” 🤦🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Harrison, Sinisterra, Gnoto all leaving/refusing to play. Doesn't leave them with much quality.

They are in a little bit of a mess to be fair, it's transpired that the guys they signed in January (Rutter, Max Wober) had relegation release clauses, not for a fee, but loan clauses! Max Wobber has already left on loan, Rutter is going out on loan too apparently.

Then you've got Harrison, signed a new deal in January but that also came with the big relegation loan clause in it - so the move to Everton will be a loan deal, not any fee. They also lost their top scorer Rodrigo for £2m due to a ridiculously low relegation release clause, so the problem they have now is that they're not generating any revenue by losing their better players - so they're stuck signing freebies like Sam Byram and the odd loan here and there.

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They are in a little bit of a mess to be fair, it's transpired that the guys they signed in January (Rutter, Max Wober) had relegation release clauses, not for a fee, but loan clauses! Max Wobber has already left on loan, Rutter is going out on loan too apparently.

Then you've got Harrison, signed a new deal in January but that also came with the big relegation loan clause in it - so the move to Everton will be a loan deal, not any fee. They also lost their top scorer Rodrigo for £2m due to a ridiculously low relegation release clause, so the problem they have now is that they're not generating any revenue by losing their better players - so they're stuck signing freebies like Sam Byram and the odd loan here and there.

They do know, that we have a shit load of pl quality players they can loan from us, including a GK, 2 x CBS, a couple of strikers, and a couple of wide midfielders.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Thought Madley was bad as ref during Wednesday game. Having watching league highlights i see we got the good Madley. Booking a player for celebrating his first goal in front of his teams fans.

These new measures have not been introduced unilaterally by individual referees. The commands come from higher up. Whether we agree with them or dislike them we are stuck with them for the time being. Perhaps the players and training staff will adapt over time remains to be seen but we are talking about footballers here who are not renowned for their intelligence.

3 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

These new measures have not been introduced unilaterally by individual referees. The commands come from higher up. Whether we agree with them or dislike them we are stuck with them for the time being. Perhaps the players and training staff will adapt over time remains to be seen but we are talking about footballers here who are not renowned for their intelligence.

I don’t dislike them overall but we’ll be seeing depleted squads within a month or two due to bans

Genuinely, with that and the mess at Leeds.. Middlesborough losing their best players, Coventry losing Hamer

I know Im optimistic here but it feels like it has to be us and Leicester leading the way surely 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I don’t dislike them overall but we’ll be seeing depleted squads within a month or two due to bans

Genuinely, with that and the mess at Leeds.. Middlesborough losing their best players, Coventry losing Hamer

I know Im optimistic here but it feels like it has to be us and Leicester leading the way surely 

I think Ipswich are looking impressive. I can see a team like them going the distance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We're in trouble on that front, we've got the most yellow cards in the league so far, 11 dished out to us over the two games.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We're in trouble on that front, we've got the most yellow cards in the league so far, 11 dished out to us over the two games.

It was crazy how often the ref was getting the yellow card out yesterday, bloke behind me nearly had an embolism when I think Bednerak ran off with the ball after the ref gave Norwich a free kick and got booked. The totting up process means we’re going to be seeing a lot of suspensions due to too many yellows a lot earlier than usual.

6 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

Leicester still have a few quality players and have got two good results so far. I'd pop them as favourites for the title.

First eleven looks solid and settled.

I fancy them, Ipswich and Hull.

8 hours ago, Chez said:

Norwich looked pretty good (I'd say clearly the better team) against Hull last week and just drew with us. Given that nothing much has changed for them (Barnes replacing Pukki, Stacey replacing Aarons, plus Duffy and Fassnacht joining) and they only finished 13th last season, every team from 4th through to 15th from last year would be a chance. Anything could happen.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chez said:

I watched Leicester against Coventry and I thought their defence looked terrible. Coventry seemed to be able to get through their defence at will and perhaps should have scored more than their 1 goal. That said I thought that, in posession, Leicester looked really good, especially as the game went on. They also were able to bring on Iheanacho for Vardy, Dewkesbury Hall had a really good game too with a good goal to show for it. I def think Leicester will be up there, and if they sort out their defence in this window they could run away with it.

Edited by The Kraken

31 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I watched Leicester against Coventry and I thought their defence looked terrible. Coventry seemed to be able to get through their defence at will and perhaps should have scored more than their 1 goal. That said I thought that, in posession, Leicester looked really good, especially as the game went on. They also were able to bring on Iheanacho for Vardy, Dewkesbury Hall had a really good game too with a good goal to show for it. I def think Leicester will be up there, and if they sort out their defence in this window they could run away with it.

Some PL clubs sniffing around some of their players still, they sound like they are in the same boat as us. Sort the defence out and it will be all sweeeeeet.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Plymouth Manager departed for Stoke City.

Plymouth linked with Leighton Baines (???), and two former skates, Cowley , and Cotterill among others. 

Other managerial news - as widely mooted Cooper sacked at Forest. Wouldn’t be surprised  if he ended up a Championship club with potential. 

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Plymouth linked with Leighton Baines (???), and two former skates, Cowley , and Cotterill among others. 

Other managerial news - as widely mooted Cooper sacked at Forest. Wouldn’t be surprised  if he ended up a Championship club with potential. 

Not sure who - The top 6 managers are all stable and doing well, I think you have to go down to Norwich before you see a manager that could be in a little bit of trouble in Wagner. Swansea and Plymouth don't have managers right now but are they big enough propositions for Cooper? Apparently Palace are monitoring the situation with a view to getting him to replace Hodgson.

17 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Not sure who - The top 6 managers are all stable and doing well, I think you have to go down to Norwich before you see a manager that could be in a little bit of trouble in Wagner. Swansea and Plymouth don't have managers right now but are they big enough propositions for Cooper? Apparently Palace are monitoring the situation with a view to getting him to replace Hodgson.

Although it will never happen, the pompey bloke is 10/1.....people actually putting money on it LOL

image.thumb.png.bfa49c4e0d8e5f08ad96e7e4580b0209.png

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Carrick at Boro could be struggling soon.

I think like pretty much all high profile sacked managers, Cooper will take a bit of time. Few ever really jump straight in to another job, it's incredibly rare - Dean Smith to Norwich after Villa is the only one recently and that went great. We had all this last season with people convincing themselves that Graham Potter would get sacked at Chelsea and walk into Staplewood the next day. A year on, he still hasn't taken a job.

Cooper is not going to pitch up at a Championship club this season. His most likely next role will be a freshly relegated one next summer, or someone like us or Leeds if we blow the play offs and panic. Maybe the Welsh job, but probably too early and not well paid enough.

7 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I’m interested in comparing how we are doing against our last promotion season. Does anyone know of a particular website that lets you look at how the league table looked after 23 games when we were last in the league? 

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/league-table/2011-2012/date/20111226

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Block41 Saint said:

Thank you, Sir.

Interesting that we are only 2 points behind where we were at this stage last time. Same 2 points behind where Burnley were at this stage last season too. Shows how good a job The top 2 have done so far. 

I think we can catch Ipswich, just a question of whether we can finish ahead of Leeds too.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 1

For the first time this season, we're further ahead on points compared to the same number of games played in Nigel Adkins' promotion season. Back then we had a bit of a wobble in December, but it was still enough to stay top with 47 points. At this stage, in both seasons we have 14 wins, the key difference being we've still only lost 4 this time around. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/spieltagtabelle/wettbewerb/GB2?saison_id=2011&spieltag=24

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/spieltagtabelle/wettbewerb/GB2?saison_id=2023&spieltag=24

Still a long way to go, but back in September I really didn't expect us to trouble the top 2 at any point, so it's tremendous that we are on this run. I'm sure there will be bumps along the way and the odd defeat shouldn't de-rail our season, but it's increasingly looking like we are capable of fighting for automatic promotion. Whether we get it or not, who knows, but I'm enjoying it. Bring on the rest of the season.

• Like 2