Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Yep. That's what happens when you change it every game. Let's have six consecutive games of starting KWP, Jan, THB and Manning and see how Baz looks at the end of that.

Glad you didn't say "Let's have six consecutive games of starting KWP, Jan, HOLGATE and Manning and see how Baz looks at the end of that."

Being talked out of hanging himself off the crossbar by the Samaritans is how that would have ended. 🙂

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yep. That's what happens when you change it every game. Let's have six consecutive games of starting KWP, Jan, THB and Manning and see how Baz looks at the end of that.

Need settled MF as well, Downes and Charles, just having the same back 4 is not enough, we all know it is the MF that protect the defenders and ultimately the keeper.

• Like 3

1. Unsighted, could've done better but would've been a great save.

2. Free header at the back post, again could've done better/stayed bigger but not his fault.

3. Great shot across him into the side of the net. Not an expert on positioning, but looks borderline unsaveable regardless.

4. Free header loops in just inside the post. My criticism would be what's he doing pushing the opposition player around instead of getting ready to make a save (you're a keeper and there's no VAR; "accidentally" run your studs down his achilles one time and you'll have your six yard box to yourself for the rest of the game), and why does he take a second little hop after the header but before he dives for it? He looks to have slow reactions at times, but I'm not sure if it's actual slow reactions or these extra little hops leaving him too late to make the save.

5. Manning howler leaves a free shot.

6. Manning slips, untracked near post run leaves a tap in.

7. Unsighted, in off the post. Again it looks like slow reactions but I give the benefit of the doubt to the fact he was shifting his weight to the right to try to see around players in front of him.

8. Untracked run back post, great header downwards. Maybe could've done better (save with his foot or rush the player to cut down the angle once he sees there's a free header incoming)?

9. Thick deflection, which is then curling away from him along the ground. Maybe could've done better.

10. Should've saved it; his first and only howler for a goal this season. The presence of a couple of players in his eyeline didn't help, and you can lay the primary blame with Holgate for turning the ball over and then charging out of position (with a dishonourable mention for Downes' defending afterwards) but not good from Bazunu.

11. Great first save after Holgate gifts his man a free header (pushed wide and well away from goal) but can't save a tap in after Holgate has an airswing on the low ball back in. Arguably, after covering the near post in case the ball back in is a shot, he should be quicker to move back across goal when he sees it's not. But that's harsh.

12. Unmarked man (/kid) back post has a largely free header (token effort from a late-arriving Downes, though arguable KWP should've handed off his man) and heads down well. Could've done better, maybe should've been a little more central.

I'd like to see him stay bigger and be more aggressive, and his slow reactions/extra hops before diving don't help him, AND there have been a few poor saves from him which haven't resulted in goals, but there's also been plenty of terrible play in front of him to put him under pressure.

He's not a very good shot stopper, but he's very good in possession. For the way the manager wants to play, that's better than being a good shot stopper who can't pass to save his life. In an ideal world you'd have both, and mixed in with the dross there have been some great saves from Bazunu so maybe in time he'll provide both (certainly for the price paid for him he should do). He's clearly the best keeper on the books and "YHGTI", so while I get the exact opposite feeling when a shot comes in ("Oh no, this is a goal") to the one I used to get before a JWP free kick ("Oh yes, this is a goal") I'll support him because he's the best and only option right now. (Whether he should be or not is another matter.)

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, chiknsmack said:

so while I get the exact opposite feeling when a shot comes in ("Oh no, this is a goal") 

Amazing. A goalkeeper that anytime a shot comes in you think "oh no, this is a goal" and you're happy with him because he can pass it. 

By the way, for all this lauded passing ability i've only seen him pass it short to the defenders and punt it upfield usually to be given away, not seen any decent distribution to the fullbacks/wingers etc. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Amazing. A goalkeeper that anytime a shot comes in you think "oh no, this is a goal" and you're happy with him because he can pass it. 

By the way, for all this lauded passing ability i've only seen him pass it short to the defenders and punt it upfield usually to be given away, not seen any decent distribution to the fullbacks/wingers etc. 

Agree on the distribution point. Highly over-rated from what I've seen so far. Like you say, he is fine at the the simple stuff but, other than that, he tends to just lump it aimlessly. Compare that to the long passes of many other keepers and he's pretty average at best.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

The defenders are different, the system is different, the managers are different even the division is different yet we are still conceding goals from nearly every shot on target. Ask yourself what the common denominator is

Law of averages Turkish. If your defence is so loose it allows the opposition to pepper the goal with shots, inevitably some are going in.

That isn't a defence of Bazuna, there are issues there but Peter Shilton would struggle behind a defence set up like that.

It's been a mess for years, I can't remember the last manager to have it sorted, Koeman I guess.

It is priority no 1 and needs urgent action.

11 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Law of averages Turkish. If your defence is so loose it allows the opposition to pepper the goal with shots, inevitably some are going in.

That isn't a defence of Bazuna, there are issues there but Peter Shilton would struggle behind a defence set up like that.

It's been a mess for years, I can't remember the last manager to have it sorted, Koeman I guess.

It wasn't really a problem last season - particularly for the first two thirds of the season.

Only Man United, Arsenal, Man City, Brighton and Newcastle faced less shots on target than we did.

That's why some of us have already lost our patience with Bazunu, and he's hardly doing anything to put it right this season - although admittedly the defence is more of a mess.

22 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Koeman though had an experienced keeper, an experienced Centre back and then brought in quality to play alongside them, Alderwierld and Van Dijk. We've relied on a kid on goal who had never played above league one level and obsession with youth and resale value, rather than bringing in quality and experience in key positions. Attacks win games, defences win titles i believe a great man once said.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

2. Free header at the back post, again could've done better/stayed bigger but not his fault.

3. Great shot across him into the side of the net. Not an expert on positioning, but looks borderline unsaveable regardless.

4. Free header loops in just inside the post. My criticism would be what's he doing pushing the opposition player around instead of getting ready to make a save (you're a keeper and there's no VAR; "accidentally" run your studs down his achilles one time and you'll have your six yard box to yourself for the rest of the game), and why does he take a second little hop after the header but before he dives for it? He looks to have slow reactions at times, but I'm not sure if it's actual slow reactions or these extra little hops leaving him too late to make the save.

7. Unsighted, in off the post. Again it looks like slow reactions but I give the benefit of the doubt to the fact he was shifting his weight to the right to try to see around players in front of him.

8. Untracked run back post, great header downwards. Maybe could've done better (save with his foot or rush the player to cut down the angle once he sees there's a free header incoming)?

9. Thick deflection, which is then curling away from him along the ground. Maybe could've done better.

10. Should've saved it; his first and only howler for a goal this season. The presence of a couple of players in his eyeline didn't help, and you can lay the primary blame with Holgate for turning the ball over and then charging out of position (with a dishonourable mention for Downes' defending afterwards) but not good from Bazunu.

11. Great first save after Holgate gifts his man a free header (pushed wide and well away from goal) but can't save a tap in after Holgate has an airswing on the low ball back in. Arguably, after covering the near post in case the ball back in is a shot, he should be quicker to move back across goal when he sees it's not. But that's harsh.

12. Unmarked man (/kid) back post has a largely free header (token effort from a late-arriving Downes, though arguable KWP should've handed off his man) and heads down well. Could've done better, maybe should've been a little more central.

I'd like to see him stay bigger and be more aggressive, and his slow reactions/extra hops before diving don't help him, AND there have been a few poor saves from him which haven't resulted in goals, but there's also been plenty of terrible play in front of him to put him under pressure.

He's not a very good shot stopper, but he's very good in possession. For the way the manager wants to play, that's better than being a good shot stopper who can't pass to save his life. In an ideal world you'd have both, and mixed in with the dross there have been some great saves from Bazunu so maybe in time he'll provide both (certainly for the price paid for him he should do). He's clearly the best keeper on the books and "YHGTI", so while I get the exact opposite feeling when a shot comes in ("Oh no, this is a goal") to the one I used to get before a JWP free kick ("Oh yes, this is a goal") I'll support him because he's the best and only option right now. (Whether he should be or not is another matter.)

This is the sort of posts i like on here, someone has gone and looked at each of the goals and given a fair reflection of what went wrong rather than building a narrative on 1 player.

Teams concede goals together and from the forwards backwards they all carry blame from not tracking back, missing tackles, giving the ball away etc etc before the ball is even near the goalie.

Its like we expect the goalie to be an un-defeatable robot, they make mistakes.

People keep lauding kasper schemical but he conceded 6 v spurs, 4 v bournemouth etc etc, its never just the goalie.

• Like 4

It's not all his fault of course, but methinks the decision to rely upon this young and inexperienced goal keeper was - arguably - one of the principle factors behind last season's utter disaster. I'm also thinking that Bazunu is showing every sign of costing us a golden promotion opportunity this season, unless something changes that is. It's well nigh incomprehensible to me why we have placed ourselves in danger of repeating last season's critical error - I can only think that our coaching staff must be seeing something in him that a ordinary fan,such as myself, just can't. 

But right or wrong surly signing a experienced - that is top of the championship level at least - back up keeper should really have been very near the top of our transfer priority list given the generous amount of money available. 

• Like 1

Interesting hearing on TSP that leicester have 5 senior keepers.

Reinforces the feeling that we should have done something different than the Lumley signing even if we were aiming for Bazanu to suddenly find his feet. Right now we're in a position where we really have no alternative to keep persisting with him and hope that he has more competent displays where we protect him better (Qpr) than games like saturday where he was poor and we exposed him badly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

We're not getting another keeper. We're stuck with Baz at the very least until McCarthy leaves the club. 

If Baz continues to make errors (I get that he's not the only one) and we find ourselves losing ground in the promotion race because of the goalkeeping weakness I think JW will have no choice but to look for another keeper in January.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

This is the sort of posts i like on here, someone has gone and looked at each of the goals and given a fair reflection of what went wrong rather than building a narrative on 1 player.

Teams concede goals together and from the forwards backwards they all carry blame from not tracking back, missing tackles, giving the ball away etc etc before the ball is even near the goalie.

People keep lauding kasper schemical but he conceded 6 v spurs, 4 v bournemouth etc etc, its never just the goalie.

Kasper Schmeichel does not have a catastrophic save to shots ratio like Bazunu’s which was the worst across european leagues last season.

You can blame team collective for goals conceded but not when we systematically concede when the majority of opposition’s shot on target

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Most keepers do 3 things. 

1. Make really good saves 

2. Make saves they should make.

3. Make errors.

He only does the last 2. Any shot or header anywhere near the corner or struck decently is a goal. 

You can analyse the goals he’s conceded all you want, but a championship keeper should be saving some of the ones he lets in that aren’t outright howlers. He doesn’t save anything a third of fourth tier keeper wouldn’t save. 

Fucking hell, he’s either the unluckiest keeper in the world, every shot on target is unsaveable or he’s fucking pony. I know which one I think it is

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Koeman though had an experienced keeper, an experienced Centre back and then brought in quality to play alongside them, Alderwierld and Van Dijk. We've relied on a kid on goal who had never played above league one level and obsession with youth and resale value, rather than bringing in quality and experience in key positions. Attacks win games, defences win titles i believe a great man once said.

The thing about the resale is that it just don't work for keepers. I understand the model with kids in attacking positions. Tella has one good season in the Championship and he's worth 20m. Lavia a dozen excellent prem matches and he's worth over 50m. If Edozie bags 15 goals this season he will probably be worth 30-40m. People can disagree with the approach (I do to a certain extent, the club should be more than how much we can sell players for) but I can at least see the logic behind it.

With Baz, I don't see the logic. The math isn't mathing. Keepers just don't sell for that much.

I just had a look on Transfermarkt. He is already the 43rd most expensive goalkeeper in history, and would have been in the top 40 when we signed him! To double in value, he would have to be in the top 10 most expensive goalkeepers of all time! The amount we paid isn't a 'project'. That's how much you pay for an established and experienced prem goalkeeper, not some kid who is statistically one of the worst in Europe who has never paid above League One level. The clubs needs to admit it has totally fucked this up. Even IF he turns out good, the reward isn't going to be some massive transfer cheque. It could be decent, but we aren't going to see Lavia type money. And right now he has contributed to us losing premier league status, and could cost us promotion. It's just not worth the perseverance. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

This sums it up for me. Even the goal being claimed to be a howler, actually wasn’t. It was a very well hit shot, and he managed to get a hand too, in a very similar way to Onana yesterday against Rice. Sometimes the goalie can get in the way of a shot and it still go in. Look at Patterson’s flukey ricochet in the second half. If this has been Bazunu it would have been called terrible keeping. The modern approach, especially using social media/ forums is to be extremely harsh as the other person cannot see you, when in real life you’d be a little more sensitive to the body language (reaction from the other party). Bazunu is certainly not deliberately making mistakes but is being exposed to far more clear cut chances than most other keepers over the last 15 months. Let’s have a bit of patience and sort out the teams defensive approach and then judge.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

He's not a very good shot stopper, but he's very good in possession. For the way the manager wants to play, that's better than being a good shot stopper who can't pass to save his life. In an ideal world you'd have both

Great overall post @chiknsmack but I'm inclined to disagree with the point you make above...

To me, it's essential, not just "ideal" that a keeper in a team the way we play needs to be a good shot-stopper too. Possession football is naturally high risk and it's therefore inevitable that we'll give the ball away in our final third much more than our opponents... as such, we will have much more 1-on-1s with our keeper than other less possession-obsessed teams will, in addition to more speculative shots from outside the box. It's therefore imperitive that our keeper is a good shot-stopper, otherwise the goals against tally ends up outweighing the benefits of keeping possession of the ball in the first place.

Edited by trousers

14 minutes ago, Polegategavin243 said:

This sums it up for me. Even the goal being claimed to be a howler, actually wasn’t. It was a very well hit shot, and he managed to get a hand too, in a very similar way to Onana yesterday against Rice. Sometimes the goalie can get in the way of a shot and it still go in. Look at Patterson’s flukey ricochet in the second half. If this has been Bazunu it would have been called terrible keeping. The modern approach, especially using social media/ forums is to be extremely harsh as the other person cannot see you, when in real life you’d be a little more sensitive to the body language (reaction from the other party). Bazunu is certainly not deliberately making mistakes but is being exposed to far more clear cut chances than most other keepers over the last 15 months. Let’s have a bit of patience and sort out the teams defensive approach and then judge.

I'm with you. I've watched that video several times and I don't see errors or think he could/should have `done better'. For most of them I find myself saying out loud "no chance". Perhaps the third against Sunderland is an error and he could/should have saved it, but I don't see that as some sort of calamitous error - he just doesn't get there. I understand that is the point some are making though - he just doesn't seem to save those shots and that's his job saving stuff. 

That's not to say he hasn't made errors or let shots go in that he should have done a lot better with in the past. I just don't see them in that Championship goals conceded so far video - which is why it annoyed me that much of the focus after the Sunderland defeat was on his performance when it should have been on other players and the manager IMO.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sydney_saint said:

The thing about the resale is that it just don't work for keepers. I understand the model with kids in attacking positions. Tella has one good season in the Championship and he's worth 20m. Lavia a dozen excellent prem matches and he's worth over 50m. If Edozie bags 15 goals this season he will probably be worth 30-40m. People can disagree with the approach (I do to a certain extent, the club should be more than how much we can sell players for) but I can at least see the logic behind it.

With Baz, I don't see the logic. The math isn't mathing. Keepers just don't sell for that much.

I just had a look on Transfermarkt. He is already the 43rd most expensive goalkeeper in history, and would have been in the top 40 when we signed him! To double in value, he would have to be in the top 10 most expensive goalkeepers of all time! The amount we paid isn't a 'project'. That's how much you pay for an established and experienced prem goalkeeper, not some kid who is statistically one of the worst in Europe who has never paid above League One level. The clubs needs to admit it has totally fucked this up. Even IF he turns out good, the reward isn't going to be some massive transfer cheque. It could be decent, but we aren't going to see Lavia type money. And right now he has contributed to us losing premier league status, and could cost us promotion. It's just not worth the perseverance. 

Whichever way you cut it City saw us coming and mugged us off. Not sure who were the ones involved from our club but it was one horrendous piece of business. We should never have paid anything over 5 million at most and that's being generous.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm with you. I've watched that video several times and I don't see errors or think he could/should have `done better'. For most of them I find myself saying out loud "no chance". Perhaps the third against Sunderland is an error and he could/should have saved it, but I don't see that as some sort of calamitous error - he just doesn't get there. I understand that is the point some are making though - he just doesn't seem to save those shots and that's his job saving stuff. 

That's not to say he hasn't made errors or let shots go in that he should have done a lot better with in the past. I just don't see them in that Championship goals conceded so far video - which is why it annoyed me that much of the focus after the Sunderland defeat was on his performance when it should have been on other players and the manager IMO.

We've been having these arguments for over a year now and nothing changes. Therefore those defending Baz must believe zero is being done to bolster the defence in front of him. If and when that happens then presumably the goals against will reduce and errors attributable to Baz will reduce considerably. Currently he is paying the price of playing behind such a crap defence. It's a theory but I'm not convinced.

I have been very critical of Baz but I think he is being unfairly criticised this time. I would suggest 'untouchables' aka KWP should be looked at, watch again he's nowhere to be seen in some of the goals and as for the fourth he's hardly trotting back into position

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I have been very critical of Baz but I think he is being unfairly criticised this time. I would suggest 'untouchables' aka KWP should be looked at, watch again he's nowhere to be seen in some of the goals and as for the fourth he's hardly trotting back into position

Had a shocker, defensively. Strolling around throughout. 

33 minutes ago, saintant said:

We've been having these arguments for over a year now and nothing changes. Therefore those defending Baz must believe zero is being done to bolster the defence in front of him. If and when that happens then presumably the goals against will reduce and errors attributable to Baz will reduce considerably. Currently he is paying the price of playing behind such a crap defence. It's a theory but I'm not convinced.

Well it seems to me hes facing a lot more attempts on goal that he should do. Not closing down crosses is a problem. We just dont have that rugged no nonsense centre half who just gets the ball away. I tire at the opinion a centre half should be silky, no he should get the ball away and let the midfield find the way to get it back, the same goes for keepers, save the ball not worry about the ability to play the perfect pass

8 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

I went through every goal conceded this season so far before I saw your post and I have 3 goals conceded where I think he should've done better, 1 where he could've done better.  There were zero goals scored that were his making, he hasn't gifted a goal this season.

I've not seen Lumley play but if it was a choice between Baz and Macca then it's Baz all day long.

Our fucking defending on the other hand is ridiculously bad.  So fucking passive it's a joke.  As a defender you have to be willing to put your body on the line, far too many of our defenders are seemingly incapable of doing this.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Well it seems to me hes facing a lot more attempts on goal that he should do. Not closing down crosses is a problem. We just dont have that rugged no nonsense centre half who just gets the ball away. I tire at the opinion a centre half should be silky, no he should get the ball away and let the midfield find the way to get it back, the same goes for keepers, save the ball not worry about the ability to play the perfect pass

You'll need to get used to it because that's the way we'll be playing for the foreseeable future. Hoofing the ball clear isn't an option (under the SR/Wilcox/Martin philosophy)

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Spot on! 

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

You'll need to get used to it because that's the way we'll be playing for the foreseeable future. Hoofing the ball clear isn't an option (under the SR/Wilcox/Martin philosophy)

I dont want to hoof the ball per say but needs must. A commanding centre half is so important, look at Brighton Dunk and Webster are not what i see as silky centre backs, they fight and win the ball and the rest of the team play the beautiful stuff

10 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

So how many points lost by Saints this season been the fault of GB three wins so zero in those games he may have been at fault for one of the goals on Saturday but I am not sure he lost us any points as we were well and truly thumped.

So was he directly responsible for any of the goals against Norwich when we dropped two points not sure he was.

I do not think it is a good idea to have such a young goalkeeper unless he was exceptional which he is clearly not but he must have something about him to get into the Man City academy.

During our other promotions to Div 1 we had in 1966 Campbell Forsyth experienced Scottish International Peter Wells a 22 year old Goalkeeper from Nottm Forest in 1978 and the latest was experienced Kelvin Davies

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

I dont want to hoof the ball per say but needs must. A commanding centre half is so important, look at Brighton Dunk and Webster are not what i see as silky centre backs, they fight and win the ball and the rest of the team play the beautiful stuff

You clearly don't watch Brighton much. Yes Dunk and Webster are no nonsense strong centre backs but they can play or De Zerbi wouldn't be picking them. A lot of Brighton's attacks start with either centre back pinging low, hard and accurate passes into their midfielders who then get on the turn and fore into opposition territory.

• Like 2

Had sketchy internet while at a festival so could only sporadically load pages to see what was going on.

From what I read I expected to see some horrendous goalkeeping in the highlights when I watched them, but there really wasn't. 

Keepers routinely palm shots back into the penalty area. I've not seen much from this weekend but noticed Ramsdale did it against Man Utd who probably should have scored. When the ball is flying towards you at pace the reaction is to save it in any way. When there's more time it can be palmed more safely to the side.

As posted above, Onana who is a world class keeper, let one in at the near post (another myth that has been busted in an Instagram message I have previously posted by Kasper Schmeichel) he was also made to look silly last week in the 1v1 against Forest.

Largely the goals this season have come about through a few great shots, poor defensive team set up, a lack of midfield covering breaks and some laughable defending.

• Like 3

The way i saw it the 2nd and 3rd goals are the slightly concerning ones that make me query his reaction/movement/positioning. I think other keepers would put themselves in better positions and therefore save them.

The 2nd is standing flat footed for a long distance shot and then can't react when the ball deflects. If the ball is being hit left to right, surely if he was moving that direction he'd have been better placed to react to the deflection.

The 3rd he seems to be unbalanced , meaning he is struggles to shift his weight and get down to his left.

He's certainly not the reason we lost but i don't think the stats are completely lying either. He's going to be our keeper(because he's the only 1 we've got who can play way martin wants with the ball), so hopefully coaching staff can work with him and develop.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to look at (and analyse) an `all the goals conceded' video of a few championship teams just to get an idea of the kind of errors, poor positioning, and instances of could do better etc. for other keepers. I wonder how Baz compares to them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

From his managerial career so far I'm very much doubting that he's capable of addressing it.

Let's not damn the man after 5 games, we have 10 points and something that needs to be worked on during the next 2 weeks, also hopefully some better set pieces to be developed.

Aside from the defending one thing that I still don't like is the walk the ball.around in the final 3rd giving the oppo time to reset, that needs to change either faster passing or execute better in the transition.

• Like 1

Andrew Madley was on the treadmill next to me in the gym 30 minutes ago, I praised his brothers performance at Hillsborough 1st game of the season which he seemed pleased to hear. Taking my chance tongue in cheek I asked if he or more likely his brother could give Gavin or Holgate a straight red the next time they officiated a game of ours to give us a 3 game break. He gave me a rather confused look and didn't laugh... the kind of face he knew he couldn't comment. 😅

Edited by Yorkshire Saint

10 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Just seen on Twitter that he’s statistically second worst this season so far for expected shots conceded. 

At least that’s an improvement from last season I guess 

Excellent, only another 19 relegations and we'll have the best keeper in the league. 

20 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Just seen on Twitter that he’s statistically second worst this season so far for expected shots conceded. 

At least that’s an improvement from last season I guess 

I think it’s unfair to write him off so early in the season, give him time and he’ll get back to the top spot, three weeks should do it.  #scapegoat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

True indeed.  But he does have a Premier League winners medal. Must have been some good performances there over 38 games.

The thing I don’t get about Bazunu is that he’s become this mainstay despite basically never proving himself with us. He’s been at best questionable ever since he joined, yet has become this automatic pick who not only plays every game but also apparently doesn’t need any real competition within the squad. No other player gets that sort of leniency with so little to back it up by way of performances to fall back on - so why does he get a pass? It surely can’t just be because he can knock a competent pass to a full back standing ten yards away. It’s so weird. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

The thing I don’t get about Bazunu is that he’s become this mainstay despite basically never proving himself with us. He’s been at best questionable ever since he joined, yet has become this automatic pick who not only plays every game but also apparently doesn’t need any real competition within the squad. No other player gets that sort of leniency with so little to back it up by way of performances to fall back on - so why does he get a pass? It surely can’t just be because he can knock a competent pass to a full back standing ten yards away. It’s so weird. 

I think the fact that we paid 12 million for Baz rising to a potential 15 million has a lot to do with why he continues to be our number one.  I'd be inclined to give Lumley a chance - he doesn't fill me with confidence but nor do any of our keepers. Don't think he could do much worse.

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Defences operate far better with a trusted and commanding presence behind them. We haven’t got that. 

But he’s not helped by the fact that the defence are full of mistakes too. 

Nothing to do with it. The defence should operate as a cohesive unit no matter who is in goal. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu